Hu Lao Gate (Lu Bu side) on Chaos

muters

I'm really struggling to see how this is possible, and I don't want to do all the easier stages on Chaos then find I can't do this one. I'm using lvl.50 SSX with a weapon with Flash and Ice. I also have a rare Steel Hoof horse.

There are so many officers that bunch together, and they surround themselves with so many peons, that I can't get close enough to hit an officer (even with a bow) without having to stand in the middle of a load of infantry, who invariably hit me in the back.

So far I can clear out all the enemies from Hu Lao gate, but even with having Infinite Renbu, a Steel Hoof horse to trample over everyone, and Specials, and trying my damnedest to kill everyone as quickly as I can, by the time we charge to Dong Zhuo's camp Lu Bu will have lost half his health. So even if I can keep myself alive, surely Lu Bu's going to die before the stage ends.

Please, any advice?

I'm having problems with this stage as well man. I'm trying some different tactics and each is yeilding a similar failure. I tried using Lu Bu myself and that works ok, but any slight error means certain death. I can't maintain my luck for long enough to pass the entire stage. I can make it to the part where all the enemies start storming the first stronghold, but eventually one of the officers gets a cheap shot on me and I die.

I have also done the map in two player with myself using SSX and my kid using Lu Bu with similar results. Once we get to the first stronghold after repelling the attacks on the north and south side of Hu Lao Gate, eventually one of the officers gets the better of us. A really bad side of this method is that the enemies just pop up right in front of us because there's too much on screen. So they appear and cheap shot us before we have a chance to react. I tried using SSX by myself, but Lu Bu dies in about 30 seconds so I haven't had much success with that either.

I'm wondering if I should go with Lu Bu on single player and just try to stay on my horse instead of ground-fighting. I'm also in the same boat as I've only cleared 2 stages on Chaos and it will be pointless to do more if I can't pass this one. :( (going in order anyways)

I've thought about using Lu Bu too, but with how much the officers and their troops bunch together, I don't think I could even get close to an officer without someone hitting me (and taking 1/5 of my health in one shot)

The only tactic that seems to be working at all so far is to use a Steel Hoof horse and just keep trampling through everyone, to try to disperse the crowds, chip away each officer's health and keep knocking them over so they can't overpower Lu Bu, but all it takes is one hit and I get knocked off and hopelessly juggled.

It's frustrating, because no stage comes even close to being as hard as this one, so if I can beat it I'm sure I can do the rest.

I will probably be trying throughout the week, so If I manage to pass it I'll post my method here. It just sucks that you can do everything perfectly and then make one error and it will be your last. lol I'll try your horsetrampling method as well and give you the results of that. Try using a horse with the lightning element, I'm sure that will help you as well.

My main problem is that my SSX doesn't have a great weapon to use. I want something that has Ice, True Musuo and Flash but I don't have any weapons like that for her. I've got one that has Flash, but it's like 74 power and has the element powering skill on it. My normal weapon has 84 power, true musuo, air wave, and concentration which is a bad weapon for Chaos. I shouldn't be so stubborn, I should just go try to get a better weapon on another stage but I'm bad about stuff like that. lol

Oh man, that's cheap. I got all the way up to where the main generals respawn, then got absolutely dogpiled. I was killing them as quickly as I could by trampling everyone, and drove off four generals, but there were so many officers, lieutenants and peons that Lu Bu went from 2/3 health to dead in about a minute. It's not even as if I could race ahead and pick them off before Lu Bu reaches them, they all spawn around him when he gets to the south-west point on the map.

Hope you have better luck, I'm not sure I can be bothered myself. :(

I finally did it, and that's pretty much the tactic I used. ^^

It really helps to play as Lu Bu, you can control the flow of battle a lot more and your troops will generally follow you wherever you go, giving you time to retreat and regain your health if needed. Other than that, I just kept plowing through everyone with my Steel Hoof horse, building up my Musuo bar, then whenever an enemy officer had enough space around them I'd get off and hit them with a True Musuo attack, which usually killed them if I used the whole bar.

Basically, the key is to stay on horseback for as long as possible. The worst thing that can happen is you get knocked off, but if you're quick to hit Musuo you can clear the area and run away.

