Shutdown Servers (Xbox 360/Xbox One/WP/W8/GFWL)

THE DEADLY DOG

Sorry for busting in mid conversation, but what? Keeping servers up requires maintenance, there's bandwidth cost, not to mention physical floor space and related costs (cooling). A single server might not seem like much to a multi-billion dollar corporation, but when they've shut down dozens of servers, like EA, it keeps a lot of money in their pockets. The cost to actually shut them down can't be much more than what they pay hourly to the intern that walks down the hall to pull the power.

Thanks for the reinforcement on that. It was such an absurd assertion that I didn't even feel it merited addressing; just laughing at.

Power isn't free, either. Our Xserve racks at the office cost a good $70 a month to run if our meter is to be believed. That isn't much to a corporation, sure, but come time to trim the fat, old servers will always always always be shut off if they're not contributing in some way.

We're not buttcoin miners. If my boss came to the conclusion that a machine in service was costing more than it was generating, either directly or indirectly, it's plug gets pulled.

Fracture's servers being up has merely been goodwill on the part of LucasArts and Day 1 Studios/Wargaming.net, considering that no new units have been moved for a solid couple of years and the game was released in, what, 2008? 5 years is a good run and our expectations shouldn't be too high unless someone is willing to organize for 3rd parties to host orphaned games as I've said all along.

For mj to come in here and say "you've got nothing to worry about" when there's something to worry about is a douche move.

The same, I'll be boosting this game until it's gone. Just got my 1000G on it today on my account, have a silver queued up to help on another box if someone needs to wrap up today/tomorrow.

Errm I don't know if it has already been mentioned but I am pretty sure that Turning point: fall of liberty has no servers any more or at least for a long time anyways. Sorry if it seems an 'old' game but I just thought that I would share what I know although I think that you might have to do a little checking but I am pretty sure.

Errm I don't know if it has already been mentioned but I am pretty sure that Turning point: fall of liberty has no servers any more or at least for a long time anyways. Sorry if it seems an 'old' game but I just thought that I would share what I know although I think that you might have to do a little checking but I am pretty sure.

Do you have the game and have tried to log into the servers unsuccessfully?

You're saying that it's definitely not on the chopping block. I'm saying back it up. Otherwise you can shut the fuck up.
1. Every game is ALWAYS on the chopping block. How many games have closed out of nowhere with no notification or real reason?

2. I did back it up by giving examples of multiples studios that have gone under and maintained servers which was a direct counter to you saying that just because the studio was gone that so would the server.

3. I did back it up with several examples to your one, so I don't see why I need to "shut the fuck up".

The cost to actually shut them down can't be much more than what they pay hourly to the intern that walks down the hall to pull the power.
Whatever cartoon image you have in your head of a guy strolling into a room with a bunch of monitors and flashing lights with a giant red button labeled "SERVER SHUTDOWN" isn't entirely accurate.

Things like this need to go through dozens of people for approval among a few other things.

For mj to come in here and say "you've got nothing to worry about" when there's something to worry about is a douche move.
Sure, calling me offensive names doesn't seem like a unrational reaction to telling people to not be stressed over a video game server going down with only pure speculation that's easily countered by several examples of servers not going down under the same if not worse sircumstances.

Not sure why you feel threatened by me and have to continuously attack me.

Can someone check the MX vs ATV games?

People at the sister site are reporting Reflex is down.

Whatever cartoon image you have in your head of a guy strolling into a room with a bunch of monitors and flashing lights with a giant red button labeled "SERVER SHUTDOWN" isn't entirely accurate.

Things like this need to go through dozens of people for approval among a few other things.

I've been to a handful of data centers, I'm quite well aware of the lack of a big red button.

A decision to take a server down is just as much of a decision to keep it up, there's no real reason to factor that in as a cost. Companies like EA would likely have set up fairly streamlined for deciding when to shut down servers, they frequently comment on a certain active user population being the main reason.

Besides if it really costs more to keep servers up than to take them down like you claim, then why the hell does EA, 2K, Microsoft, etc shut down their servers? These companies have a goal of making money, and they shut down older servers to do so.

Thanks for the reinforcement on that. It was such an absurd assertion that I didn't even feel it merited addressing; just laughing at.

Power isn't free, either.

No problem. Can't believe that I remembered the cost of power for cooling but forgot power required to run the servers. :(

Edited by kaleido42

A decision to take a server down is just as much of a decision to keep it up, there's no real reason to factor that in as a cost. Companies like EA would likely have set up fairly streamlined for deciding when to shut down servers, they frequently comment on a certain active user population being the main reason.

Besides if it really costs more to keep servers up than to take them down like you claim, then why the hell does EA, 2K, Microsoft, etc shut down their servers? These companies have a goal of making money, and they shut down older servers to do so.

You guys are thinking of this way too small.

Yes a dollar you save today is a dollar you have tomorrow but you saving a dollar doesn't impact thousands to millions of consumers.

When you close a server that negatively impacts the brand and companies involved with the game.

If you close one Halo server then nothing is stopping you from closing more Halo servers which is why the announcement about Halo Wars going down had such severe backlash and ended up staying.

Companies like EA can afford to close servers because the people that get mad at a yearly sports franchise server closing is heavily outweighed by those that will buy the new version every year.

