Your Interpretation of People (On Here/Forums)

Br0kenAssass1n

Agree to disagree here. Being a hippie or "rebelling against the man" has nothing to do with age or growing up. Don't even know why people have the tendency to attach a "thing" to age. I generally find that to be an asinine thing to do.

He's just making things up now to suit himself, that wasn't even what the age thing was about.

He meant my whole opinion about everything wasn't valid because I was 18 and "didn't have a mortgage or significant other or children".

Titan, fancy leaving that shit where you twist what was actually said and being a troll out though?

This could be a fun thread, no need to bog it down with that serious junk.

If you really are desperate to spark up your little childish, "yay right-wing, you're totally hippie scum just because your views are different" and "I'm older and therefore that makes me right" argument, do it personally with me, not here.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also couldnt stand Iconoclast/Ironcoclast/whatever her name was. If I recognize a name I generally stick around a thread to see what they have to say. Madcap1, Foxhound300, Pants; actually anyone from the completionist community group - everyone recognizes him though. If their oppinion is relevant (not necessarily agreeable - Vlad is someone I generally dont agree with on most things but that doesnt mean I dont respect what he has to say) and well thought out then I begin to pick up on those people as well. I pick up more from people who post in game threads though (as that is my usual stalking ground).

There's a fairly regular name that I see mentioned a lot and a see a lot of his/her posts but I find that I never agree with his opinions and they are always border line spam but so far no official punishment so I know he/her isn't a problem and it's just me not liking someone.

Ps Just to settle things he hasn't yet posted on this thread.

He's finally posted (look down).Nah I'm only messing with you :-P. I think I know who you mean does he have UK in his name anywhere? lol. If I'm wrong I'll get everyone who has UK in their name paranoid (it's a win win situation :-).

Oh boy I'm going to be that guy but here I go...I've built up a mental image on various users and I WILL NAME NAMES...though not to insult. I can only imagine what some of you think of me...;>_>

Barbaric Goose...it's your avatar ._. I see Steve Jobs and I'm automatically picturing him typing these messages. And the thing is...I hate Steve Jobs, he's such an arrogant prick that throws his products out there and if something's wrong with it, you can go ahead and blame him. Especially "claiming the Iphone as the best portable gaming console"...talk about trying to fill big shoes. Though as a person, I view you as an intellectual with a snarky attitude which isn't a bad thing. If I'd have to make a guess on your actual appearance...I'd probably be dead wrong.

Saiyu ..I can't remember if you're the guy from Germany or not, but I know someone that started with an S used to have this guy in his avatar that looked like James Franco and whenever he posted, I always pictured James Franco .__. though he was kind of an everyguy kind of nice person so I didn't have any negative image of him. James Franco works!

Takamura Bear...one of the people I socialize most with on this site I view as...well, since I haven't seen pictures ;>_> I kind of view him as a uh...anime character! X_X; Actually lol...that black guy he had in his signature (on two seperate occassions) is what I sometimes picture him as...;>___> the one with the moving head, kind of reminded me of Paul Mooney but I'm probably wrong.

TitansofWar ...I haven't talked with this guy in forever but...he always seemed like an old fashioned republican. ;>_> he's very right-wing and not to be offensive...but I viewed him as older than most people on this site.

And then there's that one girl I really disliked, I can NOT remember her name but she always entered every topic with a negative remark about it. She finally got banned and her account was returned, but she hasn't posted since that point. She was pretty popular around here from what I heard...and very egotistical about her appearance (she assumed every gamer wanted a piece of her just cause she was a woman...yeah right...lol).

As for me, well I come off in many different forms. Sometimes completely idiotic and sometimes I make myself out like a know-it-all. But I try to be as nice as possible and be the good guy without pissing off a lot of people. I hope I'm not seen as a giant turd .___.; I mean I'm in the Faces thread and I used to have my Hollow Mask picture for the longest while...if anything, I'd like to be viewed as uh...hm...something pleasant.

This topic has me paranoid ;>_> people not mentioning names yet I'm the one who actually said a few...not trying to be offensive (but I tried REALLY HARD not to be overly bad with Iconolaust or whatever, the girl I mentioned and Titan...both rude people in their own right).

