Completely terrifying..

Having never played any of the old Silent Hills (apart from the first, barely made it to the highschool when I was about 6 or something), I started SH2 the day before the HD collection came out - got delivered early. I think its fair to say I completely shit my pants throughout 90% of the game.

Yeah I never played any of the Silent Hill games before either. Just started up SH2 got halfway through the opening cutscene and said fuck this. Shit creeped me out. No way I'm playing this at 3am all by myself lmao.

Is this really what the worlds come to when people think dead space is scary? A few jump scares throughout a 8 hour game is terrible. Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, old school Resident Evil, and Amnesia/Penumbra are the way to go.

Scariness is all subjective. I played every F.E.A.R. game, and didn't really find those to be all that scary. I loved both Dead Spaces, and found those to be moderately scary. Silent Hill is the only series to ever actually cause me to have a nightmare the night after. With that said, I love all of those series.

I will say, however, the one game that ever caused me to legitimately be scared to take another step was Alan Wake. That game was like a perfect blend of story, scares, and atmosphere. I have yet to play American Nightmare though. I typically don't care for arcade games, sadly.

Edited by Int3rnalF3ar

Is this really what the worlds come to when people think dead space is scary? A few jump scares throughout a 8 hour game is terrible. Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, old school Resident Evil, and Amnesia/Penumbra are the way to go.

I kind of agree, although the atmosphere in the first one was pretty scary throughout. It did a really good job of sucking you into the situation you were put in I thought, Dead Space 2 however, whilst still a good game, lost all sense of fear to me anyway.

But yeah, Silent Hill all the way for scares. Still haven't gone back to Silent Hill 2 since finishing it, I'm that scared! Haha

Yeah I never played any of the Silent Hill games before either. Just started up SH2 got halfway through the opening cutscene and said fuck this. Shit creeped me out. No way I'm playing this at 3am all by myself lmao.

Hahahaha get in there! If you think the beginning is bad.. well, good luck to you sir :p

Dead Space isn't scary, it's just jumpy, they're two different things, Silent Hill,verll the first three were truly scary..... And I understand why h finds the start of SH2 scary, you have the monster noises in the forest which are creepy as hell and that really weird metallic track in the room with the dead butterflies.... Tha soundtrack always f-ed me up .

Yeah haha, every time theres some collection of loud noises I freak out. I've literally sat there for up to 10 minutes at times unable to progress! Hahaha

Agreed with Dead Space though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dead space 1 was moderately scary but mostly to cheap jumps. Dead Space 2 was hardly frightening. The game always gave you enough ammo to shoot your way out of a sticky situation. Ive always wanted to finish through other silent hill games the only one ive beaten is homecoming and it was decent stand alone game but I remember playing the demo for 3 and shitting my pants all the way through. Im definately picking up the hd collection when i get a chance bugs be damned!

Shock doesnt equal fear.

In Dead Space some monsters jump in the screen all the time, thats not comparable on how a Silent Hill lets you question your sanity. At some moments I thought i was getting crazy cause I heared things I havent heared on last playthroughs and half the game consists of "Holy fu**" moments.

Thats why I love Silent Hill soo much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...