EA actually closes servers as a way to force people to buy the new version.

Same reason 2K does it.

Same reason with Sega and Phantasy Star Universe so they can sell PSO2.

MS is actually surprisingly good at keeping servers up. Not sure why you mentioned them.

You guys are thinking of this way too small.

Yes a dollar you save today is a dollar you have tomorrow

Any cost associated with a shut down is a one time cost. The cost of keeping servers running is continuous. Shutting down a server isn't just about the money their saving that day, it's the enormous amount of future savings.

Companies like EA can afford to close servers because the people that get mad at a yearly sports franchise server closing is heavily outweighed by those that will buy the new version every year.

EA actually closes servers as a way to force people to buy the new version.

Same reason 2K does it.

Same reason with Sega and Phantasy Star Universe so they can sell PSO2.

EA has shut down servers long past the point that it would affect sales of newer games (Burnout Revenge) and also on games without sequels (LoTR: Conquest). Running a business efficiently doesn't just require pushing for high revenue, it also requires reducing your monthly expenses (AKA: servers).

MS is actually surprisingly good at keeping servers up. Not sure why you mentioned them.

They ceased complete support for the original xbox. A more current example would be the Halo 2 PC shut down coming in June. And just recently we saw the shutdown of the Forza 2 auction house. Not saying they're as bad as some of the other publishers, but they've got some of the most recent and surprising examples.

Excited?

I figure most people have mini-heart attacks.

More games that need to be checked:

WWE All Stars

UFC 3, everything but player matches

50 Cent BotS?

Ahh that's right. I knew I was missing something between the giddieness of a new email and the shock and horror of another game I possibly can not complete.

Just read on a TA feed that SKATE 3 upload and rate website side of things is due to be taken down on April 29th.

Looking into it, but can't find anything yet. Maybe because it's not server related. Though if it does close, it'll mean a few achievements will be unobtainable unless it can still be done via the game... Not sure what's linked to what.

Excited?

I figure most people have mini-heart attacks.

More games that need to be checked:

WWE All Stars

UFC 3, everything but player matches

50 Cent BotS?

I've been playing 50 Cent BotS online up untill a week or so ago without a problem. I'll check it again and get back to you.

Just added Star Wars: Battle for Hoth today, found it in my search for threads that need to be stickied.

Game has been gone for a while with no achievements linked to any servers/multiplayer although the 12 achievements linked to the game itself cannot be earned unless the game was once in your download list.

When you report back can you state if it's the international or Japanese version?

Was able to test it out tonight, working fine, my brother was able to join and play in my game no problem.

I only have the international version of the game though, so cannot speak for the Japanese version. (I would be interested to find out about the Jap. version because i have been thinking about getting it for the stackable G's)

Cheers,

Matt

C:

-Chromehounds

-Colin McRae: DiRT 2 DiRT net is down.

-Colin McRae: DiRT 2 (PC) DiRT net is down.

DiRT 2 & DiRT 3 are on sale right now through Steam. I'm downloading them atm; however, for DiRT 2, people are saying that they still play online... I'll be able to verify that once I'm finished downloading though.

Just wanted to give a heads up in case DiRT 2 (PC) still does have online servers/achievements.

DiRT 2 & DiRT 3 are on sale right now through Steam. I'm downloading them atm; however, for DiRT 2, people are saying that they still play online... I'll be able to verify that once I'm finished downloading though.

Just wanted to give a heads up in case DiRT 2 (PC) still does have online servers/achievements.

Yes but what about Dirt.net? I think it's different than that of the online servers for DiRT

You're right - Dirt.net is down. I saw the 'red' lettering for the game which means no more online achievements. Figured if there is still online play then the achievements should still work; however, Dirt.net was what kept the tournaments (from what I read so far) so the achievements are affected :(

I still wonder if the non-tourney online achievements will pop though, but they seem a bit lengthy. I'll update you if there's any luck on some online achievements popping when I can...

Sorry about that!

You're right - Dirt.net is down. I saw the 'red' lettering for the game which means no more online achievements. Figured if there is still online play then the achievements should still work; however, Dirt.net was what kept the tournaments (from what I read so far) so the achievements are affected :(

I still wonder if the non-tourney online achievements will pop though, but they seem a bit lengthy. I'll update you if there's any luck on some online achievements popping when I can...

Sorry about that!

No need to be sorry man. The only way this list stays current and relevant is if people play games and check games. Cheers to you for hitting that up--would have been nice to be able to take those two down off of the list.

Thanks for creating this thread. Been looking for something like this.

Apart from the worst offenders EA who give a bit of notice on their server shutdown page, do the other developers/publishers normally let you know in advance? (and with sufficient time to buy the game and complete the achievements?)

I always seem to find out randomly for non EA games that are shutting down and miss out half the time.

Thanks for creating this thread. Been looking for something like this.

Apart from the worst offenders EA who give a bit of notice on their server shutdown page, do the other developers/publishers normally let you know in advance? (and with sufficient time to buy the game and complete the achievements?)

I always seem to find out randomly for non EA games that are shutting down and miss out half the time.

I would say yes most devs give some fair warning before they 'cut the cord' so to speak.