I was wandering what happened to Iclonoclast (or whatever her name was) she got banned then?. I don't hate anyone except that "person".

Edited by jamie1000013

Most people here are okay, but I do assume them to be all quite young. This is based solely off their use of grammar and spelling.

In my short experience, the best way to avoid the idiots that I have come across on this forum is to avoid the GoW2 thread/s and any XP events or related threads!

I really don't recognise most names, but Iconoclast was one person who I couldn't understand and Vlad, I have always liked your posts.

This is based solely off their use of grammar and spelling.

I've never understood this. Is there some type of general rule that states grammar and spelling is correlated with age? I've seen plenty of older people (20+) who type like crap and have met younger people (below 18) who are quite good with English. Basing age off of grammar and spelling is illogical. It's like saying someone has less of a life if he or she has a higher gamerscore. Does that make sense? Or I should say that everyone who plays video games is childish and immature? I dislike it when people base intelligence, age, and other characteristics off of spelling and grammar.

He's just making things up now to suit himself, that wasn't even what the age thing was about.

He meant my whole opinion about everything wasn't valid because I was 18 and "didn't have a mortgage or significant other or children".

Titan, fancy leaving that shit where you twist what was actually said and being a troll out though?

This could be a fun thread, no need to bog it down with that serious junk.

If you really are desperate to spark up your little childish, "yay right-wing, you're totally hippie scum just because your views are different" and "I'm older and therefore that makes me right" argument, do it personally with me, not here.

I don't understand why you would lie? I'm sure the entire argument is there for everyone to see in the 'Gamespot Fingerprint' thread. Our private messaging was a basic extension of the thread;

You didn't believe fingerprints should be taken when selling second hand games, and I believed you to be a dirty little hippie as a result.

Anyway, I don't want to get this lovely little thread locked, so i will end the conversation here. Do not bother replying to me as your free loving thoughts are invalid.

Agree to disagree here. Being a hippie or "rebelling against the man" has nothing to do with age or growing up. Don't even know why people have the tendency to attach a "thing" to age. I generally find that to be an asinine thing to do.

As a side note - people attach 'things' to ages/different types of people because stereotyping works. It might not work 100% of the time, but it works enough for it to become accepted as a stereotype.

Goths are usually under 20, prostitutes tend to enjoy drugs, footballers have below average IQs and in today's era, hippies tend to be young (and live with their parents) as you can't survive in a capitalist society by paying for everything with 'love', like you used to be able to do in the 70s.

Edited by TitansWar

I've never understood this. Is there some type of general rule that states grammar and spelling is correlated with age? I've seen plenty of older people (20+) who type like crap and have met younger people (below 18) who are quite good with English. Basing age off of grammar and spelling is illogical. It's like saying someone has less of a life if he or she has a higher gamerscore. Does that make sense? Or I should say that everyone who plays video games is childish and immature? I dislike it when people base intelligence, age, and other characteristics off of spelling and grammar.

Fair point. I should have also said, that I am normally wrong about this. Often I find that it is the other way round. I guess it comes down to pride and laziness, rather than age.

I try not to make these pre-judgements any longer. It dawned on me that this is the case when, while meeting an older gamer on live, his favourite two words seemed to by "gay" and "fail". Every other sentence was "... that fails," or "Fail!" or "That is so gay!"

It was like talking to a school kid.

As a side note - people attach 'things' to ages/different types of people because stereotyping works. It might not work 100% of the time, but it works enough for it to become accepted as a stereotype.

Goths are usually under 20, prostitutes tend to enjoy drugs, footballers have below average IQs and in today's era, hippies tend to be young (and live with their parents) as you can't survive in a capitalist society by paying for everything with 'love', like you used to be able to do in the 70s.

I would like to think you're joking but I can tell you're not. Quite the shame, though, as stereotypes are absolute garbage and don't actually work. They're just preconceived notions imagined on illogical observations. Perpetuating ideals like that, such as blue is boys and pink is for girls, is just silly. It just creates a foundation for inequality, prejudice, and discrimination. Of course, a capitalist society can't function without any of those. Ah well!

