This Game Is Frustrating

MabusScarab

I can say that I was almost able to reach the City of Gold, but things went out of hand in the Temple. I did have a Shotgun, Cape, Compass, you name it. I couldn't find any Scepter-holding enemies in the early Temple area, either the Scepter didn't drop when killing them or it fell off somewhere, like lava or something. I went all the way to buy the Ankh for 50,000 gold too until that run got ruined in the level. ^^;

The Scepter is dropped by the unique Anubis enemy in 4-1 (NOT Mummies like in the PC version). He's the jackal-headed god flying around shooting pink rings at you.

By the way, I don't recommend using the Scepter as a weapon. It's unbelievably risky, since the pink rings can double back and instakill you with no warning.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game can be frustrating at times but I think the randomly generated level design cuts down on it for me alot. I think the game is an instant classic and while not exactly as high on the list as Braid or Limbo, very close. The only thing I don't care for is the levels that spawn you in the dark, those really suck. Alot of games do this and I just find it annoying. I thought it was the one stupid part about Limbo also, wandering through the caves in search of those eggs. What's so fun about my screen being black and me dying because I can't see anything? I wouldn't take either game down for it because it's a small part, I just don't like it.

Like I've been saying, it's just boring when you get to the Jungle with $80k, a jetpack and a shotgun...but 0 bombs. 0 bombs because the game generated arrow traps with no rocks/vases/skulls nearby, forcing you to sacrifice a bomb or 2 life, for example. So it turns out that I just wasted 15 minutes on that run and I'm not a huge fan of games pointlessly wasting my time.

I just wanted to point out you can whip arrows from arrow-traps mid flight?

It takes a lot of skill and a little bit of luck but if your timing is good you don't need to sacrifice bombs OR health in that situation.

Holy crap, I just got more frustrated than I have in the past few years of playing video games. I've been trying to get the gold key from the Mines to the end of the Ice Caves to unlock the shortcut to the Temple. I got to 3-4 two times and died directly beside the exit once. I got to 3-3 two times as well, and 3-1 probably four times. Finally just got that done. So relieved lol.

[Edit]: Oh wow, if I knew what I was doing when I went into the boss fight, I could have been in the top 10 for best times.

Edited by Spock

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3jnU1tXoy8]No damage, no action button run[/ame]

for those who think this game is unfair / TOO hard.

as long as you take the necessary precautions and minimize risk you can deal with anything this game throws at you.

he offers some useful tips in the video, as well.

for those who think this game is unfair / TOO hard.

as long as you take the necessary precautions and minimize risk you can deal with anything this game throws at you.

I love this game, but the xbla version appears 2 be a lot harder than what he just did, there is no way that i can get to the end of temple levels by doing 4 jumps down.

I love this game, but the xbla version appears 2 be a lot harder than what he just did, there is no way that i can get to the end of temple levels by doing 4 jumps down.

Yep XBLA version has more enemies and they are faster. I would be interested to see no attack/no damage runs in the new version. Of course, it's possible, but a lot harder than pc version. Also Temple levels are bigger. :)

Yeah, don't really see how that video applies to the XBLA version at all. The game has been made harder in every single little way on XBLA...

But I've got the definition of frustrating right here! I managed to beat Olmec and make it through the game with no shortcuts, but as I got out of the pit he creates I was jumped by a monkey. I was holding the Scepter and sort of kneejerked at pressing the X button even though it wouldn't have helped get the monkey off. The pink ball turned right around and instakilled me, two steps from the exit.

So...yeah, don't even bother picking up the Scepter unless you're going to the City of Gold.

Edited by DROGTURIST

Yeah, don't really see how that video applies to the XBLA version at all. The game has been made harder in every single little way on XBLA...

While I do acknowledge the XBLA version has been made a buttload harder, it still doesn't change the fact that it's still absolutely possible. I'm fairly hopefuly Derek's gonna release a few fixes for some of the more annoying level-generation screw ups, but for the most part if something kills you it's because you didn't deal with the situation optimally?

