Black Mesa Source @ XBLA?

Ehrenfried

I would love it but it ain't gonna happen. BMS is just a free mod coded for the PC, not an official remake so it wouldn't get onto XBLA and it cannot be sold for profit because the modders don't own the rights to Half Life.

Valve is Valve, they may just hire the mods who made it and license it. Someone else did all the hard work of updating a classic for them. Everyone wins :woop:

Well everyone on Steam would win first while PS3 and xbox owners had to wait for the QA and certification processes to trudge along. :p

Wouldn't be the first time they've done that. Counter Strike originated as a mod and Valve bought the rights after actually assisting with later beta development.

• 3 months later...

Well there really is no telling whether it's gonna happen or not but the second half of Black Mesa is being released midway through 2013. Also Blue Shift and Opposing Force at this time are being remade with updated graphics too Blue Shift will be called Guard Duty and Opposing Force will be called Operation Black Mesa. So why remake Half Life and its expansion packs end of this year or beginning of next year? (with the exception of Decay have a feeling that won't be remade). My guess is they plan to buy the rights to these 3 different Mods license them under Valve's name. Then sell them in the stores probably 2014 at the earliest. They might release Black Mesa in its entirety along with Guard Duty and Operation Black Mesa along with the Xbox 720 & PS4 to stall time to develop Half Life 3. Or at some point on the next gen consoles they could release a kind of second Orange Box with Black Mesa, Guard Duty, Op. Black Mesa, Counterstrike Global Offensive, and Portal 2 maybe? Who knows but only time will tell

Well it's true Valve does treat the PC community better than the console community. But I think there is more money in the console community for them because alot of the things they do on PC are free. If for no other reason it would make good business sense for them to put Black Mesa, Guard Duty, and Operation Black Mesa on consoles to get people exited about Half Life again. I mean let's be honest it's been 8 years since Half Life 2, 6 years since Episode 1, 5 years since Episode 2, and 4 Years since the Orange Box. If they really are going to be making Half Life 3 for next gen consoles they need to get people into the series again. Putting these three remakes on console is a good way to do it. Besides they could charge between 40-60 bucks for that and make millions or possible billions of dollars if they put it on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 Or next gen. But this is Valve they have proven many times they will put time and effort into PC titles and give them away for free for no profit so maybe good business doesn't really matter to them all that much.

Well it's true Valve does treat the PC community better than the console community. But I think there is more money in the console community for them because alot of the things they do on PC are free. If for no other reason it would make good business sense for them to put Black Mesa, Guard Duty, and Operation Black Mesa on consoles to get people exited about Half Life again. I mean let's be honest it's been 8 years since Half Life 2, 6 years since Episode 1, 5 years since Episode 2, and 4 Years since the Orange Box. If they really are going to be making Half Life 3 for next gen consoles they need to get people into the series again. Putting these three remakes on console is a good way to do it. Besides they could charge between 40-60 bucks for that and make millions or possible billions of dollars if they put it on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 Or next gen. But this is Valve they have proven many times they will put time and effort into PC titles and give them away for free for no profit so maybe good business doesn't really matter to them all that much.

Well in Valve's defense it's one thing to give content away for free or for very cheap on their own service because it doesn't cost them anything and they actually end up making money down the road. But for them to release anything on the Xbox they have to play by Microsoft's archaic rules and then it boils down to two sides who have very different philosophies never coming to a compromise and then having the gamers suffer for it, either financially or missing out altogether. Fuck 'em both.

And what are you saying that these days people only want to play Call of Duty if that where the case some of the other HD remakes wouldn't have sold half as well like Crysis HD, Doom 3 BFG, and Halo CE Anniversary. Call of Duty isn't everything and it might be on top now but honestly their popularity is declining ever since the train wreck that was Modern Warfare 3. No I don't agree at all it would work the fact that so many people have downloaded Black Mesa on PC is evidence to the contrary.

Because if Call of Duty doesn't shape up soon then they are going down. Alot of new big next gen titles are coming. ID software is currently working on Doom 4 and have promised to resume the Quake series some time in the near future. Halo is back and bigger then ever. There is talk of Half Life resuming. the Killzone series is going to continue also. Bungie is working on a new FPS series called Destiny. Battlefield and Medal of Honor aren't going anywhere. Gears of War is continuing. naughty dog has promised to make Uncharted 4 happen some time. NO I think that Call of Duty's days are numbered with so much competition on the rise.

Sorry?

Call of duty going down?

The sales climb every single year.

And that's a fact.

I'm in no way saying that I wouldn't buy this game.

But 9 out 10 people will avoid it because it isn't a "run and gunner" and that's a fact.

Yes call of duty needs a big overhaul, but it will still get millions up on millions of people who will buy it, no matter how much people hate it, they still buy it as its the best community game right now, hence why it's been at number 1 in the top 20 played for ages upon ages

• 3 weeks later...