Fair point. I should have also said, that I am normally wrong about this. Often I find that it is the other way round. I guess it comes down to pride and laziness, rather than age.

I try not to make these pre-judgements any longer. It dawned on me that this is the case when, while meeting an older gamer on live, his favourite two words seemed to by "gay" and "fail". Every other sentence was "... that fails," or "Fail!" or "That is so gay!"

It was like talking to a school kid.

Touche. I dislike how gamers have become associated with the words "epic" and "fail." Those two words are the bane of my existence.

I would like to think you're joking but I can tell you're not. Quite the shame, though, as stereotypes are absolute garbage and don't actually work. They're just preconceived notions imagined on illogical observations. Perpetuating ideals like that, such as blue is boys and pink is for girls, is just silly. It just creates a foundation for inequality, prejudice, and discrimination. Of course, a capitalist society can't function without any of those. Ah well!

I have spoken to many people about this in the past. Stereotyping, or 'prejudice', is sensible. It is human evolution. It saves us time are people and it is something that other animals cannot do because they have not evolved in the same way as us.

When I see a pile of burning logs and I touch it, I burn myself. If I then see a shrub on fire, I know not to touch it as it looks similar to last thing that hurt me. This saves me time and effort, as I don't have to touch EVERYTHING I come across just to see if it will injure me.

In the same way, when I see someone who is watching/reading manga/anime I know from past experience that there is no point talking to them as I will not enjoy their company. I might not be correct, as they might be the most coolest motherfucking-est person ever. However, as a general rule of thumb, ignoring manga lovers is a sensible time saver for me. Now, thanks to my super stereotyping ability, I don't have to introduce myself to every single person I see - I can tell who I am most likely to be friends with just by looking at them. We all do it. Much like you might think brunettes are more your 'thing', and as a prejudgement you would talk to the brunette standing at the bar as opposed to her fair haired counterpart.

People are too 'moral' to say what I said as they are worried it isn't very politcally correct. Morals, as a general rule, are a joke and should not apply to a progressive world. As it stands, our evolution is limited from here on out because of people like Vladimirk.

So when your child is born with cancer - blame him.

Oh noes...I had this entire big thing typed up and then my internet froze! ~_~ Basically the jist of it: this may or may not turn into a Roast of Iconoclast since she has not been here since June after her week-long-ban and then I guess she never got the notice that she was unbanned (NO ONE TELL HER! o.o). Then I stated I don't want to get into any sort of fight with Titan because I already know that it will be oneway! By the way...

I don't understand why you would lie? I'm sure the entire argument is there for everyone to see in the 'Gamespot Fingerprint' thread. Our private messaging was a basic extension of the thread;

You didn't believe fingerprints should be taken when selling second hand games, and I believed you to be a dirty little hippie as a result.

Anyway, I don't want to get this lovely little thread locked, so i will end the conversation here. Do not bother replying to me as your free loving thoughts are invalid.

I wouldn't want to get involved in that. I was on the side that disliked the whole fingerprinting ordeal (thus where I first ran into this guy) and he was on the side that voted Dubuya twice. =/

Then I praised Skibada as a stuffed animal and pictured Minty as Hannah Montana...but a more serious, to the point and very intimidating Hanna Montana o.o;

Yay, I condensed it! That post was far too long anyways...regardless, here's my picture idea! This is what all of you look like o.o;

Minty

http://imeanwhat.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Hannah-Montana-Christmas-tv.jpg

Barbaric Goose

http://static.stuff.co.nz/1279319059/554/3929554.jpg

Takamura Bear

http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2009-06-07/1244388595565.jpg

Skibada

http://angel1hinata.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/tn1954lg.jpg

Jamie10000

http://www.buzztab.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/chuck_norris.jpg

or

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/article/719/719581/clive-barkers-jericho-20060719105955853.jpg

Take your pick X_X;

BrokenAssassin

http://www.joystickdivision.com/wheelchair%20ninja.gif

VladimirK

http://diehardgamefan.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/300px-dracula1_small.jpg

TitansWar

http://www.reoiv.com/images/random/WWRJD.jpg

Iconoclast

http://jennyramsey.com/Images/Simpson%20-%20google.jpg

Finally, something I don't want to mock you about. Her name was Iconoclast, or something similar, and she was the most annoying poster I have witnessed on any board.

