Fireworks? Try this!

Bahaumaut

All:

It looks like the Fireworks is still problematic for everyone. However, I may have a solution, or at least a way to get it.

In Level 1-5 (Return to the Village), there are three Knight Watchers. One at the very beginning, two at the very end. I'm not certain if this requires you to kill solely with grenades, or whether you can use other weapons... however, JUST USE GRENADES! B At the first one, there's an ammo refill right in the middle of the platform you're on. The latter two at the end has a refill on the second level; use the vertical climb to jump on one of the ledges and go inside to find it. Just keep tossing grenades, trying to time the hold so that it explodes near the knights, and refill when you run out. By focusing on just using grenades, we can be more sure that there isn't another trigger that 'discounts' the kill from your total.

Important: Don't die. I'm not sure if you lose kill counts if you die before the check points. If you are getting nailed, find cover quick. Best suggestion is to do this on casual, so you have a lot more HP to work with. Just dodge out of the way until your screen returns to normal,

Try this, and see if this helps you out. Don't worry about the other fliers; focus just on the knights in this level and see if you get the achieve. Zoom as fast as you can through the middle part, and see if you don't get the achieve after 3-4 runs.

If this works, please post in this thread. If it doesn't, give it another 2 runs trying to kill those 3 knights with grenades, without dying during the stage. If you still don't get it, post your experience here as well.

It's worth a try. I've been trying to get this achievement for days now, using numerous strategies, so one more wouldn't hurt. Once I've gone through it couple of times I'll post back and let you know what I find. Wish me luck! I'm going to need it (more for the sake of my sanity than anything else).

Well, I come bearing good news. I have just acquired the infamous Fireworks achievement (and it feels so goooood! :D), and I am happy to report that this strategy did work for me. In the end I ran through Level 1-5 three times, getting the achievement at the end of that third run. Each of the Knights were kill purely with grenades and I even managed to get a couple of extra kills by destroying the 2 or 3 airborne soldiers halfway through the level.

I would like to add one disclaimer though. As I stated in my first post I have been trying to get this achievement for quite a few days so I'm not sure what my total "airborne kill count" was eventually. That means that these final runs may have just been enough to push my total over the edge as it has been suggested in other threads here that the actually total is far over the 10 mentioned in the achievement description. Not sure how relevant this is but it's something to keep in mind.

Anyway, I can at least confirm that this method works. The chapter isn't to long and the Knights are far easier to hit than their smaller, faster cousins, even if it does take a couple of grenades to bring one down.

Best of luck to everyone else try to get this most annoying of achievements. It's a real doozy.

• 4 weeks later...

I started using the method above also. Killed the first Knight using only grenades. But I remembered seeing in other threads that grenade kills in upward facing vertical combat counted too. So in the vertical combat section right after that first Knight I started throwing grenades, sometimes killing more than one with one grenade. The achievement unlocked during my first run on the vertical combat section. Could it really be this simple?

You can kill anything with the grenade, it just has to be at a higher elevation than you to count?

I'm going to try this method now. I've made it a point to try and get as many in-air kills as possible so far, so hopefully a couple runs through the level will put me past the number for the achievement. I'll post back in a bit with my experience.

Still trying, and I have 8 so far, but here's a question I came up with: When you kill the Knight, do you also have to kill the slug-looking thing enemy that comes out of it with a grenade? Does that technically count as the "enemy," seeing as it comes out of the Knight?

Edited by The Incendiary

I'm going to try this method now. I've made it a point to try and get as many in-air kills as possible so far, so hopefully a couple runs through the level will put me past the number for the achievement. I'll post back in a bit with my experience.

Still trying, and I have 8 so far, but here's a question I came up with: When you kill the Knight, do you also have to kill the slug-looking thing enemy that comes out of it with a grenade? Does that technically count as the "enemy," seeing as it comes out of the Knight?

By my count, I have about 13 after a few runs. I did die twice (didn't reach the cliff while gliding), so I'm not sure if that has had anything to do with it. Also, I'm not sure all of the Knight kills were strictly with grenades, although a majority of them were. I'm gonna try a two more runs then pick this up another day. No reason to get frustrated by an achievement that I can't seem to get...:mad:

EDIT: Final count for the night is at 16, 10 or more of which I'm pretty sure that I killed strictly with grenades. I've tried vertical cover sections as I've played through the game and that obviously hasn't worked so far. Anyone have any other ideas?

Edited by The Incendiary

By my count, I have about 13 after a few runs. I did die twice (didn't reach the cliff while gliding), so I'm not sure if that has had anything to do with it. Also, I'm not sure all of the Knight kills were strictly with grenades, although a majority of them were. I'm gonna try a two more runs then pick this up another day. No reason to get frustrated by an achievement that I can't seem to get...:mad:

EDIT: Final count for the night is at 16, 10 or more of which I'm pretty sure that I killed strictly with grenades. I've tried vertical cover sections as I've played through the game and that obviously hasn't worked so far. Anyone have any other ideas?

Try some more runs, like I mentioned above my count was about 20. It's annoying but you can literally run past everything except the knights and the village square battle to make it go faster.

Nope... this didn't work for me.

