Achievement Discussion

Krazie

• 3 months later...

The trance achievement is not done in the mode you unlock after completing the lost area.

The achievement says you need to complete direct assault on trance. Direct assault is a game mode in the beyond section of the game where you play from level 1 through 5 non-stop and it takes around 60 mins. There are 5 or 6 different direct assault settings starting with normal. I've run through the normal one and i unlocked ambient so my guess is that one of these is trance which you then need to complete for the achievement.

Tips for score attack:

Combo as much as you can! It took me a few tries to complete these as i was rushing to kill things too quickly. The main trick to score high is to let the bosses live as long as possible. For example on the very last boss, instead of shooting the rings in the middle to open up the core, you need to take out all of the things that get shot out around the area chaining them up to max as much as possible. The score attacks should be fairly easy if you have cleared all 5 areas.

I was just wondering if anyone can explain to me what local ranking means (sorry to be such a noob).

Hey there,

Local ranking is Rez's term for offline leader boards. When you complete a score attack or die trying one, it will show you the local leader boards.

The scores needed for each score attack are:

Score attack 1 - 150,000

Score attack 2 - 150,000

Score attack 3 - 150,000

Score attack 4 - 150,000

Score attack 5 - 300,000

Boss Rush Mode is unlocked after getting 95% or over on areas 1-5, this is a direct assault on all the bosses.

You start off in the form you have selected in your beyond options so it might be an idea to unlock some of those before you attempt boss rush. You need to set a score of over 300,000 across all bosses to get the Firewall Buster achievment.

Confirmed. Trance Mission can be used to rack up play time, but the unlocks don't come until after you play another normal level. I left Trance Mission running for about four hours, then quit and nothing happened, but then I made another run at Area 5, and afterward I got the unlocks for five hours, six hours, seven hours and eight hours all one right after the other. I should have "Rezident" in no time.

As far as I'm concerned, Laser Assassin looks like it's the only really difficult achievement in the game. Everything else seems to unfold in a natural order once you figure it out.

Strangely, after unlocking it, I noticed that the achievement description for Rezident says you have to rack up all that time in Play mode, but that's obviously not true.

It's probably referring to the fact that you can't leave it on the menu to rack up play time.

I'm pretty sure that after playing beyond to do the trance segment you'll have racked up 10 hours play easily. Each beyond run takes at least an hour.

It's probably referring to the fact that you can't leave it on the menu to rack up play time.

No. My point, which I was very specific about, was that the description unnecessarily specified "Play" mode, which is one specific mode of the game.

I'm pretty sure that after playing beyond to do the trance segment you'll have racked up 10 hours play easily. Each beyond run takes at least an hour.

Yeah, but that's nowhere near as easy as using Trance Mission to get 10 hours.

Little question about the "Power Breaker" achievement. Do you have to start a score attack you like and die with some points to get that one count as a played score attack or dou you have to play a whole level of a scoure attack stage to get it count?

The achievement says complete score attack 30 times which implies you have to actually play through a level to add towards the counter. This is the most annoying achievement in the game i think.

Just a quick note about direct assault runs. I'm currently on the oldschool setting and the bosses seem to be tweaked differently on each setting. Normally i can use the unlimited overdrive to kill everything on screen no problem but on the boss of area 3, something managed to hit me and kill me.

I'm gonna retry it actually looking at the screen this time instead of browsing the internet tapping X. :p

Re: getting hit in infinite overdrive mode:

I tried going through direct assault using nothing but overdrive, and I found the problem. When you use infinite overdrive, you tend to get over 98% shot down. When you shoot down over 98%, according to the Gamefaqs cheats page for the PS2 version of Rez, you face a subtly harder version of the boss. I noticed that on this version of the second boss, when it splays out into a giant fan shape, and pinches up a frond or two at a time to shoot missiles at you, the harder version will use more fronds at a time. Overdrive seeks closest first, so it gets distracted by the missiles without ever finding time to take down the missile launchers, and that gives the boss time to open more and more launchers, which all suddenly have the opportunity to zero in on you. Moral of the story: no overdrive on that element of that boss. Overdrive is usually bad when you have a single spot you need to focus on amid a flurry. Another terrible place to use it is the big cylinder in Area 5, which won't go down at all if you stick to overdrive, and the flying worms also in Area 5, some of which will escape unless you aim for their heads.

Re: score attack strategy: No, the same strategy from Play mode will not do well for you. It's much better to always use 8x target locks than to shoot down every enemy. An 8x lock equals an 8x multiplier applied to every enemy in the lock. Do the math on that, it's huge.

Hi, I didn't understand how to unlock the Trance Hacker achievement.

I just unlocked the Trance mission and done it, but it seems to be endless, as I can read in your posts. So, how to take it?

Read the exact titles of the levels. "Trance Mission" is not the same thing as "Direct Assault [trance]."

To unlock, play and complete "Direct Assault [trance]," and get the "Trance Hacker" achievement, you have to first unlock and finish the other FIVE versions of Direct Assault.

I noticed that on this version of the second boss, when it splays out into a giant fan shape, and pinches up a frond or two at a time to shoot missiles at you, the harder version will use more fronds at a time. Overdrive seeks closest first, so it gets distracted by the missiles without ever finding time to take down the missile launchers, and that gives the boss time to open more and more launchers, which all suddenly have the opportunity to zero in on you.

Must of been what happened to me then, next run - single target the boss elements. :)