FAQs and Information Thread [*Spoilers*]

DarkReign2021

I knew I signed up to twitter for a reason :)

Danny Clayton (A supposed voice actor in H4) has just posted this regarding his role.....

(Hopefully its the right size and everyone can read..)

For anyone who cant view the screenshot, he talks of a 'Swamp Marine'.

Anyone got any idea what/who they are? Does this mean UNSC may come to MC's aid in H4? Or maybe soldiers who landed on the planet earlier than MC?

EDIT: An earlier tweet from Clayton reads as follows:

"Geeked out in a BIG way today. Doing voice overs for characters in #Halo4 @oakleyAus_NZ"

With the tweet below appearing a few hours later

Edited by n1ck3sixty

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't surprise me if some Marines were sent out to the distress beacon Cortana deployed at the end of Halo 3. John's been in cryo for 4 years, 7 months, and 10 days. So it could be a possibility that the Covenant discovered the beacon before the Marines and beat them to it in an untimely fashion. Never heard of "Swamp Marines" though. Darn ONI, keeping secrets from us.

Hmm... nothing on "Swamp Marines" in the database. The closest relation to swamp in the Halo series is the level 343 Guilty Spark, but we already have a confirmed list of KIA and survivors from Installation 04. The way he refers to himself as Swamp Marine 1 would also suggest that it has nothing to do with any past elements in the series since it's such a vague title whereas key characters usually have an established name (though Halo has always done a good job giving even fodder marines names. He's probably just doing it to be careful.) I would guess that they aren't going to use unique individual voice actors for every soldier in the game, however, so for this Danny Clayton to be a voice actor for a "swamp" marine, I would guess it's less to do with a specific marine in a specific 'swampy' segment of the game. Seems more likely that Swamp would be an acronym or moniker of some sort. Kind of like ODST or Helljumper. The question is what could SWAMP be referring to... perhaps a specialty squad (like ODST) that specialize in 'on the ground' Reconnaissance or 'behind enemy lines' discreet sabotage.

We already know that Infinity is going to play a role in Halo 4, however, so ONI and the UNSC will definitely maintain a presence in the trilogy to some unknown degree. Infinity is stocked almost entirely with Spartan IV's, however, so I don't know if the presence of a basic marine (or even an ODST) would really be warranted. We do still have the possibility of the Spirit of Fire being stranded out there somewhere (I'm not letting that go until somebody from 343 tells me it's not happening to my face!) and I remember hearing a rumor from a while back where somebody claimed to have seen an early showing of the game and mentioned Humans that were already established on the world and had some advanced technology fused with their weapons and vehicles (Warthogs with anti-gravity propulsion and such.) Granted it's not much to go on, but if it does have any truth to it that could explain the presence of the marines as well as the possible need for a moniker like "Swamp Marine" (which would suggest meaning they had been "living off the land" or something along those lines.)

I'm probably over-thinking everything, but it beats missing something.

Again, Twitter has prevailed!!

Found this http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/jun/04/e3-2012-halo-4-interview

All of it looks like info we already know, but this section:

"We have the Spartan Ops story mapped out, at least loosely, for a few years. The first season is very rigid at this point and we know where this story goes. If it's successful, if people enjoy it, we have a narrative arc that can last for years, with a known beginning, a middle and an end."

A MP storyline that could last a few years??!!

Although the 1st Episode will be free (im guessing it will be packaged with the game as standard?) somewhere else in the article they say the other episodes will need to be purchased.....

Will certainly be interesting to see how it all goes....

I take "a few years" to mean that Spartan Ops will be continue (be imported) into Halo 5, rather than giving Halo 4 a extra long shelf life (not that I wouldn't want that).

That narrative arc stuff is really awesome. I hope you can play the episodes as you want though (like episode one is available forever, isn't just erased/replaced by episode two when that comes out) since I'll be completely immersed in the campaign for the first two weeks.

I'm finding it hard to find another game to compare the SpartanOps content to. It seems like really really quickly released episodic content dlc, which no game that I've ever played has/had. Not that I was aware of anyway.

I'm really interested to see the explosion of content that happens when the E3 news drops - I'm at work all day but can still check the forums on my phone every now and then until I get home and watch the DVR'd conference

Edited by Vectorman953

Frankie has already confirmed that the episodic Spartan Ops Content will not cost extra. It is included as part of the original $60 package. Whether or not this encompasses the entire lifespan of the title or perhaps just one story of a set is yet to be determined, but at any rate we will have enough free content to keep the game active for some time after release. We will at least get to complete one storyline free of charge.

I'm pretty sure the same article mentioned that Spartan Ops episodes will not simply disappear once the next one goes live. The entire season will be available to late comers.

After watching one of the videos posted on this site (link) but the Spartan Ops video seemed to me like a glorified version of firefight. Not that I'm complaining, I think it'll be great fun. Probably my most played mode after beating campaign a few times.