I have some news regarding Black Mesa coming to the console audience. Well sort of, I just found this out lately but Valve stated on December 15th, 2012 that they are currently developing a console called The "Steam Box" which would basically be an console that would hook up to your TV and let you play any games you have downloaded on your steam account. You would still need a steam account, still need to download the games on Steam, and still have system requirements and space on your hard drive. But it sounds like you could play any and all downloaded games you have from Steam on this new console which if you have it on Steam would include Black Mesa. I am not saying that Black Mesa Source, and the hd remakes of its Expansion Packs: Guard Duty (Blue Shift Source), Operation Black Mesa (Opposing Force Source) and Hazard Team (Decay Source) won`t come to Playstation and Xbox consoles at a later date possible like a second orange box or if Valve signed off on the project & made it official (nothing they haven`t done before) and released the These four things in one box. But in the mean time or if that doesn`t happen this is a way to play Black Mesa on console.

Edited by TheSilvermaster

It's a pretty sweet concept, the maker actually has done literal load testing on it by driving a truck over it.

Pretty serious hardware. :p

I saw that too. This is good news for all of us who drive cars over our consoles. It's always bothered me that the Xbox is so cheap and shitty that it can't withstand that.

I'll be avoiding anything to do with Valve and/or their fan-made content for atleast the rest of this console generation. They have proven to me on countless occasions that they don't give a shit about console gamers - more specifically Xbox users - so I don't give a shit about them anymore.

^

I need to take this post out on a date and buy it some chocolates. My thoughts exactly.

I'll just pretend I didn't read that ;)

It's a pretty sweet concept, the maker actually has done literal load testing on it by driving a truck over it.

Pretty serious hardware. :p

lol, I kind of agree with Gackt. I see why a lot of people like their games, but Valve are seriously some lazy devs. The Source engine looks so bad and lacks so many features. Why the hell can't I ADS in Left 4 Dead!?!? Just... fix it! lol, I shouldn't really hate on them, but sometimes I just can't help it.

I DO! For one damn reason... my PC won't play it.

Every single time I try to launch it, I get this shit:

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?t=12671

Tried all this, doesn't work:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9626-UOAC-4950

Worst part is, my PC is capable of running it fine. I mean what the hell. I waited all this time for it, super hyped. WON'T FUCKING PLAY.

/really

I'll be avoiding anything to do with Valve and/or their fan-made content for atleast the rest of this console generation. They have proven to me on countless occasions that they don't give a shit about console gamers - more specifically Xbox users - so I don't give a shit about them anymore.

I thought they hated PS3 too? Did they kiss and make up? Either way I can't hate on Valve too much cause Steam is pretty awesome..too bad most of their games suck.

• 1 month later...

I have another update regarding Black Mesa and The Steambox. Valve has confirmed The Steambox will be launching sometime this year 2013 and apparently the nature of the Steambox is not only to be a way to use Steam as a console but it will have the parts and performance of any computer being a small little cube that hooks into your TV. It will be upgradable meaning you can take it apart and tinker with it if you want, just like a computer, and just like a computer there will be several different models with varying features and prices. In regard to Black Mesa, currently only half of it is released the first 14 chapters of the game but in development are the remaining chapters and a Versus mode for the game. Also the two different developers who where working on Guard Duty (Blue Shift Source) and Operation Black Mesa (Opposing Force Source) have merged to become Tripmine Studios and are developing both mods at the same time so they will be finished faster. The Original Team that was working on Hazard Team (Decay Source) dropped the project sometime last year due to: creative differences, people leaving the team, unable to remake certain parts of the game, etc. etc. However the good news is a different dev team picked up the project and are currently developing the Decay expansion remake. Unfortunately much like Valve these fan-development teams rarely release project progress, and usually use the projected release dates of: "when it's done". So really we will have to wait for both the Steambox and these mods, but it's all said and done we will have the whole of the first Half Life and its expansions remade with modern graphics.

In case you didn't pick up on this but this whole chatroom is about the speculation and possibility of Black Mesa coming to Xbox or other consoles. Consider the fact that next gen titles are on the rise and every major developer needs a big launch title also consider what has Valve been doing since the release of Left 4 Dead 2 Cold Stream and the newest Counterstrike game? And for the record Black Mesa was announced and released a long time ago. This is just a discussion about whether or not Black Mesa is a possibility in the Xbox's future... Besides considering the first thing you did when entering the chatroom was to belittle the Xbox 360's quality I highly doubt you came here with any intention other than trolling or starting arguments.

You now say this is speculation, yet in one of your first sentences you said 'Valve has confirmed the steambox' I'd leave now before you make an even bigger fool of yourself. I'd love for there to be a steam console or even Black Mesa on xbla, but I aint willing to make up lies and make myself look like a Rodney!