So far and away from COJ 1 and Bound in Blood

:confused: Why? Seriously, why? COJ The Cartel is an absolute travesty on the whole COJ franchise. Now dont get me wrong as I know there are people who will like the game (which is 100% fine as everyone has there tastes/opinions) but to me this was/is such a HUGE misfire. I LOVED Call of Juarez, flaws and all. It had good FPS'ing, got the western setting and mood fantastically, the dialouge and voices were great, and the story (I thought) was INCREDIBLY good and kept me hooked throughout the entire game, fun multiplayer. Then Bound in Blood came out and pretty much improved on every aspect from part 1, basically everything you could have asked for in a sequel. Then The Cartel releases and they take away the western setting (the most important thing that makes it unique in the first place!). The story was nonsense, the characters were unlikeable, the dialouge was HORRENDOUS (not to mention there were TONS of errors in the spelling of words if you have the subtitles on), the gameplay was just very generic, graphics (while runnning on Chrome Engine 5) were HORRIBLE ( how does Bound in Blood look better then The Cartel???), glitches galore, etc.

The only explanation I can possibly think of is that Techland were probably putting all there resources and effort into Dead Island, while Ubisoft made them rush The Cartel. It just really sucks that they take this franchise (which again, I really enjoy) into the "modern" times (BIG mistake) and it turns out this piss poor. I hope this isnt the end for the COJ series. The Western is a place that gets too neglected in gaming.

I feel your pain and totally understand. You are so correct, Techland had most of their team working on Dead Island. I was told by the folks at Techland this will NOT happen again. As far as their being another COJ it is very possible. When i ask will it be set in the west again i wasn't given a definite yet, but i will update those who wish to know more. You guys can join our facebook group which has several members of Techland in it. Please feel free to share this in the group!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/cojfans/

• 1 month later...

One of the biggest mistakes people have is they say The Cartel didn't have the "western" setting and was just another generic modern shooter. Those people are horribly wrong. The Cartel was attempting to try out the "Neo-Western" genre. And for those who don't know what that is, it is media that takes the themes of the Western, but put is set in the contemporary, even urban, American West.

Here are a list of movies/television shows that are Neo-Westerns:

Bad Day at Black Rock

Bright Angel

Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

Bronco Billy

Comes a Horseman

The Cowboy Way

Dear Wendy

Desperado

Don't Come Knocking

Down in the Valley

Dudes

Dust

Extreme Prejudice

The Good, the Bad, and the Weird

Joshua Tree

Kill Bill Volume 2

Machete

El Mariachi

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

No Country For Old Men (One of the inspirations for Call of Juarez: The Cartel)

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

A Perfect World

Red Hill

The Straight Story

Sukiyaki Western Django

Tears of the Black Tiger

Thelma & Louise

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

Urban Cowboy

Walker, Texas Ranger

So yeah, watch any of these, and The Cartel will make sense.

Anyways, I am excited for CoJ 4.

• 3 months later...

I didn't like this new one as much as bound in blood, so i definitely like the old west genre better. I oddly like the 5 second reload times and such as it made you not go gun ho..

However, they did go kind of out there, which i also liked, such as the Ben Mccall being a homicide detective with the bullet proof fast looking and talking just like his ancestor.

so basically i turned out neutral, (now that is good input yo)