Just a little less chaos please...

AreUPokey

I really want to like the multiplayer in this game, but there's just too much happening on-screen. Between the environmental hazards, turrets and hordes of mines that litter the airspace, there's little room left for good old-fashioned dog-fighting.

I love how the planes control, and the maps are nicely laid out for the most part, so everything's in place for a great game. But you really can't rely on aerial maneuvering for success since you have to constantly dodge all this stuff that just hangs there in the air.

Imagine sixteen people in a FPS (COD, Halo) all having five mines apiece and laying them down at the same time all over the map, and you can get some idea of what it's like. I guess I should have been clued in that this was more Mario Kart than Ace Combat since it has Snoopy in the title, but I'm still a little disappointed.

First of all, when someone dies, their mines die with them. Also, there are plenty of weapons to counter-act the mines, which is why you get to have 2. The EMP or the BAM do nicely. Or you can just do an aerial maneuver to break the lock.

If you're getting shot down too often, try flying lower. You're more easily noticed up high. I've survived entire matches by staying in the trenches.

The Blunderbuss is great for destroying minefields in front of you. It's really great to just tail someone whose only strategy is to fly around dropping squitos mines while repeatedly shooting them with the blunderbuss. Destroys the mines and them.

But, I can understand what you mean. Sometimes I wish I could just fly around and use guns only. Having to constantly destroy mines and do tricks to drop the leeches off gets annoying after a while.

First of all, when someone dies, their mines die with them. Also, there are plenty of weapons to counter-act the mines, which is why you get to have 2. The EMP or the BAM do nicely. Or you can just do an aerial maneuver to break the lock.

If you're getting shot down too often, try flying lower. You're more easily noticed up high. I've survived entire matches by staying in the trenches.

I'm not saying the game isn't balanced, there's always a method for countering enemy attacks. My complaint is that a major part of a match is having to deal with all this "extra stuff." You're not just trying to outmaneuver enemies, you're also outmaneuvering all those enemies' mines. And even though the mines die with them, it takes about 4 seconds for that person to set out some more mines.

The game was obviously designed to be this way, so I'm not calling it broken or anything like that. But for me personally, I wish it had a little less of the arcadey stuff.

I suppose it also depends on what game types you play. In CTF, most of the mines are floating around the enemy flag, and sometimes frustrating you around your own flag when you're trying to score, and in Dog Pile they're usually in the middle of the map where people are more likely to fly and thus run into them. I mostly play CTF, so I only have to worry about mines when, 1.) I'm going to pick up their flag or sometimes when I score at my base, or 2.) when I'm flying behind someone who has the flag and is trying to mine me off his tail. I've learned to deal with the first one. The second, not so much. :p

The chaos is what makes it fun. I don't find the game to be imbalanced at all since every weapon was carefully designed to not be gamebreaking.

On a side note, I have noticed several strange quirks in the online. For example, once I got into a game and it went straight from the pregame to the postgame lobby, with me having been killed 10 times even though I never actually got into the game. Another time I flew into the turret to man it and nothing happened. I continued to fly around picking up kills and when I was one short of the doghouse award, it showed me getting killed as if I was still in the turret.

Anyways, it's a very fun online experience except for the occasional aforementioned quirks and the host quitting out right before I pick up a win.

• 3 weeks later...