Mr Scratch - Best Antagonist Ever?

Dont know about anyone else but never have I enjoyed a games 'anti-hero's antics so much. Even in saying this, I think Mr Scratch may be a better charachter than Alan Wake.

If Microsoft and Remedy want this game to sell more than the thousands it already will, I think they should put a TV ad out with Mr Scratch doing his crotch pumps to the song 'Psycho'. Great moment in the game, even though its meant to be chilling.

Anyone else agree? Or think of any better antagonists?

The song isn't called Psycho. It's called "The Happy Song"

and Mr Scratch being the best antagonist is arguable. Andrew Ryan plays that part pretty well.

Fair enough, I didnt actually know the name just assumed :)

Andrew Ryan is a good shout but I still feel that despite the amount of time you see Mr Scratch, you see and understand much more about him, unlike Ryan where most of it is a secret. Scratch just seems to put it all out there and say 'well if you dont like it, go f**k yourself' lol. He is a such a well written character.

Well done Remedy :)

Yes, have to agree that Mr. Scratch ranks as one of the best villains ever. Throughout the game I was torn between two thoughts of Scratch; This guy's crazy and This guy is amazing. It's been awhile since I've played a game where I loved the villain as much as the protagonist.

Unlike most antagonists where they just want to kill for vengeance or for some greater purpose, Scratch kills people just cause the guy enjoys it so much. He has that beautiful kind of crazy where he can make the player love him more than hate him. Scratch reminds me of the Joker and Tyler Durden. All of these characters are insane yet confident and despite the chaos around them, they are the calm within it.

All in all, I was very pleased with how Mr. Scratch was portrayed in this, I couldn't have asked for a better evil half for Alan to go up against.

Yes, have to agree that Mr. Scratch ranks as one of the best villains ever. Throughout the game I was torn between two thoughts of Scratch; This guy's crazy and This guy is amazing. It's been awhile since I've played a game where I loved the villain as much as the protagonist.

Unlike most antagonists where they just want to kill for vengeance or for some greater purpose, Scratch kills people just cause the guy enjoys it so much. He has that beautiful kind of crazy where he can make the player love him more than hate him. Scratch reminds me of the Joker and Tyler Durden. All of these characters are insane yet confident and despite the chaos around them, they are the calm within it.

All in all, I was very pleased with how Mr. Scratch was portrayed in this, I couldn't have asked for a better evil half for Alan to go up against.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I wish Sam Lake would've gone a little bit deeper into the character instead of just saying, yeah he is everything bad written about Wake and just a psycho. The scenes with him killing the victims are also a little bit cliche, though that might be point.

Don't know, I'm just expecting more from Lake considering his work on Max Payne 1&2. Alan Wake is a great character so I felt Mr. Scratch was a bit too boring. It would've been better if he got more insane throughout the game getting to the point were he can't controll himself.

He seems to be the villain I have always wanted to see in games. The only other fair reflection of him (I feel anyways) is the Joker from the Batman games. Some of the stuff Scratch pulls of is hilarious, yet he is meant to be freaking you out.

I dont know the actors name who plays Wake and Scratch but I do feel that he is the cause of the mixed feelings for me towards Scratch simply due to how good he portrayed his different emotions.

The Crotch pump though, that was freaking hilarious!!!!

He seems to be the villain I have always wanted to see in games. The only other fair reflection of him (I feel anyways) is the Joker from the Batman games. Some of the stuff Scratch pulls of is hilarious, yet he is meant to be freaking you out.

I dont know the actors name who plays Wake and Scratch but I do feel that he is the cause of the mixed feelings for me towards Scratch simply due to how good he portrayed his different emotions.

The Crotch pump though, that was freaking hilarious!!!!

His name is Ikka villi. he's a finish actor. he only models Alan, somebody else does the voice, ikka lip syncs well.

• 4 weeks later...

I was actually disappointed in Mr. Scratch.

I thought he was the coolest thing ever prior to entering the game and I thought some of the stuff he wanted to do was awesome and I loved the line when he was like "YOU'RE GONNA SHIT YOURSELF WHEN YOU SEE WHAT I DID", but otherwise his comments when he appeared were just stupid, and his videos were hit or miss. I only liked the Barry/Alice ones and a few others. The party one and killing ones were actually not that interesting of entertaining to me, which is unfortunate.

And to make matters worse, and spoilers for anyone who hasn't finished yet, but I felt robbed of a boss fight with him. There was all that build to a final showdown and we didn't get one. I have no problem with how he was finished off, but there was never a fight with him, like Barbara Jagger (tornado), the Darkness/TVs or Imaginary Barry (the DLCs). Not even much of an enemy rush thing.

He also wasn't explored or explained enough. Granted, that's the nature of Alan Wake and being like a "show", we had something resolved (maybe) but other things were not. I assume the next XBLA title or Alan Wake 2 will elaborate more on what happened when Alan was gone, what Mr. Scratch was, and what Thomas Zane's been up to (and what he had to do with him and why he said "Don't worry about him").

I mean, I liked Mr. Scratch, but I had much higher expectations going into it and was disappointed. Definitely not the best ever, for me. D:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I would love a real sequel at some point. I love the creepiness of the AW game/dlc I would love to see more!!

I was only looking at my achievements last night and was considering going back to American Nightmare for the final achievement. Might boot it up today and give it a 'bitch run'. :)

I was only looking at my achievements last night and was considering going back to American Nightmare for the final achievement. Might boot it up today and give it a 'bitch run'. :)

Nice :) I have all the main achievements, just didn't get the dlc ones yet. Although I still have to complete a few on American nightmare too.