I fail to see what is wrong with this game.

MDDC

I can understand criticisms of AP's graphics, poor shooting gameplay, and overall glitchiness. However, the game's story, conversation system, and replay value were so good that I played through the game 4 different times to see just how much I could change the story, and loved every second of it. It is a shame that there won't be a sequel due to poor sales, but Alpha Protocol has been one of the best video gaming experiences of the year for me. Oh yeah, and if you didn't think that the Konstantin Brako fight was awesome then something is seriously wrong with you.

I agree except for the Brayko fight. His teleportation skills were more fitting for WoW than a pseudo-realistic spy game.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree except for the Brayko fight. His teleportation skills were more fitting for WoW than a pseudo-realistic spy game.

I actually found the Brayko fight to be the most annoying fight in the game, hands down. Besides just being flat out annoying, he's just throw in there for no good reason with absolutely no build up what-so-ever, unlike Marburg or Omen. It's just like... SUPRISE! 80's loving Russian man hyped up on drugs!

Also, Omen's invisibility and super-speed also fits under the whole WoW powers thing as well. :p

Good call, I forgot about him. Propably because I didn't find the fight as anoying. OTOH, you could always reason that he's a ninja. :eek:

Not every Asian person can be a ninja. He'd need to be Japanese. He's Taiwanese, I believe.

I honestly would chalk the powers up to his badass longcoat. Just... just look at that thing.

So now that I've actually finished the game... I'm still sitting in the "it was alright, but nothing special" camp. Sure, the story was awesome and all, but a good story can only keep me going for so long. I love how the game's story completely changes depending on what you do though, and that kept me interested the most.

And, just like I said before, the minute the game asks me to actually shoot things or to sneak around it all falls apart. The gameplay really needed to be refined, and the game could really have used a good glitch hunt as I keep seeming to run into little glitches.

Just remember that this is your Opinion while no Opinion is a Fact. The problems that you had was that you didn't play the correctly by using your charcter stats. You can moan about glitches while thats the fault of the Unreal Engine since that Engine has a good amount of issues. Remember that most people didn't experience any glitching in AP like me. I'm glad that you have enjoyed the game since you have played it instead of watching gameplay of it. Edited by Blueprotoss

Personally, this game has been a very disappointing experience. The AI was horribly programmed, the rpg element was a refreshing change of pace, the weapons for some reason lack in accuracy department, espeically the sniper rifle (sorry but when i have the crosshair on someone point blank and pull the trigger i expect them to die), character customization could have been more in depth. Personally i rate this a 3/10
I see that you would rather blame a game for the lack of skill that you have because you play Run n' Shooters instead of RPGs.

• 1 month later...

my opinion is that there is nothing wrong with this game and taking into account that its a vast non linear RPG it is as polished as it can be. Personally I never found any bugs in this game that would distract me from playing.

AI responded as it should.

The only things I disliked were a mater of personal opinion really. They are as follows:

bosses while holding a gun always run in to do melee combat that does insane damage. I don't get that.

the hacking/lockpickng is bad, until you realize that you better off just buying EMPs and skipping that part all together.

The rest of the game and the things that matter the most in an RPG - the story the characters and the most important gameplay are all outstanding.

I see that you would rather blame a game for the lack of skill that you have because you play Run n' Shooters instead of RPGs.

the problem with this statement is that AP was sort of designed so you had a choice on whether to be the spy or the soldier. both were intended to be legit ways to play the game. i did the rambo approach my first playthrough and am currently doing the stealth playthrough on my second. both are effective at getting through the game.

that said, i am enjoying the stealth run a whole lot more than the run'n'gun approach. i didn't realize how good stealth combined with pistols can be. and max level shadow operative? pure tastiness. i can get rid of SO many guards in the 30 seconds it gives me.

the problem with this statement is that AP was sort of designed so you had a choice on whether to be the spy or the soldier. both were intended to be legit ways to play the game. i did the rambo approach my first playthrough and am currently doing the stealth playthrough on my second. both are effective at getting through the game.

that said, i am enjoying the stealth run a whole lot more than the run'n'gun approach. i didn't realize how good stealth combined with pistols can be. and max level shadow operative? pure tastiness. i can get rid of SO many guards in the 30 seconds it gives me.

