Ending Discussion Thread - All other threads will be deleted!

The Pants Party

How do you feel about the ending?  

471 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the ending?

• I love it.
    • I like it as-is.
    • I like the indoctrination theory.
    • I like it, but the lack of closure bothers me.
    • I dislike it, but I may like it with some elaboration and clarification.
    • I dislike it, and hope they make a new ending.
    • I dislike it, and believe the indoctrination theory.
    • I hate it.

The ending is absolute garbage. So much so that now, a week after experiencing it, It just makes me laugh. Like Seriously just laugh. Sitting in my Chair Laughing out loud like a senile old person.

Bioware Really though this was a good "Ending"? Really? They Really thought that this was a good way to end the Greatest Gaming Trilogy ever made? LOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Just a random thought.

Why would the "Guardian" Space Magic AI kid let Shepard Waltz in and Destroy his Creations(The Reapers), and himself? Not a very good Guardian if you ask me.

Answer: He wouldn't. Yet another thing thats retarded about the ending. Or another thing hinting that Shepard really was being manipulated by Harbinger.

Or maybe your the one who is retarded and didn't pay attention.

What part of the Catalysts (not a magic AI kid) dialouge with Shepherd didn't you understand when he says about his equation for how to stop Chaos was now obsolete due to the fact Shepherd had brought about the beings of the galaxy together, organic and synthetic.

He then said he needed a new solution for this new issue, and thus gave you the three choices available to you.

Its an A.I. its just making logical choices to something it deems an issue, and without feeling or emotion it is very straight to the point.

Thats why he lets Shepherd have the choice to 'waltz in' as you put it, because he isn't allowed to pick and needs someone to make a choice.

I believe the Catalyst was banking on you/Shepherd picking the blue option because blue is good in the world of ME when at the end of the game its the Renagade solution, but the destruction of the Reapers is the Paragon option, but its coloured red.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe in furture pre orders distributors should send out an email saying 'Please specify what ending you would like to be bundled with your game' :rolleyes:

I saw the consequences of ME2 play out in ME3 and all my choices up until the end were cool and I was happy with what I had accomplished.

Its pretty evident that Bioware did not only do the ending like it was to keep you guessing and wanting more, but its basically the biggest rick roll of all time. There will be more DLC with Shepherd in said Hudson.

I destroyed the Reapers in my ending, job done, but I knew full well it wouldn't end there once you get the extra little bit of Shepherd taking a breath in the rubble of London.

I know the main complaint is the ending, but seriously, when Shepherd speaks to the Catalyst, he admits that his equation for balancing Chaos by eradicating organic life at its peak was now out dated after witnessing Shepherd bringing orgainics and synthetics together.

So in order to make a new equation to balance this he gives you the choice to destroy, control or merge with Reapers/Synths.

Pick one, job done.

The Catayst is hardly going to go, 'Well Shepherd, I've been watching you since your first mission on Eden Prime and I have seen evey babe you've banged, people killed and how many people you have saved, so I was going to give you three options to help stop this war, but I'm going to give you 15 buttons based on all your decisions because otherwise it just wouldn't be proper and fair on you'.

It blatanetly isn't the end, possibly an indoctrination vision, the DLC with give us the real 'what happened after waking up in the rubble' part of the ending, in my opinion. People are being so impatient.

Like I said, its a Bioware rick roll.

Edited by Stormy2k

From temporary22 on youtube

"By the way, it's not gamer entitlement, it's CONSUMER ENTITLEMENT. We have the full right to bitch about what we spend (or don't spend for that matter) our money on, and it's part of how economics works. This "entitlement" shit would be LAUGHED AT in any other industry. You don't see car companies saying that they can hold back features because of DRIVER ENTITLEMENT do you? "

Leaving an ending off-disc is a slippery slope. Not everyone plays online and anyone picking up the game 10 years down the line will be SOL.

They'll probably latch onto some fan theory like the indoctrination thing and say "that's what we meant to do the whole time."

Leaving an ending off-disc is a slippery slope. Not everyone plays online and anyone picking up the game 10 years down the line will be SOL.

They'll probably latch onto some fan theory like the indoctrination thing and say "that's what we meant to do the whole time."

