Forward Unto Dawn Discussion.

xTGMx INF3RNO

ODST receieved so much hate, but I think the big reason it caught so much flak was the lack of a multiplayer (which is pretty pathetic when you think about it.)

I think if they'd have just marketed it as Single-player DLC for Halo 3 like they'd originally planned it would've gone over better. That would've eliminated the expectation of new features, which would've made it all the more successful because of the sandbox world, modified weapons, and various little features like the VISR (which I really want to make a comeback in the Halo franchise even if it just performs the same functions as the analyze feature in Anniversary. I loved the artistic style of VISR mode.)

Would've been pretty cool as Episodic content actually. The way the Campaign was built with the Openness of New Mombasa and the episode-like flashbacks would've lent itself better to a chapter or two being release every month. Spacing out the exploration and building the suspense of the story-based missions would've made the whole adventure more climactic.

I didn't overly like ODST at first, due to all the walking around the New Mombasa street plan, the ammount of times I must have said to myself "hold on a minute I've been here before" got beyond a joke.

But I agree some of the levels really rocked like uplift reserve, the firefight was really good. It was fun you had to complete the campaign level to unlock the FF maps. And Martin O'Donnells noir influenced soundtrack was a gem. Plus it was released at a cut-down retail price on its initial release so couldn't really complain.

As for FUD#3 it was good, great for some real action to finally happen. I hope episode 4 features Frankie O'Connor battling an energy sword wielding elite with a mop or toilet plunger.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I agree some of the levels really rocked like uplift reserve, the firefight was really good. It was fun you had to complete the campaign level to unlock the FF maps. And Martin O'Donnells noir influenced soundtrack was a gem. Plus it was released at a cut-down retail price on its initial release so couldn't really complain.

As for FUD#3 it was good, great for some real action to finally happen. I hope episode 4 features Frankie O'Connor battling an energy sword wielding elite with a mop or toilet plunger.

I STILL listen to ODST soundtracks when its lightly raining outside.

And Lol, we will for sure see some Elite bad-assery next week. Or maybe watch the Chief smack a few of em down hard.

I STILL listen to ODST soundtracks when its lightly raining outside.

I thought I was the only one who did that...it started to rain a bit in my area last week when I was driving around with my girlfriend. As soon as drops began to hit the windshield, I instinctively reached towards the ODST disc, and began to play Deference for Darkness. My girlfriend pointed out my reaction time and busted out laughing.

Man, I feel like going on a Halo binge right now. Starting out with listening to the soundtracks. I still frequently listen to both volumes of the Halo 2 soundtrack. One of the best videogame soundtacks of all time. High Charity Suite is great.

Speaking of the soundtracks, and going off topic for a bit here, has anyone pre-ordered the Halo 4 soundtrack? I've listened to some demos of the tracks, and the only song I sort of like is The Beauty of Cortana. I doubt I'll get it, if that's the only song I enjoy hearing. I wish Marty stayed, but Neil Davidge is decent. It'll take me a while to get used the the shift in the music...

I enjoy what I've heard so far. I haven't put down the pre-order yet though. I'm waiting for it to come out and I'm putting down an Amazon order for the Soundtrack from every Halo game since I don't own the physical copies of any of them. Those are actually numbers 3-10 on my Halo To-Buy list. Art of Halo 4 and Silentium are at the top ^_^

I still frequently listen to both volumes of the Halo 2 soundtrack. One of the best videogame soundtacks of all time. High Charity Suite is great.....Speaking of the soundtracks, and going off topic for a bit here, has anyone pre-ordered the Halo 4 soundtrack?

I still listen to the Halo 2 Vol. 2 soundtrack on my way to work. High Charity Suite and Delta Halo Suite are my favorite. As for the Halo 4 soundtrack, I went ahead and pre-ordered it seeing as it comes out on Monday and most of the tracks are pretty decent.

The first time I watched episode 3, I was really worried because none of the students (trained to be observent) were noticing the glowing sword reflected in the "mystery soldier"/spartans visor.

I really feel for Lasky though;

Same thing happened to me the first time I kissed a girl.

The first time I watched episode 3, I was really worried because none of the students (trained to be observent) were noticing the glowing sword reflected in the "mystery soldier"/spartans visor.

