Is this game scarier than FEAR?

KemicalSupreme

Well,...I gotta be honest here. I own FEAR, but have only played MP. I haven't played the SP campaign. I never bothered with FEAR Files because I read all the reviews and they basically said it wasn't worth the trouble.(I usually don't trust reviews very much, but when so many sources say virtually the same thing...you kinda just pass on it.)

All that being said,...this game is truly scary, but for so many different reasons. The lighting is absolutely second to none. The graphics and art direction are the best I have seen...easily as good as Gears 1 and BioShock. The sound set the bar as far as I'm concerned. I simply cannot say enough good things about this game. I would suggest downloading all 5 developer diaries on the XBLM as soon as you can. While watching them you will realize just how much this game was a labor of love for the whole team. They focused so much on the little things. It's the best game I've played this year...better than GTA, NG 2, UT 3, R6V2, and on and on.

Scary game...but you should be more afraid of NOT playing it and missing out!

Considering FEAR wasn't scary, I'd say the answer is yes. Dead Space uses sound and visuals in a way I've not experienced in a while. There is a perpetual sense of dread and anxiety and, if you thought FEAR was scary, you will jump many times over the course of the game.

Not to mention the fact that in FEAR, you are a super-soldier with an arsenal rivaling many developing nations. In Dead Space, you are an engineer armed with mining equipment, in the middle of space. So there's that, too. :)

Honestly...I think F.E.A.R. scared me more consistently, however Dead Space is a better game. My only issue with Dead Space's style is that I grew accustomed to it, thus softening the blows a little.

That being said, Dead Space is still creepy as all hell. Play it in the dark.

I liked FEAR better. Just because it was a paranormal type game and I just find those scarier because the scare-factor is always there instead of triggered by scripts. Like comparing Silent Hill to Resident Evil, both are phenominal entries in the genre but two completely different kinds of fear, one is fun fear (like you look for in a horror movie), and one is subconscious fear (which is more nerve-wracking than enjoyable, but definitely makes you feel alive).

• 3 years later...

I thought FEAR was garbage. Didn't find it scary at all. Thought it was kinda corny too. Did not enjoy it or find it at all interesting. Regarding the story, I found the Dead Space story and characters to be more realistic and down to earth (just some engineer in the wrong place at the wrong time, trying to survive) than FEAR (some lame ass story about super soldiers working for some top secret paranormal investigation branch of the government... corny and lame in my opinion). Being just some normal guy in the wrong place in the wrong time adds to that sense of realism and fear.

Dead Space, on the other hand, had my heart pounding constantly. And it was extremely disturbing on many levels. And I found it much, much funner. No matter how many times you play through the game, you seem to want to just play through again and again (even if you have 100% achievements!). FEAR had me bored and completely not interested after only a few levels.

Just my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Its more of a rush, especially on the hardest difficulty. Just like every other horror game on this console, I would say wear a headset. It makes it scarier and trust me..playing games like this with a headset on, in the dark, its pure horror. Unless you have a surround sound system...played Dead Space at my uncles...holy fuck..the surround sound was intense. :3

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Considering Dead Space is about as scary as a kitten, I'm going to guess that no, it's not scarier than FEAR. Mind you I haven't played FEAR, but it's hard to imagine something being less scary than Dead Space.

If Dead Space came out today, the internet would universally pan it for being PewDieBait. Nothing but absolutely boring loud noise jump scares. Maybe if the enemies didn't have the dumbest, goofiest designs I've ever seen, and maybe if they didn't die in 4-5 shots even on Impossible mode (or if ammo wasn't so plentiful), there might actually be something to afraid of. Instead, it's just a pretty boring third person shooter.

EDIT: And maybe if every gun didn't double as a flashlight, and/or maybe if aiming your gun to use the flashlight had a negative effect on you. When aiming you move the exact same speed as when you aren't aiming, and the field of view is so terrible when not aiming that the slight zoom in when you do aim barely reduces your "peripheral vision". So there's never any reason not to always be aiming in dark areas, or anywhere else really. They should have not given every gun a light, and made your field of view much greater when not aiming so aiming made you see a lot less of the surrounding area, and made you move slower when aiming.

Sadly, my quest for a real survival horror game continues. To anyone else looking for the same, don't waste your time with Dead Space.

Edited by mjc0961

• 2 weeks later...
Considering Dead Space is about as scary as a kitten, I'm going to guess that no, it's not scarier than FEAR. Mind you I haven't played FEAR, but it's hard to imagine something being less scary than Dead Space.

If Dead Space came out today, the internet would universally pan it for being PewDieBait. Nothing but absolutely boring loud noise jump scares. Maybe if the enemies didn't have the dumbest, goofiest designs I've ever seen, and maybe if they didn't die in 4-5 shots even on Impossible mode (or if ammo wasn't so plentiful), there might actually be something to afraid of. Instead, it's just a pretty boring third person shooter.

EDIT: And maybe if every gun didn't double as a flashlight, and/or maybe if aiming your gun to use the flashlight had a negative effect on you. When aiming you move the exact same speed as when you aren't aiming, and the field of view is so terrible when not aiming that the slight zoom in when you do aim barely reduces your "peripheral vision". So there's never any reason not to always be aiming in dark areas, or anywhere else really. They should have not given every gun a light, and made your field of view much greater when not aiming so aiming made you see a lot less of the surrounding area, and made you move slower when aiming.

Sadly, my quest for a real survival horror game continues. To anyone else looking for the same, don't waste your time with Dead Space.

And here we have the perfect example of a "tryhard." This person is so concerned with convincing everyone that he's really tough and not scared at all by a video game that he ignored the fact that he was playing an excellent, excellent game. Instead of defining greatness by whatever extremely narrow standards you've created for the genre in which you want this game to be, why don't you just take what you get and analyze the experience critically. I could watch the movie "The Thing" and decide that it didn't hit the same notes of alien horror as "Alien," and therefore is a bad movie. Or I could watch it without preconceived expectations and realize that it's an extraordinary film.