Did the party chat kill multiplayer?

Did the party chat kill multiplayer?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did the party chat kill multiplayer?

• Yes
    • No

Was talking to friends about this last night and we all had mixed opinions so I thought I would put it to you guys.

In my opinion it did, my fondest gaming memories all took place before party chat was intigrated, halo 3, cod 4, cod waw, rainbow 6, it just seemed like those games had much more of a competative and social feel to them, were as now it just feels like im playing against bots all the time.

Even if you choose not to be in a party everyone else is, I used to love all the smack talk before a game and then the still silence from the team that lossed or a barrage of excuses as to why they lossed, and even talking to people that would later become good friends is no longer possible because now there is just one loner screaming, making stupid noises or playing music to loud. Sure there is S&D but everytime i play that it is full of morons.

I just feel that the party chat feature (though I agree it is very good to be able to chat to your friends) has divided xbox live, all the idiots that no one wants to talk to are left in game chat, while all the people that you would enjoy talking to are just voiceless because they are in party chat. It has in my opinion destroyed both the social and competative side of multiplayer gaming.

So what are your guys opinions?

Your active over on the CS:GO forums so you should know opinions on this issue. If I'm forced into game chat such as MW2 I just mute everyone not in my party, we generally just played team tac as it allows parties and excluding 1 friend just because they don't like the game or fancy a change is kinda mean (seeing as MW2 was pretty much all I played) so if anything it took away from the experience of the game as it is just an unnecessary annoyance that limited playlist options.

Kill party chat. No. Has it had a surprising effect of multiplayer. Yes. I always bitch about not having the option in TMD for MW2 to go into party chat. I hated hearing the litte kids and having to mute everybody. However, I thought it was so boring being in a party chat with my team in mw3. I never thought I would say this, however I think forcing to be in game chat, with the option to mute was more fun for me. It always feels better when you hear 9 year olds screaming and then getting to drop a nuke on them.

I don't think party chat did much at all, it's just that gaming was funner back then when less people played and teams seemed more balanced skill-wise, plus it was all a lot simpler and the gaming industry wasn't yet the total cash-grab that it is (for the most part, with exceptions) today. Also, this generation was still fresh and young then, so new things and features seemed better than they do now, I mean whatever happened to True-skill and ranked matchmaking features like that?

I don't think it had any effect.

It has in my opinion destroyed both the social and competative side of multiplayer gaming.

I can sort of see what you mean about the social part of it, but I have no idea what you mean about the competitive side of it. In my opinion, people are going to play at their best regardless of the fact that most people are in party chat. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, though.

Edited by snipingheadshot

i feel like its the other way around. take CS: GO for example - you cant go in party chat (or even private chat) at all and i only play it when im not in a party cause i like to talk with my friends.

and even in CoD, like others have said, when im playin Search i just mute everyone thats not in my party. they should just allow party chat in every multiplayer game - if anything it helps multiplayer not ruin it

If anything, party chat HELPED multiplayer. Now I can talk to my friends and have fun without having to listen to a bunch of kids playing music and screaming into their headsets.

Question answered. Anything that means I don't have to listen to kids playing Bieber and screaming crap without having to mute people constantly does nothing but improve gaming.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely think the introduction of party chat had a massive impact on the amount of communication players have with people they are not already friends with. Don't get me wrong, there are a LOT of idiots on XBL that are happy to troll & flame but there are also a lot of cool people out there too!

• 3 months later...

Yeah now it seems like the only people not in party chat are loud annoying kids yelling into the mic or people playing music. On COD 4 I used to play S&D all the time but after that party chat came about and it just ruined the game. You kill someone on the opposing team and they are able to give out your location, when before if you was dead you couldn't communicate with your teammates until the end of the round. It changed the gameplay I think.