Some people care about achievements, she seemed to care about her post count. I figured her out when she posted a news story in the entertainment board and had a several post conversation about how she had searched and didn't see anything about it until someone pointed out that she had POSTED in the first thread on the news story. I checked and the last full day she was on the forums, she posted 72 times.

There are some people on the site that I have an image of them as a petulent 12 year old, but I am not naming names on that one. I'm gonna stay positive on this. I'm also gonna try to avoid just talking about people's avatars, since that is usually the impression I get, and avoid using what I have learned off other sources, like Live.

Vlad: I see you as a hippie scholar. The type of person who will protest the government and write letters to the editor but has also read dozens of books about his left wing ideals, and knows why he believes what he belives, as opposed to some of the younger hippies who see it as a form of conformist rebellion.

Hero of Acre: Tea Partier, through and through. A small governement type but likes the military and would have joined up if he was as good with a gun in real life as he was on COD.

Starstrukk: Originally seemed like a 14 year old girl (doing the I <3 some guy stuff), but now seems the guitar player in a pub band. Stage personality and actual personality, calm amidst some kinds of chaos.

Pants: Always seems like the ex-military school teacher. The type of person that is really a decent person but lord help you if you step out of line. That impressive ability to intimidate but only used if you step out of line. You call him Mr. even if you know his real name.

Minty: Mr. Myxztplk, through and through. A jester who can mess you up royal wielding the power he does. Then again, if you find yourself punished by his god-like powers, there was probably a reason for it.

It's only natural to form opinions about people based upon what you're interactions are with them.

For example if you hear someone on xbla that sounds like a girl, you will make an imaginary profile of that person being a girl.

It's the human condition to judge others and base your judgments on whatever interactions you may have with that person. Anyone who says they don't do this is only lying to themselves because they may have a judgment they want to keep to themselves.

Some people care about achievements, she seemed to care about her post count. I figured her out when she posted a news story in the entertainment board and had a several post conversation about how she had searched and didn't see anything about it until someone pointed out that she had POSTED in the first thread on the news story. I checked and the last full day she was on the forums, she posted 72 times.

Strangely enough, it seemed like she hated achievements...I can remember a few times where she'd ask why people cared so much and that she could care less that her gamerscore was as low as it was (5,000 or something at the time, I haven't checked lately...). Then I began to question...how did she end up here if she could care so little for achievements? Led me to believe she needed a place to troll people...and if this site needed a female troll, it was her.

I would like to say I don't have a problem with Iconoclast, that said she must of done something that I haven't seen that you guys have.

Ps... I agree with most of what Doug said. Exepct Minty having him having godly powers, I definitely dont think he has God powers he is already losing 2-0 to his nemisis Schoolbusses.

Strangely enough, it seemed like she hated achievements...I can remember a few times where she'd ask why people cared so much and that she could care less that her gamerscore was as low as it was (5,000 or something at the time, I haven't checked lately...). Then I began to question...how did she end up here if she could care so little for achievements? Led me to believe she needed a place to troll people...and if this site needed a female troll, it was her.

Her gamerscore was perpetually 14k and change. She liked to game, but only on two games: Call of Duty and Rock Band. There are a lot of people like that on this site. It takes a specific personality type to be a scorewhore, and even the people who aren't score whores on this site have that inkling. Her personality manifested in her obsession over post count, and she seemed to troll as a way to have something to respond to, in some threads anyway. She way quite pleasant in the entertainment board, but still came across as a hyperactive 14 year old girl. Oh, and I seem to think it was her that was using internet standard pictures for her avatar, so she didn't look like what her Avatar looked like originally.

Okay everyone, so long as this remains a general discussion it's fine but when we start posting about why we dislike specific members and why we're glad they haven't come back it's going too far. Let's not turn the thread into a popularity contest and stick to generalities instead.

