'Grease Monkey'? Try this! (if you still can...)

Bahaumaut

So, when I got this game, I've played it never connected to Live at all. Everytime I play this game, I make sure that I'm not connected at all (cable removed / wireless router removed as well). So, if I understand correctly, as long as I never connect to Live while playing this game, I should be ok? I'm not close to beating the game yet, I put the game down for a while to play some other titles. I'm going to go back and try to get this all done. I really hope that what I'm doing is right ... everytime I put the disc into my 360, a part of me on the inside is scared to death. I really hope I don't get it glitched ... >_<

• 2 weeks later...

I did it exactly as Bahaumaut described...

Played through the game on hardcore, without upgrading anything.

After that, I replayed some episodes to get the missing achievements and grinding tech points.

When I got about 140.000 tech points I upgraded all my weapons and jetpack as described...

And voila - the achievement appeared :)

• 2 months later...
Just starting to play this game and i see that should be cautious about that achievement.

How long it would take me if i play until 2-4 on casual where could farm all the needed points to get that achievement done and then play without sweating in fear for glitch on hardcore and upgrade whenever i want.

Honestly, as I stated above, I never found the game to be all that hard on hardcore...you may feel different....but I played through it one time on hardcore and never upgraded until I had enough to upgrade everything at one.

going through on casual till you get to 2-4 won't take you long. less than 4 hours probably.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to throw my two cents here!

I don't have the game, but you said your upgrades are stored in your profile? It is possible to do a similar workaround you can perform on Command & Conquer 3, I will quote the post here!

Originally Posted by Oblivion Knight http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/images/X360A/buttons/viewpost.gif

I've been asked for more details, but I'm somewhat reluctant since the same tools can be used to achieve far worse things, that some users may find tempting to exploit (and probably eventually get banned).

First thing that's bound to get asked is, "Will I get banned for doing this?".

The long and short of it is, I don't know. Technically you're not gamesaving, nor hacking achievements. You're temporarily erasing your profile's memory of ever having played this single game. Technically, it's probably against the ToS since you are, to a degree, using a tool to modify or engineer your profile. It's a very grey area; Personally I feel that Microsoft should be doing more about glitched or unattainable achievements anyway, and if they have any issues about me doing this, then they'd have a heck of a battle on their hands!

** DISCLAIMER: I will not be held responsible for any adverse affects to your profile and/or console by using this guide **

Ok, so while I'm not giving any info on the tools used, I will go in to more detail about the file you need to delete; it's contained within your profile's file (make a backup!). You need to explore it's contents and you'll discover an additional folder with the same number - 4541080E - of where the game's saves are stored (you should have backed up and deleted the saves already), I think this folder just has a single .gpd file in it.. Delete the folder, save and rehash your profile (not sure if it's needed, but just in case), upload back to your HDD and go back to your console and play the game offline. Go through as normal, and this is where you'll be prompted with the in-game notice again.

It's probably safe to sign in to Xbox LIVE at this point if you want your achievement timestamped, I did, half expecting the game to moan about a sign-in change - but it didn't. Select "no" to playing the Boot Camp, and your achievement should instantly unlock. At this point, I quit to dashboard and went to upload my backed up profile file and saves for the game. I loaded back to dashboard whilst connected to LIVE, and the achievement was still present on my profile. I also tested to make sure my GDI campaign progress loaded as normal, and it did.

So what I mean is to delete something associated with the game in your profile so it will reset the update counter.

I want to throw my two cents here!

I don't have the game, but you said your upgrades are stored in your profile? It is possible to do a similar workaround you can perform on Command & Conquer 3, I will quote the post here!

So what I mean is to delete something associated with the game in your profile so it will reset the update counter.

You could, but you would need to know the name of the file. Also, MS can tell when your profile has been opened/altered and they will reset for doing it.

You could, but you would need to know the name of the file. Also, MS can tell when your profile has been opened/altered and they will reset for doing it.

Trail and error on a dummy account?

I know it's tampering with something and it's againts the ToS, but if there aren't any other ways, it has to be done, whatever it costs.

Yeah that's a big BS, I'm not getting this game on Xbox, on the PS3 it's more safer doing this trophy cos if you delete your save you delete all your weapons/journals, nothing is tied on your profile like on Xbox.

It may be a good idea to tie something your profile, but sometimes isn't.

Edited by L0Straniero91

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I went through the game on playthrough 1 on hardcore, never upgrading. I then switched to casual and the rest of the points and journals. After I had enough points I upgraded each weapon and the the jetpack at the box in 2-4. I too also only upgraded the 1st slot weapon and the swapped it out for the next weapon. I did this on casual and never switched back to hardcore. I also stayed online. Worked great.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...