Official Bitching Thread

13ip0lar

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These interviews are weak, I can't tell truth to lie!!

Yeah, a lot of the interviews are plain dumb luck. Why would I believe someone nervously looking around the room?

Are people seriously griping about cutscenes? If you had read anything about the game beforehand you would have known it's not very action oriented.

The character controls are good sometimes but I've had my fair share of problems. The driving, however, is great imo. SO much better than GTA.

Wish you could roam around the city when NOT on a case. Buy a suit maybe. get a drink

You can't do this? How is it an "open world" game then? I haven't played it much yet, but from what I'm hearing I think this will be my least favorite Rockstar game. I will probably have to wait for reviews on future releases now, which is something I never thought I would say.

Yeah, a lot of the interviews are plain dumb luck. Why would I believe someone nervously looking around the room?

Are people seriously griping about cutscenes? If you had read anything about the game beforehand you would have known it's not very action oriented.

The character controls are good sometimes but I've had my fair share of problems. The driving, however, is great imo. SO much better than GTA.

A million times this. There is almost no rationale behind the supposed "correct" decisions you have to make. And even when I'm confident I'm on top of the interview there's no predicting what the hell Cole will say.

Using doubt at the wrong time, and the moron accuses the someone (who isn't even the prime suspect) of the whole god damn murder! The feeling of getting something wrong, which you believe to be right, is downright crippling to the games' momentum.

The amount of times I've felt like restarting the whole case out pure frustration is innumerable. I think about the evidence, potential motives, where people fit into overall case, and my reward? Getting slapped on the wrist for not staying within some arbitrary guidelines the game has set up.

Every time I warm to the games jaw-dropping tech and atmosphere it just pulls out the rulebook. :(

Edited by Vault Lad

Wish you could roam around the city when NOT on a case. Buy a suit maybe. get a drink

But you can just drive around and explore the city while on cases. Nothing states that you MUST drive to location and continue the story. Sure you can't go drunk driving to the strip club, but you can explore at your own pace after the first few cases.

I don't like how the game looks and feels like Mafia II since I kind of hated that game. I really hope this doesn't start a trend for future Rockstar games. I would hate to see the next GTA play like this. Also not being able to set waypoints sucks a whole bunch.

It's because Mafia II and L.A. Noire share a similar time period, that's all. Also, it's important to note that Rockstar supported in the development, but the primary development was done by Team Bondi. I love the way it plays, it's different, but it works. This isn't GTA after all, it wouldn't be right if it played out the same.

You can set waypoints, but since GPS obviously wasn't around in the 40s, they can't highlight the ideal path for you - instead, if you get lost, you'll notice your partner gives you directions. I don't consider this a flaw, it's a small detail that makes the game very unique and realistic.

You can't do this? How is it an "open world" game then? I haven't played it much yet, but from what I'm hearing I think this will be my least favorite Rockstar game. I will probably have to wait for reviews on future releases now, which is something I never thought I would say.

Pretty sure Rockstar has stated several times now that it is not "open world" in the traditional Rockstar fashion.

You can roam around the city after you finish the game. Not sure if it is possible before hand... you need to enter the CASE section of the main menu and select it from one of the desk folders, depending what desk you want to roam in (Patrol, Homicide, Vice, etc.)

You can roam the city when not on a case.

Every time you finish a desk (traffic, homicide, vice etc) you are given the ability to free roam - street crimes specific to each desk have to be completed.

To go to free roam, go to cases, and then scroll down to the bottom of a desk (traffic is the first "desk" you complete that has free roam) you have finished and the option to free roam will be there.

It's because Mafia II and L.A. Noire share a similar time period, that's all. Also, it's important to note that Rockstar supported in the development, but the primary development was done by Team Bondi. I love the way it plays, it's different, but it works. This isn't GTA after all, it wouldn't be right if it played out the same.

Nah this just isn't true. Both of these games feel very similar. The character movement, the camera, the hand to hand combat, etc. It has nothing to do with the fact that both games are from a similar time period.

You can set waypoints, but since GPS obviously wasn't around in the 40s, they can't highlight the ideal path for you - instead, if you get lost, you'll notice your partner gives you directions. I don't consider this a flaw, it's a small detail that makes the game very unique and realistic.
It most likely wasn't available in the 1800s either, but you can use GPS in RDR.

I made this point in another thread, and was basically told "people who think they know so much about interrogation... blahblah". There were MANY times someone would give a response, then fidget and nervously look around. You'd go "That's a lie", then they'd get all defensive, and you'd get it wrong. That's not a subtle "doubt" reation, sorry, but it's not. Maybe one person who's twitchy to start with fine, but I've had it happen about 3-4 times now. Annoying. At this point, I don't care. I just on immediate instinct and carry on either way. Funny too, I either get maybe one wrong, or I'll botch it completely. I'll go back later if I try to 100% all the cases.

Plus everyone gets angry when you accuse them of lying. Nobody for me yet, has gotten upset, they just get all "Hey buddy! Good luck proving that one."

