Ending Discussion Thread - All other threads will be deleted!

The Pants Party

How do you feel about the ending?  

471 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the ending?

• I love it.
    • I like it as-is.
    • I like the indoctrination theory.
    • I like it, but the lack of closure bothers me.
    • I dislike it, but I may like it with some elaboration and clarification.
    • I dislike it, and hope they make a new ending.
    • I dislike it, and believe the indoctrination theory.
    • I hate it.

I actually enjoy the extended cut. But one thing is bugging the shit out of me.

Doesn't it state in the codex that when a mass relay explodes that it takes out the nearest planet?

Yes it does. We've all seen that in Mass Effect 2's Arrival DLC. Shepard blew one up and killed 300,000 batarians. (No real loss in my opinion. :p) That was a major plot hole in the original ending cutscenes. So now you'll notice that they don't blow up. the outer ring is just destroyed. They then say that they are only damaged and can be easily repaired. Nice correction on this issue Bioware.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't get is that the Normandy clearly crash landed on the jungle planet but then after the memorial scene, it takes off again. Nice retcon guys.

Didn't for me. Normandy clearly got damaged by the beam (Destroy Ending) and does not take off after the memorial.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_EFQixth1c]Mass Effect 3-Extended Cut-Destroy Ending (Bad) - YouTube[/ame]

What I don't get is that the Normandy clearly crash landed on the jungle planet but then after the memorial scene, it takes off again. Nice retcon guys.

An unknown amount of time passed between the crash and the take off. They had plenty of time to do repairs if you don't assume it was immediate. The Normandy crash lands on the Collector Base in ME2 but then takes off after some repairs.

Didn't for me. Normandy clearly got damaged by the beam (Destroy Ending) and does not take off after the memorial.

I chose Destroy and the Normandy took off like he said. I had a high EMS though, idk if that's the deciding factor.

I chose Destroy and the Normandy took off like he said. I had a high EMS though, idk if that's the deciding factor.

That's most likely the cause. My EMS was low for those endings (I loaded up from London on my very first playthrough where I hadn't bothered getting a high EMS), also explains why my Shepard died.

I just finished my first play through. I made a point of avoiding the original endings on youtube etc, so that I could experience them as they were first intended.

They were crap. Why? Because the chick I worked so hard to romance through all three games ended up stranded with Joker! WTF?!

I know the originals endings are all open to interpretation, but it still pisses me off. :)

EMS is definitely the factor. mine was fairly high and it was the destruction ending.

My problem isn't so much with the possibility of them fixing the Normandy and taking off again as much as it just seemed kind of ambiguous that they show this crash land scene, the exit from the ship onto the new planet, then a memorial and they leave again. I just didn't see much point in them adding the departure, not that i got the point of Joker leaving the battle and getting tossed out of slipspace onto the planet to begin with. The take off just made the weird weirder.

EMS is definitely the factor. mine was fairly high and it was the destruction ending.

My problem isn't so much with the possibility of them fixing the Normandy and taking off again as much as it just seemed kind of ambiguous that they show this crash land scene, the exit from the ship onto the new planet, then a memorial and they leave again. I just didn't see much point in them adding the departure, not that i got the point of Joker leaving the battle and getting tossed out of slipspace onto the planet to begin with. The take off just made the weird weirder.

This just means that if you try to hide your bullshit ending with flashy scenes then people will like it more. Even if it STILL does not make any sense.

Well I've just gone through the endings again since the update. I have to say, I enjoy them. They are not completely perfect and there are some flaws in them to be sure, but I am ok with them. They aren't major enough to really effect it to the level of annoyance I had for the originals.

The Control ending was pretty awesome. Really liked the way it is explained and LOVED the Shepard Epilogue.

The Synthesis ending is clearly the intended ending. Shepard sacrificing himself and saving everything by doing so is the feel good kind of ending of the bunch for the paragon in me. Finally seeing the Quarian's (I'm guessing Tali's?) face is sweet. EDI's Epilogue is great as well.

The Destroy ending was decent but likely my least favourite of the bunch. Maybe it was just that Hackett gave the epilogue. Garrus would have been a better choice or Liara would have been good too. Apparently this destroy choice didn't kill the Geth. That's good since I managed to join them up with the Quarians but I found it a little odd since it should have killed them.

The Catylist ending is pretty good too. It's sad that the Reapers initially win but I liked the Woman and the child at the end explaining that Liara's message would be the key to destroying the reapers in the next cycle. Plus it was pretty satisfying to shoot the little bastard in the face.

Through all 3 endings the addition of the fleet getting called back and the Normandy obeying satisfied my greatest issue with the Normandy abandoning Shepard mid-battle. The Wall of the dead scene was excellent in all 3, though I think destroy one was better just because Liara gave the little smile at the end.. It would have been cool if Liara (or Ashley if she was your girl) had been pregnant in that scene though. I also liked that they changed the Mass Relay scenes as well so that they were just damaged, not destroyed.

snip

Synthesis goes against everything in mass effect and you are forcing every living being to be changed...

"we might as well be machines"

Also, that's not Tali and the geth do die if you choose Destroy. They were simply too lazy to show that.

And the major problem that is still not fixed is that these endings DON'T FIT MASS EFFECT.

The Destroy ending was decent but likely my least favourite of the bunch. Maybe it was just that Hackett gave the epilogue. Garrus would have been a better choice or Liara would have been good too. Apparently this destroy choice didn't kill the Geth. That's good since I managed to join them up with the Quarians but I found it a little odd since it should have killed them.

