Gamertag Buzzkill

YodaSan2

I think we can all agree that achievements usually give you a challenge and a sense of pride and accomplishment, but some achievements ask for the mundane and near impossible. Those achievements that have us running around for hours having us look like a fool trying to either fetch something or do a specific god-like task in a certain time limit or without dying. This is tedious and a complete waste of time. With these achievements, it seems developers are trying to have us suckered in to spend more time with their titles this way. For me the flags and the Templars were asking too much. Don't get me started on conversationalist. Do you agree and what was the most difficult achievement for you to claim in Assassin's Creed? In other games?

In Assassin's Creed it was Eagle's Flight. That one was a little ridiculous. The most difficult I've had ever is a tie between Foxiest of the Hounds in Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Hardest Soul Trophy in Demon's Souls for the PS3. Wouldn;t wish to have to do either of those ones again.

• 3 months later...

Achievements are likened unto a Double Edged Sword. While they do extend the life of a title significantly and can add a little bit of extra challenge and even fun to said title, they do have a dark side. Some tasks, as you said are downright obnoxious in terms of tedium and difficulty. For me personally, I've not gotten the Impress Vidic and River Styx Achievements in Revelations and I'm STILL missing the conversationalist from the first game.

Long Story shot, Achievements can be fun to collect but also a HUGE drain on your patience.

I think we can all agree that achievements usually give you a challenge and a sense of pride and accomplishment, but some achievements ask for the mundane and near impossible. Those achievements that have us running around for hours having us look like a fool trying to either fetch something or do a specific god-like task in a certain time limit or without dying. This is tedious and a complete waste of time. With these achievements, it seems developers are trying to have us suckered in to spend more time with their titles this way. For me the flags and the Templars were asking too much. Don't get me started on conversationalist. Do you agree and what was the most difficult achievement for you to claim in Assassin's Creed? In other games?

Nope. Don't include me in your assumption. I loved every minute of thi sgame. When it came out there was nothing like it. It took me 5 play throughs, but Im proud to complete this one.

• 1 month later...

I just started playing the game, and as far as I am concerned, I will play it for the story, and only if I end up really really liking it will I go for all the flags and such.

That's what it comes down for me. If its really good, Ill keep playing to find all the extras while enjoying the game itself again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im all for challenging achievements but tedius is a different story. Thats what assassins creed titles seem to me. I loathe collectable achievements and avoid them at all cost unless i REALLY love a game. Or its really worth it. But most collectables arent find 120 x for 20 g no thank you

• 2 months later...

Personally, I thought that the environment and freedom of movement were, especially for the time in which this game came out, among the best parts of the game, and the collectibles served to show off those aspects. I didn't mind them.

You know what game had tedious, pointless achievements? And I'm talking about a quality game, not some crap that everyone expected to be a pain to play.

Mafia 2. Go drive a thousand miles in that game, and then after a minimum of 10 hours without saving (and that's a hard minimum; if you get it in ten hours then you have the concentration of a Jedi and the luck of a Leprechaun), see if you still hate Assassin's Creed. At least Altair doesn't need gas every half hour, and can't lose a hundred flags' worth of progress if a single guard happens to attack him.

• 5 weeks later...

The flags did me in a real treat, although I tried getting them as I went round.

I would prefer to have achievements like that the treasure hoarder one done before I finish the main story I feel I don't always want to go back and do things afterwards. Same for all the side missions, I did all of them before I continued.

Collecting the flags wasn't so bad. It's realizing you missed one and didn't keep track of which ones you collected as you went and having to go back to find one! :mad:

oh yeah that is the worst! I had to do that last night and retraced my steps using a map but thankfully I only had to look for the first 15 flags in that area before I found the one missing flag.

oh yeah that is the worst! I had to do that last night and retraced my steps using a map but thankfully I only had to look for the first 15 flags in that area before I found the one missing flag.

Yeah I've been putting that off for a while. I'm not even positive what area I missed one. I'm pretty sure it's in the Kingdom, but it's so discouraging.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah I've been putting that off for a while. I'm not even positive what area I missed one. I'm pretty sure it's in the Kingdom, but it's so discouraging.

It might be easier to run through another playthrough. My advice would be to be careful where you step. If you collect a flag in an area that is not unlocked it wont count and will be lost forever.

It might be easier to run through another playthrough. My advice would be to be careful where you step. If you collect a flag in an area that is not unlocked it wont count and will be lost forever.

Yeah I started up playing it again and it took about 15 minutes before I found the missing one :D Finally glad to have that achievement finished and now at 100%