Reviews

Well I was really hoping this game would be just as good as Firaxis's XCOM: Enemy Unknown. And while one review or any critic's review for the matter doesn't mean that it isn't, this is appears to be one of the 1st reviews and it is not very high. Just as a heads up I tried clicking the link and it didn't work so I suppose they might have to wait till midnight to truly release the review. But for now it appears we have our 1st review.

Edit: And another not very flattering review...

Destructoid: 4.5/10

http://www.destructoid.com/review-the-bureau-xcom-declassified-260320.phtml

IGN: 5.5

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/the-bureau-xcom-declassified-review

Edited by Hypno Toad 10

GameSpot: 6/10

http://www.gamespot.com/the-bureau-xcom-declassified/reviews/the-bureau-xcom-declassified-review-6413201/

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17O2AyQw3Sw]The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - Review - YouTube[/ame]

IGN: 5.5/10

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/the-bureau-xcom-declassified-review

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4LKwo-D-Xs]The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video Review - YouTube[/ame]

Polygon: 7/10

http://www.polygon.com/game/the-bureau-xcom-declassified/11688

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZwkw2DoEes]The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Review - YouTube[/ame]

Joystiq: 4/5

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/20/the-bureau-xcom-declassified-review/

Eurogamer 7/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-20-the-bureau-xcom-declassified-review

This game never had a chance. Between the delays and change of focus, and Enemy Unknown being pretty much a perfect way to reboot the franchise. Still it looks like a decent enough squad shooter, not a complete waste.

Here's a review from Tara Long of Rev3Games

http://www.everythingprint.com/images/2stars.png

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWtccB-10a0]The Bureau: XCOM Declassified REVIEW! - YouTube[/ame]

Bah. I was secretly hoping this game would exceed my expectations, but it seems like it hasn't. Mediocre reviews...but maybe someday I'll rent it.

Edited by LickableLemons7

Bullshit. People are mostly hating it, because it's XCOM, without being the classic over-head turn-based Strategy XCOM.

If they named this game differently, other than XCOM, it would get bigger scores, since it's name wouldn't carry so much nostalgia.

Loved this game, it worked, had a great story. What lacked, is that the game was relatively short. Boss battles weren't interesting, no R&D,though that is completely understandable, due to the fact, that you're playing as an XCOM Agent, not a Base Commander.

Game isn't bad, really. It's just that most reviewers have their stick up their ass, for something other.

Look at the feedback XCOM: Enemy Unknown gave. "Remake" of the classic XCOM, though it is not perfect, for the most part had a lot of reviewers give 8-10 on most occasions. X360a even gave it 95% for fucks sake.

Enemy Unknown had quite a few flaws:

Glitchy camera angles, repeating map locations, no variation in missions, limited customization (added as DLC), weak story line, lack of technology to upgrade and research and no way near as complex as the original game from fucking 1994!

Enemy Unknown was still vastly appreciated, due to the fact, that it was turn-based Strategy. If it did the same on the blueprint of a 3rd person shooter game, it would have been a disaster.

I'm not saying that The Bureau has a lot problems. I'm saying that people are too fond of 3rd person cover shooters, and the requirements for the genre to please the masses are a lot higher, due to it being one of the dominant game genres this generation. Granted, I'm not saying that The Bureau is great or anything, it's a summer title, it's not supposed to be "great". It decent, and enjoyable.

I enjoyed, and that the only thing that mattered to me about this game. Me being able to enjoy it and have fun. Setting up kills and multitasking abilities was a blast.

Edited by KriugerisLT

It's early doors for me but so far I'd say this is a good game.

It looks and plays like "Mafia II" but with better shooting mechanics with some "Full Spectrum Warrior" squad commands thrown in for good measure.

Everyone who loved the original seems to hate this for not being an HD remake of the original.

Everyone else is enjoying a decent game.

Az

Its ok game so far, the shooting levels feel more like Mass effect 3 than any other game people have mentioned.

Some will not like it because its not a real x-com game but the game is flawed (main one is not a brilliant shooter (incl level design & set pieces) or a great tactical game. Its a jack of all trades, master of none. I suppose that comes from the change from a plain shooter

Well worth a rent or buy when it drops to £18 mark

My personal review of this game:

Graphics are okay. They do look like something you'd see on the original Xbox, but that's okay. Levels are fairly linear and most powerups aren't really that necessary.

The story? I don't know why, but I am really digging this story. I'm almost to the end of the game (I'm not sure why it's so short.... but whatever) and am still having a blast on every single mission I go through. Every level is unique so far and combat can be approached in any number of ways. Though, shotguns in this game do tend to be rather useless. Sniper Rifles as well.