This is indeed more Mafia 2 than GTA4. I liked M2, so it's no big deal, just the structure of the game is a little dull. You CAN free roam, but you have to go into a menu to. I'd like to solve a case, then wander around. The cases are like bad 50's cop dramas... bad in the cheesy way, not bad as in shitty. Campy dialogue, hokey situations a quick action scene (or two), and end credits (without the credits).

My basic gripes are the controls, especially the driving (no in car = bullshit).

The interrogation, while cool, is getting boring/repetitive.

No ammo inventory display. Now, I haven't run out yet, but I'm assuming you do since one suit gives you "hold more ammo".

Straight out... I LIKE THE GAME... before more people get all bent out of shape. I would have stopped playing by now if I didn't like it. It's just a bit of a letdown.

Nah this just isn't true. Both of these games feel very similar. The character movement, the camera, the hand to hand combat, etc. It has nothing to do with the fact that both games are from a similar time period.

It most likely wasn't available in the 1800s either, but you can use GPS in RDR.

I understand where you are coming from, I'm a fan of both games, and they do feel similar, but I don't believe there is any link between the two other then the fact they are from the same time period. They both use different engines, different developers and different concept... not to mention that L.A. Noire has been in-development for over 6 years. I don't think they "copied" the mechanics, if that is what you are insinuating.

Like I said, I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I just think they feel the same for a reason is all.

Oh, and yeah I see your point there, Redemption did have GPS-like features. Only answer to why L.A. Noire doesn't, I guess, is purely for realism and consistency I guess; and it works, navigation isn't too hard, and the directions from your partner work great. It's the attention to detail I like most about the game to be honest.

I apologies if I am a little bias though. I own a fansite regarding Rockstar, and they sent me out the game a week before it was released, so I honestly have no complaints. Not that I don't respect your issues with the game, nothing is perfect after all.

I apologies if I am a little bias though. I own a fansite regarding Rockstar, and they sent me out the game a week before it was released, so I honestly have no complaints. Not that I don't respect your issues with the game, nothing is perfect after all.

Rockstar is without a doubt my favorite game dev out there. The reason I said I was concerned about the next GTA playing like Mafia II is because they are known for trying things out in their games and then implementing them more and more. Like the errands in Bully, and how they've become stranger missions in RDR. Because of this you have to figure that there will be some zombie dlc in the next GTA, or possibly even an entire game based on zombies. Anyways yea, I just don't like this new engine.

i think people are getting too hung up on this being a rockstar title and comparing it to gta. its a completely different game style and being compared to gta is unfair in my opinion. also i have read the main development of this game was done by bondi (think thats right) so its not a proper rockstar game, they are the publishers.

My turn! I'm gonna complain that this game was not made for the hardcore gamer A.K.A. the unemployed. Sure if you're a casual gamer this will take quite a while but it's gotta be in the ballpark of 30-40hrs. total, even if that. I finished it up today with an average of a little under a disc a day. I didn't mean to blow through it but I wanted to see what was next all the time.

Towards the end the game play actually got a little more fun due to the variety of the characters, I just wish they had done that earlier or more frequently. Also, it's been stated before but I didn't care for the fact that you were ALWAYS in a case. Yes, I am aware that there is free roam but still. I don't want to compare because that is what everybody else is doing, in other R* games you had multiple choices of who to work for or what jobs/missions and if you wanted a break you could free roam instead of having to make sure your game saved, back out to the main menu and then into free roam, not to mention you have to make sure it saves again before you leave free roam otherwise you'll lose whatever you did in F.R. Which brings me to my next point, why are there no save places? Why can't you go back to HQ, maybe "fill out a report" in essence to create a save point? That would have been the easy way to do it. I get that it saves like every 15-20 mins. or after you trigger certain events but that would have given the game that extra edge.

I've been hearing nothing but good about this game but I really hope it doesn't get GOTY, it is beautiful to look at and the controls are great for the most part but it just needed more play testing in terms of: maybe you guys should add this or subtract that.

In the words of Forrest Gump: "That's about all I have to say about that"

So far my only major problem has been the lack of a proper save system. I have a young family so I have to stop playing randomly as things come up and there is nothing worse than going through 2 full interviews then having to quit out to do something else and when I come back, THE SAME DAMN INTERVIEWS!!!

When I get questions wrong it's not too bad because it gives me another chance but when I got all the questions right it sucks having to sit through all the dialogue, that I have already heard, again.

I am not looking forward to doing the cars as I know there are going to be some that I get and will lose them without realizing it when I quit out. Then I will be wondering which cars I am missing for the achievement when I come back to it.

I love the game and gave put in over a full day's worth of time into it, but the way I'm looking at somethings, I get this weird Gran Turismo 3 feeling that I won't get 100% completion. Like when I look at my quick stats from the in game social club, it says I'm 4 points short of level 20, but I unlocked the achievement for it and the official website shows the same thing. @90% complete I feel like leaving it there then finishing everything out and have it reading like 99.8% complete.

Same thing, lol, thanks. However, I do wish that there was one.

It would be nice to have one, thought not critical (obviously). But I must object - they are not at all the same thing. One measures speed, the other measures distance travelled. Do you look at a thermometer when someone asks what time it is?