I like this game (do NOT post here, if you don't)!

I actually bought it on Origin when it first came out so that I could get the first game as part of the deal. Years ago, when the first one came out I got it through some uhm... less than legal ways and wanted to "correct" this by getting it in a legitimate form (like I've done now on all my games now that I can afford them :D). I loved how trippy these games are! I had never played all the first one until recently.... man that was painful. I liked the gameplay and story, but hated how touchy the controls were.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying it so far - funnily enough I bought it for myself and my boyfriend bought it for me the same day without either of us realising.

I think the atmosphere is fantastic, and I'm finding it nice to play through something less MASSIVELY rpg than usual.

I'm enjoying this game a lot. Granted the platforming gets really repetitive, but the environments (overall scenery) and the challenge of looking for all the collectibles along the way makes up for it. The only disappointment for me was the lack of bosses. I was hoping to have something harder to fight at the end of each chapter, but all I got was the Dollmaker whom I defeated without taking any damages on my first try.

Some complained that the levels were too long, but it was the opposite for me. When I bought this game, someone said that it only had 6 chapters, so I thought "man not another 3-4 hour single player campaign game", but I was gladly surprised that each chapter stretched enough to make it worth the money.

So overall, beautiful game, fun to play and not too frustrating to 100%.

I'm not enjoying American McGee though. I find the controls and the collisions to be highly frustrating and badly done. Again, good scenery and nice music, but it seems that these are the only elements where they invested any efforts. Also, I still haven't figured out how to save and the auto-save are really rare, forcing me to re-do a big chunk of each chapter many times before I figure out where, what and how.

Also, most games even back in 2000 had a little form of tutorial on how to use newly acquired weapons and skills. American McGee just hands me stuff and pretty much says "Press buttons and see what happens". So I'm not liking that either.

But I'll get through it soon and it'll be element of the past. But at least they did a better job in Madness Returns :p

I played the DLC (American McGee's "Alice") first (since it's the original; I also have it on PC) before playing the sequel, Madness Returns - and thank God I did - because it's not near as good as Madness Returns!!

I enjoyed "Alice" well enough (and I completed it first), but after playing the MUCH BETTER "Alice: Madness Returns" (and completing it), I decided to play a little more of the original... just to compare it... and WHAT A DIFFERENCE in game-play!! I tried replaying the last part of the original game (since it was my most recent game-save for it), and the first thing I did was jump and try to "float" like I did in "Madness Returns..." but I ended-up dropping like a rock. I forgot that Alice doesn't float like she can in the sequel! :p

Still... I'll probably play it again, but I'll do it from the beginning - and I'll make sure I don't play "Madness Returns" right before it (just so I don't get spoiled by the newer game). :D

Now that they made the Online Pass free for this I'm telling everyone I know to pick up a used copy.

Madness Returns was a Day 1 purchase and I haven't regretted it.

The level design and overall tone and pacing was lovely and it felt like it really was a true sequel to the original title. Easily one of the most unique action-adventure games on the market.

Now that they made the Online Pass free for this I'm telling everyone I know to pick up a used copy.

Madness Returns was a Day 1 purchase and I haven't regretted it.

The level design and overall tone and pacing was lovely and it felt like it really was a true sequel to the original title. Easily one of the most unique action-adventure games on the market.

I forgot about the expansion. I bought the game new for $40 and definitely don't regret it. Madness Returns is one of my overall favorite games for Xbox 360 :D

I love this game, one of the first ones I bought. Lots of fun to play. The music, the settings, the graphics, the characters, all of it is incredible. The detail and imagination that is put into games like this is amazing. Finished all the achievements for it, just 3 left for the DLC now, which I have yet to finish.

EDIT: Finally finished American McGee's Alice and got my 100%, terrific game.

Edited by MeltingBalloons

• 2 weeks later...
This game's story/plot was fantastic, the whole idea about finding the memories in her fantasy land were great ways of trying to predict what really happened on the night of the fire.

:whs

I really loved how the game was an awesomely twisted interpretation of the original story! Just a really brilliant game! Can't complain about it, even my girlfriend loved and finished the game! And thats a rare thing. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Few quick things - I've read the book a lot of times...And, you know, you always wonder how they'll make a movie or a game or else by it. Sooo popular these days, isn't it? Just taking every story or fairy tail and making sh*t of it.

But Alice is just so different! Simply amazing, brilliant, fantastic. While playing it, you can see how McGee's mind twisted, and his jenius brings us such an awesome creation!!!

Was I the only one to be dissapointed that he's gonna work on Ozombie now and not on Alice sequel?

• 1 month later...

I'm almost done with chapter 1 (i think) and i must say this game is rather enjoyable. The art style is great the music when i can hear it is good. I can tell its going to be a rather repetitive game as far as combat/gameplay is concerned. From what i have played though im looking forward to delving further.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I really enjoyed this game. Picked it up for £4 on the Xbox Dash too, bonus, huh? Been after it a while, just got completely overcrowded with the amount of other games I've been meaning to play, but when I saw it I didn't even hesitate. Really enjoyed it from start to finish. So many good things.

- The art is amazing, I love how every chapter has a brand new environment with a completely new art scheme. (I also loved the part in chapter three where you get to the Caterpillar and the graphics turn shell shaded, like Borderlands style. That was really cool. So many other things, the weapons were so cool. I loved the way the controls work regarding the weapons too. So simple, no swapping in and out weapons. Just simply hit the X or Y button. Not bad. :p

I'll be honest though, the only thing I didn't like was the original (American McGee's Alice). It really frustrated me. Especially since I didn't realise I could save anywhere at all until about 2/3 through the game (duhhh). So I was starting the entire chapter over every time I died, that was so infuriating.

Overall though, I loved this game. Going through a third time (First on Normal, second on Nightmare) to pick up all the collectibles. I want to spend as much time as possible on this game. Amazing :)

8.5/10

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I made two runs of this game, one to get the collectibles and another just for the hardest difficulty. I seem to remember some sort of New Game Plus as well, which made combat much easier the second time around. Also not worrying about collectibles was a huge relief as well, since Nightmare mode posed something of a challenge at times.

Plus this was the game in which I hit 50k Gamerscore, so in some ways this game will always be remembered.