I really feel for Lasky though;

Same thing happened to me the first time I kissed a girl.

You're first kiss was interrupted by a powerful conglomeration of relgious aliens that are hellbent on using the technology of an extinct civilization to destroy Humanity too? Damn those aliens. They always ruin our chances of getting nookie!

Just rewatched Episode 3 to catch any small stuff I might've missed. Not much to be had in the Live-action portion, but the opening with Cortana I did catch something I missed before. She mentioned something about being slowed down right at the end. I'm wondering if she was referring to FUD as it was going through the Ark portal.

Spoilers for Halo 3,Cryptum, & Primordium:

A lot of people seem to believe that the Ark is an instantaneous portal from one end to the other and that Forward Unto Dawn was only half-inside when it closed. In actuality, the portal is more like Slipspace. It's a long tunnel that tears into an alternate dimension to speed up travel time from Point A to Point B. The Ark portal is effectively the same thing, but on a much faster pace since the Ark was located just outside of the Milky Way Galaxy. The entire ship made it through no problem, but the portal was closed literally a couple seconds too late for the whole ship to have made it out. The chances of this happening of natural causes are astronomically impossible. The chances of the Chief's portion of the ship ending up outside of the Shield World containing the Didact even more so. Since tunneling through the galaxy technically means you're still travelling consistently through the millions of Lightyears it takes to get there, that means dropping the Chief out near Requiem required the portal to close and sever at an impossibly precise moment in the tunnel, not just closing the entrance and exit. In other words, the ship was severed before the Portal ever closed and the Arbiter's portion simply continued to travel until it reach Earth again.

To pull off something this precise, you have to have an extreme level of mastery over the Forerunner levels of Slipspace technology. No human closed it, nor did any Covenant force. Who does this leave?

The Didact, though he's believed to be in Hibernation and additionally, he's a Warrior which leads me to doubt his ability to pull off such a manuever.

The Librarian, at least according to Primordium, is still somewhere in existence. She was a lifeworker and specialized more in the organic aspects of creation. She could potentially have the know how to pull it off, however, since the Ark was ultimately her lifes work.

The monitors. We all know there are at least 7 monitors in existence. 343 GS and 2401 PT are both eliminated, but the other 5 Halo Installations all possesed monitors as well, one of those being the Human-based monitor that used to be Chakas and who was the basis for the creation of the Installation monitors (and he has since assumed the personality of 343, effectively bring Sparky back to life and put him in pursuit of the Librarian.)

Than we also know of the existence of Mendicant Bias, the monitor created to fight the Flood in the war before the rings' activation. Ultimately he was corrupted by the Gravemind and persuaded to fight for him, but after the ring activation and his being left dormant on High Charity for so long, he came to regret his decisions and fled to the Ark, where he has since left terminal messages to the Master Chief explaining his actions and expressing his regrets and desire to right his wrongs. This seems like the most likely culprit responsible because he's see the chief as his opportunity to fix his mistakes. Originally I believed he desired to defeat the Flood through the use of the Chief to right his wrongs, but since learning about the Didact's presence on Requiem and his strong hatred of Humanity, I wonder if MB might just be trying to win back the faith of his own creators through the Chief's arrival and thus awakening of the Didact.

Mendicant Bias would have the technical know how and the super computer reaction times necessary to drop the chief out at an exact pinpoint as well. Even with the impossibility of precision, taking into account that it took 4 years for the chief to drift to Requiem would put this back into the realm of plausibility.

I would like to apologize to anybody that hates all my essay-long posts. I've been using my phone as a web browser forever and it makes me reluctant to type a lot. Now that the 360 has a web browser and I can use my keyboard, I'm free to divulge my volumes of thoughts and ideas and hotheaded opinions on the world again. lol

Edited by DarkReign2021

A spoiler tag or two might have been nice for folks who haven't finished all the books yet. That aside, you put a lot of thought into that one line didn't you? :p lol

Oops. Isn't this topic marked as Spoilers? I typically refrain from posting Spoiler tags if the topic is, but I may have overlooked it this time. Sorry about that. But yes I did. It's a theory I've thrown around since Halo 3 came out, but the line kind of reaffirms it and things we've learned since H3 have made slight alterations to the train of thought.