NOT that I'm saying "woah this game is so easy ALL the time you guys!"

Personally I'm just as pissed as you guys, i've made it to olmec four times from the beginning with a co-op partner, one of those times without getting ANY gold, and the bastard managed to squish me on a technicality EACH time.

(gap not functioning correctly, squished without being under him, squished while ON TOP OF HIS HEAD ARGH) etc)

While I do acknowledge the XBLA version has been made a buttload harder, it still doesn't change the fact that it's still absolutely possible.
Of course it's possible, but I think this thread is more about "is it reasonably feasible?" I mean, it's possible for a person to, I don't know, double flip a bike but most of us posting here would most likely break our necks if we tried.

Personally I'm just as pissed as you guys, i've made it to olmec four times from the beginning with a co-op partner, one of those times without getting ANY gold, and the bastard managed to squish me on a technicality EACH time.

(gap not functioning correctly, squished without being under him, squished while ON TOP OF HIS HEAD ARGH) etc)

Wow, so that time where I swear that he didn't actually crush me but I still died actually did happen?

I've also had shopkeepers kill me with their back turned, and just now I had an awesome run for 500k going and I tossed a bomb at a floor 4-5 blocks below and away from me but the blast magically killed me anyway. Not to mention the time the Scepter's pink ball grabbed a damsel which instantly killed me for no reason even though the ball was holding the damsel. This game is awesome and ridiculously addictive but it's got some weird glitches.

I've also had shopkeepers kill me with their back turned, and just now I had an awesome run for 500k going and I tossed a bomb at a floor 4-5 blocks below and away from me but the blast magically killed me anyway. Not to mention the time the Scepter's pink ball grabbed a damsel which instantly killed me for no reason even though the ball was holding the damsel. This game is awesome and ridiculously addictive but it's got some weird glitches.

Bombs can kill you at a distance with debris. The gold nuggets they uncover only hurt enemies, but if there are stones, arrows, chests, or even (I think) gold bars near the bomb the flying debris can hurt you a lot.

I almost never use the Scepter as a weapon on a real run. It's just too risky.

A large part of the learning process is figuring out what endangers you. If you die and don't know why, you're probably missing something.

Bombs can kill you at a distance with debris. The gold nuggets they uncover only hurt enemies, but if there are stones, arrows, chests, or even (I think) gold bars near the bomb the flying debris can hurt you a lot.
But how is that not bullshit? Am I supposed to jetpack several screens away to be safe from every bomb I place? If I'm a full 5 blocks away and on a level above the blast, it's just absurd for the game to kill me. I had 6 life and there wasn't even anything lying around on the floor, I just placed the bomb on an empty floor (with a mummy 6-7 blocks to the left of it though) and jetpacked back up to the nearest ledge and when it exploded, I just suddenly died. That's plain bullshit, not me being bad at games.

A large part of the learning process is figuring out what endangers you. If you die and don't know why, you're probably missing something.
Why are you fanboying so hard for this game? I know you like it and so do I, but it is entirely possible for it to have glitches and mistakes, you know. Dying when the Scepter's pink ball isn't even close to me is a glitch and a tiny bit of debris, or whatever it was, killing me when I'm definitely out of what should be harm's way is a design mistake. Edited by DROGTURIST

But how is that not bullshit? Am I supposed to jetpack several screens away to be safe from every bomb I place? If I'm a full 5 blocks away and on a level above the blast, it's just absurd for the game to kill me. I had 6 life and there wasn't even anything lying around on the floor, I just placed the bomb on an empty floor (with a mummy 6-7 blocks to the left of it though) and jetpacked back up to the nearest ledge and when it exploded, I just suddenly died. That's plain bullshit, not me being bad at games.

Um, it's not bullshit because you can easily prevent it by checking the area before you set off explosives. Like everything else in this game, it's on you to be careful. That's not a bug that's going to get fixed, in case you're wondering. Mind you, debris doesn't take off 6 lives. I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened to you. But I can say random explosion deaths have never happened to me, and I've played a LOT...

