Tips on drifting

red mist 85

I just for the life of me can't get the hang of drifting in this game. I'm generally pretty good at racing games, but for some reason I'm obviously just not doing it right.

I've tried letting off the accelerator and tapping the handbrake(B). I've tried holding the handbrake as I turn. I've tried a combination of both brakes. I've tried easing off the gas, pressing B and then accelerating out of the bend. None of them seem to work. I played the beta to death and I never got the hang of it then and I still can't now. I either grind along the outside of the track or I slow down to a snail's pace to turn. Neither of which are ideal! Plus if I choose a drifty car, the back end just swings out and I end up broadside along the track.

It didn't become so much of a problem until the checkpoint race (event 5) of city slickers. You can't afford to be slamming walls or slowing to a stop in those events! I managed to meet the demands in the end, but it was pretty hard going.

It could also be something to do with the fact I've just played split/second for 2 weeks solid and that feels totally different. Like I said, I consider myself good at racing games, but I can't seem to do it right! Any tips on how to drift properly would be much appreciated, Thanks.

I consider myself bad at racing games!

It's rare when I find myself hitting :bbut: to drift. If I need to drift, normally my car is somewhat "drifty" and does it by itself. Instead either try slightly tapping :bbut:. Better yet, just slow down using :ltbut: and continue on around. Slowing down works fine for me most of the time, especially in checkpoint races.

I have been writing a "Hard Event Guide". Well, it's not really a guide, but just what I specifically did to pass the events. I have 4 more event series to go, but the one in question that you wrote about I did happen to pass. Here is clip of that info from my upcoming guide. (It's not extremely well done, it's the best I can do with a game like this where anything can happen).

"Use the BMW M3 EP2 if you even want to stand a chance. This checkpoint race is vicious when it comes to you making certain decisions. So never go through the shortcut with the gate that leads you around to a lot of stopwatches. Go to the left of that shortcut, then cross into the right section. Where there are puddles, Nitro through but don’t Nitro off the ramp (so you have more control when you land and don’t hit the wall too hard). That’s the best advice I can give you! Good luck!"

Edited by Tyger7