1999 Mode Discussion

Creech

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question, in this mode, if you get a game over screen, I.E you die with no money to come back. Is that it? Or do you just reload your game at the last checkpoint?

Yeah, as noiprocs said, you reload from checkpoint, and it´s not even worth wasting money cause you will probably be needing them for upgrades to make your 1999 much more easier, I used money just on a few occassions I would otherwise failed in using only checkpoints = VOX HANDYMAN, 3rd HANDYMAN, FINAL BATTLE and about 1-2 more times in battles I had about 1hp in the beginning of it.

What helped me the most during my 1999 mode (also w/o using any dollar bill machines)..was Return to Sender..and just using the basic guns..(machine gun, pistol). Also what really helped me out was getting the season pass, got 5 extra infusions to level up my shield. But the only problem I faced was during Lady Comstock and the Handymans. The last battle was easy because I used the "return to sender" tatic.:drunk

im trying to go for scavenger hunt achievement but dont understand something.the guide says you cant buy anything from vending machines so how do you upgrade weapons and vigors?sorry if this has been answered somewhere but i couldnt find it.thanks for any help!

im trying to go for scavenger hunt achievement but dont understand something.the guide says you cant buy anything from vending machines so how do you upgrade weapons and vigors?

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1594/1594-49.jpgScavenger Hunt 75http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/site/gp-g.png

Completed the game in 1999 mode without purchasing anything from a Dollar Bill vending machine.

You just can not use the Dollar Bill Vending Machines, the Armor and Vigor Machines can be used while going for the Scavenger Hunt achievement

Hola.

I am having a huge problem with my 1999 run. I have prorgressed well into to chapter 4 and was about to get killed, and then I paused the game and hit "return to last checkpoint" so I didn't have to spend money (as recommended in this thread)

But then I find out the game charges my last save from my previous game (final chapter, medium difficulty) and had to start over again.

This has happened twice now. I have seen the autosaving icon on screen several times on both ocassions.

Is there something I am missing or could it be a bug? I am playing on a console not connected to the internet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

im trying to go for scavenger hunt achievement but dont understand something.the guide says you cant buy anything from vending machines so how do you upgrade weapons and vigors?sorry if this has been answered somewhere but i couldnt find it.thanks for any help!

You can purchase weapon and vigor upgrades from the Veni Vidi Vici and Minuteman's Armory vending machines but absolutely nothing from the Dollar Bill vending machine.

Hola.

I am having a huge problem with my 1999 run. I have prorgressed well into to chapter 4 and was about to get killed, and then I paused the game and hit "return to last checkpoint" so I didn't have to spend money (as recommended in this thread)

But then I find out the game charges my last save from my previous game (final chapter, medium difficulty) and had to start over again.

This has happened twice now. I have seen the autosaving icon on screen several times on both ocassions.

Is there something I am missing or could it be a bug? I am playing on a console not connected to the internet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130329115158AA1CZGI

Mine was doing the same thing and it was pissing me off. I figured out why though. For some reason every time I turn my Xbox off the time and date reset back to November 2005.

The game won't recognize the save file if the date and time on it is before the previous save file....(if that makes any sense) So now every time I turn on my Xbox I just fix the time and date and it saves just fine.

Jack is right. I am assuming that everyone who is having this problem doesn't have Live or is not always connected. You have to set the date to the current date because the autosave will not replace a save with one that is seemingly before it thus, in the games view, lose progress. Just set the current date before launching the game every time and you should be good. Worked for me.

TLDR, everytime you play BioShock whilst not connected to the internet, manually change your clock to the current date so the autosave works properly. I had this exact same issue as I have no internet, and it was driving me MENTAL til I found this answer.

I'm about 97% sure Microsoft forced Irrational Games to program the game like this in some sort of attempt to force people to buy Xbox Live or something.

any decent tips on what weapons and vigors to upgrade?plus what gear to equip?thanks!

INFUSIONS = fully upgrade shield first, then upgrade salts and at last - health

Shield are much better to upgrade because they alway recharge but health does not, you have to find HP on floor, from enemies,...

Weapons are pretty much you choice, and you will be changing them alot in the game because you will be running out of ammo if going for "Scavenger Hunt" cheevo, but if you have a choice, always pick a Sniper Rifle or Carbine, they do alot of damage, I had Carbine fully upgraded, and it was a great weapon, sniper rifle is probably the best, because you can just stay back alot and snipe enemies like patriot easily (DON´T TRY GETTING CLOSE TO ANY HEAVY HITTER!).

About vigors, first of all, upgrade possesion so you can posses normal enemies, this makes it great vigor and the upgrade costs only 50 Silver Eagles.

Than I only fully upgraded Charge and used it on Sirens.

Before the end of the game I also fully upgraded Return To Sender for the final battle.

At the end of the game I had 2000 Silver Eagles left because I didn´t know where is the last Vending Machine, so if you scavenge really alot like I did, you can use this 2000 Silver Eagles to anything you want, I would recommend either fully upgrade Sniper Rifle (I only had 1 upgrade on it) which will definitely make it a beast weapon, or just spend it on what you want.

