I hated the first. Worth buying?

KyKy

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this game is a must for all 360 players. its mega

Glad I got it in a trade recently then.

I'll agree with the OP though his post is really old, that number 1 was repetetive as hell and was so painful to 1000.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

thought id put in my 2cents...

I asked around loads about this game, as i hadn't played the first one and didnt really have a clue what the crack was with it. Everyone said to avoid the first one, and pick up #2 and brotherhood....so i did....and i love them. apparently they're worlds apart from the first.

AC2 is one of those rare games, that for me, has managed to keep COD at bay and out of the tray.

I definitely recommend it!

I agree the first one IS repetitive AND kinda boring. Yet I love it.

So my opinion is if you HATED the first one, you WON'T love this one.

I have heard lots of ppl said the same as you did.

The way I see it, what you actually don't like is the way the game play, not the repetition.

If you love the game, you wouldn't mind to repeat it again and again.

At least that's what I think.

What I like about AC is the re-creation of historical location with excellent graphic.

And the fact that you can run around these locations which are not accessible to me.

Back in AC1, collecting flags sucks('cuz you gain nothing from it), but running around feels great.

So if "you think AC1 is too repetitive and don't like it", you may wanna try 2.

But if you say you "HATE" AC1, the whole Assassin's Creed series is probably not for you.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree the first one IS repetitive AND kinda boring. Yet I love it.

So my opinion is if you HATED the first one, you WON'T love this one.

I have heard lots of ppl said the same as you did.

The way I see it, what you actually don't like is the way the game play, not the repetition.

If you love the game, you wouldn't mind to repeat it again and again.

At least that's what I think.

What I like about AC is the re-creation of historical location with excellent graphic.

And the fact that you can run around these locations which are not accessible to me.

Back in AC1, collecting flags sucks('cuz you gain nothing from it), but running around feels great.

So if "you think AC1 is too repetitive and don't like it", you may wanna try 2.

But if you say you "HATE" AC1, the whole Assassin's Creed series is probably not for you.

i completely agree with him, the second is much better but if you didnt like the first at all you probably wont like this one either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well if free running and killing people isn't your cup of tea, then you're not going to like this one either. The principle is the same, its just far better executed.

Depends on the reasons you didn't like the first.

:Bounce:I agree with this guy! Its just A better game overall. Buy it! lol:Bounce:

Edited by Self_Pwnage
put the face in his txt by mistake

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought AC1 and 2 used in a bundle for £15 about a year ago and while i enjoyed the first initially it got really repetitive very quickly. I almost didnt bother playing number 2 but a friend told me how much of an improvement it was over the original so i gave it a go. It's way better than 1 they improved on so many bad things from the first one.

If you hated AC1 from the start and gave up then you may not like AC2 but if you can pick it up cheap used its definitely worth giving a go.

I'm in exactly the same boat as the guy who created this thread although i did like Assassin's Creed even though the game did get very repetitive.

Ive read through most of the comments on this thread and everyone seems to say the same thing, that Assassin's Creed 2 is far better than the original so i'm definetely going to purchase it ...... maybe even Brotherhood along with it :Bounce:

Yes the concept is the same as the first but the controls and the story is alot smoother in my opinion. I also disliked the first game for how repetitive the missions were and how the movement of Altair was glitchy but the second is far superior to it's root. Also it's an easy 1000 .

Oh yeah, definitely worth buying. Everything that was wrong with the first game is fixed here. I liked the first one, but there was a lot of annoying crap in it, too. The flags have been replaced by 100 feathers (total), and the game tells you how many feathers are in each location and how many you've collected. There are more weapon slots which are easy to flip through, and as the game progresses you can buy better weapons. The combat is improved and there's more variation in the enemies. Instead of always having to run away and then find an elusive "hiding spot" to hide from engaged enemies, you can return to anonymity by simply breaking line of sight for a couple seconds. One of the biggest improvements: after you beat everything in a town, you get a cape that essentially gives you immunity - guards won't take any notice you unless you attack someone or you run right up to them on a rooftop. But the biggest improvement is that you can play the game with all your upgraded stuff after the credits roll; there's no required second playthrough and only one missable achievement (which is really easy to get). That is a TON of fun, and I was starting fights just to kick butt. The only downside is that the story and plot suck.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't read any of the other posts so my apologies if my opinion is repetitive.

