Bioware Confirmed Dead

Merch

Today, BioWare co-founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk have announced they are retiring from BioWare. Both have written blogs to discuss their retirement – click HERE for Ray’s and click HERE for Greg’s. Please join us in wishing them all the best in the future. Also, Aaryn Flynn, General Manager of BioWare Edmonton & Montreal shares his thoughts about Ray and Greg and what is coming up for BioWare HERE.

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/18/ray-muzyka-greg-zeschuk-retire/

Goddamn EA.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

Edited by Merch

Greg is going into the craft beer industry. Great hobby to pursue! :)

Best of luck to both of them in their future endeavors. I don't think anyone remains from Bioware's glory days, except Hudson.

Think I'll go play some Baldur's Gate or NWN now...(can't wait for Project Eternity)

Edited by Echilion

Because they have a track record for buying and then killing successful devs.

See: Westwood, Bullfrog, Origin Systems, Pandemic, ect.

Or maybe back in the real world those two guys were ready to move on to the next part of their lives. They spent the last 8 years making Mass Effect and wanted to do something else. I love Mass Effect as much as anybody and will likely buy another game in the series but the truth is its best years are probably behind us. Fans develop a false sense of entitlement and think these guys should pump out more Mass Effect until they drop dead. Or they blame EA for everything.

Or maybe back in the real world those two guys were ready to move on to the next part of their lives. They spent the last 8 years making Mass Effect and wanted to do something else.

These guys never really worked on Mass Effect. Ray supervised all Bioware studios, Greg was working on the Star Wars MMO

^What he said. If you'd read their retirement blog posts, they say good things about EA.

Would you seriously expect them to slag off their ex-employer, on an EA run site of all places? They both sounded dissatisfied with their jobs, and Ray's post sounds like he wants to go back to running an independant dev. In the past EA midmanagement clashed with the established management in the acquired dev, I think the same thing happened here.

They do to the Bioware employees, considering that they worked with, trained, and we're friends with many people who still work there.

Related: here's a blog post from Dragon Age's lead designer on why he left. http://blog.brentknowles.com/2010/08/15/bioware-brent-year-10-fall-2008-summer-2009/

Edited by Merch

Or maybe back in the real world those two guys were ready to move on to the next part of their lives. They spent the last 8 years making Mass Effect and wanted to do something else. I love Mass Effect as much as anybody and will likely buy another game in the series but the truth is its best years are probably behind us. Fans develop a false sense of entitlement and think these guys should pump out more Mass Effect until they drop dead. Or they blame EA for everything.

We have had a trilogy of ME3 and to the most part enjoyed it. To keep churning out more ME titles would just degrade the whole story, because it becomes harder for them to keep things fresh for us. I would rather they concentrate on a new story/trilogy that they can lead us along where we see new ways of playing and interacting in a different setting.

For me this way I would leave the game with fond memories rather than disappointment with the inevitable let downs that would start to mount.

The thing is they said good things, instead of saying nothing at all. They have no reason to kiss their ass.

You're right. But saying nothing would actually be worse.

You don't say bad things in a departure message, even if you have something bad to say. Those come out later but for an outgoing goodbye at the time of departure you leave it positive and happy. Keep morale up and take the high road regardless of any bad blood.

See this all the time with departing VP's and Directors where I work, the shit hits the fan and they leave after a huge blowup with the CEO or Board, or they're taking the fall for some fuck up, or leave because they are just tired of being directed to do things differently than they intend and feel they should be. Or leave because simply it's time to move on. Lots of reasons good or bad.

But the message always reads the same. Thanks. It was a great time. Miss you all. Good luck in the future and all the best.

Don't think it's only a "Fuck EA" OR "nice time to move on", think it's a bit of both. They're moving on to better pastures before it gets ugly, what's funny is that it's both leaving at the same time. That's a strange coincidence for life decisions.

That to me means how they want to run the company has changed fundamentally. And it's time to move on. How would that happen? EA.

Not every dev under EA can simply keep doing what they do without interference, I think Valve is truly the only autonomous dev under EA's publishing group. EA is smart enough to not mess with Valve, they have a golden goose there. But Bioware does not have that same independence.

These guys never really worked on Mass Effect. Ray supervised all Bioware studios, Greg was working on the Star Wars MMO.

So why post a thread to essentially worry people that future Bioware games will suck because of big bad EA? That's pretty much what this is.

And just to add to the conspiracy theories people are starting about his departure I made up a quote from him to add to the nonsense.

"Working with EA has been wonderful, we've been able to reach many more players across multiple platforms with their ongoing support and achieve great success. We've been making games for a very long time and at this stage in my life, I'd rather make beer so I'm not around to watch the company that we started make the Mass Effect equivalent of Star Wars Episodes I-III. Also, my fellow Canadians enjoy beer just slightly more than video games. Cheers!"

So why post a thread to essentially worry people that future Bioware games will suck because of big bad EA? That's pretty much what this is.

And just to add to the conspiracy theories people are starting about his departure I made up a quote from him to add to the nonsense.

"Working with EA has been wonderful, we've been able to reach many more players across multiple platforms with their ongoing support and achieve great success. We've been making games for a very long time and at this stage in my life, I'd rather make beer so I'm not around to watch the company that we started make the Mass Effect equivalent of Star Wars Episodes I-III. Also, my fellow Canadians enjoy beer just slightly more than video games. Cheers!"

Oh man how I wish they actually said this!!!! :')

Once all the key people leave, what's left in the name? Bioware as we knew it is now gone.

Otherwise I'm getting tired trying to talk to you, all you have done is straw manned or put words in my mouth.

Best regards for Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk

This really doesn't change my opinion about Bioware, cause they have already announced Dragon Age III and informed about Omega DLC for ME3 and new ME game.

+ as Mr. Darrah said about DAIII // This game is being made by a lot of the same team that has been working on Dragon Age since Dragon Age: Origins. It’s composed of both experienced BioWare veterans and talented new developers. //

So no i don't consider Bioware dead just because founders decided to retire.