What I am ready to complain about is how the multiplayer is turning out.

(Detailed here)

Killstreak ordinance drops? No thanks.

Thruster-Teleport? Nah.

Passive perks? We'll see.

But god to those menus (in the IGN link, the third/last video) look friggin sexy.

Edited by Vectorman953

I think they're doing a great job.

First of all: I was kinda sick of Halo enemies. These new robot/forerunners thingy got me excited.

The removal of armor lock. It's pretty good, since to many people were complaining about it.

They replaced it with that shield. TOUCHÉ 343

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New information released from ExpertZone. Nothing really major, but it gives us some concrete minor details (whether they're good or bad is a different story.)

http://www.littleenglishhaloblog.com/2012/06/new-halo-4-info-blowout-via-expertzone.html

Summarized:

Panel 1: Halo is the next big epic adventure set for this Holiday season. (Duh? We already knew this.)

Panel 2: Recaps how epic and awesome Halo is (Did they really feel it was necessary to tell us this?)

Panel 3: Timeline recapping the release of all past Halo titles and bragging about how well they all did (though it's sad to see a steady decline in sales after Halo 3.)

Panel 4: Explains that you're continuing as the Master Chief after the events of Halo 3. (Because we totally didn't already know this.)

Panel 5: New enemy, mysterious new world, Chief finally has a true nemesis, Can Cortana be trusted? (Cortana has gone batshit crazy. I wonder just how prominent this will be throughout the campaign. Could make for some interesting discussions between her and John.)

Panel 6: 10 new weapons, 2 new vehicles and the return of old classics, restates battling against new enemies and an ancient evil (Only 2 new vehicles? Kinda sad for going up against the advanced and superior Forerunners. At least we get some new weapons out of the bunch even though we've already seen at least 4 of them.)

Panel 7: Campaign is upping immersion levels. Mentions something about calling your friends to brag (because my friends totally want me calling them to spoil moments of the game that they might not have experience yet. Those are called spoilers.)

Panel 8: Details War Games. Improved Accessibility, career progression to unlock weapons and equipment, better matchmaking, drop in and out of matches, able to search and create groups (sounds like Clan features are finally making a return. Haven't seen these since... what? Halo 2? About damn time. At least 343 knows what's smart. Effectively gives us a second Friends list exclusively for our Halo 4 buddies if my guess is right.)

Panel 9: Brand new Gametypes, 10 MP maps confirmed at launch, Specializations to enhance gameplay, more maps coming via DLC (Only 10 maps? I hope they don't get stale as quickly as the ones in Halo: Reach did. And they better not just be a bunch of Forge World maps. Speaking of which, have they even confirmed Forge yet? I don't think they have...)

Panel 10: Mentions Spartan Ops. Confirms 5 missions a week and 10 weeks of missions planned for Season 1. Absolutely free. Braggingly asks "how many games give you free DLC for 10 weeks?" (Sounds like Season 1 will be free, but they'll most likely charge for seasons after that. Hopefully the first one proves to be enjoyable enough to make more season worth owning. I'd prefer story-based DLC over map packs any day.)

Panel 11: Conclusion Details covering what we've learned (In short, another whole panel detailing how amazing Halo 4 will be and how much other games wish they could be it. If you read between the lines, 343 is giving BO2 the finger the entire time. Probably hocked a couple loogies while they were at it.)

Yeah, the only thing that I was really able to take away from the pamplet was the "two new vehicals" and how the Spartan Ops will work.

The way I see it, Spartan Ops is going to operate like firefight matches with short cutscenes, or vocal/voice-over blurbs explaining why you're there... Hopefully the campaign/story content matches up with the fun-levels (of course it will be fun) so that I'd actually feel like i was getting something when I immediately pay for it. I don't care if it's just a squad exploring where the books won't go - I just want it to actually be canon.

As for the vehicles, I really highly doubt they'd have a forerunner/promethean vehicle. Seeing as how the species seems to get around just fine by itself. I do expect the yearly upgrade to the covie car that caries a driver, turret, and the two side passengers. There's always one of those...

Edit: One thing that really resonated with me was that the infopacket described that this was the first time that teh masta chef was going to have a true/singular antagonist/nemesis. Which I believe to be the didact, but we shall see.

Edited by Vectorman953
Editing contains iron, iron helps me play.

Yeah, the only thing that I was really able to take away from the pamplet was the "two new vehicals" and how the Spartan Ops will work.

The way I see it, Spartan Ops is going to operate like firefight matches with short cutscenes, or vocal/voice-over blurbs explaining why you're there... Hopefully the campaign/story content matches up with the fun-levels (of course it will be fun) so that I'd actually feel like i was getting something when I immediately pay for it. I don't care if it's just a squad exploring where the books won't go - I just want it to actually be canon.

