Earn Stars With Zero Effort (Another Lame Boosting Method)

DivinityCycle

This method allows you to earn stars with zero effort. My game is running and pulling in stars as we speak. I just broke 150K. Yesterday I had like 36K. I hope to get 200K by the end of the day.

I am posting this here because this is the site where people are like "Play this game, you can earn 1000 Gamerpoints in 20 minutes, here's how!" So, yes, I am aware that this is essentially cheating. Please do not flame me.

What Do You Need?

-Lips: Number One Hits or Lips: Party Classics (NOT the original game)

-At least one working mic

-A USB storage device that works in the Freestyle mode

Preferred For Maximum Simplicity

-A USB microphone (I'm using a Rock Band 2 mic)

-a pair of headphones

-Some method of playing back an mp3 over said headphones

-A turbo controller

-A wired controller or a Play & Charge Kit (to prevent your controller from turning off on its own)

How It Works

In Lips Number One Hits and Lips Party Classics, the Freestyle Mode actually allows you to gain stars, unlike the first game where you couldn't. This opens up an opportunity for cheating. If what goes into the mic matches up with the MP3 that is being played, your Star Stream meter begins to fill. Once its full you can activate it and earn stars.

One of my other hobbies is making music. After some trial and error I was able to create an mp3 specifically for this purpose. Its like 38 minutes of a single synthesizer tone going over and over. Why 38 minutes? Because the Star Stream is limited to 9999 stars being earned in a single song. Once you hit that limit, you cannot earn any more Stars until the next song.

The basic idea is that you play the mp3 in Freestyle and then somehow run that same tone through the microphone. This will constantly run your score up and, if you activate it, Stars.

My specific setup for accomplishing this:

-I'm using a Rock Band 2 USB mic. This is because the Star Stream is auto-activated with this microphone, meaning you don't have to shake it at all.

-I have a pair of big headphones hooked up to my computer.

Here's how they're arranged:

http://appliedcuriosity.cc/MicHeadphones.JPG

With this arrangement, I can run the tone quiet enough that I cannot hear it but the mic can.

-I am using a Street Fighter IV Fight Pad, perfect for this kind of thing cuz its wired and has a turbo function. I am using this to simply press A over and over, thus handling the process of starting the same song over and over without me doing anything. I'm using a pair of pliers to hold the button down, likeso:

http://appliedcuriosity.cc/TurboA.JPG

-I've got my headphones hooked up to my computer with the mp3 playing on repeat play, and I have a USB device with just my boosting MP3 on it hooked up to my 360. I believe it would be possible to do the same thing using just a 360, provided you have a way to hook headphones to your 360. Note, if you do this, you need to make sure your mic volume is turned all the way down, otherwise you'll get feedback.

I have posted the mp3 to MediaFire for you guys:

http://www.mediafire.com/?evnjjnjt2dd

I hope someone else finds this method useful, as the 200K Stars achievement is (IMO) pretty brutal if you had to do it legit. This way you can earn the stars literally in your sleep :)

Also, if you are missing one of the pieces of gear I listed, you can still do this method. Each item is used to get around a specific problem:

-The USB mic auto-activates Star Power. Its also nice cuz it will never run out of batteries. If you don't have one you can still do this, you just need to shake the mic every time you want to activate star power, which requires you to be looking at the screen periodically, holding the mic, and shaking the mic periodically. This means without a USB mic you cannot do this method "unattended", but could still run the song manually. You will pull about 9500 stars each time you play through my mp3.

-The Wired controller is used to avoid having your controller automatically turn off, which would pause the song 10 minutes in.

-The Turbo controller is used to automatically restart the song once it ends, allowing you to fully ignore / leave your 360 while you earn stars.

-The headphones are the least necessary component. They are to allow for silent operations. If you don't have headphones you could use your TV speaker instead, it's just that you'll have a buzzing sound going in that room while this is going on. So, if you can muffle that or ignore it, or simply leave the room, then that isn't an issue and you don't "need" headphones.

I hope this covers 90% of the questions I would get about this stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I've created some contraptions myself for achievements in the past but didn't even think of this for Lips. Mainly because I didn't know USB microphones worked on the new Lips. Fortunately I have everything you've posted, including the exact same Street Fighter turbo controller :)

I will take pictures of my setup later and post them, just know that if no one else can even attempt this that I can, and that you've helped me out tremendously :) -- Thanks!!!!!!!

Just wanted to say, this worked like a champ. I left it on while I slept for 5-6 hours today, went from 135,000 to 203,000 :)

My set-up was the exact same as yours, except that I taped down my A button instead of using vice grips. Enjoy the pic! And thanks so much for this tip! :D

http://imgur.com/OPsaP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Once again, i'd rather have 11k gs earned honestly than 10 times the amount by bypassing or cheating.

Cheaters never prosper.

LOL, this is not cheating. You do realize you are on an achievement forum, right? People simply look for the quickest/easiest way to earn achievements.

Now, simply downloading game saves, aka "Gamesaving" is cheating and is not tolerated. This microphone/headset/turbo controller set-up is not cheating the least bit.

Once again, i'd rather have 11k gs earned honestly than 10 times the amount by bypassing or cheating.

Cheaters never prosper.

Seriously, who cares? I already have 160.000 stars earned legitly. Why not using an alternate method to get them? This cheevo is a pain in the ***, so that MS is not going to put it in the following LIPS games.

• 4 weeks later...

This is fricking awesome!!! what a method, i love seeing the score just rolling up at a ridiculous speed! such an awesome feeling sticking it to M$ like this, likes very much for the method and more importantly taking the time to put the track together at the right length and everything!

5 stars! and this should be stickied!

This is fricking awesome!!! what a method, i love seeing the score just rolling up at a ridiculous speed! such an awesome feeling sticking it to M$ like this, likes very much for the method and more importantly taking the time to put the track together at the right length and everything!

5 stars! and this should be stickied!

I second this. This is helping me finish off my last few achievements nicely and really helps take the grind away as I can do other things whilst earning. Cheers for the track and the method.

I second this. This is helping me finish off my last few achievements nicely and really helps take the grind away as I can do other things whilst earning. Cheers for the track and the method.

Also if you need medals download ice ice baby and just prop your mic up to the fan i get the 4 medals that dont require me everytime (i dont get party and performance because i dont do anything at all, lol. but its the technique ones i find the hardest

EDIT: If you have the original lips Bust a move works just as well. i just happened to have ice ice baby from when i bought it to get my infinity shades, lol. i am a whore for the avatar awards :S

but obviously with the original lips you cant have the wired mic :(

Edited by Cla55y

Cheaters never prosper.

WOW!!!!!!!!! What a TOTALLY worthwhile post and absolutely AWESOME contribution to this thread! You are almost as helpful and as positive a site contributor as the poster of this original topic! Reach for the stars my friend!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...