Back on topic, I too create a mental image of people on the forums and even people I game with a lot online that I've never met. In fact I just met a few of the people I game with a lot at PAX for the first time. Imagine my surprise when I met them and they didn't look like they're XBL avatar :).

Then I praised Skibada as a stuffed animal and pictured Minty as Hannah Montana...but a more serious, to the point and very intimidating Hanna Montana o.o;

Yay, I condensed it! That post was far too long anyways...regardless, here's my picture idea! This is what all of you look like o.o;

Minty

http://imeanwhat.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Hannah-Montana-Christmas-tv.jpg

BrokenAssassin

http://www.joystickdivision.com/wheelchair%20ninja.gif

Haha, your pics remind me of a game we played back in the day called guess the member:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=158529

One last one for old times. Guess the member:

http://blog.usa.gov/roller/govgab/resource/images/TV.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLR__G4L0qO_jgfvnyDgnuczVmgOPOeL58Q7phcuHQgJMbhBg&t=1&usg=___rT_sQBkceBYcCN5F-2L414LbqM=

or

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQe6_kO445H6cQMo5fFs-MZPZZYySiwo9b22q0E4jXmaGwO12k&t=1&usg=__qcmigWcAJ5qupXuSYgvIG-Yukms=

Edited by Wii187

I have spoken to many people about this in the past. Stereotyping, or 'prejudice', is sensible. It is human evolution. It saves us time are people and it is something that other animals cannot do because they have not evolved in the same way as us.

When I see a pile of burning logs and I touch it, I burn myself. If I then see a shrub on fire, I know not to touch it as it looks similar to last thing that hurt me. This saves me time and effort, as I don't have to touch EVERYTHING I come across just to see if it will injure me.

In the same way, when I see someone who is watching/reading manga/anime I know from past experience that there is no point talking to them as I will not enjoy their company. I might not be correct, as they might be the most coolest motherfucking-est person ever. However, as a general rule of thumb, ignoring manga lovers is a sensible time saver for me. Now, thanks to my super stereotyping ability, I don't have to introduce myself to every single person I see - I can tell who I am most likely to be friends with just by looking at them. We all do it. Much like you might think brunettes are more your 'thing', and as a prejudgement you would talk to the brunette standing at the bar as opposed to her fair haired counterpart.

People are too 'moral' to say what I said as they are worried it isn't very politcally correct. Morals, as a general rule, are a joke and should not apply to a progressive world. As it stands, our evolution is limited from here on out because of people like Vladimirk.

So when your child is born with cancer - blame him.

I would have liked to see an unpredictable response but I saw the evolution thing coming from a mile away.

If we adhered to our evolutionary instincts all the time then, by extension, you should have no problem having me (I'm hypothetically poor) come to your house and murdering you while stealing everything you own. I mean, my instincts is to look out for myself at all times.

But I disagree that evolutionary instincts are that powerful. Conditioning is far more powerful, in my opinion, than evolutionary attributes. That's why we have created society how it is: there's some order and things, as I like to think optimistically, are always getting better. That's because rational thinking and avoiding being a primitive being prevents me from coming to your house and murdering you because I'm down and out.

Also, don't confuse selfishness with evolution. You don't have to assume that all manga-lovers are a waste of time. You don't have to do anything. Attributing it to evolution as to avoid making yourself look like a primitive human being is just called deflection. You're allowed to this opinion, obviously, but you can prevent thinking like that. You just choose to think like this at no fault of evolution.

It's only natural to form opinions about people based upon what you're interactions are with them.

For example if you hear someone on xbla that sounds like a girl, you will make an imaginary profile of that person being a girl.

It's the human condition to judge others and base your judgments on whatever interactions you may have with that person. Anyone who says they don't do this is only lying to themselves because they may have a judgment they want to keep to themselves.

I know people who aren't "lying" to themselves. Just because you're incapable doesn't mean it isn't possible.

If you want to ignore me then why make a post about me? Seems very illogical to me. Also, you're lucky I'm self-conceded enough to search for my own name or I never would have found your post(s).