You can Run n' Gun in AP while you can't play it like Halo or CoD. One reason why people hate on AP is that you play it like a CoD or Halo game while they forget that its a RPG. I did a Rambo run on my 1st playthrough while I used cover and played it on Normal becasue I was a Freelancer.

I'm glad you enjoyed AP esdpecially when you gave it a chance. The pistol is dealdy especially when paired up with Stealth. Chain Shot and complete Invisibility equals Ownage.

Edited by Blueprotoss

You know, I decided not to buy this game, but one of my co-workers was hyped up about it for a year before its release. He finished it and said it was awesome and we thought he was just trying to convince himself the game was worth it.

He let me borrow it, and I must say, this game is a lot more fun that most people say it is. I liked this more than mass effect even! Nothing beats going ninja and stabbing 5 people in a row :).

You know, I decided not to buy this game, but one of my co-workers was hyped up about it for a year before its release. He finished it and said it was awesome and we thought he was just trying to convince himself the game was worth it.

He let me borrow it, and I must say, this game is a lot more fun that most people say it is. I liked this more than mass effect even! Nothing beats going ninja and stabbing 5 people in a row :).

the benefits of keeping an open mind :)

• 2 months later...

I think the game is a good gamer overall. Certainly not worth $60 when it first came out, but now that it's reduced it's a great pickup. Multiple playthroughs with all the choices make it fun to mess around and see what kind of responses and dialogue you can get. After you see most of it though the replay-ability drops. I was happy with it though, got it for Christmas :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned this game for a while now, the first time I played I shut it off before finishing the tutorial stage in the med bay. But today I just said "Screw it" and started it up again for some achievements. I've got to say , I should have kept going the first time. This game is actually a lot of fun and once you get used to how the gadgets,gun and armor upgrades and your skills work, then it's even better. Stealth is a pain in the ass, that's what I'm doing now but still a lot of good times. The story element, the most important element, has been great so far. I regret not giving this game a far chance the first time.

Well, i got this game for £8, and i have to say, i love this game, i dont know why people hate this game. They obviously havent given it a chance. Games arnt always about graphics, although it is nice to have something to look at. Im nearly finished Alpha Protocol and i will definitely be playing through it again!

• 4 weeks later...

I finally found a copy of this game and bought it and I haven't been this hooked since Mass Effect! I just finished my 3rd playthrough I and am still finding new things that can change the story. It is utterly amazing to me that this game didn't as good ratings or sales than it did. Sure the AI is kind of stupid at some parts (I recall the Taiwanese Police in the "Intercept Assassination Plans" mission I found two police officers that were standing next to each other and I walked up and did some crazy martial arts to incapacitate one of them in PLAIN VIEW of the other and he didn't notice a thing). Sure the graphics are dated, but then again, does every game need to have super high quality HD graphics like God of War 3? I'm going back and playing God of War 1 and 2 on the PS3 right now and the graphics don't bother me one bit!

The only thing that people should really have any merit complaining about are glitches because those are the fault of the developer. I didn't really encounter any glitches aside from not being able to zip line at one part and occasionally not being able to go into cover.

People that complain about the shooting mechanics don't realize that it's not about the player's skill, it's about the character's stats. That mechanic sucks if you're the kind of person that has never played an RPG before, but to anyone that has played any RPG what so ever will be right at home!

I bought this game a while ago, but only just recently started playing it - currently in the middle of my second play-through (probably going for a 3rd after to see the differences).

I quite enjoy the game (otherwise it wouldn't get a finished play-through let alone a 2nd/3rd), the RPG elements are GREAT, and once you understand the system it's a fun game.

Personally, this game has been a very disappointing experience. The AI was horribly programmed, the rpg element was a refreshing change of pace, the weapons for some reason lack in accuracy department, espeically the sniper rifle (sorry but when i have the crosshair on someone point blank and pull the trigger i expect them to die), character customization could have been more in depth. Personally i rate this a 3/10

OK, you clearly didn't understand the way shooting works:

1) Criticals are the "accurate" shots, anything else is a "snap shot" and not really aimed - if the pistol doesn't go to critical then you don't have the range to be accurate!