What gave you this impression? I chose Destroy and there were no Geth to be seen, so I assumed they were destroyed :S

You should all stop liking the Indoctrination Theory idea for those who voted it. Because in the end Bioware makes the games, and obviously doesn't want into exist, so stop connecting unrelated events etc, to create your own ideas. End of now.

If anyone couldn't tell already, this horrible attempt at trolling is courtesy of our old friend Altfoot85's new account.

My view on the ending was "better than it was, but could still be better". While I feel they've made MASSIVE improvements... well, that wasn't that hard, was it? The original ending had more holes than a holey thing. Things like "I was fighting alongside you but without transporters I'm back on Normandy". It's better... but could still have a little more work.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I'm quite annoyed on the endings to Mass Effect 3.

I don't want Shepard to die. I want him to kill the Reapers, save everyone, every species, to live and carry on the romance with Liara (my romance choice).

The NEW endings, I feel abit more satisfied with.

The Control ending I liked. The Synthesis ending is the intended ending for the game. The Destroy ending, I didn't like.

But.

I've been reading around forums, and I've stumbled across this 'The Truth' DLC rumored.

People are saying that when Shepard gets blasted by Harb, he's unconscious, get's knocked out and starts dreaming and from there on where you get up with a pistol, stumble across and get beamed to the Crucible... is all a dream.

Now this only seems like a possibility ONLY if you choose the Destroy ending in the "dream" because at the end of the Destroy ending, you see Shepard (with his DogTag dangling down) take a deep breathe.

This could be Shepard becoming conscious on the street, on Earth, where he got blasted by Harb.

If this is the case then I am totally pleased that you (Shepard) do survive as I don't want the story to end personally. Though, what I then really want to know is what actually happened whilst you were knocked out and buried in rubble? Who died? Is my romance character (Liara) still alive? Pregnant? Are my squadmates all alive and helping rebuild or is everything destroyed?

I know that they could start something completely new with Mass Effect Universe. There's so much they could create using that Universe.

I just wanted what I think everyone wanted. Shepard stopping the Reapers, surviving, everyone you know (Squad) are alive, and everyone starts rebuilding.

I'm hoping 'The Truth' DLC and what I've read and stated above is true. I'd personally love that.

I expect there to be more DLC (with Achievements) anyway seeming as Mass Effect 1 & 2 got a couple and they both boosted the Gamerscore on both by a couple of hundred.

I'm going through it on Insanity (as I've been finishing off other titles) and then I shall start the 'From Ashes' DLC, which looks quite intriguing.

I've been reading around forums, and I've stumbled across this 'The Truth' DLC rumored.

People are saying that when Shepard gets blasted by Harb, he's unconscious, get's knocked out and starts dreaming and from there on where you get up with a pistol, stumble across and get beamed to the Crucible... is all a dream.

Now this only seems like a possibility ONLY if you choose the Destroy ending in the "dream" because at the end of the Destroy ending, you see Shepard (with his DogTag dangling down) take a deep breathe.

This could be Shepard becoming conscious on the street, on Earth, where he got blasted by Harb.

If this is the case then I am totally pleased that you (Shepard) do survive as I don't want the story to end personally. Though, what I then really want to know is what actually happened whilst you were knocked out and buried in rubble? Who died? Is my romance character (Liara) still alive? Pregnant? Are my squadmates all alive and helping rebuild or is everything destroyed?

I know that they could start something completely new with Mass Effect Universe. There's so much they could create using that Universe.

I just wanted what I think everyone wanted. Shepard stopping the Reapers, surviving, everyone you know (Squad) are alive, and everyone starts rebuilding.

I'm hoping 'The Truth' DLC and what I've read and stated above is true. I'd personally love that.

I expect there to be more DLC (with Achievements) anyway seeming as Mass Effect 1 & 2 got a couple and they both boosted the Gamerscore on both by a couple of hundred.

I'm going through it on Insanity (as I've been finishing off other titles) and then I shall start the 'From Ashes' DLC, which looks quite intriguing.

What you are talking about is the indoctrination theory. It is not upcoming dlc but a theory that many fans had to explain away the ending. The EC dlc blew the theory out of the water by having scenes after the chosen ending explaining what happens afterwards. For the indotrination theory to be viable it would mean Bioware added those scenes for nothing since they are just part of a dream. Point is, sorry not happening.

If what you mean is that you face only one decision, then what exactly do you expect? That based on decisions made in the last 3 years, the Crucible, a device that's been worked on for millions of years, functions differently? That the Reapers, which are even older, have a different purpose? How can that have changed in the last 3 years? Something millions of years in the past can't be completely different based on recent events. That'd be like saying that if I was nicer to strangers, Abraham Lincoln wasn't assassinated.

You can't realistically have multiple resolutions and still have it make any sort of sense. I DO think that they should have changed how you interact with and respond to the Catalyst based on the game, though. It's weird as hell that you can't even mention it if you brokered peace between the Geth and the Quarian. But you can't change the basic scenario, because there's no reason it would be different just because of recent events.

I'm bringing up an old topic here, I know, but this post of Bahroo's made me think back to it:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6zzy9uWhz1rag2eao1_r1_1280.jpg

Kaiden is gay or straight depending on Commander Shepard's gender or whether male Shep romances him or not. Makes perfect sense to me, but it clearly contradicts Ethereal's single-objective-reality theory.