About Gear? Hard question, there are many different combinations but one thing that will help you REAAAAAAAAALY ALOT is a vest called "Winter Shield", if you are lucky to find it, which I sadly was not, you just made your game alot easier.

INFUSIONS = fully upgrade shield first, then upgrade salts and at last - health

Shield are much better to upgrade because they alway recharge but health does not, you have to find HP on floor, from enemies,...

Weapons are pretty much you choice, and you will be changing them alot in the game because you will be running out of ammo if going for "Scavenger Hunt" cheevo, but if you have a choice, always pick a Sniper Rifle or Carbine, they do alot of damage, I had Carbine fully upgraded, and it was a great weapon, sniper rifle is probably the best, because you can just stay back alot and snipe enemies like patriot easily (DON´T TRY GETTING CLOSE TO ANY HEAVY HITTER!).

About vigors, first of all, upgrade possesion so you can posses normal enemies, this makes it great vigor and the upgrade costs only 50 Silver Eagles.

Than I only fully upgraded Charge and used it on Sirens.

Before the end of the game I also fully upgraded Return To Sender for the final battle.

At the end of the game I had 2000 Silver Eagles left because I didn´t know where is the last Vending Machine, so if you scavenge really alot like I did, you can use this 2000 Silver Eagles to anything you want, I would recommend either fully upgrade Sniper Rifle (I only had 1 upgrade on it) which will definitely make it a beast weapon, or just spend it on what you want.

About Gear? Hard question, there are many different combinations but one thing that will help you REAAAAAAAAALY ALOT is a vest called "Winter Shield", if you are lucky to find it, which I sadly was not, you just made your game alot easier.

Great post! That's exactly what I came to ask. Winter shield is only useful around skylines though isn't it? I suppose you can switch things up to suit the situation though! So I take it upgrades are ridiculously expensive in 1999 mode why else would ppl only only be talking about upgrading 1 or 2 vigors and 1 gun. I used the shotgun and sniper in my first play through is that not recommended for 1999 mode? Lastly what gear does everyone wear for 1999 mode?

Edited by Blazman83

For anyone doing the gear farming trick, I found that exiting to the main menu after you get into the elevator (the game auto-saves here) makes the trip back to the Hall of Heroes a little easier. Just select continue and it'll start you right in front of the elevator. Go in and follow whatever path you take for the farming.

Doing this, on the trip back to the Hall of Heroes, none of the enemies will be there.

May make each run take a little longer, but it makes the run back a little easier not having to worry about avoiding enemies since even if you do your best, they can still wreck you pretty quickly.

this is what i used if it helps anyone out.

Gear

Burning Halo

Winter Shield

Vampire Embrace

Brittle skinned/Urgent Care

The above setup worked really well with skylines and hooks.

For Fisticuff sections. Especially for dealing with the Siren in seconds.

Gear

Burning Halo

Blood to Salt

Vampire Embrace

Brittle Skinned.

Combine the above set up with charge and 1999 mode is a piece of cake.

Only weapon i upgraded was the carbine to max.

vigors maxed out were charge, possesion and bucking bronco for 2xfloat time.

I had 5000 credit at the end because i thought i'll upgrade some weapons before the last fight...but i forgot to do it.

For anyone doing the gear farming trick, I found that exiting to the main menu after you get into the elevator (the game auto-saves here) makes the trip back to the Hall of Heroes a little easier. Just select continue and it'll start you right in front of the elevator. Go in and follow whatever path you take for the farming.

Doing this, on the trip back to the Hall of Heroes, none of the enemies will be there.

May make each run take a little longer, but it makes the run back a little easier not having to worry about avoiding enemies since even if you do your best, they can still wreck you pretty quickly.

Or just do it at battleship bay. Quicker, no enemies, gear farm (x2 if you made a certain choice at the raffle) every 45 seconds incl loading time.

im getting battered in the 2nd handyman battle, seems to be enemies forever spawning , every time I get close I get killed , any tips??

They are limited. Worry about them first, then if you die at least all you have to worry about is the handyman himself and there are enough youtube strategies to help you out there.

People worry too much about spending a few hundred bucks on respawns in tough fights on 1999. Money grows on trees in this game. Especially towards the end. Also, the less you have, the more Liz will give you every time she throws it.

You gotta burn a couple of hundred on a tough fight? So be it.

Or just do it at battleship bay. Quicker, no enemies, gear farm (x2 if you made a certain choice at the raffle) every 45 seconds incl loading time.

How does this glitch work then? I'm at that point on 1999 mode were the couple give you a gift.

i got past the second vox handy man , it was quiet tough , my method was wear him down as much as you can then when he is at low health switch on that electric charge and run around deck area the shock will wear him down and after after a few hits kill him...

the second part other game has really stepped up, the guns are so much stronger,

what parts can just be skipped? im on the 3rd handyman fight ..