Pretty disappointed.

ReaptheChaos

Having just finished the game I have to say that I don’t see what all the hype was about. I remember last year when this came out, everyone was raving on how original and brilliant this game was, personally I think this was one of the most boring games I’ve ever played.

I wouldn’t even call it a game, it was more like watching a really long, really boring movie that would pause every once in a while and you had to push a button to get the actor to say the next line.

You basically sit there watching the game as it tells you a story, a really long boring story, I think I even fell asleep a couple times. Aside from the occasional gun fight, the only game play you get is driving from one point to the next. I enjoyed the free roam street crimes more than the main game. Originally I was trying to do the cases on my own, I was doing pretty good too, but having to sit through an entire case a second time because I missed a question or clue was just more than I could take, so after a while and I started using a guide just to get through this pile of garbage faster.

All I can say is, I’m glad I didn’t buy this when it came out. If I would have spent 60 bucks on this I would feel seriously ripped off right now. Having spent $15 on the game and another $10 on the Rockstar pass I still feel somewhat swindled.

This game is a perfect example of why I never buy games at release anymore, how you can justify a $60 price tag plus the DLC is beyond me. The only plus I can see is that they didn’t throw in a bunch of bullshit online achievements like most Rockstar games usually do.

I don't know man I really liked it, it was a new type of game and I was impressed with the facial animation. I think a lot more of Rockstar games using it in the future.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY7RYCsE9KQ]L.A. Noire Trailer - Behind the Scenes - YouTube[/ame]

Have you played Heavy Rain? Now that was a movie not a game.

I don't know man I really liked it, it was a new type of game and I was impressed with the facial animation. I think a lot more of Rockstar games using it in the future.

Have you played Heavy Rain? Now that was a movie not a game.

Oh I totally agree with you on that point. The animation and graphics where very well done. In fact, I recognized a lot of the actors by simply seeing their face in the game. That was quite impressive. I just found it lacking in actual gameplay. Maybe its just not my cup of tea, I’ve never really liked games that use excessive amounts of cut scenes to tell a story. I want to be playing a game not watching it.

I personally enjoyed the game just because of te whole questioning thing and the facial animation. I did not enjoy the ending.

I think this is why there was so much "hype"...the whole facial thing, which I thought was pretty cool. Aside for that, I liked the detail of the city and the cars.

Some people just don't get it... Trying not to go down a really rant road here of all people want these days are FPS, fast paced games where they get to blow shit up and don't realise when a great, original game slaps them in the face...

I won't go down that road though... Oh wait?!

Personally the game was great. It's something that has never really been done before to this extent and was a breath of fresh air. The whole set-up of it all was brilliant, right from looking for clues, interrogation and even the simply gameplay. For what it was, it was a step forward.

Seems like some people are hard to please with a lot of companies that take risks like this and again as I said, all they want is what works and nothing new!

Edited by Nozza

I think this is why there was so much "hype"...the whole facial thing, which I thought was pretty cool. Aside for that, I liked the detail of the city and the cars.

Rockstar has always done an excellent job with vehicles and city details. They were both extremely well done in GTA 4 and Midnight Club, I expected nothing less with this game.

Some people just don't get it... Trying not to go down a really rant road here of all people want these days are FPS, fast paced games where they get to blow shit up and don't realise when a great, original game slaps them in the face...

I won't go down that road though... Oh wait?!

Personally the game was great. It's something that has never really been done before to this extent and was a breath of fresh air. The whole set-up of it all was brilliant, right from looking for clues, interrogation and even the simply gameplay. For what it was, it was a step forward.

Seems like some people are hard to please with a lot of companies that take risks like this and again as I said, all they want is what works and nothing new!

I tend to like slower paced games myself, I think this one was just a little to slow. Look at my games list, you wont see many FPS games on there and the ones that are, I never really got very far.

I enjoyed it because it was different at the time, I think after 12 months of hype though I could understand why it didn't meet expectations. The problem all along was that because of the Rockstar connection it was always going to be compared with Red Dead or to a greater degree GTA IV however much they tried to say it wasn't. Not the greatest game ever but still a good story and game all the same and the DLC additions were worth the money unlike some recent jokes I can think of.

I liked the game very much, the scenes and story was enjoyable bought it on day 1 release and do not regret spending the £40 the only thing that disappointed me was the lack of multiplayer, even if it was simply free roaming with your friends. And it was the first game I've owned that required 3 different disks, I kept getting sadder once I had moved onto the next simply because "Aww, there's only 1 disk left until it's all over." :(

• 3 weeks later...

It's a game, some people will like this type of game, some people won't.

Complaining there isn't enough action tells me this wasn't your type of game. I loved it but i enjoy detective stories and detective games in general, and this is easily the best detective game i have played.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this game was great, the clues, the questioning, the car chases,every gun battle you have. The only thing that i didnt like was towards the end of the game where it changesfor phelps to the other guy(cant remeber is name) i kinda lost my way in understanding what was happening and then the end was abit crappy.But overall was a great game and DLC is good too :)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the game was very well done. I think the reason some people didnt like it was because rockstar actually decided to pay attention to the narrative of the story more than the actual game play. I guess some people just have too short an attention span to actually be submerged in a story plot.

Only just got the complete edition of this game for 20 dollars on Tuesday.

Actually looking forward to playing it despite all the criticisms that I've heard, though starting it will have to wait for 1000-ing CEA and Gundam.

I was actually disappointed with the game, too, but I think that was largely because the game was (in my opinion) overhyped, especially in regards to the facial motion capture technology. The city itself was pretty impressive, and the research the team did into the automobiles, the movies, and the noir 'feel' was pretty impressive.

I thought the gameplay as regarding the detective work was actually quite disappointing, but now that I've had a year to reflect on the game, I'm appreciating it more. Yeah, it was flawed, but I kept on coming back, finished the game to the end, bought all the DLC, and found all the collectibles. And I had fun doing it. I hear that Rockstar hasn't killed off doing something with LA Noire again in the future, and I would definitely look forward to it. I just hope it doesn't show up on 3 discs again.

• 1 month later...