As for the vehicles, I really highly doubt they'd have a forerunner/promethean vehicle. Seeing as how the species seems to get around just fine by itself. I do expect the yearly upgrade to the covie car that caries a driver, turret, and the two side passengers. There's always one of those...

Edit: One thing that really resonated with me was that the infopacket described that this was the first time that teh masta chef was going to have a true/singular antagonist/nemesis. Which I believe to be the didact, but we shall see.

It refers to the true Nemesis as being "an ancient evil." Depending on what perspective you look at it, it could be the Didact or something completely different. Although by the standards of humanity the Didact would be considered ancient, the Forerunner novels have persistently referred to ancient enemies in regards to Precursors, the Timeless One, Graveminds, etc... so stating it's an ancient evil is subjective to what frame of mind they're approaching from.

Same thing goes with 'Evil'. Even though the Forerunner and Humanity seem to be at odds with one another, I've never expressly heard the Forerunner referred to as 'Evil.' As of this point in the Forerunner trilogy, the Didact and Librarian are still avid supporters of Humanity, so the certainty of the Didact is blurry at best. He may very well take a turn in Silentium, but no signs have pointed to him being the next nemesis outside of him being the most seemingly capable antagonist against the likes of the Chief.

i dont understand how all of you can complain have you played it, more than likely no so seriously everyone thought halo 2 was gonna suck and there was no beta, but no everyone compares all the multiplayer of halo to halo 2 so quit complaining and wait for the game to come out

It's only 1.5 million, but even still that's not too bad for an HD remake. When you consider Halo: CE isn't that old, the original still works on the 360, it lacked the original multiplayer component, and it's $30 cheaper than the anniversary, really breaking Platinum is an impressive feat in itself. It saw more success than most of the HD remakes that have 3 or 4 games included like DMC and MGS.

It refers to the true Nemesis as being "an ancient evil." Depending on what perspective you look at it, it could be the Didact or something completely different. Although by the standards of humanity the Didact would be considered ancient, the Forerunner novels have persistently referred to ancient enemies in regards to Precursors, the Timeless One, Graveminds, etc... so stating it's an ancient evil is subjective to what frame of mind they're approaching from.

Same thing goes with 'Evil'. Even though the Forerunner and Humanity seem to be at odds with one another, I've never expressly heard the Forerunner referred to as 'Evil.' As of this point in the Forerunner trilogy, the Didact and Librarian are still avid supporters of Humanity, so the certainty of the Didact is blurry at best. He may very well take a turn in Silentium, but no signs have pointed to him being the next nemesis outside of him being the most seemingly capable antagonist against the likes of the Chief.

I was thinking that the precursors/timeless one could be the main antagonist, it's really the emblem at the end of the trailer that points me towards the Didact. I do acknowledge that the Didact would have to make a 180-turn on his stance on humans, but maybe Chakas scorns him in Silentium somehow? I dunno. Under any respect, the Timeless One is more ancient, would allow for a flood-return in Halo 5, and would easily be a threat large enough to span a trilogy.

Another thought I had recently was that the antagonist could be a 343 Guilty Spark-esque monitor that is deploying all of these promethean security forces. I don't think this is the answer though since this doesn't provide a true antagonist.

Wow... you guys have shockingly low standards for Halo 4. I'm not entirely sure why, since everything I've seen has seemed really good so far, except for no beta. The killstreaks actually seem fair, and yeah, there's no firefight, but that doesn't matter. The firefight was so boring in Reach that I have no real desire to ever play it again.

As long as the campaign's good and they actually improve upon custom games, Halo 4 will be great.

Actually Spartan Ops effectively is Firefight. It just has cutscenes and storyline to it now. But I agree, I'm not crying that Firefight is gone. ODST had fun firefight because of it's randomness, but Reach was too structured and stale. Sending enemy waves by race made no sense and failed to emulate true Covenant encounters. Halo 4's Spartan Ops mode will be much better.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.destructoid.com/sdcc-assassinations-get-hardcore-in-halo-4-231404.phtml

SDCC: Assassinations get hardcore in Halo 4

Halo 4 will see the return of Assassinations, but 343 is adding a little more to the feature depending on what multiplayer mode you're playing. During the Halo 4 panel at Comic-Con, 343 showed off a Capture the Flag specific Assassination where the player slammed his opponent into the ground, and then finished him off by driving the flag pole through his chest. It should also be noted that the flag carrier was dual wielding a pistol. Yes, flag in left hand and pistol in the right hand. Finally.

Next we were shown an Oddball Assassination. The player character was running behind an opponent who was charging at a teammate holding the Oddball. The teammate then threw the Oddball to the player, and from there the player proceeded to Assassinate the enemy soldier by uppercutting him with the Oddball. The Oddball is like the Scattershot, thus instantly disintegrating the guy.

The way the Oddball was tossed looked like it was actually passed to the player like it was a basketball too. 343 wasn't saying anything beyond what was shown, but hopefully this means Oddball/Grifball type games will let players make real passes now.