Help on Pursuit of Echigoya

Abunai Aite

Ive played through this mission maybe...4 times. And I have still yet been able to recieve an 5 rank. Ive tryed killing as many people as i could without alerting him or loosing him but I still cant. Any Advice from people who have gotten it?

I finally got this one after a TON of try's. First off blow guns are your friend and you need to kill roughly 8 people without being seen once. Its a bit of a pain in the ass but once you get to learning where the guys are and how Echigoya moves you should be able to get it done no problem

I finally got this one after a TON of try's. First off blow guns are your friend and you need to kill roughly 8 people without being seen once. Its a bit of a pain in the ass but once you get to learning where the guys are and how Echigoya moves you should be able to get it done no problem

Damn items! I always forget about those because I played the Jap version first and had no idea what majority of them did so just didn't bother. Here's the itemless ways I did it, it will no doubt take a crapload more practice to do...

1st kill - Start level on rooftop, superjump one roof over, roll down a rooftop to lower roof and wait above the guy between buildings. Soon as Echigoya comes into view (you should be facing the street) the guard below you will be waving to a civilian behind you. Then Echigoya will turn and a fraction of a second later the guard will turn, drop down on him then and pull him out a tiny bit to the left so you aren't spotted by Echigoya and slam him to the ground using the RB once you've got him choked. Doing it this way you don't have to waste time putting your sword away.

Civilian knockout - Now do crouching roll across the street, taking one extra roll towards down the street where Echigoya is walking to reset your 24 clock. Knockout (don't kill or you will not get gold) the civilian guy.

2nd kill - run behind the row of houses drawing your sword and crouch in the bushes right next to the street after the turn. Across from you is where the bushes with 2 roaming civilians are, and there is a ramp upwards just to your right. Echigoya will come to a stop in front of you and and archer will walk down and stop to your left at the corner of the house. Wait for it, wait for it, Echigoya will turn and resume his walk and the archer will come back your way. Once he passes you and is slightly up the ramp, quickly roll behind him and kill him. If you already have your sword drawn you will do the move where you flip him over on the ground and he'll be on the ramp out of site of the civilians.

3rd kill - run up the ramp towards Echigoya, but stop before the street becomes level, just enough to reset your timer which should be about 8 seconds right now. Jump up the fence to your left, then on the rooftop. Just below you, conveniently right next to the bushes is another guard. Drop down and kill him however you choose, I prefer the silent fast slam to the ground headsnap myself. You have about 10 seconds left again so jump back up on the rooftop you just rolled down from to reset your timer.

4th kill - jump over to the next row of building where Echigoya is going to go around. Stand on the tall building towards the main street and look down near the fence and the guard that should be standing back in the corner. Once he walks under you, drop down and drag him out into the main street, around the building you were just on and kill him in the alley. Basically playing ring around the building with Echigoya at this point. He will 'see' you for a second when you first drop down, but only the yellow warning and it will not fail the mission. Now jump back up on the high rooftop you just dropped down from.

5th kill - Superjump over the fence to the other building, and again across main street to the next row of buildlings. Echigoya and the Tomikichi should be right below you. Soon as Echigoya turns the corner (this will be fast) drop down on the Echigoya and drag him back behind the fence. This is the trickiest part of my plan because you are dragging him right behind Echigoya and you will be spotted by the other guard who roams up the street behind you. If you are fast, you'll be fine and just get the yellow "what was that investigation" instead of the flames. Anyhow, kill the Tomikichi guy behind the fence (grab his item drop) and now it should be clear to jump the fence that's between you and Echigoya since he should have resumed his walk and be on the other side of the buildings.

6th kill - Jump across the rooftops until you are on the far side of the street that Echigoya is walking down. He will walk to the end, but you only want to go halfway. Here is where the guard that most likely spotted you earlier will walk to and stop. If you have your sword drawn already, drop down kill him fast, then back up the rooftop. You are too far away to alert Echigoya and now run/roll/jump down the rooftops until you are right next to him. He's probably already started walking again, but drop down into the corner and grab the item box.

7th kill - I hate this one, because you can't see to much and it just becomes improvised all the time, which is why here is where I fail a lot. But after you grab that item box, jump the fence and run over to the next fence where Echigoya will walk, jump up it but just hang there. Watch your distance meter and when the number gets smaller you know he's passed and it's safe to climb up. Jump on the rooftop to your right, and prepare to drop down and kill the lantern guard that roams around it. You have to wait until Echigoya turns and starts his walk again, usually I play it safe and wait until the lantern guy is behind the building. Now time is ticking down so quickly get back up on the fence and across the next few rows of buildings to your right to reset your timer.

8th kill - Takes practice! With your sword drawn already, once Echigoya passes the guard he will be standing across the street from you, super jump over there and kill him with the death from above move. Quickly grab his body and throw it to your left (probably unnecessary but I like to be thorough) so Echigoya can't spot it. Run back and jump up the building you just jump down from.

From there you can run across the roof towards the gate and watch the end scene. Now how's that for an explanation!? Of course, blowguns are probably way easier.

Kaens Thank you for that kill guide. Took practice but it helped me beat it and got me my 50 5 rank and 50 5 rank easy. thank you once again.

Anytime, always glad I can help, especially on a sneaking game :) Honestly there are better ways to do the 5 & 6th guy, but that's just the last way I was doing it so I could get more time to grab the item and get over in place for the 7th kill.

nice, this should help - seems i killed them all - but i usually get seen once - and well - i dont kill them in that order - and echi - tends to run around like a little bitch when he sees my wake of carnage lol

• 3 weeks later...

