Brass Balls Achievement Strategy Guide

xLCDx

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Follow these steps to get the "disable vita-chambers" option

If you downloaded the DLC to a different console, follow these steps to get it to show.

1. Create a silver account or use an account that the DLC has not been downloaded too.

2. Download the DLC to that account

3. Log into your main profile and it should be there now

just wanted to say that going through the game on easy, not using vita chambers at all, and then beating atlas on hard difficulty does NOT give you brass balls or seriously good at this cheevos. i will be playing through again, seeing as beating atlas was incredibly easy (knock on wood) but not before i play some other games as a break.

just wanted to say that going through the game on easy, not using vita chambers at all, and then beating atlas on hard difficulty does NOT give you brass balls or seriously good at this cheevos.

Yes, it does. That's how I got it. But it seems to work for some and not for others. If you switch to hard right before he punches you for the last time, it should work.

• 4 weeks later...

OMFG!!! I have just spent the last couple days/week working on this game. I started a game on hard and immediately switch the "disable vita-chambers" to on (so they are off). I just beat the game and didn't get either of the achievements! I am considering shoving this disk into my wall! Is there any reason this would happen?

Here's how I got "Disable Vita chamber" option appear:

1. Clear system cache;

2. Go to System, select HDD, select Games. Find Bioshock folder and delete plasmids add-on from it;

3. Start the game and agree to install the update;

4. Quit the game, go to downloads section for Bioshock and download Plasmids add-on;

5. Start the game, enjoy!

This method was confirmed as working by 2 friends of mine. Hope it will work for you guys too.

BTW I'm not sure but if add-on is installed correctly then on the difficulty level selection screen will be different slogans for each of the difficulty level. For hard it reads now "You've played a LOT of shooters" and it was like "The veteran who seeks a challenge blah blah...".

Edited by Goujon

I have recently read online that you can turn the vita chambers off, play the game on easy, and as long as you dont die, you can change the game to hard before the last boss fight and you'll get the brass balls achievement, can anyone confirm this before i start a run through again?

I did it a couple days ago. I switched vita chambers off after the plane crash and played through on easy without dying. At the end AFTER YOU STAB ATLAS for the last time, press start and switch the difficulty to hard, PRESS THE START BUTTON again to resume the game and not b. After the little girl gives you the key, both or one of the achievements should pop.

Wow people, wow...

Do not even bother with the stress of Vita-Chambers being disabled. I JUST completed the game to earn the full 1100 on my first play-through and never bothered with turning them off. Playing on hard is not HARD AT ALL. It is more fun and seriously, since all these games require hard completion for achievements you'd think we would've stepped up our skills/tolerance by now.

Save...saVE...SAVE! Is all I have to say. Heed the advice to save after and before "battles" or when collecting stuff for the "cheevos". I die- I'd reload my last save, which should have been a few seconds or a few minutes before I died. It did not affect my save file and the dang thing unlocked when the Lil' Sis handed me the key.

When you die, you have no choice but to let the game load you into a chamber. I wasted no time, each time it happened, to pause the game and load my last save. By the way, I only had my save and the auto save file (for safe keeping) the whole play-through. Not sure what you'd need multiple saves for...

I do find it humorous and heartbreaking that folks who had them turned off had to either A.) Restart the system B.) Go to dashboard or C.) Get sent back to the main menu. Talk about time consuming! I thought reloading my save was bad!

Whether you're playing on hard and grabbing every achievement in one run like I did or just having to face off against Big Daddies period, I found that the best strategy is to not have him aware that you're out to hurt him and set up four or five trap bolts (amazing weapon!) in his path and lay two proximity mines and/or if needed blast him with any type of grenade launcher ammo to finish. This is on hard remind you ;).

Sorry if I sound harsh...I tend to be aggressive at times. Best of luck! :p

• 2 weeks later...

I started the brass balls achievement at my friends house the other night. I disabled the vita-chambers and everything went smoothly until I decided to go back to my house to continue playing. Apparently when I switched xbox's, the disable vita-chamber option on my xbox got turned off without me knowing. I fought a Big Daddy and got killed...and was respawned at a vita-chamber. I saved before this happened though. If I go back and reload my save from before I was revived at a vita-chamber, is it going to be like it never happened or is it going to prevent me from getting the achievement. I'll be pissed off if I go all the way through the game and the achievement didn't unlock.