Its not that they left the ending off disc... its that the ending that was in the game was not the original ending. The original ending was changed because apparently the script was leaked and fans wernt happy. But to be honest i would have prefered the original ending... via http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/17086/mass-effect-writer-drew-karpyshyn-reveals-original-mass-effect-3-endings

The Dark Energy was a force that was going to consume everything. According to Karpyshyn, "The Reapers as a whole were 'nations' of people who had fused together in the most horrific way possible to help find a way to stop the spread of the Dark Energy. The real reason for the Human Reaper was supposed to be the Reapers saving throw because they had run out of time. Humanity in Mass Effect is supposedly unique because of its genetic diversity and represented the universe's best chance at stopping Dark Energy's spread."

The original choice was between killing the Reapers and trying to find a way to stop the Dark Energy threat with what little time was left before it consumed the galaxy, or, "Sacrifice humanity, allowing them to be horrifically processed in hopes that the end result will justify the means."

You can make your own decision about the ending, but as it says in the article... Both of them are bullshit because all that effort you go to across the 3 games to recruit everyone, make all those important decisions and even so far as to who you took on the final mission for earth dont matter... because you get a specific ending that doesnt change depending on what you do, an abrupt ending that doesnt give any closure, and your fucking squadmates are on the Normandy without a fucking scratch after being hit by Harbingers beam.

Maybe thats what they set out to do from day one and will praise fans who figured it out.

Its all swings and roundabouts. Some will be cyincal some won't.

Or maybe your the one who is retarded and didn't pay attention.

What part of the Catalysts (not a magic AI kid)

. . .

I believe the Catalyst was banking on you/Shepherd picking the blue option because blue is good in the world of ME when at the end of the game its the Renagade solution, but the destruction of the Reapers is the Paragon option, but its coloured red.

You're really going to start calling people names?

The Catalyst is an AI. And it is a Gigantic Pile of smelly Space Magic. Thats all there is to it.

Yes, yes of course. The Extremely Advanced, Millions of years old Artificial Intelligence was "Banking" on Shepard making a certain Choice.

Lets break down just one more plot hole in the Terrible ending of Mass Effect 3. And this one doesn't even relate to Pre-existing cannon. This is a plot hole within the plot hole ridden ending.

This AI(Guardian/Catalyst/Space magic) Controls the Reapers. It Controls the Reapers.

The Illusive man, who was simply indoctrinated can Control Shepard to a certain extent.

Using this line of logic, the Catalyst Guardian Space Magic AI could have easily controlled Shepard and force him to a certain option, most definitely away from his own(the Catalyst AI/Reaper) destruction.

I know the main complaint is the ending, but seriously, when Shepherd speaks to the Catalyst, he admits that his equation for balancing Chaos by eradicating organic life at its peak was now out dated after witnessing Shepherd bringing orgainics and synthetics together.

No. the Catalyst AI never Acknowledges this fact. He says that his Solution is no longer valid simply because Shepard is speaking to the Catalyst. The Catalyst AI Never mentions uniting Synthetics and Organics. Never.

In Fact, the ending completely disregards every single thing you've ever done in all three games.

Maybe your the one who doesn't fully understand the ending?

The final ending didn't bother me as much as the battles leading up to the ending. I was thinking that assests would lead to more cut scenes at the end showing some of those assests I picked up battling the reapers in their own ways.

As for the final cut scenes the only thing that I didn't care for is that there is no way to do a game/comic/book that takes place after this game in the mass effect universe unless they come out and say "this ending was the true ending" and the others won't matter. Also any DLC that takes place after the final battle or epilogue would be hard to make sense of since the endings are so different.

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/

Bioware Co-Founder addresses ending and future DLC

Wow, you really don't like to read before posting, huh? First you create a thread about this when there are already 3 of them on the first page.....then you post it in here even though the post directly above yours already addresses this.

this is why people claim the ending makes no sense. you say they are making a new ending based on this article. they do not say that in this article. you read the title, which is wrong. it says they will answer questions about it. to me that means they will elaborate on the current ending, not give a new one. people did the same thing with the ending. it makes sense if you pay attention for more than .3 seconds and think about it. if people spent that energy into understanding the ending instead of coming up with theories, we wouldnt have this situation. the only thing that is weird is showing squad mates that you had with you on the final mission getting off the normandy during the final cutscene. that i dont understand.