I fully ran through episode 1-5 seven times and it did not pop...after 7 full runs, I ran it 10 more times killing only the first knight at the bridge, crossing the gaps until I got a checkpoint and reloading. That did not work either.

In the end, I read another thread and tried episode 3-3. At the start of that mission, 3 flying guys come out of a hole in the wall. I blew up as many as I could, finished off the room real quick, and ran up the hall to a checkpoint and restarted the level. On my 4th restart, it popped.:woop:

...now I am going to go grind 2-4 for a bit until I get 145k tech and pray for greasemonkey...

Nope... this didn't work for me.

I fully ran through episode 1-5 seven times and it did not pop...after 7 full runs, I ran it 10 more times killing only the first knight at the bridge, crossing the gaps until I got a checkpoint and reloading. That did not work either.

In the end, I read another thread and tried episode 3-3. At the start of that mission, 3 flying guys come out of a hole in the wall. I blew up as many as I could, finished off the room real quick, and ran up the hall to a checkpoint and restarted the level. On my 4th restart, it popped.:woop:

...now I am going to go grind 2-4 for a bit until I get 145k tech and pray for greasemonkey...

Glad to hear that something worked for you. :)

Grease Monkey should come as long as the last weapon you upgrade happens while inside a level and not in the upgrade screen that appears before each level starts. I upgraded using both throughout the game and finished the last one in 2-4 and it popped.:woop:

My advise on this: Keep tossing grenades on anything that flies during the entire campaign. I tried to kill pretty much everything airborne with grenades (died a few times in between) and got lucky at the start of Chapter 3-3.

I'd speculate that either the achievement description is wrong and you have to kill more than 10 flying targets or the game measures the distance between you and the enemy (e.g. if you are hovering and destroy something below your position it might not count). But those are just speculations, after all the achievement seems to be pretty random ô_o

I finally got this on 3-3 The Revolt. I completed my first playthrough trying to take out any flyers with grenades. However, most of those were while I was hovering, which I do not think counts. Then when I went back to mop-up - I was doing the first part of 3-3, because I was trying to get Float like a butterfly. There happened to be 3 or 4 of the flyer guys so I started chucking my grenades. After the 3rd attempt it popped. I think you have to accumulate more than 10 of these grenades kills.

FYI - Once you kill everyone in this room it saves, so you can safely quit. Although I think it saves most of those stats anyways.

Now time for some grinding...hopefully I understand the method of doing grease monkey properly.

Edited by big red marino

Just make sure the last weapon you upgrade (or the last upgrade you apply) happens at a weapons crate inside a level and NOT at the weapons screen before the level and you should be fine.

Thanks man...went through and added up all the points I needed to upgrade everything. During my hardcore playthrough I upgraded the oppressor to level 3, the machine gun to level 2, and the sniper to level 2. I also upgraded the jetpack to level 3. So with that I needed around 93k points total. Although I had close to 20k when I completed my hardcore playthrough. Once I accumulated all those need tech points, I then disconnected from live and starting upgrading using an in game locker - starting with the machine gun and working left to right then onto the bottom row. Also, during my TECH farming on 2-4, I would complete the level as on Casual those ARCONS can be wiped out with the rockets from your jet pack very easily. Its an extra 4 or 5 minutes, but you get another 1500 points.

If I may participate, the achievement unlocked painlessly for me, after acquiring the magnetic something gun. I just launched an easy enemy in the air and then wipe him (or it?) with a timed (I hold the left bumber for a sec) grenade.

It's the place where you set the prisoners free, and you enter the giant hangar from the roof. Piece of cake!

Try this one first unless you want to mess with the Knights.

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm sure the Knight method does indeed work, I still say the easiest way is in vertical cover going up. You can kill several enemies with one grenade and get the achievement in one run. The same board with the Knights has a vertical cover part that worked great for me. One run and the achievement unlocked. Its worth trying if you are doing the Knight runs anyway...

If I may participate, the achievement unlocked painlessly for me, after acquiring the magnetic something gun. I just launched an easy enemy in the air and then wipe him (or it?) with a timed (I hold the left bumber for a sec) grenade.

It's the place where you set the prisoners free, and you enter the giant hangar from the roof. Piece of cake!

Try this one first unless you want to mess with the Knights.

This method worked a charm for me. Thanks! :)

My experience in this is that I played the entire campaign twice, once for the hard difficulty cheev and once for journals on casual, and during both I always aimed to get airborn kills with grenades. Then during mop-up sessions I did the same. Finally, I played 1-5 a few times killing the Knights with grenades only to no avail, so I tried 3-3, I shit you not, the first grenade I threw nets me the achievement. I think for those aiming for this one, 3-3 is a better choice.

I think in total I would have well over 50 airborn grenade kills but who knows how this one is supposed to work

Just to share my experience with this. I finished my hardcore playthrough and have been doing my 2-4 runs to build tech points for the grease monkey achievement. During which, I was attempting shooting them with the magnetic gun and then blowing them up while they were in the air. I had already blown up way more than 10 guys during my campaign, so I figured I was close. At any rate, I ended up getting it when I blew up a standing, definitely not airborne, bad guy. No idea....