They ruined this game!!!!

BrassBallz

First off I am a huge racing gamer with over 910gs in F1 2010, 920gs in Forza 3 and 1000gs in Forza 2. I absolutely loved F1 2010 but they completely ruined the handling of the cars in 2011!!!

The "quick setup" now only changes the downforce and leaves the balance of the settings, well, balanced as opposed to different setting for front/rear balance. The car, even with tweaked settings, have no feeling to them and gear changes are very detached.

I used to be able to pole/win most races against Pro AI but now medium AI, combined with poor car handling, is unrealistically skilled!

Also, what happened to the settings for damage, tyre wear and fuel? I had put my copy of 2010 up for sale on eBay but now I'm sending 2011 back to GameFly and canceling my auction.

Codies... what did you do to my beloved game? :mad::uzi:

I suppose I'll go back and race Season 4 for McClaren in 2010.

The cars will feel different due to the rule changes brought in for 2011. This season they have much smaller front wings which will give much less front end grip.

The tyres are different this season, Pirelli not Bridgestone so they might produce less grip.

Codies might not have ruined your game, it might just take a little while to get used to this seasons cars.

The cars will feel different due to the rule changes brought in for 2011. This season they have much smaller front wings which will give much less front end grip.

The tyres are different this season, Pirelli not Bridgestone so they might produce less grip.

Codies might not have ruined your game, it might just take a little while to get used to this seasons cars.

Surely you should still be able to turn on/off tyre wear, damage, and fuel sim though? I found in 2010 that this greatly alters handling throughout the race (as it's meant to) and it was a lot easier to turn them off if you couldn't be arsed with that happening, when going for the 7 seasons achievement for example.

If anyone reads this and is able to confirm either way about the tyre sim etc please do, if not I will check it out when I get in from work and update

Edited by Dar280885

Surely you should still be able to turn on/off tyre wear, damage, and fuel sim though? I found in 2010 that this greatly alters handling throughout the race (as it's meant to) and it was a lot easier to turn them off if you couldn't be arsed with that happening, when going for the 7 seasons achievement for example.

If anyone reads this and is able to confirm either way about the tyre sim etc please do, if not I will check it out when I get in from work and update

Yes you can still turn tyre wear, damage and fuel sim on and off.

the cars feel really oversteer ish, I play without TCS and even in 4th gear going around high speed sweepers the back end always wants to come out

and that's really not my style of driving

With TCS off or on medium I find myself in the same situation. The rear is breaking out, etc.

Also, when putting TCS to medium or turning it off, as soon as the tyres go red you are absolutely screwed - you basically can't go full throttle anywhere anymore.

I don't understand what people are complaining about, though. This is what formula one cars feel like (or at least I THINK they do) and the more assists you turn off, the more important your setup becomes. With TCS turned off, you can no longer select a quick setup and go for it, you'll have to find the right balance by changing your setup.

What I did find out and this I absolutely love:

The cars are now truthfully modelled after their real-life counterparts.

I did some laps in the Force India, Virgin and Red Bull and the difference is huge.

When driving the Red Bull you can just feel the higher corner speed and higher traction. You can take some sweeps full throttle where other cars would just lose it instantaneously.

I understand the points all of you are trying to get across, but I have never expected anything less from F1 2011. This is all the devs have talked about over the last months, making it more realistic and more of a simulation than an arcade racer.

I thought that this game would be a thoughtful update to 2010 and address some of the issues with cars spinning in low speed turns or snapping out of control. I'm well versed in car setup and both use and contribute tunes to http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2011-setups/ but Codies, in my opinion, have changed the handling for the worse.

As far as one of the above comments, the wings from 2010 and 2011 are the same size so that should not make a difference. They are no longer adjustable, however.

The main problem I have with this game is that you have to relearn to drive. I'm an ace at most tracks, even with an inferior car, but now I'm finding it difficult to to even be competitive. I had no problem with 2010's handling right out of the box. With the right setup the cars handle predictably. Contrary to what some think, this game feels much more 'arcady' than the prior installment.

