Subscriber Spotlight - March 2013

jackanape

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/guides/0-subspotlight.jpg

Hello again friends (and enemies - I WILL FIGHT YOU!) it's time once again to come and sit on old uncle jackanapes knee and let him regale you with some magical stories of yesteryear.

........psh, that sounds dull as all holy hell, right? So screw that idea. Plus, I'm hella lazy and have no intention of wasting my fine speaking voice (I'm English, so therefore speak like a true gentleman) on you ingrates.

Instead I decided to pick one of our fine tenants from the loony bin.....I mean WONDEROUS Subscriber boards (make sure you are well armed if you ever visit that place - it's where Method was last seen) and let them tell you how awesome they and, by extension, we are.

Hurray for that.

Our oddball today is none other than

Tatanko, who sounds just enough like a former wrestler that I can envisage nothing else, so let's find out the secrets of his success in the squared circle - or maybe some far less interesting stuff about games and whatnot. Bah!

Additional: Next month I'll be rejigging the questions and format a little bit - JUST BECAUSE I CAN - so hopefully we can probe people even more deeply than would be alien abductors.

What first brought you to x360a, and then what made you stick around and subscribe?

-I was brought to x360a looking for a guide for Oblivion clear back in 2007 when I first started playing on the 360. I liked it so much better than the official Xbox forums that I decided to stay. I've always been big into forums (particularly for cars) but this one has one of the best communities I've ever been fortunate enough to be a part of. I liked it here so much, and found the information here so useful, that I felt obligated to give back both monetarily as a subscriber and also help out other people on the forum.

How did you come up with your gamertag?

-My gamertag is something I've been using since I was about 5 years old (I'm 24 now). It was Japanese-inspired, however it isn't based on anything in particular. It's totally unique to me and the only results on Google for "Tatanko" besides me appear to be misspellings and results for the old school wrestler known as "Tatanka". Most people online call me "Tanko" because it's quicker and easier to say. If you're wondering how to pronounce it, I have always said "Tuh-tawn-koh" in real life, however everyone online has always mispronounced it "Tuh-taynk-oh" and it has kind of stuck.

Is the 360 your only current console? What others have sharpened your gaming skills over the years?

-I currently still have a PlayStation 2 at my home for "emergencies" (it's the only DVD player in the house besides my 360!), but I don't really play anything on it anymore. I haven't gotten into the PS3 enough to want to own one, even as a blu-ray player. My career began with an Atari back in 1989 (couldn't tell you which model), and then moved to the NES, SNES, N64/PS1, GameCube/PS2/Xbox, and now the 360. I've owned all of those consoles at one point or another and spent thousands upon thousands of hours playing them.

What is your gaming setup?

-I don't really have one particular setup. I game all over the place, so my 360 actually spends a lot of time in a carrying bag. I game on everything from a 24" 1080p TV at home, to a gigantic old 720p HDTV from like a decade ago, to my friend's 60" plasma. Those setups also include everything from god-awful built-in speakers to a full 8.1 surround sound system. Let's just say I'm adaptable.

When you're picking the next game to grace your console, do you go for game play or achievements first?

-Once upon a time I may have gone for achievements first, but nowadays I'm too busy to do anything but just enjoy a game for what it is. I don't worry about getting 100% anymore, I just try and do the best I can to get as many achievements as possible while playing the game. I do still definitely read guides and re-play games once in a while though.

Everyone has a 360 game they can't get enough of, what’s yours?

-Probably either Minecraft or the Battlefield series. Sometimes I take a break from both of them just so I don't get sick of them (hey, it can happen), but those two I consistently come back to no matter what else I happen to be playing. I love the intense action and grand scale of Battlefield games and who doesn't love Minecraft? I've lost days of my life creating things most other people will never see and I don't regret it one bit :p

And the game that makes you scream?

-The original F.E.A.R. nearly made me crap my pants a couple of times. That little girl had a way of popping up in the most random places and taking you off guard. Slightly more recently, but still an oldie, was Condemned: Criminal Origins. That game had more than a few moments where I was genuinely creeped out.

What achievement(s) are you most proud of?

-Well unlike some achievement hunters, I don't think I have anything particularly difficult to obtain. One I am proud of because it was so annoying is "If They Came to Hear Me Beg" from Halo Reach. It was kind of glitchy and just really tried your patience if you wanted to get it, and it was a very "AHA! Finally!" kind of moment when I got it.

We all know gaming goes on till the early morning. What do you eat and drink to keep the reflexes sharp all night?

-In my old days it would have been soda and junk food (chips, cheesy poofs, etc.). These days I'm a little healthier and also of legal drinking age, so I often have a beer or two or a rum & coke while I'm playing, otherwise it's just water or something else boring. Sometimes I'll have coffee to keep me up. I don't eat much while I play other than meals if I can't possibly pull myself away from playing.

You've played through a lot of games during that time. Out of all of the games you played, which was your favorite?