2) There are only a few places that you get to use a sniper rifle and an enemy can NEVER be at point-blank while you're looking through the scope - you probably think that the Assault Rifle is a sniper rifle... here's a hint, sniper rifles file ONE bullet, the assault rifle fires BURSTS! Think about firing something like an AK47 at point blank range, the recoil alone would kick the gun all over the place!

3) You want the character customisation to be MORE IN DEPTH? You didn't think that the skill trees were deep enough? You get to choose over 9 skills and decide what level you take them to - how is that not deep enough? Consider as well that other RPGs only have about 5-6 skills to put points on!

For people who HATE the lock picking/hacking/bypass mini-games, then why not put 3 AP into Sabotage? It gives the ability to use an EMP grenade on the lock/panel/computer (don't ask how an EMP grenade can unlock a physical lock, because I have ZERO idea!) - it costs more (250 per grenade), but it saves a TON of time, but ignores the XP gain from the mini-game!

Note that if you're going for the bombs in Rome, and running out of time, this is a VITAL skill!!!

Complaining about the Brayko fight when you're going for stealth isn't a valid reason - you should have points in pistol so you can Chain Shot enemies, so with his fight you can throw an Incendry Grenade to get rid of his "endurance", then Chain Shot him in the face to drop 1/3 or so of his health - once he charges SPRINT (A+direction pad), if you can run up onto the stage to get him chasing you (sometimes he glitches and gets stuck against the stage, then you can just Critical him in the back of his head!), once he gets his guns out just keep on hitting him with Chain Shots while taking out any of his henchmen who come near you. If you use Steel Core bullets it helps a ton too as they do more damage.

The best way I've found to take out Brayko is to have Brilliance & a decent level of Chain Shot - batter him with something to take out his Endurance, Chain Shot him, run to recharge your Chain Shot (hopefully this will run out his "coke high"), then when he crouches Chain Shot/Brilliance/Chain Shot his head and he should drop faster than you'd believe - again, use Steel Core if you can as they do extra damage.

If you think you're having too much problem with him, do Rome & Taiwan before returning to Moscow to finish him off, then you'll be able to take him down with impunity!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the biggest problem was that although you were free to build your character in anyway, several situations required to be dealt with in a particular course of action.E.g. AP's boss pretty much required investment into one of the guns in comparison to say Knights of the Old Republic where you could still devise a viable stratergy if you invested something other than combat.

Other than that though I thouroughly enjoyed the game.

I'm a sucker for stealth games (and RPGS are my favorite genre) and I wasn't impressed with this game, and a large part was due to how poorly I thought the stealth was implemented.. I enjoyed it much more in games of the Hitman series and in Chaos Theory.

This system felt half finished and while i had no trouble adjusting to its idiosincrasies and flat out AI bugs, the stealth experience felt subpar. I even had more fun sneaking around in action games like Fallout, Batman Arkham Asylum (see predator challenges), and hell even in Crysis you can play through just about the whole game stealth.. I could list another half dozen games that does stealth better where that wasn't even their focus but I won't bore you.

Not to mention the shooting is just terrible. Whether you want to compare it to a stealth or action genre it doesn't matter, it's just poorly designed. (I love Shooters as well)

The RPG elements were weak at best, which just further reinforces the trend of doing each element of this game subpar.

Again I didn't have any troubles with it but it felt like a generic experience, similar to how I felt running through X-Blades. A game with a few cool concepts but done half ass.

There are redeeming qualities about this game, but for a game focused on espionage type tactics (or role playing, or anything it tried to do) it was lackluster to me. It did not excel in Stealth, Action, or Plot. I am not sure what else this fantastic Stealth RPG was supposed to give me that I missed other than the content I didn't pay full price for this game.

It felt more like a mediocre adventure game with some RPG and Stealth "elements". Just my 2 cents..

• 3 weeks later...
I'm a sucker for stealth games (and RPGS are my favorite genre) and I wasn't impressed with this game, and a large part was due to how poorly I thought the stealth was implemented.. I enjoyed it much more in games of the Hitman series and in Chaos Theory.