Some of you get my humour, whilst others do not, and to the latter I am simply a 'troll'. I see nothing 'troll'-like in pointing out when someone is being incredibly stupid [please see my signature], but in all forums you get White Knights who love to protect the weak brained.

On Topic: For me, people fall into two catergories - annoying & 'I-can't-remember-their-names'. I assume If I start posting the names I can remember I will get banned, so I will resist the urge to list Vladimirk, Jamie1000013, TVthePunisher and Carmona25

*I'd just like to point out that I didn't claim to have 'won' the argument because of your age. I was simply stating that your childishly hippie argument was a sign of your age, and it was a phase you would grow out of. Rebelling against 'the man' is only cool when you're young.

Finally, something I don't want to mock you about. Her name was Iconoclast, or something similar, and she was the most annoying poster I have witnessed on any board.

I guess if my name is mentioned I fall under the annoying category :-). I don't dislike you Titan, if you got that impression.

I want more people to post in the post a pic thread so I can see if the picture in my head of you is the same as your actual look lol. I don't really see people as their sigs or avatars, or profile pics etc. I do get mental images of people over their names though >.<.

Also @Tvpunisher what was that second pic of "me"? lol. Looked pretty hardcore, like a human version of Kabutops lol.

Edited by jamie1000013

I guess if my name is mentioned I fall under the annoying category :-). I don't dislike you Titan, if you got that impression.

I want more people to post in the post a pic thread so I can see if the picture in my head of you is the same as your actual look lol. I don't really see people as their sigs or avatars, or profile pics etc. I do get mental images of people over their names though >.<.

Also @Tvpunisher what was that second pic of "me"? lol. Looked pretty hardcore, like a human version of Kabutops lol.

Jericho from Clive Barker's Jericho...or something ;>_> I never played it, so yeah...a badass Kabutops works too! X_X; at least you weren't this guy:

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/815/815344/clive-barkers-jericho-20070823053118307_640w.jpg

Haha, your pics remind me of a game we played back in the day called guess the member:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=158529

One last one for old times. Guess the member:

http://blog.usa.gov/roller/govgab/resource/images/TV.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLR__G4L0qO_jgfvnyDgnuczVmgOPOeL58Q7phcuHQgJMbhBg&t=1&usg=___rT_sQBkceBYcCN5F-2L414LbqM=

or

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQe6_kO445H6cQMo5fFs-MZPZZYySiwo9b22q0E4jXmaGwO12k&t=1&usg=__qcmigWcAJ5qupXuSYgvIG-Yukms=

Damn straight, classic TV...then again I wouldn't have complained if it was an HD one. That sounds pretty neat, that Guess the Member deal.

I definitely find myself forming a mental image of someone based on online interaction, but the image is different whether it's only interacting through forums or if it's also through voice chat. I get more of a visual image of a person when I hear their voice. When it's only forum posts that I have to go by, it's a much more generic image, not even really visual I guess. It's kind of like following directions based on landmarks or based on road names. The landmarks are like a mental picture of someone and what I think they might look like, but the road names are just a compilation of what I remember about their postings, like accessing a file of information about them. So voice chat = visual images (landmarks), and forum posts = files (road names). Does that make any sense?

Either way it's a definite impression of someone. I start making assumptions about what someone might be like personality wise and whether I would like them or not. But like people have said, what someone's like online is usually a lot different than what they would be like in person. Personally, I think I'm pretty similar online or in person. I usually won't say anything on a forum or in voice chat that I wouldn't say face to face. I probably use a few bigger words when I'm writing than I would in speech, I guess. :p

Reminds me of something someone told me once, something along the lines of: "You can never truly know another person, you can only aspire to truly know yourself."

Saiyu ..I can't remember if you're the guy from Germany or not, but I know someone that started with an S used to have this guy in his avatar that looked like James Franco and whenever he posted, I always pictured James Franco .__. though he was kind of an everyguy kind of nice person so I didn't have any negative image of him. James Franco works!

Totally not me. Nor do I even know who you're talking about. I'm from the States and have never used an avatar of James Franco in my life. xD

Because poor grammar and spelling reflects badly upon the writer. It makes you seem less intelligent.