The AC series is one of the few series (Games and movies alike) where the sequels are actually better than the original.

The gameplay repetition is broken up very well in 2 & Brotherhood, and as I saw someone say, the storyline of the main character Ezio is much more captivating. He actually has a proper Italian voice! It kind of bothered me immensely that Altair was in the middle of Constantinople etc, but sounded like Mr. American G.I. Joe.

I started the series with 2, then Brotherhood, and finally AC1. I actually had no interest in playing AC at all and thought it was probably stupid, but my wife wanted to rent it anyway and she got frustrated with the jumping/wall running about 10 minutes in so I took over just to get her past that part and well, now I'm insanely hooked on everything that is AC haha.

Most of the gripes I heard from people who came from AC1 -> AC2 were that AC1 was much more repetitive and difficult. The first statement I can agree with, AC1 was pretty formulaic. 10 minutes cutscene to get mission -> eavesdrop -> pickpocket -> beatup -> 2-3 optional side missions -> assassinate -> 10m cutscene.

The open world/sandbox system is put to much better use in the latter Assassin's Creeds.

• 2 weeks later...

The gameplay repetition is broken up very well in 2 & Brotherhood, and as I saw someone say, the storyline of the main character Ezio is much more captivating. He actually has a proper Italian voice! It kind of bothered me immensely that Altair was in the middle of Constantinople etc, but sounded like Mr. American G.I. Joe.

I vaguely remember Desmond asking about the accents and/or why everyone in the holy land was speaking English, and it seems that the animus has some sort of translator. Perhaps animus technology has also improved between the games and they now at least speak English with the correct accent. :)

As for whether the OP will like AC2, it really depends on why s/he hated the first. Wonder what the decision was.

Sounds similar to me..

Got the first £5 new back in 2008 (sealed copy) in a sale.

Played it, did a few Assassinations and really really hated it!

The guards seemed impossible to outrun, I always got my ass handed to me in situations of more than 3 people. Super repetitive and I found it annoying as hell. Then there's this prospect of trying to find millions of flags.. no way.

Now Assassin's Creed 2. Just brilliant, the characters, storytelling, variation, the learning curve. Finally the ability to outrun the guards is at a much more suitable level and you won't have to keep on running for minutes just to escape a few.

It is truly an incredible achievement what they've managed to pull off, considering how stagnant its predecessor was, and one of the most impressive sequels available in the 360 library.

I'm playing it right now, 1 more sequence to go, and I've really really enjoyed it (especially now that I'm almost fully kitted out).

The only issue I ever have with the game is the controls which are not quite as refined as I would have hoped. Sometimes I'll tell Ezio to do one thing and he'll decide to do something else, not the best thing to happen when you're either on the run or pushed for time.

I haven't played Brotherhood (I plan to, hence the reason I'm desperate to finish this game off ASAP), so I can't comment on how much better the controls are in AC:B, but I suppose they should be refined in some way at least.

I'd recommend anyone that fancies a fantastic third-person adventure to buy it, especially considering how cheap it is now, even Brotherhood is very cheap.

• 1 month later...

I'm only on Sequence 1 Memory 5 - start of the game and loving it.

Hated the first one, storyline was good, but the playthrough was awful - same thing over and over.

People saying if you hated the first one, you won't like this, what a load of crap, there is much more to do in this.

Managed to get this for £5 new (shocking for me) and it's the Game of the Year Edition which is a bounus.

Edited by cjdavies