I started the brass balls achievement at my friends house the other night. I disabled the vita-chambers and everything went smoothly until I decided to go back to my house to continue playing. Apparently when I switched xbox's, the disable vita-chamber option on my xbox got turned off without me knowing. I fought a Big Daddy and got killed...and was respawned at a vita-chamber. I saved before this happened though. If I go back and reload my save from before I was revived at a vita-chamber, is it going to be like it never happened or is it going to prevent me from getting the achievement. I'll be pissed off if I go all the way through the game and the achievement didn't unlock.

There has been some debate on this. I personally played through the entire game and beat the last boss without even having the option. Once I re-download the DLC and beat him agaim, I got the achievement. I did die a couple times and reloaded from an earlier save and it didn't count against me. There have also been reports of people dying, reloading a save and not getting it. How they went about it (whether glitching or legit) I don't know.

Edited by Corallion

does this get easier as the game goes on? im only on medical pavillion but man, its tough/ its not so much hard as it is resource depleting. plasmids take half my bar, ammo is scarce and i dont have enough money to buy more health/eve. does it get eaiser as you progress and upgrade? cause right now, all im worried about is getting to atlas. beating him on difficult is super easy.

does this get easier as the game goes on? im only on medical pavillion but man, its tough/ its not so much hard as it is resource depleting. plasmids take half my bar, ammo is scarce and i dont have enough money to buy more health/eve. does it get eaiser as you progress and upgrade? cause right now, all im worried about is getting to atlas. beating him on difficult is super easy.

Yes, it will get easier, but the Big Daddies won't. You need to be very strategical with the Daddies, just remember, on Hard, Security Bullseye and the Research Camera are your friends.

The wrench is your best weapon. Find all the tonics to beef yourself up in conjunction with the wrench, wrench lurker 1 & 2, sportboost 1 & 2, wrench jockey 1 & 2. Then you should go for the plasmids, the best being the target dummy which doesn't take much EVE away and is used to distract enemies whilst you can wrench them to death, earlier in the game when you acquire the appropriate tonics it takes only one hit to kill splicers, but whilst progressing it takes anywhere from 2-4 hits, which isn't much considering you can get sportboost which increases the speed of the swing by 25%.

I ended up restarting the game to be sure. I finally got the achievement last night, along with seriously good at this, for a total of 140 points. Everytime I died, I just reloaded from a previous save point. I thought hard was pretty easy. I used the wrench most of the time, I just stacked tonics like wrench lurker and wrench jockey. The big daddies ended up being kind of a joke after awhile. At first they may seem difficult, but they really weren't. Especially since later on you get trap bolts. I'd set up a group of trap bolts and then fire an incendiary bolt at the big daddy. He'd then chase me through the bolts, killing himself. Fontaine was really easy too. His attacks are all in slow straight lines. Just step to the side and gun him down with an opposing element.

The wrench is your best weapon. Find all the tonics to beef yourself up in conjunction with the wrench, wrench lurker 1 & 2, sportboost 1 & 2, wrench jockey 1 & 2. Then you should go for the plasmids, the best being the target dummy which doesn't take much EVE away and is used to distract enemies whilst you can wrench them to death, earlier in the game when you acquire the appropriate tonics it takes only one hit to kill splicers, but whilst progressing it takes anywhere from 2-4 hits, which isn't much considering you can get sportboost which increases the speed of the swing by 25%.

thanks to both of you. ill keep those ill in mind. i just gotta remember where to find them... i cant remember. im just ready to finish this before bio2. however, what did you guys do with the little sisters? harvest or save? dont you get more for saving but you have to save more to do it?

thanks to both of you. ill keep those ill in mind. i just gotta remember where to find them... i cant remember. im just ready to finish this before bio2. however, what did you guys do with the little sisters? harvest or save? dont you get more for saving but you have to save more to do it?

Save them. Even though you get more ADAM for harvesting them you get other rewards for every three you save. The extra ADAM isn't necessary either, I finished the game with plenty of ADAM left over. All I bought was every single health & EVE upgrade, target dummy and electro bolt 3, I might have bought other things but I can't remember.

just got brass balls. i was incredibly nervous it was going to glitch. i dont have the time or patience to go through it again (esp. with the sequel being released in a few days) so im super glad it didnt glitch.

i did use vita chamber at one point but i reloaded a save prior to that so i can confirm that doing that will not disable the save completely.

also, it gets much, much easier the further you get. to put it in perspective, i started last sunday, by friday, i was just before peach wilkins. friday, i beat him, played through to fort frolic, then today, after finishing up fort frolic, i played through to the end. the beginning was by far the most difficult. by about arcadia, i started having full EVE/first aid and around $500 most of the time.

hope this helps other people.