Good Teamwork

CalacaDeMuerto

Is anyone else unfortunate like me, where you're going to have to try to co-op the game by yourself with two controllers? :(

I'm really happy the game got XBLA'ed and upgraded, but that one achievement (and the fact that it has to be local) kind of aggravates me.

That might not actually be too bad. I was playing with a friend earlier who kept ducking out to answer his phone. While he wasn't there, I'd pick him up and carry him around, treating him like I would treat a damsel, except without having to worry about her wandering off.

Several times, I died, and picked up his controller to continue. My ghost would then be used to set off traps, which was useful in the mines and temple.

That might not actually be too bad. I was playing with a friend earlier who kept ducking out to answer his phone. While he wasn't there, I'd pick him up and carry him around, treating him like I would treat a damsel, except without having to worry about her wandering off.

Several times, I died, and picked up his controller to continue. My ghost would then be used to set off traps, which was useful in the mines and temple.

Once the other player dies is there any way to bring them back to life?

I think it will be pretty simple. I've managed to get halfway through the Ice Caves by myself. You can have the second player pick up items, and you can still pick the player up. If you get to low health (1 or so hearts), you can just let yourself die when you get to the end of a level, then use the second player to proceed and open the coffin on the next level. You respawn with 4 hearts, but no bombs or rope. When you die you can have the second player pick up a bag of all your bombs and ropes.

This achievement is easier than just completing the game from start to finish solo, in my opinion.

copypasta from my guide on trueachievements:

NOT A SOLUTION - GENERAL STRATEGY

* Work together! I don't just mean that in the general sense, either! Throw your friends somewhere they couldn't get to alone, carry things for each other, distract enemies while someone else kills them, carry your friends around while they go use the toilet!

* Sacrifice your friends! Shrines to Kali aren't picky about their blood rites, toss your friend up on that shrine if you're short a damsel!

* If you die, don't give up! You can revive each other through the use of coffins located throughout the levels randomly, appearing starting only when a player is dead and in ghost-form.

* Ghosts aren't useless! By pressing X, or your whip button, a ghost can shoot out a puff of air, which is not as harmless as it might sound! Puff loot off of high ledges, stun enemies, stun your friends, push back ghosts, set of traps, or even knock an enemy into your coffin to set yourself free! They can even help light the way in darker levels!

PLEASE NOTE YOU DO NOT HAVE INFINITE LIVES.

At one point, your coffins will stop reviving your friends and instead spawn one of the helper-slaves you can purchase from the shopkeeper.

Personally I've made a lot of progress having second player dead the entire game, using the ghost to light the way, set off traps/enemies, push objects off ledges for me, etc. , saving revives for late in the Temple. It's worth noting ghost-breath can push back the YOU'RETAKINGTOOLONG-ghost slightly and knock the wings off scorpion-flies.

IF YOU'RE GOING IT SOLO, BE AWARE YOU CAN PICK UP YOUR FRIEND AND CARRY THEM WITH YOU!

Your normal set of 4 bombs and 4 rope is split between the characters playing, as well, so make sure to recover their equipment when/if you kill them!

Playing with 2 controllers is so much easier, I got the Kapala on level 1-2 and by the time I was at 4-4 I had 14 health, would have completed the game had my baby not started crying, and I didn't pause the game and that bloody ghost got me! Oh well at least I know a much easier way now :)

Yea, you can get lots of health thanks to sacrificing partners, damsels and getting the Kapala. I ended up with 14 health and my partner with 4 health when I unlocked this achievement. Sadly some Fire Frog blew up next to a shop by getting hit by a Tiki Trap in the Black Market, so the Shopkeepers were chasing me around. But it was still a successful run. :3

There is also opportunities where you are lucky to find a Jetpack inside the environments thanks to the Udjat Eye, so use sticky bombs to bring it out of there. One example is the Alien Lord hiding behind some Forcefield laser traps in the Ice Caves area, because there will be occasions where either the monster or the walls will drop a Jetpack for you as well. ^u^b

Also I dunno if it has been mentioned before, but if your partner carries a key (for the chest with the Udjat Eye inside), a Damsel, a weapon or anything else you feel it's important, you can then carry your partner with you and it will hold the item or person, which is very useful to reach your goal quicker and not having them wait at a high area too long. But if you want your main account to have the extra health at the goal, the partner has to drop the Damsel, then you pick them up and you go to the next level from there. Very useful.

Against Olmec, for safety reasons, I decided that instead of doing the speed run technique of beating him, I used bombs to blow a path down to the lava, then lure him down and he kills himself with a drop. That way both you and your partner will stay alive. ^^;

Edited by VixyNyan

Yea, you can get lots of health thanks to sacrificing partners, damsels and getting the Kapala.