Wow, you really don't like to read before posting, huh? First you create a thread about this when there are already 3 of them on the first page.....then you post it in here even though the post directly above yours already addresses this.

yes i saw the post above mine but its a different link and i gave the true source.

Why are people on here such assholes

At least his response is more substantial then Casey Hudsons' "We wanted the ending to be talked about" response. . .

Agreed, at least its a better response then "you should imagine the ending how u want"

Edited by Metaraon

yes i saw the post above mine but its a different link and i gave the true source.

Why are people on here such assholes

The link he gave leads to the EXACT same information as your link. I'm sorry if asking people to use their eyeballs is an asshole thing to do in your world. I guess it has just come to be expected that 3 year forum members would read before posting.

before Bioware does anything with the end,i would very much like Bioware to explain the end to me,maybe i can see where they were coming from if they did

just lets hear their version first,and see if anything will then fall into place(which i seriously doubt)

I agree, but I see only two possibilities:

1. Shepard is being manipulated by Harbinger.
  2. There is no Explanation and the terrible ending is just terrible.

heres the way i see this whole thing. regardless of whether or not you like the ending, bioware giving in and changing the ending is about the worst thing that could happen. it will set a terrible precedent. no one has the right to jump in and dictate how SOMEONE ELSES story plays out. thats why its called art. this is how all movies and video games are. the day we do that is the day these stories lose their point and their value. when it comes to paying for something in this type of entertainment medium you are paying to see how SOMEONE ELSES story plays out. you payed, you saw it, case closed. there really isnt much else to say. insisting someone else change their artistic vision because you dont like it is one of THE MOST self righteous, self centered things i think i have ever heard.

now regarding the actual ending. it does make sense. it may not have been elaborated on all that well, that i do agree with. but this point and click generation has grown to have the attention span of a gnat. if they have to think about something for more than .3 seconds they lose interest or call it lame. i am aware that i am generalzing here and this does not include everyone, but from what i have seen id say that it includes more than half. id like to think that people that invested themselves in this story and find it and its characters fascinating are better and smarter than that. it took me a little while of thinking about it, but i promise you it does make sense. aside from the squad member you took with you for the last mission being on the ship in the final cutscene, i have no idea what thats all about. that was probably a mistake because they were rushing or something. but that has nothing to do with the actual ending regarding the reapers and shepards choice.

overall, i am more likely to lose faith in bioware if they give in and change it. to me that shows that in the long run they are more about appeasing the masses and making money then anything else.

Edited by edgecrusherhalo

Of all the plot holes i've heard about the ending, I don't think anyone's mentioned the fact that Shepard seemingly survives a FULL REAPER BEM TO THE FACE. Earlier in the game a strike like this would have been an instant death, ie in the battle against the reaper on the Quarian home world. Even getting slightly skimmed by this beam and it's bye bye Shepard, but here's Shepard surviving a full on blast to the face. -_- :p kind of supports the whole indoctronated theory.

Ever heard about Fallout 3's ending? Fans said it was horrible. DLC. People had faith in the game. How about Two Human? Nonsensical BS. Artist who makes that title says it is art you do not get my art. Game supposed to be trilogy. It flops.

Who is the art for? The one creating it? or the one purchasing it? When you make interactive art and say the entire way through that your choices matter and in the end they really do not then there is an issue. They said your choices had significant effect on your ending. All in all it was about what color frosting on your trash can cake you got. But it all tasted the same.

If I ask an artist to create a painting. He says it will be a painting on a snow capped mountain in December in the Alps and the time will be around 2pm and it will be sunny. I pay for it in advance. Get it back to my house and notice it is a painting in a dank cave in July at 2 am. I demand he makes good on his promises about his art before the product is revealed. Or I demand my money back. It happens all the time when Art is commissioned. It is not always about what the Artist wants. Nor is it all about what the purchaser wants. Certain things were promised. They were not delivered. That is the issue. It is not because it is unhappy here or what there. What they promised for the last 5 years means nothing. It comes down to reading a pick your own adventure where in the end the only differences are minimal and what color they are.