At least that's the hard part out of the way now. :)

I finally passed it as well. Wow, that was intense!! I used Lu Bu as well and this is how I did it. Basically my tactics were similar to yours, I stayed on my horse which wasn't anything special. It had Musuo spirit on it which regenerated my special move as I rode. I trampled as many enemies as I could and when my bar was full, I'd jump off and hit everyone with a wave of death, then get back on my horse to regen my musuo and refill on health at the base right outside Hu Lao gate and my main camp.

Once the initial wave was wiped out, I just stayed at that base and held them off one-by-one. Eventually they stopped coming so I advanced and took all the bases with Zhang Liao and Diao Chan. After killing Dong Zhuo and Zhang Jiao I took the last gate and went for Cao Cao, but everyone respawned. That's when things got really ugly. I hopped into the crowd and used my tome to reak havoc on the masses. I was able to pick up another tome and a few musuo wines to keep it going.

Eventually when I was completely spent, I started falling back to bases to restore health. They kept coming and pushed me all the way back to Hu Lao gate again. Zhang Liao finally fell in battle with about 6 officers left on the other side. I lost the final base and took down 3 more officers. Then I got another tome and killed 2 of the remaining ones. With only 1 officer left, Diao Chan fell in battle leaving me alone. Lu Bu freaked out and I did my musuo on the final officer to clear the toughest map I've every played. lol It was totally epic!!

i cant beat him on easy what am i doing wrong

Your issue is not related to this thread. This discussion is about clearing all stages on Chaos difficulty, particulary Hu Lao Gate (Lu Bu's forces) which is a 5 bar stage.

Your issue seems to be beating Lu Bu, which is quite difficult to people new to the series. Basically you are supposed to avoid Lu Bu on this stage (Allied forces side/ any difficulty) Just beat the boss to end the stage. If you simply must fight him, take a character in FREE MODE who is stronger than level 30 and fight him like that.

A tactic I found that might work or help people on this stage that I figured out on EASY mode works for...well at least 2 players. When playing on EASY, I bolted to the end of the level after killing Sun Quan and liu bei to the respawn point. Both of them respawned. HOWEVER!! After that point, any of the generals I killed never respawned. Meaning? If your on two player, one can fend off the gate and kill one of the generels while the 2nd makes a mad dash to the end. It works on EASY mode....will it work on CHAOS? I'm not sure, but I'll try this weekend when I can get a 2nd player.

On another funny failed attempt, here's what happened

Played as liu bei-

Was able to wipe out and repel the first swarm within 5 minutes by letting my life go down to the point where my musou was buliding up. Then got killed off by a peon I chased to kill that turned around and whacked me...dumb meter 11 out of 10

Ugh, I really really really don't like this stage, and I don't have anyone who plays this game around me to try using a 2 person tactic. This might just be enough to make me not get the full 1000, but I doubt it. Thanks to everyone for the tips, I'll be trying ALL of them over the next couple of days and hopefully join myself in the "All Chaos Cleared" club

Ugh, I really really really don't like this stage, and I don't have anyone who plays this game around me to try using a 2 person tactic. This might just be enough to make me not get the full 1000, but I doubt it. Thanks to everyone for the tips, I'll be trying ALL of them over the next couple of days and hopefully join myself in the "All Chaos Cleared" club

Good luck dude, this was one of the toughest stages I've had to pass on a video game in a long time. Simply because the slightest error results in a game over screen, you've really got to be perfect. I've got to suggest using Lu Bu even though most people steer clear of him while passing Chaos mode. I'd hate to have to babysit him if I was using a different character. While using Lu Bu, your fail condition is Gao Shun who sits back behind Hu Lao gate safely. As long as you clear the initial swarm and then take that first stronghold, the enemies will never get near Hu Lao gate so it's all up to you staying alive. Better than worrying about yourself AND the commander. Make sure you've got a good horse and weapon before even attemption. Avoid weapons with Berserk and Concentration. Basically you have to have Flash and True Musuo on the weapon as well.

And for god sakes make sure you have a tome saved up for when the bosses respawn, you should get one every 300 kills. Try to fight from atop Red Hare if you have him unlocked as well. It was extremely satisfying passing this stage. ;)

So far, I've failed this stage 5 times with Zhuge Liang....manage to stop the initial swarm at the gates, clear out everything along the way, then the respawn wave comes....been making progress, but I usually screw up (or cough, sneeze, blink, etc) and get nailed by one of the generals. Not sure "how", but last night, I had them all chasing me and basically ignoring Lu Bu....if only he was smart enough to hit 'em in the back....

