Harmonics

dive_junkie

It is easiest to play natural harmonics at the 12th fret. As I recall the game mostly focuses on harmonics at the 5th and 7th fret in the technique challenge.

So start by practicing on the 12th fret. Make sure that you finger is directly above the 12th fret and not in between the 11th and 12th. Once you have them down on the 12th fret move on to the 7th and then the 5th (19th fret is also an easy place to sound natural harmonics). Make sure your fingers are directly above those frets too.

In addition, don't make the mistake of lifting off your finger too quickly. If I could see what you were doing, I could tell you what you are doing wrong, but often I see beginners assuming you have to touch real light and then lift off real quick..and what ends up happening is that they just end up strumming the open string.

Practice first by just touching the string where you are supposed to with little pressure and pick the string fairly hard...you should hear a bell like tone..you don't have to lift off your finger. Lifting off your finger just helps it to sustain. Just keep your finger there..and pick hard...making sure your finger is right above the fret. If you are not getting the bell tone, just experiment on how much pressure you are putting on the string. At the 12th fret in particular, it should not be hard at all to get a bell like tone.

thanks rabies for the help. i didnt know you didnt have to pull off. as soon as i figured that out and got the feeling for how soft to press the string down i got it after a few tries. thats all the tuts gold for me now. :)

PS. i almost had it but got to anxious and screwed up last note, but then after a few more attempts i barely got it by 534 points hah.

you don't have to pull off... and just barely touch the string (lightly rest your finger on the string)... try practicing outside of the game... find the spot that gives you the tone (either directly on the fret or a little before/after the fret)

also listen to "Are You In?" by Incubus (look it up on youtube) for the sounds you should be hearing... the song is mostly harmonics on 7th and 12th

• 10 months later...