Getting the Kapala practically guarantees a successful run for me usually, assuming my luck holds out. I once had a run where I got the kapala very early on, and three of my four jungles spawned a beehive. With my jetpack and shotgun, I ended up with near 40 or so health! Damn shame you get reset to 4 when activating the Ankh. P:

There is also opportunities where you are lucky to find a Jetpack inside the environments thanks to the Udjat Eye

While the eye CAN reveal some objects, it's the spectacles you really want if you're going item-hunting, unless they changed how the eye works for the console version when I wasn't looking?

And that jetpack behind the Alien Lord? That's always there. (at least, in the PC version.)

Against Olmec, for safety reasons, I decided that instead of doing the speed run technique of beating him, I used bombs to blow a path down to the lava, then lure him down and he kills himself with a drop. That way both you and your partner will stay alive. ^^;

Personally, I found it a lot simpler to use the speed-run method, the small gap, just whilst carrying my partner. To be fair, this did result in my death each of the four times I attempted it, but that was 100% personal error or bullshit glitches, not any flaw with the method.

Until an update potentially fixes most of the game's hilariously terrible death-inducing bugs, it's definitely the smart move to play as cautiously as possible.

While the eye CAN reveal some objects, it's the spectacles you really want if you're going item-hunting, unless they changed how the eye works for the console version when I wasn't looking?

And that jetpack behind the Alien Lord? That's always there. (at least, in the PC version.)

I've also heard that on PC, the glasses revealed everything while the Udjat only showed jewels, but the Udjat now shows items too. Not sure if there's any difference between them (like maybe the glasses show MORE items?) because I always get the Udjat and ignore glasses.

I've also heard that on PC, the glasses revealed everything while the Udjat only showed jewels, but the Udjat now shows items too. Not sure if there's any difference between them (like maybe the glasses show MORE items?) because I always get the Udjat and ignore glasses.

See, I'm thinking the glasses show MORE items. I've noticed the pickaxe in the snake pit and the shotgun under the tombstone with just the eye, but if my memory isn't screwing with me here, it didn't reveal the jetpack behind the alien lord, and i do believe on one occasion I acquired glasses whilst already having the eye and noticed a cape in the floor that wasn't showing up previously.

I do want to note however that my memory is notoriously shitty so I could just be making it up? This is gonna take some study, I think.

Maybe it's simply that the Eye shows you jewels and items that are always there, while glasses also show you randomized items in the wall. Then again, I don't remember ever carrying the Eye, blowing up a wall and being surprised that an item fell out.

Maybe it's simply that the Eye shows you jewels and items that are always there, while glasses also show you randomized items in the wall. Then again, I don't remember ever carrying the Eye, blowing up a wall and being surprised that an item fell out.

Hmm... could be! I guess it's relatively easy to test this: whenever you see a "random" item in a wall, check whether you're missing the glasses. If you are, that will prove the Eye reveals all items. If nobody sees this happen, across many games, it will be strong evidence that it doesn't.

Sounds like a few people are playing multiplayer so I'll post my question here:

Can you unlock new characters in 2player?

I play this game with my daughter and we have a good time but I don't intend to play it without her, would be nice to unlock some new guys though. From what I hear from a friend you get shortcuts in single player so Iwouldn't be surprised if other stuff was missing from MP.

Sounds like a few people are playing multiplayer so I'll post my question here:

Can you unlock new characters in 2player?

I play this game with my daughter and we have a good time but I don't intend to play it without her, would be nice to unlock some new guys though. From what I hear from a friend you get shortcuts in single player so Iwouldn't be surprised if other stuff was missing from MP.

I don't believe you get anything other than insanity on deathmatch, the only way to unlock new characters is to whip coffins in adventure mode except for super meat boy in the worm level and the 2 guys you get for completing it both different ways

Well we got to a secret level called Haunted Castle and found a coffin in there and it just had one of those crappy bald nude "helper" guys. I thought that level was supposed to have a secret character in it?

Edited by I CR0W I
spoiler tags don't work

Well we got to a secret level called Haunted Castle and found a coffin in there and it just had one of those crappy bald nude "helper" guys. I thought that level was supposed to have a secret character in it?

You can't unlock new characters in co-op, the coffins are only for resurrecting team mates, if you have died too many times then there is a chance you will get an unhelpful cpu loon

You can't unlock new characters in co-op, the coffins are only for resurrecting team mates, if you have died too many times then there is a chance you will get an unhelpful cpu loon

No, the castle level isn't randomly generated, or if it is it is guaranteed to have a coffin, knight and rooftop at the top. Because we were both very much alive and the game had to generate a coffin it decided to spawn the helper as unlcoknig characters isn't available in multi.