Don't know if you can do this but...

Hey guys, im gonna start by posting a picture...

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9260/stargates.jpg

it's 3 layers thick with water source on the top of the middle layer, with water running down giving the effect, but its there all the time

what im wanting is to have a switch that can stop the water flowing or start it again with traps.

i dont know if it can be done. i tried having a mess around with trap doors but they didnt work at all. im wanting the switch on the floor next to the gate.

any ideas would be awesome

my gt is Rambaldi 666 if you wanna msg me thanks :)

Just making the gate alone with the water would be pretty cool in its own right, i am not to sure how to do the switch bit however. What was happening when you tried it with trap doors?

water just stayed on the block above the traps. might have a go at using pistons when they arrive :confused::confused::confused:

and thanks guys but i cant take all credit. i wanted to build one so found a vid on youtube by gamersgonnaplay. although his was done on pc with mods or whatever mine is all natural & im damn proud of it :)

water just stayed on the block above the traps. might have a go at using pistons when they arrive :confused::confused::confused:

and thanks guys but i cant take all credit. i wanted to build one so found a vid on youtube by gamersgonnaplay. although his was done on pc with mods or whatever mine is all natural & im damn proud of it :)

it will, pistons can let water through but things like trap doors, signs and ladders will not since even when they are open they are still considered a block in the way of the waters path.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys just an update on my gate, i been messing around with one on the pc version so i dont go wrecking my xbox one without knowing what im doing, anyway, i used sticky pistons and got a lever that turns the water on and off, which i think looks kinda cool when its turning on :D...

anyhoo, is there a way to have the redstone circuit longer? the pistons are at the top of the gate and at the minute i have to use a switch also at the top cos it dont activate redstone after a certain distance.

ive had a mess around with the repeaters but to no avail :(

another issue i have is hiding the ramp and redstone, or at least making it not as obvious.

fun times. Thanks for any help / hints / ideas etc

a repeater will extend the circuit for another 15 blocks each

depending how big your gate is though there may be more efficient ways to do

the gate's 17 x 17 x 5, with water running across 13 blocks. i got the switch at ground level working but you say there may be a more efficient way?

the gate's 17 x 17 x 5, with water running across 13 blocks. i got the switch at ground level working but you say there may be a more efficient way?

well if your going up a long way you can use a tower of redstone torches to pass the signal up, that way you dont need long steps of whatever material for the redstone to run up

just go up going redstone torch, block torch block torch block and the torches will turn each other on off on off on off, then you can feed the signal from the top one to the top pistons

... easier to show a screenshot, this is a giant gate from my PC world

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8449/20120814004112.png

i have the wireing and repeaters for timing at the bottom of the gate to the pistons and to the torches there, then the torches pass the signal to the top to the pistons up there

you could easily have that at one side on the long parts and wire n the stepped parts that way everything stays hidden

keep all the repeaters for timing under ground and just pass the signals from it to the pistons rather than try to time it near them, the hardest part will be hiding the pistons themselves

Edited by RDrules

thanks RDrules.

I got some pistons stopping the water flow and used the redstone torches as you have shown which has took up much less room. although the back of the gate looks a bit of a mess, the front doesnt look to bad :)

now i gotta incorporate it onto my xbox gate. ugh. fun times

Thanks guys :) it took a while messing around trying to get pistons in the right place, having water source in the right place so it doesn't flow down the side of the gate. biggest challenge was hiding the redstone circuit. but i didn't realise you could use torches like that. I'm pretty chuffed with it :) :)

After I've finished my castle I'm thinking of building a 'super' gate. . .

Thanks guys :) it took a while messing around trying to get pistons in the right place, having water source in the right place so it doesn't flow down the side of the gate. biggest challenge was hiding the redstone circuit. but i didn't realise you could use torches like that. I'm pretty chuffed with it :) :)

After I've finished my castle I'm thinking of building a 'super' gate. . .

The only downside to your Stargate design... is if you'd put a Nether Portal in the "middle", the water would likely always kill it, when it falls down... or, it'd simply spill out all over the floor. How you got it all nice and tidy, and flowing ~perfectly~ every time... you've got some mastery over liquid physics.

I should point out one annoying trouble with the way you have your Redstone Torch power circuit... it's likely to burn out, without warning... so be careful when saving your game, after you've played with it. Yes, even simple Vertical Torch Diodes can "burnout" (I should know, because I've made these VTDs in my sandbox, and it shorted out in "Online Mode" after only a handful of uses). Just figured I'd save you a LOT of time, wondering "What happened!?" by letting you know, in advance, what happened.

Thankfully, it IS a simple enough fix... just don't save after it fails on you. Exit your map, and Minecraft (to the Dashboard) and then resume playing Minecraft. It's pretty random, when it'll happen. And if you find it's still borked, you can just replace the Torches, after following the reset.

When they fix this, I'm going to be jumping for joy, because it is (in MY opinion) the most efficient method of sending a one-way power pulse up from Bedrock, to the surface, for Piston devices and T-Flip Flops.

Edited by Terra Branford

How do you have a button for turning on and turning off? I keep seeing people use them but all mine does is turn on for so long then turn off :/

You would need to build a flip-flop or a latch circuit. Press the button once, the latch turns on, press again to turn it off. I'm not really keen on how to build them but the wiki and youtube are great.