How hard is this game?

Hi there, ive been looking at videos of this game and it looks so fun to play, however the combos and explosions of colourful lights and what not sort of put me off (becuase, yes, i am a noob.) The achievement guide makes most the achievements look doable but i was just wondering if spent the money on this game will i just get my assed kicked all over the screen

thanks in advance =)

Hi there, ive been looking at videos of this game and it looks so fun to play, however the combos and explosions of colourful lights and what not sort of put me off (becuase, yes, i am a noob.) The achievement guide makes most the achievements look doable but i was just wondering if spent the money on this game will i just get my assed kicked all over the screen

thanks in advance =)

It's pretty much standard controls for this type of game but if you struggle with things like street fighter you can change the button configuration to simple mode which makes all of the moves pretty much one button presses. The big combo finishes are just LT and RT together as opposed to direction and button combinations, it's real friendly to new players, achievements are all real easy as I guess you could do most of them on very easy mode ( except complete it on hard and the online ones ) I'd definately recommend this to anyone, especially if your new too or just not that familiar with the street fighter/marvel series. It's a blast, new players won't necceseraly get bested by seasoned players thanks to the simple mode.

I wanted to comment that I think most of the achievements are pretty easy EXCEPT for the one that requires 320 missions completed out of mission mode. Yes, there is definitely some leniency but man some of them get difficult and time consuming after a while, and some of the cancels they require are pretty dirty. Fun though! Good challenge I'd say.

I wanted to comment that I think most of the achievements are pretty easy EXCEPT for the one that requires 320 missions completed out of mission mode. Yes, there is definitely some leniency but man some of them get difficult and time consuming after a while, and some of the cancels they require are pretty dirty. Fun though! Good challenge I'd say.

Yea I forgot those when I posted earlier in the thread, all achievements would be pretty simple with the new control system except for those three in the mission mode as you have to use the original control system to do them (as far as I'm aware, haven't tried with simple thou but I'm guessing it doesn't work, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but they are do able if somewhat time consuming, but if you want to learn all the controls and combos grinding thru the mission mode is a great way to learn them and set yourself up with the game as if you do learn the control system I find it's easier to pull off long combos with it, still not a necessity to have a hell of a lot of fun with this game.

Yea I forgot those when I posted earlier in the thread, all achievements would be pretty simple with the new control system except for those three in the mission mode as you have to use the original control system to do them (as far as I'm aware, haven't tried with simple thou but I'm guessing it doesn't work, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but they are do able if somewhat time consuming, but if you want to learn all the controls and combos grinding thru the mission mode is a great way to learn them and set yourself up with the game as if you do learn the control system I find it's easier to pull off long combos with it, still not a necessity to have a hell of a lot of fun with this game.

Nope, you're correct, you can't use simple mode controls on Mission Mode. Mission Mode is definitely a great introduction to how the system works, but there are plenty of more combos out there than what it provides, many of which are more universally useful than what's seen in mission mode. Still good though, things like cancelling attacks into other attacks, using your assists at correct times, and attack properties are all here.

I'd say that it is an easy to pick up and play game, even with standard controls. The whole three attack button system with one special button makes combos and stuff like team aerial combos stupidly easy to do when you get to it. Maybe it's just me among some others that find it very simple to play, because I've played fighting games of many types for quite some time now and I'm used to MvC in particular, but I don't imagine it should be too hard for a new player to get at least competent at playing it on an amateur level and start learning stuff.

Mission mode will also do you good by showing you some stuff that the game is capable of and what certain fighters can do in terms of combos and attacks.

And if you do get it, do yourself a favor and start off with standard controls and bear with it. If after a while you find it not so easy to handle, then by all means, go with simple controls. I just think it would be better and more rewarding to try it out with the regular control scheme first and see if you like it.

• 8 months later...

Giant raise, but I just got Ultimate (was looking to getting regular for same price or lower, then it was announced) and my experience with fighting games is pretty much the odd Street Fighter/Tekken/whatever at arcades and some Soul Calibur IV.

---What are pros and cons of Normal vs Simple controls? I'm guessing you can do more intricate and/or better combos with Normal? How do I do a hyper combo with Normal?

---What I should I play when starting out? Training just lets you figure out controls as far as I saw - an opponent that just sits there isn't a learning environment. I'll look for written guides and tips, but are there any Youtube channels that are good? A character guide would be nice.

---At what point should I go online? What challenging achievement will mean I'm as good as I can be against AI after earning it?

• 4 weeks later...

There aren't any pros to Simple mode other than it being easier to do already fairly basic things. You don't have access to certain moves in Simple mode so you can't use all your character's tools, its main use I guess is for guests that don't own the game and haven't got the "magic series" combo system in their head (that being, light chains into medium which chains into heavy which chains into launcher, eg. s.LMHS->j.MMHS being a practically universal combo with all the characters). If you're going to want to be playing the game at an above average level, you'll be playing on Normal mode. Hypers can be found in your character's command list, they're typically quarter circle or shoryuken motions (forward, down, down-forward) and two attack buttons simultaneously.

I spend all my time in training mode, it's a great learning environment if you know what you're going to be learning. You can find the optimal combos for characters on fighting game forums like Shoryuken.com, but as you're new to the game you're better off sticking to magic series combos for now and instead focus on what moves have to be blocked in what way (overheads have to be blocked standing, lows have to be blocked crouching, throws have to be teched, crossovers are ambiguous attacks that have your opponent behind your character and may seem like you're blocking by holding forward when it is in fact considered backward), how to correctly utilise assists, and changes to your character's speed/weight/strength when in different levels of X-factor. Make sure you have input display turned on, because if something isn't happening when you think it should be you can check for any input errors that you may be performing. Play some rounds of arcade if you have no one local to play with, but try to play smart and keep in your head what you're trying to do to your opponent rather than just jumping about the screen.

No idea for your last question, I don't play AI or online :p I imagine you'd want to know the fundamentals of the game before going online, after that I suppose any time is good- just try to keep your cool against the people you lose to, everything seems to be considered cheap by someone in this game and I can't imagine lag making it any more tolerable haha.

Imo, the steepest learning curve I've ever seen. I thought I was decent until I played people online and they kicked my ass all over the place and pulled off Team Aerial after Team Aerial followed by Hypers (all of which they manage to block but I can't, probably because I'm already knocked down). Mission mode only gets you so far - the game needs an ACTUAL tutorial for stuff like Snapbacks, DHCs, Team Aerial Combos, etc. Luckily there's shoryuken.com....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This game is fun when your starting out, but when it comes to doing certain combos, it CAN be irritating and online is very fun, though some people tend to be cheap with certain characters... But if you can find a way around the combos, then good luck. to me, it was a good buy :D

• 1 year later...