-My favorite game I've ever played on the 360 is probably Minecraft. It might not have the most play time of all my games, but it has to be up there, and I've had some really good times playing it with my friends over the last year. I don't even care about the achievements for it since those were out of the way very early on. Bastion also gets an honorable mention because the story and art for that game are just fantastic.

Well, there has to be a few games that you didn't like. Which ones were the worst?

-That Yaris game that was free on the Arcade years ago was terrible. Duke Nukem Forever was so bad that I couldn't bring myself to play more than 5 minutes of it after watching a friend play through 'til the end. Other than that, I tend not to play games that are questionable, so I've managed to avoid playing too many un-enjoyable games.

Everyone has their games that they just struggle with. Which games did your head in?

-Anymore I don't try to get 100% for most games, but there are to examples where I needed just one last achievement and to this day can't get them: Halo: ODST's "Vidmaster: Endure" and Modern Warfare 2's "Star 69". For "Endure", I actually met the requirements of the achievement probably 3 or 4 times with different groups of players and every single time somebody would get disconnected or quit right as I was about to get the achievement. I know I'm not the only one that was frustrated by that one. With "Star 69" I could just never beat one level on the hardest difficulty setting and psyched myself out of ever getting it :(

Not every game with quick points is easy to complete. Are there any games that you are giving up on?

-The only games I have given up on really are the two I just mentioned. To me, gaming should be all about fun, and if all I'm doing is frustrating myself trying to get a few points, it isn't worth it. There are plenty of games I don't have 100% on and that's okay, I would rather just enjoy myself.

What was the last thing you purchased on the arcade? Was it worth it?

-The last thing I actually spent money on was the second episode of The Walking Dead game. I haven't finished all the episodes for that yet, but totally worth the money. Very entertaining, even for somebody who does not watch the show like myself.

Which game(s) are you most eagerly awaiting?

-2013 isn't going to be a super exciting year of gaming for me, but I am looking forward to a few things besides the new console. Bioshock Infinite should be fun since I enjoyed the previous installments of that franchise, and I'm looking forward to Bungie's new game no matter which console it eventually debuts on.

If you were Admin of the site for a day, what would you do?!

-I wouldn't do anything differently than the current staff is doing. Things have improved on the site for the better lately and I think the current staff is doing a fantastic job of making the experience better for everyone.

Any closing remarks?

-I want to thank the x360a community for being so good to me over the years, and I want to thank all of you for taking the time to listen to my boring story ;)

Edited by jackanape

Guest Scotty

nice interview! i also came here first for oblivion help, but i never made an account, as i was a social outcast at the time(still am):p

also, regardless how you pronounce your name, you've always been 'the guy with the bullets' to me. i don't think i've ever seen you with a different avatar picture:)

also, regardless how you pronounce your name, you've always been 'the guy with the bullets' to me. i don't think i've ever seen you with a different avatar picture:)

What can I say? I'm consistent :p

To the comments about Bastion: I do very much like that game :) I play it as a browser game in Chrome all the time at work.

Guest Scotty
First all of you mispronounce my name, now I'm nothing more to you than "the dude with bullets as his avatar"?

You guys kill me :p

But they're very pretty bullets though:) and a little white ball thing...

Edited by Scotty

But they're very pretty bullets though:) and a little white ball thing...

That "little white ball thing" is actually a U.S. Quarter believe it or not...

http://www.wallsonline.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Machine-Gun-Bullets-Bullet-Coins-Military-Photography.jpg

Congratulations on the Spotlight! :D

Thanks! :)

Nice interview....I remember you from the MW2 forums....If I ever had a dust up with you it was probably my fault so sorry about that.

If my memory serves me correctly, we did in fact have a scuffle at one point. Probably over something incredibly stupid, I'm sure. But I do know that we got over it and have been on good terms ever since :D

This seems to be bringing all the Bastion fans out of the woodwork (me included).

All the better! That game deserves more attention than it got. I played the crap out of it, and it's one of my few Arcade 100% games.

I've seen a lot of the Spotlight threads but this was the first one I read through and actually enjoyed reading it. Maybe I'm growing up or something :p

The 69 stars aren't too hard if you play with a friend who knows the game. I'm glad to know a IRL friend who spent what 1700 hours on Modern Warfare 2 counting from the release date to the release of Black Ops. When we started playing those co-ops I had no clue what they were about. I was just following what he did and we did all of them in one day :p If you some day get the motivation to try it out again I'm wishing you good luck!

Incidentally, in my head I always pronounced your name tah-taynk-oh...

That's exactly how I pronounce it too :p or Tha-than-koo. Nice to see you have settled here well!

Good interview i have been reading these recently, and i must say they are interesting. To be honest i thought i was the only one that referred you as the "man with the bullets in his picture" :p. Now i know how to pronounce your name also! Its okay people have a hard time pronouncing mines also ( i dont know how)

• 2 months later...