Dead Space , Come on everyone be honest :D

lxl Horizon

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree that both RE4 and RE5 weren't as scary or made me tense then their predecesors. I found Dead Space made me more tense than RE5. My first play though was on easy, and having seen my friends play it I wasn't too scared... however I did jump at the sound of the woman screaming as you go down the elevator to repair the ADS system!:eek:

Unfortunately, with working at Gamestop, I've had several customers ruin the ending to games for me, Dead Space included, so I knew about the Nicole/necromorph:confused: hallucination. I did like how each chapter spelled out NICOLE IS DEAD....hope the sequel has more hidden clues? By the way, has anyone bothered to decypher the alien language on the walls? Anything important?

Right now I'm playing it on Impossible, andhave to admit it is much more intense now that I have to really control how I use up ammo or credits. Several times I have barricaded Issac into a corner because the music gave me the impression that there were more necromorphs roaming near by.:uzi:

I was never actually scared, but the atmosphere of the whole game kept me kinda nervous and tense. I generally played most of it at night w/ the lights off and I had quite a few "jumps". My gf refuses to play it but she really liked watching, although she was "jumping" constantly and let out a few yelps during a few spots, pretty entertaining lol.

Why are you trying to act like a though guy? It's not working. non-scary game is non-scary.

Saying that I was scared by a game that I always thought was scary, while you weren't scared by it at all, makes me look like I'm acting like a tough guy?

Wow, thanks, I guess I'm a natural.

no you misunderstood, he didn't say you were acting like a tough guy, but you should quit acting like a though guy.

Understand, true, but- I would need to have been initially acting like a tough guy in order to quit acting like a though guy, no?

Edited by Phenoviral

the first 4 hours of this were extremely intense for me.

i was breathing quick, palms sweating, and jumping at everything.

finally more room mate got home and slammed the door and i just about wet myself i was so startled to hear something other than the game.

though by the time i did the impossible play through i was jaded. even so the com system at the beginning of EVERY level still made me jump. with that funky connecting / scream / static sound it makes before the people start talking at you.

NonFat

side note:

I work night audit for a hotel in squaw valley, ca and last night i was smoking a cigarette in the lower level of the parking garage (underground) when no one else is normally going to be or even no one else is even awake around here.

and i heard a low grumbling along with a high whine that sounded like one of the monsters in dead space and totally made my skin tingle. it put me soo off edge i looked down and wished i had a plasma cutter

i realize now that it was just a car with the fan belt maladjusted but since it was in a parking garage the sounds reverberated and distorted in such a way that it sounded straight out of the game.

it has been over a week since i got 1k on this game and the images from it are going to haunt me for a long time i think!

NonFat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only times I jumped were one time I was opening a door and for some reason turned around and BAM enemy right in my face and also the first time I encountered an enemy in the vacuum. That only startled me because you can't hear them in space...Other than that I didn't really get scared, even the ending I kind of expected something like that to happen. Awesome game though! Can't wait for the sequel.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I jumped at the end when Isaac turns around and that creature screams and leaps at him. I didn't scream, but it freaked me out. (especially at 3 in the morning.)

I just finished the game and that's the part that scared me. Also, walking around level 9 or 10 when you hear some girl singing "twinkle twinkle little star", I was having little panic attacks LOL. Another thing, maybe it didn't scare me, but whenever I heard a guy yell HELP in that desperate voice, I had to go and beat him to death.

• 2 weeks later...
I just finished the game and that's the part that scared me. Also, walking around level 9 or 10 when you hear some girl singing "twinkle twinkle little star", I was having little panic attacks LOL. Another thing, maybe it didn't scare me, but whenever I heard a guy yell HELP in that desperate voice, I had to go and beat him to death.

That was chapter 10 with the singing. Although, I'm pretty sure I heard it earlier in the game it just was only in a certain section and sounded very distant. All in all it was a great game. No game or movie is "too" scary imo. I enjoy horror games and Dead Space is one of them.

However someone in this thread mentioned the first level of Condemned 2. I mean.. it's a great game, but play Condemned 1, the horror aspect is much greater than Condemned 2 although both are great games.

I remember the first time I played this.

- = Slight spoilers = -

During the first Chapter, there is a Log describing how the Necromorphs move via the vents.

At first, I was overly cautious, and basically quite paranoid about each vent as I kept expecting something.

However, you soon learn that just plays a part in building the atmosphere. Moments where something actually appears through a vent is relatively predictable, and is not too common throughout the game.

However, another memorable moment is when the lights go off as you are walking through one of the hallways (around Ch. 2), and you hear scuttling in the vents. Once again, it is all atmosphere, as nothing eventuates in that hallway.

Also, in one of the later chapters, one of the vents breaks above and behind you... and of course, nothing attacks you there.

Not much else to mention, and obviously after the first playthrough, it lacks anything to surprise you... it has all been seen before.

Anyway, they need to make a SH in a similar sense to LFD where each playthrough is genuinely different (even though you can predict Tanks and other moments quite easily in the game, but a similar principle should apply).

• 4 weeks later...

I never crapped myself or screamed. But my freind was watching me play the whole game, because he himself had the game and wanted to see me play. At the point where you run into your second brute, I wasn't facing the direction it was coming from, and when I turned around the brute was right behind me, about to smack me. This resulted in my freind and brother screaming at the top of their lungs "OMFG IT'S RIGHT THERE!!!!!" and jumping out of their seats. That was the funniest part of the game for me, and it still makes me laugh out loud. :p