Primary Gripes

- Cars do not feel natural

- downshifting/engine braking no longer slows the car

- Quicksetup dumbed down (what happened to F/R balance?) and ineffective

- Cars grossly understeer (fast setting says oversteer but they dramatically understeer)

- RPM gauge changed to lights (I know this is more realistic in cockpit mode but it does not work for the TV cam mode which is how I drive)

I was really looking forward to playing this game but now I feel let down :(

Edited by BrassBallz

I like oversteer, therefore I change things manually to give me oversteer. I've found in this game, the cars have far more grip, I can actually make corners that I had trouble with in 2010. I am really struggling to see where you are coming from, as I have done four 50% races and my car has not experienced any understeer, other than when my tyres go off.

The AI has been improved, it was completely unrealistic last year. Are you actually in a decent car? If you're in a Lotus or something, you shouldn't be finishing any higher than 15th. Unlike in 2010...

Each to their own, but I can't say I agree.

The AI has been improved, it was completely unrealistic last year. Are you actually in a decent car? If you're in a Lotus or something, you shouldn't be finishing any higher than 15th. Unlike in 2010...

I have actually come across what I consider a bug (or it's just bad AI programming). Did practice and qualifying at Malaysia a couple of hours ago and I actually managed to get 2nd place in Q1 and 1st place in P1 in a Virgin.

Sector 2 and 3 seem fine, I am trailing the top teams between .500 and 1 second in both sectors, but for some reason I am doing constant 24.xxx times in sector 1 while the top team AI are doing 27.xxx.

I have actually come across what I consider a bug (or it's just bad AI programming). Did practice and qualifying at Malaysia a couple of hours ago and I actually managed to get 2nd place in Q1 and 1st place in P1 in a Virgin.

Sector 2 and 3 seem fine, I am trailing the top teams between .500 and 1 second in both sectors, but for some reason I am doing constant 24.xxx times in sector 1 while the top team AI are doing 27.xxx.

I found the same thing. I've done four races as I said, the AI in qualifying for Malaysia were far slower than they should have been. In the other three races, I qualified 19th or so. In Malaysia I made it to Q3 easily, but didn't run. In the actual race, they were up to speed. Let me know when you do the race what their speed is like. Hopefully it's just a qualy/practice bug.

the handling feels very different and in my view more challenging, the old game was a a piece of piss to control, not realistic. i could get in an HRT and corner like a king, however on this i cannot replicate the amount of grip i get out of a red bull in something like an HRT.

the OP clearly has not played this game for longer than 5 minutes before trashing it, considering he didnt even know how to do a simple thing like turn tyre sim on/off etc. its exactly the same as how you do it in F1 2010, did you not play that game either?

i agree with some things though, the games graphics do look arcadier and the handling feels like the car is driving on a cushion of air rather than a road. but nonetheless this is a great update to a great game.

to those complaining about not getting grip when tyres are red, do you watch f1 or just play the game? not even jenson button can make shit tyres last a full distance...thats why teams do pit stops...in real life when the tyres hit the so called "cliff" their performance drops dramatically and they have done a fairly good job of reflecting this in the gameplay. red tyres around valencia cut my lap times by about 6-7 seconds, you guys are obviously not reacting to the conditions and are still trying to bang in quick laps, when tyres go you have to brake earlier and accellerate later, hence slower laps. if your trying to colin mcrae around the corners obviously you arnt going to be able to hold it, its an F1 sim not project gotham.

things im not a fan of in the new game, i still cant design my own helmet and theyve replaced the agent with a laptop which i never bother checking so im probably gonna end up missing contract offers. and a bug which ive found, in some instances you can activate DRS when the car BEHIND you is within a second and you are in P1. also i dont like the new engineer, hes nowehere near as enthusiastic about race wins than rob was lol.

on a lighter note and slightly off topic...i found out the hard way why they banned DRS up the hill at spa in real life lol. oh and dont try to overtake cars in the wet around parabolica using kers....