Boss fights are "okay" by me. I don't worry so much about the Mutons showing up, but when a Sectopod drops in, I am scrambling for higher cover and throwing every power I got at the thing. The gun on it mounted so high up basically makes most cover fairly useless.

Finding new weapons and equipment in the field is somewhat fun and interesting. It gave me a reason to explore. Well, that, and the fact that there are letters and audio recordings littered around the game world.

Combat is immensely satisfying. I thought initially that holding down the B Button to activate "Focus" would be distracting during combat. It's actually not that distracting, and I seem to use it the entire conflict, moving and positioning as well as activating abilities. I even forget to fire my own weapons sometimes! What this system really needs is a way to automate your own character as well, so you can spend more time in the strategic planning menu thing. Otherwise, I forget to move myself, fire my own guns, even throw grenades. But, I don't forget to use my own powers!

My review is that it's an "average" game with a good story and a fun combat system. Or, at least, I like the combat system. Flanking providing more damage and other such things... It's fairly versatile and making a plan for your squad is satisfying and fun for me.

Now, if we're comparing this to other cover based shooters... Well, it's not as good as them. But hey, cover based shooters, in the scheme of things, aren't that interesting or fun or innovative to begin with.

My only real disappointment with this game? It's kind of short and doesn't take long to max out your entire roster of agents at level 5. Though, I suspect my main character is somewhat under the level he should be. I guess that's what I get for not really using "Combo Kills" to my advantage.

I say, if nothing else, rent the game. Play it for a few hours, if you aren't absolutely enjoying the combat by then, it will never grab you. If the story doesn't interest you by the third mission, it's not your kind of thing. It's not really worth the $60 I paid for it... But, I would've paid $40 for it and looked fondly at my memories with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Its OK, but nothing special... If you are looking for more XCOM fun - you will probably be disappointed. A lot of the great parts of Enemy Unknown have been stripped out because they don't really work in this sorta game. There's not really any upgrades for weapons, there's no improvements to take on more squad members - its just a straight forward shooter. You have a power wheel that allows you to do buffs and other special attacks with a cooldown timer stopping you spaming them out, but that's it. Honestly I would have preferred a Gears like approach with multiplayer for squads so you can play coop. Removes some of the atmosphere around perma-death and things like that, but think it would have been a lot of fun for 3 people to coordinate their movements to take down the bigger enemies.

That said: its a workable, half decent squad based 3rd person shooter that has some truly enjoyable moments at times. And the achievement list is pretty straightforward if you are just looking to hunt another 1000 points. IMO there's a lot out there at the moment that deserves your money more than this, but its definitely worth a play if you see it cheap or are a big fan of the genre rather than the XCOM series.

• 2 weeks later...

The game is better than most reviews give it credit for.

The graphics are strangely unsatisfying on the main characters yet crazily beautiful on the enemies. Carter jogs around and the speed of a snail. The cutscenes have really weird clipping issues (how many time does agent Carter' pistol stick through his arm??!) and the plot seems more than a little silly in terms of how easy/fast it is to repel the invasion.

Despite all of that, once you acclimatise to the Battle Focus system, combat is surprisingly engrossing and the set-piece battles keep you on the edge of your seat.

I don't regret buying the Bureau at all.

this game sucks, its the same exact engine from top to bottom that Bioshock Infinate used, even the UI since its the same time period but it also has all its bugs, like the horrible sound mix if you use headphones you can hear it clearly, i remember that issue back with Bioshock 1 and thougth at the time it was on purpose cause that game was supposed to be somewhat survival horror and it made it sound like someone was behind you...but its still there in BI and now this game all 2k franchises i realize its not on purpose, its a shitty development job and only "worked" when they had the dark scary themes of BS 1

also the music has cut off completely and wont load, the voice acting is laughably bad, the knock-off Gears teamwork aspect is a joke and i just do everything myself and call them to help me if i get downed, which cracks me up cause he yells "get the fuck over here an help me"or sumthing like that

but if it had an "Elizabeth" then it would all of a sudden be a GOTY candidate cause all this shit was in BI too, but everyone overlooked it for this "industry changing experience" that Elizabeth created, meanwhile they both were pushed back and delayed about the same length of time, and clearly it wasnt to "polish the combat"

hopefully Rod Ferguson can use his new role at 2k to make a competent shooter from his Gears days at EPIC since apparently EPIC doesn't care about upholding that franchise with what they did with Judgment and clearly nobody at 2K knows how to make competent shooters

Edited by eiVaL

I'm only playing it from here out because I don't have anything else to play right now and it looks as if there isn't much coming out soon. The mechanics stink, the running/walking speeds are horrible, missions inside the base take forever due to moving at a snails pace, the aliens throw grenades left and right, the AI are cannon fodder, I could go on for a few hours on this.

I you've got anything else to play or any other game on a wish list, I'd suggest them over this....

It's just bad