Oops. Isn't this topic marked as Spoilers? I typically refrain from posting Spoiler tags if the topic is, but I may have overlooked it this time. Sorry about that. But yes I did. It's a theory I've thrown around since Halo 3 came out, but the line kind of reaffirms it and things we've learned since H3 have made slight alterations to the train of thought.

Nope, thread and OP are both lacking spoiler warnings. But even so the thread's about FUD and not the books. I don't personally mind. I stopped a few chapters into Cryptium (Just can't get into it as much as I did the first six books for some reason) Haven't bothered with Glassland or Thursday War either. I'll get to them eventually. Probably by the time Halo 5 comes out, lol. Just thinking some others might mind.

As for your theory, I'm not sure if it holds water, but I like it. :)

This week gave me chills. Anyone else? :)

I've found a few of the episodes a bit teenzy and lackluster but 4th is an amazing episode, 5 is just not enough we want more. Hope they make future seasons for a cable station maybe.

Chief steps in to save the day, the eye on detail is amazing from the camo energy sword wielding elite to the jackels needler rifles shots shattering into crystal.

The entire ship made it through no problem, but the portal was closed literally a couple seconds too late for the whole ship to have made it out. . .

We've discussed this before, I think Mendicant Bias would be the primary suspect.

But, regardless of who caused it to happen, one thing we know for sure is - like you said - the odds of it happening randomly are astronomical. Someone, or something caused the Chief and Cortana to end up at Requiem.

Haven't been able to watch part 4 yet, Is it the last? Or will we have one more next week?

Yeah. I remember discussing this with you once before. That one sentence in Episode 3, though. That just spoke volumes in terms of confirming what was right and what was wrong. Still theoretical, but I've come to better understands some of the physics the series uses that obviously don't exist yet in a real-world scenario. Sadly I'm terrible at physics, but I seem to be really good at understanding the kind of physics you might encounter in Gravity-less space.

This is planned as 5 episodes, so we've got one more coming. I'm curious where they're planning to squeeze in an extra 90 minutes of footage though. I enjoyed the whole story of Hastati Squad, but I wouldn't really want them extending the first 2 episodes a whole lot. I want the majority of the extensions to be in the latter 3 episodes after the Covenant arrive. Or they're always welcome to continue on from the point where Episode 5 ends and just keep showing us the story of Lasky throughout the war up to discovering Requiem. 90 minutes of footage to cover the story of a man caught up in a war/post-war that was 32 years long is pushing it, but maybe skipping the middle portion and focusing on the Infinity at a point up to when the Live Action Infinity Trailer took place would work. I'd like to know more about Lasky and how he actually managed to earn the trust of Parangoski.

Dark, it sounds you might be misunderstanding a little. The extended version that comes with that LE and will later be released on Blu-Ray isn't extended BY 90 minutes. It's extended TO 90 minutes. So far the first episode has been the longest with a run time of 19 minutes 49 seconds. The combined run time of the 4 so far has been 69 minutes and 13 seconds. This includes each episode having the Machinima opening, a next time, and credits. Which takes up at least a minute of the video. The 5th episode is likely to be no longer than the first, probably shorter. So the combined run time of all 5 will likely be around 85 minutes. At a guess. So the extended will have 5-10 extra minutes after the multiple openings and credits are removed.

Notice how we're getting teased with images and communication with other Spartan IIs?

Chief was talking to Kelly when he picked up Corbulo's survivors.

Kelly is also seen in the Scanned trailer. Announcer mentions her number.

0:55

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7dqtgkSWeQ&feature=g-user-u]Halo 4 "Scanned" Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

We see Fred in the "classified footage" that Sully uncovers.

Chief's gonna have some company in the Reclaimer trilogy.

Notice how we're getting teased with images and communication with other Spartan IIs?

0:55

Halo Wiki says that Spartan II is Linda though?

Anyways, who cares. If Kelly is in ANY of the new games this trilogy, I will wet myself. I love her :D

Well, the particularly interesting bit is that both Kelly and Fred have credits on the IMDB page for Forward Unto Dawn, so it's possible we might see them in episode 5. You know, at the Pelican evac point.

thats funny cuz if i remember correctly iv seen alot of military movies and iv never heard a soldier call a female officer a sir. That makes them sound more like a man, and seems kinda rude if u ask me.

Only in Sifi movies they call them sir. In reality we call them mam