It was either a ruse, Idoctrination. Which means the real ending was DLC and not on a disc. Haha fooled you. Or it is the most nonsense writing ever from a series known for its promises and its writing. That is the issue at hand. The end has cyclical logic and it is flawed. They have stated that those were the planned endings. Either way coming from DA2 and TORtanic I can see why they are changing the ending. Amazon is returning money to people because of this. They are losing profit. For once as gamers we said NO. Your lazy writing or an attempt to manipulate people for DLC money is too much.. FIX THIS or we will not be back.

Who am I to judge their work. The guy who spends money filling their coffers. I do not go to a steak retaurant. Order a med rare ribeye and get a well done sirloin and go well that artist in the back there thinks this is what I should want. No give me what I was told I was going to get or give me my money back.

And if you played the game please replay the Geth Consensus and go see how the logic that everything The Creator does is up to him. See how that works out for them. Nope in the end they need the help and credits of the old faithful servants. The people that enabled them to continue with their work.. It's a stretch but it is kinda amusing.. It seems ME and its universe have taken a life of its own.

The link he gave leads to the EXACT same information as your link. I'm sorry if asking people to use their eyeballs is an asshole thing to do in your world. I guess it has just come to be expected that 3 year forum members would read before posting.

I thought this was a mass effect ending thread not a call people out for not reading posts thread?

Edited by Metaraon

I think Bioware ran out of time to fully complete the ending, so they rushed it.

I don't think Shepard was indoctrinated. The indoctrination theory has Shepard in his dream state on Earth, the whole time. However, the other indoctrinated, Saren from ME1 and The Illusive Man in 2 & 3, had physical presences throughout much of their respective games. Otherwise, the Illusive Man is still alive somewhere, since Shepard only 'dreamed' TIL's death. Also, to complete the end and make the choices, Shepard's physical presence was required on the Citadel. In the indoctrination theory, that couldn't happen.

Alternative:

If the harbringer gets Shepard at the end, and he dies, or almost dies, then the reapers won. They (the reapers) stopped all contenders from destroying them, and will then continue obliterating everyone else. So the reapers don't need to do some "indoctrination" ending where they try to have Shepard choose some path. Instead, they will continue ending life, start destroying the crucible, etc.

If Shepard is indoctrinated at the end, why are the reapers (3 husks and 1 marauder on Insanity), still out to get him?

------------------------------------

I took the ending at face value. I don't think the Synthesis and Control ending were really 'bad' endings. From ME1, the reapers come in cycles, every 50,000 years, to destroy life and start a new cycle of life. However, they never mention, til the child says it, that they only want to destroy the 'adults'. Basically, I don't get how the reapers 'win' if they are still around, their survival is not their point of existence.

In the end, the child says "We [synthetics] destroy organics so that synthetics don't destroy organics." (Akward, but moving on) However, I never got the sense that the Geth were on the brink of destroying all life as we know it. In fact, you learn in ME3 that it was the Quarians who started the war. So why did the Reapers come? It wasn't time for the 'cycle' based on the kids description of the point of the reapers.

--------------------------

P.S., I don't remember much of the story behind Mass Effect 2.

P.P.S. I played Halo 3, and the whole plant speaking to Chief parts, I thought were pointless and not really important to the story, so I immediately wrote off the dream sequences with Shepard and the kid.

--------------------------

EDITS: Cleaning up some spelling/grammar.

Edited by blurbia

I have to agree with everyone who doesn't like the endings they make entirely too little sense especially with the backstory they took all the time to create.

~Blowing up a mass relay results in an explosion comparable to a supernova.

~Synthetics don't have a genome to 'Tweak' with synthesis to create a new universal DNA.

and the biggest kicker for me is that if Starchild Plotkiller was on the citadel the entire time why did they need Sovreign or the Collectors? Why not just open the citadel relay on its own or indoctrinate the sentient beings there into doing it themselves?

Not matter what they do though, the team at Bioware's five years and countless hours of work will be boiled down to a 101 class on how easy it is to screw up a sure win and an internet meme. Hell they'd garner more respect if they would stop trying to hide behind artistic integrity B.S. Artistic Integrity is what they did with the first 30+ hours of the game not the last 10 minutes of fail.