USB Trick explanation?

ShortyTHEone

Very simple, provided it isn't patched. Worst case scenario is to clear cache and play completely offline.

1. Start Hardcore.
  2. Reach a checkpoint.
  3. Save and quit.
  4. Go to dashboard, and then to storage.
  5. Copy Hardcore checkpoint save to USB.
  6. Continue playing.
  7. Reach a new checkpoint, repeat steps 3 to 6.
  8. Die before reaching a new one? Copy old checkpoint save back to hard drive, or other storage device you are using. Continue from step two.

I would not use cloud, personally.

Very simple, provided it isn't patched. Worst case scenario is to clear cache and play completely offline.

1. Start Hardcore.
  2. Reach a checkpoint.
  3. Save and quit.
  6. Continue playing.
  8. Die before reaching a new one? Copy old checkpoint save back to hard drive, or other storage device you are using. Continue from step two.

sounds easy to me, thank you :bow:

so "save and quit" wont let me loose any story progress if proceed on a checkpoint? (how do i know i reached a checkpoint? sorry if this sounds stupid)

1. Start Hardcore.
  2. Reach a checkpoint.
  3. Save and quit.
  6. Continue playing.

That's the only annoying part about the entire thing but other than that it saves you a lot of stress!

1. Start Hardcore.
  2. Reach a checkpoint.
  3. Save and quit.
  6. Continue playing.

Thank's for this nice step-by-step. Why would you not use cloud?

1. Start Hardcore.
  2. Reach a checkpoint.
  3. Save and quit.
  6. Continue playing.

Thanks for explaining this! :woop:

Can it be any Flash drive or does it have to be the Xbox 360 brand one? Also, if you can SAVE and quit, why not when you die, just reload your save real quick?

Any USB flash drive can be formatted to work with an XBOX. If you have a standard XBOX memory card that will work also.

The reason you can't reload the save is the game instantly "saves your progress" when you die on hardcore mode... meaning it immediately wipes all your progress on the save and forces you to start over.

That's why you have to keep a back-up save if you want to bypass this.

i believe the "flashdrive trick" is against the ToS by getting achievements illegitimately and can get your account banned/gamerscore reset.

Falling back on an old game save is nowhere near against the terms of service, and there is no way that it will get you banned. Ever.

It could be considered a "backup save" in case your file gets corrupted, or, as I've done countless times in games, making a save before a choice in a game to go back to and choose the other option(s).

If they didn't want that to happen, they should have made it so we can't copy or move files at all, which is dumb.

*Also, I feel safe to say there is no way they can track this, or will waste time and money trying to.

Edited by thud17

i believe the "flashdrive trick" is against the ToS by getting achievements illegitimately and can get your account banned/gamerscore reset.

That just made my day.

BTW thank you so much for this tip. I was more worried about one of the stupid repelling sequences killing me more than a necromorph. This deffinitely helped.

Edited by Zeppelin 856

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
How does this work with dead space 2, you only get 3 saves won't the game recognize it if you save more then 3x even if you save it somewhere else or make a copy somewhere else.

This doesn't work with Dead Space 2, this trick is for Dead Space 3, so if you die you can copy backup the save file back onto the HDD without having to restart the entire game again.

Edited by The Big LT