This system felt half finished and while i had no trouble adjusting to its idiosincrasies and flat out AI bugs, the stealth experience felt subpar. I even had more fun sneaking around in action games like Fallout, Batman Arkham Asylum (see predator challenges), and hell even in Crysis you can play through just about the whole game stealth.. I could list another half dozen games that does stealth better where that wasn't even their focus but I won't bore you.

Not to mention the shooting is just terrible. Whether you want to compare it to a stealth or action genre it doesn't matter, it's just poorly designed. (I love Shooters as well)

The RPG elements were weak at best, which just further reinforces the trend of doing each element of this game subpar.

Again I didn't have any troubles with it but it felt like a generic experience, similar to how I felt running through X-Blades. A game with a few cool concepts but done half ass.

There are redeeming qualities about this game, but for a game focused on espionage type tactics (or role playing, or anything it tried to do) it was lackluster to me. It did not excel in Stealth, Action, or Plot. I am not sure what else this fantastic Stealth RPG was supposed to give me that I missed other than the content I didn't pay full price for this game.

It felt more like a mediocre adventure game with some RPG and Stealth "elements". Just my 2 cents..

The Stealth system is made based around your character stats and equipment because AP is a RPG not a Stealth game like Splinter Cell or MGS.

You forget that AI is suposed to be the challenge in games for the most part while the challenge is usually in the Difficulty setting. You forget that Crysis gives you unlimited use of Invisibility while Crysis is just a mix of CoD and Halo, which is a formula for an Easy FPS. You also forget that AP is a RPG that gives you a some Stealth options like in ME2 and Dragon Age while this no Stealth title like a Splinter Cell or MGS game.

The Shooting system in AP is designed as a RPG element as its based around your Character stats instead of being based on your skill at playing Shooters like Gears, CoD, or Halo.

Thats your Opinion even if this was a better game then ME2.

I guess you didn't read the cover of AP especially when it said Espionage RPG instead of RPG or Stealth game. You miss the point that AP is a different type of game that isn't a cookie cutter game especially in the RPG genre. AP is one of the best RPGs of the decade especially when it beats ME 1 & 2 in the whole RPG department.

It sounds like you that you're a Shooter fan that barely plays a RPG while I'm a RPG and Shooter fan.

Edited by Blueprotoss

• 4 weeks later...

I played this game when it first came out and absolutely loved it. I only had one glitch where I got stuck in the terrain but beyond that it was bug free. I also have the PC version of the game and did encounter several bugs in it but far fewer than either of the recent Fallout games. The mini-games were actually enjoyable and a breeze if you set your skills correctly. I've recommended this game to several of my friends and all of them were immediately hooked in it. It all boils down to your taste in games and what you consider a big deal. Mindless shooter fans need not apply here or die-hard rpg fans. If you're willing to accept a mix of the two then this is a great game.

No flaws that I see apart from the annoying lock-pick minigame that is unnecessary making the triggers as the adjustment so hard and tedious plus why does it have to be so bloody accurate on the line?

It's the only thing that ticks me off on the whole game and even worse when you have to unlock 5 pins in less than 10 bloody seconds! What is wrong with using analog anyways???

Guns are okay but very difficult for first playthrough. It's the bloody AI that charges you and kills you with no waiting time.

Overall it's good if enjoyed games that is quite similar to it only better, like Mass Effect. or Mass Effect 2 minus probing the planet.

I had a great time with this game. I picked it up at Best Buy for $30 on an impulse, and I'm so happy I did.

The shooting took a bit getting used to, but once I got my AR skill up it was perfectly fine. The one thing that really set me back was Michael Thorton's voice actor. I busted up laughing on the training course at "What's this, a used car lot?"

• 2 months later...

I disliked this game when I started it, only thing I liked was the dialogue system (I liked the dialogue a lot, and the music). By the time I was done Rome it had started to grow on me and once my gun and stealth stats were up I liked it even more. On my second playthrough, taking the Veteran path I was in love with the game I like it a lot now.