Favorite Videogame openings

DarkReign2021

I hope it's ok that I just post the links right in here and don't hide them behind a spoiler link. Top 11 (in no particular order):

Super Castlevania

Contra 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcvPacxAp_4

DOA Ultimate 2

Doom 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grrM6vpUeF

Halo 2

Gears of War

Lost Odyssey (still don't have the game, but plan to one day)

Portal

Dead Rising

Call of Duty 2

Bioshock (original)

Too many videos in one post make the videos and thread in general lag -__-

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing so many awesome and nostalgia-packed games here ^_^ It's making me want to replay everything. Just picking out a few of my favorites from those listed.

Dead or Alive Ultimate- That was the video that truly sealed my love for the Dead or Alive franchise. The gorgeous graphics, the always-amazing Aerosmith, and the enormous amount of backstory for 3 of my favorite characters in the series. I only wish that the action game that was supposed to be based on this video hadn't been scrapped.

Starcraft: Brood War- I remember when I first bought that game. Had no idea what it was about and only got it because my friend had it and told me to get it so we could play together. I actually skipped the opening video my first few times playing and got straight into the game. Eventually I decided I would sit through it and see what it was all about and it blew me away how large some of those in-game units actually were (I.E the Battlecruisers) Plus I'll never forget how non-chalant the terran was listening to his music. No better sign that he's just said fuck it and ready for everything to end.

Half-Life 2- This opening was brilliant in a way that it was so simple. Nothing special happened and it's almost a direct rip from the opening used in the first Half-Life, but that was part of it's charm. This game didn't need to be over-the-top and flashy to be great and this certainly made it's point. The Gman dialog in the beginning served only to add more to the mysteryalready surrounding him and the brilliance of the dialog and his performance was something I actually used as a backdrop to a presentation I had to give once. It was the perfect open to my subject, although regrettably I no longer seem to remember what the subject was.

Nice thread. There are so many...

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - so funny, it had me hooked. I haven't finished it yet, but from the intro I knew this was going to be an epic game. Aside of the hilarious beginning movie, the tutorial was also just plain awesome!

Skip to 1:25

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ok44l9LUg]Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Walkthrough/Gameplay - Intro - Part 1 [No Commentary] - YouTube[/ame]

Wild Arms 2 - I don't know what it is about this song, and intro movie, but it's just so damn epic to me. Plus, it's a badass game! Bring it to the One, please!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-5WOV2YRGU]Wild Arms 2 Intro - YouTube[/ame]

Mega Man 2 - So, it seems like I'm taking a nostalgic approach here, but seriously, when I was a kid, that intro had me wet. Also, Mega Man has some of the best 8-bit music around!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auQv90TfXrI]Mega Man 2- Intro - YouTube[/ame]

Edit: Hmm, I tried to add the videos via spoilers, but that isn't really working for me... so, sorry for those with slow 'puters!

Or just two in the last fact years in fact. Nothing has caught my attention in a long time.

The only ones I can think of are Hitman and Dishonored myself :/ Hitman because he gets a contract to kill his boss, and Dishonored because the dude gets framed for murdering a queen. Those aren't necessarily the best, but pretty cool, imo :) Max Payne 3's intro was pretty funky, too, now that I think about it. But leave it to me to have something good to say about that game lol.

The only ones I can think of are Hitman and Dishonored myself :/ Hitman because he gets a contract to kill his boss, and Dishonored because the dude gets framed for murdering a queen. Those aren't necessarily the best, but pretty cool, imo :) Max Payne 3's intro was pretty funky, too, now that I think about it. But leave it to me to have something good to say about that game lol.

I forgot about Hitman Absolutions intro, the women in the shower..was a pretty decent intro to the game indeed. Max Payne 3's one was a little depressing which is it'd get credit I suppose. Watching it everytime you'd start a new playthrough kind of got mind numbing soon.

I forgot about Hitman Absolutions intro, the women in the shower..was a pretty decent intro to the game indeed. Max Payne 3's one was a little depressing which is it'd get credit I suppose. Watching it everytime you'd start a new playthrough kind of got mind numbing soon.

Hahah, everything in that game got numbing by the 5th playthrough. Darn those certain unskippable cutscenes!