Random deaths from the Scepter and Olmec, on the other hand, definitely happen. I never use the Scepter, and I never use the "fast" strategy on Olmec on a real run (even on my speed run I tunneled under him with bombs!).

Why are you fanboying so hard for this game? I know you like it and so do I, but it is entirely possible for it to have glitches and mistakes, you know. Dying when the Scepter's pink ball isn't even close to me is a glitch and a tiny bit of debris, or whatever it was, killing me when I'm definitely out of what should be harm's way is a design mistake.

It's possibly my favorite game of the year, which seems a good reason to be a "fanboy". And it seems to me like you're just frustrated (it's a very frustrating game at times!) and complaining about everything you see, justified or not. I see very little wrong with the randomized levels, and a hell of a lot right. They're not going to patch the very nature of the game away, so if you don't like it, maybe you should play something else? :)

Um, it's not bullshit because you can easily prevent it by checking the area before you set off explosives. Like everything else in this game, it's on you to be careful. That's not a bug that's going to get fixed, in case you're wondering. Mind you, debris doesn't take off 6 lives. I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened to you. But I can say random explosion deaths have never happened to me, and I've played a LOT...
They hadn't happened to me either, except for this situation, where it did happen. I'm saying that I was well clear of the explosion, nothing fell on me and I lost 6 hearts just like that - that's the entire point here, that it was a bullshit freakout glitch!

It's possibly my favorite game of the year, which seems a good reason to be a "fanboy". And it seems to me like you're just frustrated (it's a very frustrating game at times!) and complaining about everything you see, justified or not. I see very little wrong with the randomized levels, and a hell of a lot right. They're not going to patch the very nature of the game away, so if you don't like it, maybe you should play something else? :)
Well, the reason I'm saying "fanboy" is because you're reading things in my posts that I'm not saying, and refusing to acknowledge that perhaps this game does have an issue or two. You've been responding like I'm complaining about it being too hard, which I've never stated nor implied, and now you're saying that I'm complaining about "every little thing" when I've only leveled complaints at the randomization engine not being perfect and a little list of three bullshit deaths I've had as a response to someone talking about bullshit deaths. They do happen, even if they haven't happened to you.

I mean, you can argue that, for example, my picture example can be ignored because you don't need a damsel on level 1-1 and that's fine, but the picture proves that the engine can create frustrating crap and that was my entire point. I never talked about it making the game too hard or frustrating, just that the randomization could use some work. I said "impossible situation," but that doesn't mean "impossible to survive;" it can also mean "that damsel is impossible to save," and she is. You interpreting that as "the game is too hard" is on you, as I've said no such thing.

TBH the game is growing on me.

The Jungle is hard as hell and the random levels can really fuck you over at time (exits to caves between two tikki traps) but Ive got the shortcut to ice levels now and Im starting to enjoy it.

Furthest Ive got so far is 4-3 (2-4 from the beginning) and I just got annihilated, started the cave with 6 health and lost it all in about 2 seconds.

ive managed to unlock the shortcut to the temple now but seriously, I get owned at the temple everytime. its overpopulated with things that want to kill you, Im finding it a right pain. only got to Olmec once, what do you even do? Just avoid it?
You need to make him commit suicide by falling into the lava below the ground he's stomping on, so you need to either make him stomp the same stop 5-6 times, or place the same number of bombs in the same spot while luring him to other spots.

As for the shortcuts, I find them useless myself. Throwing yourself into the Temple with 4 life, 4 bombs and 4 ropes is, in my opinion, a bigger headache than just starting from the beginning and rushing through the first few levels. Most of the achievements in the game are for full-game runs, so it's good to get practice in and when you do start from the beginning, you can make it to the Temple all geared up with awesome equipment.

Frustrating, isn't it? :)

I hate when had a good run and the game cheat me with dark level. It's next to impossible (at least for me) if that happens in the Temple.

Oh, God I hate those dark levels. Got two in a row once.

I hate that this game is so addictive too.

:p