• 1 month later...

Phew...just beat this level today. I didn't have as much trouble as I figured I would by the looks of this topic so I'll show you my strategy, it took me around 5 tries total, probably 3 were dumb mistakes and new errors.

Quick tips:

1. If you aren't patient, you will not win, you have to be on your toes the ENTIRE time especially at the end of the level.

2. I used SSX, the first time I tried Lu Bu, I lost right when I first met Sun Quan...

3. I used a good horse with nearly perfect stats but my weapon was about 82 with Flash and another ability that was probably useless.

Basic strategy:

Ok first, start off killing Sun Quan and then right after you kill him, forget the generals in that area and take out Liu Bei, after that, stay around the castle and kill every general. The idea is to get Lu Bu to follow because I ran to the end on my 1st and 2nd try and he would die right when I got to everyone coming back.

Follow Lu Bu, he will usually always head for a base and you want to take EVERY base. My winning run started off badly because my bases got taken back over but we ran back and managed to take them. Not to mention they are great for health. Run through the level destroying every general and base. If you need health, run to a base that you took over or find one of those big pots. Follow this basic strategy to beat the level.

Fighting tips:

I used SSX and any time I would find a general, I would stampede with my horse until musou will full then I would jump off and unleash my musou. SPIN around when using your musou, don't just focus on the general, people from behind will gather up and kill you right when you finish.

If you health is even 75%, get out of any fighting spots, use the dodge roll to maneuver through enemies and you can make it out very easily SSX also has sprint which is very helpful. Just run and call your horse, he will catch up to you and you can jump on without enemies right behind you.

On the last part of the level, if you followed Lu Bu enough and helped him out, he should have over half health (when I won, he had about 75%) so he really isn't a big worry. Run in circles, get health do anything to stall and get the main generals in a group, make sure you have 1, preferably 2 tomes and unleash them right in the center of the group followed by a musou and repeat. When you run out, get on your horse by the dodge method and repeat with just the musou or the tome if you found one. The generals should be dead by that time and you can pick off any lone soldiers.

Patience definately is key, the level took me about 45 minutes to complete on my winning run because I was cautious and payed close attention, it's really not too hard.

Hope this mini-guide helps :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My **** and alot of other cursewords :p, i dont know how many tries i had on that stage but im sure it numbered close to a 100. Me and a friend finally nailed it on chaos me using yue jin and my friend lu bu. Found that to be the greatest combo in characters. It was the most difficult stage in my opinion and was ofcourse saved to last :p But the games is so great and the challenge was worth it.

• 1 month later...

i think yue ying is better than ssx because she have a better skill tree and a tome at the start.

Still i cant seem to finish this stage even with a Weopon of 88 power(skill)fire element+flash+mystical seal+arrow sight+renbu spirit and a red hare king with musou spirit+renbu gait+wind spirit. Lu Bu is weak and doesnt help. So is Diao Chan. They just charge in the middle of the enemy and get in trouble. If you stick to Lu Bu then the rest of ur army get defeated really quick. i usually at the end when they all come back. That is so gay:mad:

I cant do coop cause none of my friend play this game:(

• 2 months later...

finnally got a friend to play it with me.

I was yue ying and he was lu bu.

He was a noob so i told him to stay on the horse and keep pressing y.

i was down to only Cao Cao left but my friend think he is a tank and got of the horse and got pawn in 4 hit.

even though i got a good idea.

You need a second controller. choose either SSX or YY for urself and choose LuBu with the other controller. @ start of the battle run Lu Bu to the corner of the castle.

Now you dont have to worry about anyone dying but urself.

Edit: Screw wat i said about.

all you need is max out zhuge liang, a weopon with flash and a horse with musou spirit.

At the start of the battle head down to south gate there should be an item that give you full musou and genbu. Then all you do is use ur musou on ur horse. it is extreamly easy to aim( way easier than ssx or yy musou.) and you can take base just by using ur fire special. You need to stick with Lu Bu or use a second controller like i said.

His special is also really useful at the end when they all reapear. You lure them to a base then use ur special they should be all on low health then ur allies can finnish them off.

I tried this just then. However my Xbox couldnt take when everyone reappear and bunch up in one base. It freeze.(since i was playing all day trying to lv all my character.)Even though i not piss of or angry cause i know you can finish it pretty easy now.