Edited by Nanbag

I found the same thing. I've done four races as I said, the AI in qualifying for Malaysia were far slower than they should have been. In the other three races, I qualified 19th or so. In Malaysia I made it to Q3 easily, but didn't run. In the actual race, they were up to speed. Let me know when you do the race what their speed is like. Hopefully it's just a qualy/practice bug.

seems like a bug to me, happened on a few tracks so far but its not a consistent bug, which is a bit wierd.

Edited by Nanbag

the handling feels very different and in my view more challenging, the old game was a a piece of piss to control, not realistic. i could get in an HRT and corner like a king, however on this i cannot replicate the amount of grip i get out of a red bull in something like an HRT.

I completely agree.

The difference between a Virgin/Lotus and a Red Bull is painstakingly realistic this year.

I drove a Force India and a Virgin before I started a Grand Prix in a Red Bull. At first I took the corners the same as with the FI/Virgin until I slowly started pushing the car more lap by lap and boy was it a joy to take fast sweepers that caused me to lose my rear in a Virgin with full throttle in the Red Bull!!!

Although better than last year I still feel the AI is way off realistic.

In slow corners I am ablt to make up 1 to 1.5 seconds on the AI however in a fast corner no matter what settings im using they just drive straight away from me even when I'm using KERS

I'm also struggling with understeer on most of the tracks and cant quite get the settings right to stop it happening.

I thought that this game would be a thoughtful update to 2010 and address some of the issues with cars spinning in low speed turns or snapping out of control. I'm well versed in car setup and both use and contribute tunes to http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2011-setups/ but Codies, in my opinion, have changed the handling for the worse.

As far as one of the above comments, the wings from 2010 and 2011 are the same size so that should not make a difference. They are no longer adjustable, however.

The main problem I have with this game is that you have to relearn to drive. I'm an ace at most tracks, even with an inferior car, but now I'm finding it difficult to to even be competitive. I had no problem with 2010's handling right out of the box. With the right setup the cars handle predictably. Contrary to what some think, this game feels much more 'arcady' than the prior installment.

Primary Gripes

- Cars do not feel natural

- downshifting/engine braking no longer slows the car

- Quicksetup dumbed down (what happened to F/R balance?) and ineffective

- Cars grossly understeer (fast setting says oversteer but they dramatically understeer)

- RPM gauge changed to lights (I know this is more realistic in cockpit mode but it does not work for the TV cam mode which is how I drive)

I was really looking forward to playing this game but now I feel let down :(

There are some issues with 2011, but they are not in relation to your list. If you want my honest opinion, I think that you prefer 2010 because you suck at racing. F1 2010, while a great game, was utterly void of the car's relationship to the road and its own handling/suspension, etc.

While I am at, the T-Cam (overhead of driver) is for noobs. Grow a pair and learn to drive from the perspective that the driver has, not the view from your couch as you watch the race on television.

I played F1 2009 on the Wii, don't laugh, the graphics might not have been so wonderful but the game was brilliant, the best F1 game I've played since 2000 on PlayStation.

After hearing the Codemasters were going to make an Xbox version for 2010 I thought it would be a brilliant game - it wasn't.

2010 had so many bugs it was unbelievable, even the "updates" made it worse rather than better. After playing and being thoroughly disappointed by 2010 there was/is no way I will be buying another F1 game from Codemasters.

From what my friends have been saying about 2011 I've definitely made the right choice by avoiding this game.

OP is a retard.

Nice comeback. Did you pay for schooling?

I'm still on the fence about this game since I'm a diehard Forza fan but I've been reading as much of the board as I can. Overall, I'm convinced this game is fun and satisfying to play with a bit of a learning curve. Sometimes first impressions are just frustrations that boil away over time. I hated Fallout 3 when it first came out but went back to it a couple of months later, learned it, and had a great time with the game. Perhaps that's the case here?