I got 950 points on my first attempt. I found the key to this is to only take out 5 or 6 guys but to do them with a total stealth kill (when the ring flashes red)

The guy normally stops every so often and there are a couple of guys you can take out at each stop. Another good thing is that if he sees a body he will run. Bad news because you have to catch him up, good news in the sense he wont catch you taking out some of the enemies.

If you manage to get 6 total stealth kills then just stick to the roofs and stay completely out of site till you reach the gate at the end. You get bonus points for not getting injured, not being seen and not using any items. This is an easy 400 (I think) to start you off.

The way I work it out is for each time I am seen I just add an extra kill to my list on any level I do.

If Echigoya gets too far away and the timer starts and you know you have an easy kill near you then roll towards Echigoya the roll back. It restarts the timer and gives you extra seconds to get the kill. Normally a distance of 46-50 will stop the timer and he wont be able to see you.

• 8 months later...

man u can use blowguns and still get stealth kills? that makes it so much easier. This is the only mission that I was having trouble getting ninja 5 on. I recommend finishing this mission on easy norm and hard asap and ur in the clear the rest of the game pretty much

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Sorry for the "waking the dead" on this one, but I have only just recently finished the game, and this mission was the only one (apart from the forced fights.. stupid!) that was controller snapping frustration for me.

I just REALLY needed to give a shout to this thread and its posters for .. saving my controller. While I ended up pretty much doing the level my own way, Having the suggestions as initial groundwork was the real breakthrough.

Thanks all. Because of you, I have just managed to make several runs through this level on hard getting a satisfying 3165 gold using just bare hands for Total SK every time.

You all rock!

@ He Danny

Thanks for bumping the thread as this was just what I was looking for :)

I'd been having trouble getting Ninja 5 on this on Easy, but have now just done it on Hard with Total SK on all 8 enemies and no gadgets used :D

A few tips I would add to anyone reading this:

• Don't expect to get Ninja 5 the first time you reach this level - come back to it once you have unlocked skills like Feet and Lurk (unlocks with 1000 Stealth Kills). These make it so much easier.
  • Strangle hold your opponents instead of stabbing. Hold them until you get the heartbeat, then stab them for a TSK - the extra points will help - you can get away with fewer kills, or even get Ninja 5 if you alert the guards.
  • Know where Echigoya is, and will be - you can run ahead and get kills, particularly the Tomikichi and the one near him, as long as you know where Echigoya will be to reset your timer.

Kaens has some good tips, so read his post a few above, though I changed the order a little bit.

• The first guy is the same - drop as he turns, drag to one side, then kill him.
  • Sheath your sword, then run after the civilian he was talking to - he will be at the end of the alley, and about to turn. Knock him out so you don't lose points.
  • The next enemy will be walking in front of you. Take a long path behind him, going close enough to Echogoya to reset the timer, then strangle TSK this guy.
  • Now run diagonally towards where Echigoya is - there is a raised area with small bushes - climb up, crouch instantly to avoid detection, and sheath your sword. Wait for Echigoya to turn, then drop down and strangle TSK the archer.
  • Follow Echigoya up the ramp, crouching to avoid being spotted. Stay to the left side, and near the top the timer will reset. As soon as that happens you are safe to jump up the wall, onto the roof, and ready to drop on the next guy below.
  • Once he is down move quickly - jump onto the roof in front of you to reset the timer, and drop down to kill the enemy while his back is turned. Run to the corner to head towards the Tomikichi and the timer should reset. Sheath your sword.
  • Run behind the Tomikichi and TSK him, collect what he drops (not needed), then turn to look at the other enemy. When he has his back to you, move towards him. The timer runs low, but Echigoya will be running from the two previous dead bodies, and resets your timer. Kill the guy, then run back behind the fence where Echi is waiting.
  • If you like to stay ahead of him, you can now run straight for the last enemy. Timed right he has his back to you, open for a TSK, and gives you just enough to run back to the street where Echi is running from the other dead bodies to reset your timer.
  • Now simply hop onto rooftops, keep out of sight, and you are home and dry.

I've just completed Hard Ninja 5, no items used, undetected, and with a nice 800 point bonus for all Total SK :D Brilliant!!

• 1 month later...

All excited I got it the first try on my hard run …YEAH

But it was just a click from the start I grabbed the first 3 guys with special kills then the rest were quick and dirty stabs

The funny thing is that at the very end when he pauses and turn towards the village one more time I went to jump on the beam above his head, well my 2 year old daughter wanted to give me a hug at that same moment and made my jump a little short and I landed right in front of him but since he was already I a turn motion I hit his blind spot…talk about close!

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

For those who are to noob to figure it out by themselves, here's the youtube vid of a guy doing mission 16 ninja 5, it's by far the best way to do it and if you follow him and know how to play it's a piece of cake

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioU-g8Y2GMs&feature=related]YouTube - Best Tenchu Z "Pursuit of Echigoya" Walkthrough[/ame]

I haven't played this game in awhile, but does doing it on hard mean more enemies/does he take a different route or no? Sorry for the silly question :p

No the difficulty does not change his route or increase the number of enemies. All it does is increase the strength of the enemies when your fighting them, it also increases there senses. Good question though and it troubles quite a lot of people.

• 6 months later...