Edited by haipham

• 1 month later...

Omg from what people have been saying this level is hard! I haven't tried this on Chaos yet and reading what everyone has said about it is making me even more apprehensive!

One im having trouble at the moment is Xia Pi (Wei side, I haven't tried any other sides on that map) I use Sun Shang who has air wave, flash and another skill that I forget. My horse (the best one I have) only has an attack of 457 and skill of renbu gait and find weapon (the horses affinity is ice). Does anyone know of a level where I can farm for items and horses and also what difficulty I should play it on?

Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys,

I just did Hu Lao Gate - Lu Bu's Forces on Chaos Difficulty first time, I read a couple of tips and I thought i'd just share how I did it :)

I was using a maxed Lu Bu, so I didn't have to baby sit him and get us both killed very quickly. I haven't farmed many weapons with my Lu Bu just yet, I was using...

Weapon

Demon Bane - Strength

Power - 88

Effects - Air Wave, True Musou, Arrow Sight and Flash.

Horse

Shadow Runner King

Speed - 493

Jump - 500

Destruction - 500

Attack - 499

Skills - Find Saddle, Find Weapon, Musou Spirit and Stone Spirit. I wish it had Renbu Gait instead of one of the Find's but oh well, it has pretty good stats and decent skills so I wont complain :)

At the start I charged over the wall, ran around bashing X and Y trying to quickly charge my musou, didn't take long. After it was charged, hop off the horse/stay on the horse and find some generals and musou them, hopefully Flash will kill one or two in the same musou, as soon as you finish the bar, run away, any direction where there are no enemies. Then I would call my horse and run around bashing buttons again til full, repeat until the first wave is over.

After this a series of generals disband from their leaders and come charging for you, I advise taking the base closest to the gate, then run between these to fill your hp, this first bit took me around 40 minutes using a wimpy tactic. Any time you get low on HP run and refil, leave any generals and run for your life, your allies should follow after a few seconds.

After a while the generals stop attacking so frequently, this is your chance, don't move for a while and let your allies, and yourself get some much needed HP back, i'm pretty sure they recover when not in combat.

After this, the fun begins, take the central bases slowly, recovering your hp after each if you need it, using musou and running as before. You will then want to prepare, get full HP, your allies will probably die in the next fight so don't worry about them too much. Charge your musou quickly and then head out and trigger the ambush. As soon as you have done this, head to the closest general, and use your musou while MOUNTED, when it's done run away and bash until you're full, and repeat, this will be very tough as they follow you everywhere and will hurt you a lot if you're not careful.

After about 15 minutes of running around musouing every chance you get, running back to bases and healing etc, you should be pretty close to victory. While you were preoccupied with the main generals, a small band which for me included Liu Bei charge towards the main camp, as long as you have at least one gate still standing you have time, after dispatching the final general in the cluster, charge back to base, stopping at any bases that haven't been taken back for any HP you might need.

When you're back at the camp, use the same tactic, never leaving your horse, running around and spamming buttons, then musou when you can.

I advise using the Shadow Runner King as the Stone Spirit effect means you will NEVER get knocked off your horse, use the specials you pick up throughout when you need them, they can help you out of a tight spot :)

There is no guarentee this will work, I came pretty close to dying several times and by sheer LUCK survived and managed this brutal level on my first attempt :) In total it took around 75 minutes to complete I think, some of you may say "Z0mg wut tuk u so lng?"!"£$^."... To that I say...Good for you, did you do it first time XD

It might also be worth noting, there is a horse crate in the South East of the map, on top of a ridge overlooking the central base, don't get it unless you're not being chased.

Hope this helps someone out there, this is possible on 1 player no matter how wimpy a tactic it is :p Any questions, feel free to ask :):)

Edit - 2 Achievments left to 100%...Maxing all characters and Chaos mode scenarios should be umm...Fun?

Edited by TFB x WeeMan

• 1 month later...

I finally beat this piece of shit board after 6 hours of trying. I used zhung liang because his special and musou are by far the most powerful. Just stay close to Lu Bu the whole time and you will eventually beat the board , patience is the key for this level. All of the other 6 bar levels are a joke compared to this one. I will definately have the chaos mode achievement very soon. Thanks to everyone's advice on this thread and to geist for writing such a helpful guide for this game. Good Luck to anyone trying to beat this board , it will drive you nuts!!!