Thoughts about the DLC - Positive or Negative

NITEMARECREATOR

Thoughts about the DLC - Positve or Negative  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts about the DLC - Positve or Negative

• 5* Positive - Exceeded your expectations, it was awesome.
    • 4* - DLC was pretty good
    • 3* Neutral - was not bad
    • 2* - DLC was lacking a little bit
    • 1* Negative - DLC was a complete letdown

went with 4/5. i felt more of a connection to it that say if i hadn't, if didn't play extraction before this i would have gone 3/5 cause i wouldn't know the back story behind the entire thing, its pretty vague throughout it. altho rehashing areas is a bit dull it does tie in the storyline of extraction as well as other things happening on the sprawl.

would have preferred it to be much longer, considering these characters are from a full main game and get 2 hour story for it, annoys me how wafer thin the story is, but what can you do in a 2hour game.

i would have prefered 3 dlc packs explaining some story behind it and extending it, ofc there are more people around and they can show each persons story, but lexine's id say was a pretty key one to the story.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave it a 4 because it was good, but it definately wasn't great.

PROS:

(1) Dead Space 2 Continuity - Coming back through some of the old areas to see the destruction that Isaac caused only a few hours earlier was nostalgic to say the least. When you came back to the Hangar area to see that dead Tripod I really asked myself "Did Isaac really finish it off or is it going to jump at me again?" What a trip down memory lane.

(2) 250 :gsicon: for $7 - Can't really complain about getting 250 :gsicon: for this price these days. Especially when the Black Ops Map Pack gets you 150 :gsicon: for 1200 MSP and don't even get me started on the NFS: HP DLCs.

(3) Story - Visceral Game devs know how to craft an intricate story and Dead Space 2 Severed is no exception. The addition of two character's outside of Isaac's story reaches out and embraces me.

CONS:

(1) Very Short: Although I can't complain about getting more Dead Space 2, it was relatively short, beating it with all achievements in under an hour.

(2) Not As Scary: Sure there were some Oh Shit! moments, but to me they didn't carry the same weight as the scares in the original story. Maybe it is because I didn't play Extraction.

DLC Severed is quite good for me. I gave 4/5 because:

1. Price (560 MS, I thought it will be more)

2. New story - I have Wii game Extraction, but I played only 2 levels. Now I take a look more on that game. Good moments like ending or attack of space shuttle were really good ideas.

3. New suits and upgraded weapons - Patrol suits transeable to DS2 main story with patrol seeker rifle. I like the new suits with ,,one eye,,.

4. Action and timeplay - if there were 4 or more chapters I would give a 5/5 but nevermind. One hour and count of enemies...,OK for that price.

Edited by fumanchu

No new areas. Sure maybe a hallway here and there. Hard to explain without giving away spoilers but alot of Severed takes from "been here before" kind of thing.

Also, I was hoping to see more of Lexine, maybe even play as her. The 2 Chapters end way too fast with the "of course" cliffhanger.

Tip: If you have the Foam Finger Gun, refrain from using it right away if you want to enjoy this DLC.

I thought it was a waste of time. I wanted to know what happened to the main character in Dead Space: Extraction (the guy who had to cut his own arm off to escape) but instead you play as Lex's husband (which I didn't even know she had). I thought this dlc was supposed to expand on Dead Space: Extraction but it just left with more questions.

I thought it was a waste of time. I wanted to know what happened to the main character in Dead Space: Extraction (the guy who had to cut his own arm off to escape) but instead you play as Lex's husband (which I didn't even know she had). I thought this dlc was supposed to expand on Dead Space: Extraction but it just left with more questions.

they all were ment to be heading to the sprawl, so where mcneil went isn't mentioned, if he was on the station, i assumed gabe would have warned him as well as lexine. if anything i thought lexine would have married mcneil if anyone of the bunch.

could be one tieing in mcneil but im somewhat doubtful. i could see a ellie dlc showing up to meeting issac.

i do wonder why they needed her child.

Don't you think mcneil could have been mentioned at least? I mean that guy went through alot and managed to survive after all. Maybe I wouldn't think so poorly of the dlc if they just put completely random/new characters as the stars. Issac is the main character of Dead Space, but don't state the dlc will follow up Extraction when the main character isn't even mentioned.

only one complaint, no new game+ stinks.

i dont care if its short or any other of the million excuses why it shouldn't have new game+. i personally would love a new game+ for a short side game like this.

And its wierd that on the save file it says "round 1". obvisously they can make new game+ happen.

My only problem with the DLC is that the story is, well, lost to me. I have never played Extraction, so thereby the back stories of the characters is one big question mark. I would have loved to have that backstory so I could relate to the characters. Love is universal, and protecting your loved ones is as well, but I wanted to care about these characters more. No problems with the length...just, felt lost while playing it.

My only problem with the DLC is that the story is, well, lost to me. I have never played Extraction, so thereby the back stories of the characters is one big question mark. I would have loved to have that backstory so I could relate to the characters. Love is universal, and protecting your loved ones is as well, but I wanted to care about these characters more. No problems with the length...just, felt lost while playing it.

was thinking they could do a recap like they did for dead space on the first game in the menu. wouldn't be that hard to do surely.

was thinking they could do a recap like they did for dead space on the first game in the menu. wouldn't be that hard to do surely.

I agree. You're right they should...but then again, it could be like the Mass Effect 2 for PS3 thing, where watching a comic or a video isn't the same as playing a full game. Nonetheless, any recap would have been nice.

I agree. You're right they should...but then again, it could be like the Mass Effect 2 for PS3 thing, where watching a comic or a video isn't the same as playing a full game. Nonetheless, any recap would have been nice.

that is true, even 2mins of extraction story footage would have been enough, its not the same as playing it, but for us on the xbox we don't get extraction like the ps3 people.

which would explain everything so i can understand why they didn't.

that is true, even 2mins of extraction story footage would have been enough, its not the same as playing it, but for us on the xbox we don't get extraction like the ps3 people.

which would explain everything so i can understand why they didn't.

actually i played it on the wii, and it is the best rail shooter on the wii. it has a decent story and well integrated co-op. the defining moment of the game is after you fight the big tentacle beast outside the ship (the big beast from Dead Space 1), you arm gets impaled to the ship. so to live you have to waggle the wii mote to cut off your own arm to get inside.

anyways, i took a second look at the extraction plot, and it ends up Lex and Gabe were just boyfriend and girlfriend. so a simple recap of Extraction wouldn't really explain anything.

actually i played it on the wii, and it is the best rail shooter on the wii. it has a decent story and well integrated co-op. the defining moment of the game is after you fight the big tentacle beast outside the ship (the big beast from Dead Space 1), you arm gets impaled to the ship. so to live you have to waggle the wii mote to cut off your own arm to get inside.

anyways, i took a second look at the extraction plot, and it ends up Lex and Gabe were just boyfriend and girlfriend. so a simple recap of Extraction wouldn't really explain anything.

Not necessarily that they're BF and GF, just the bond with the characters would be more important.

4 stars. Overall I enjoyed Severed albeit it was a bit short for my liking, but I'll be playing it again. I would have liked to have a bit more new areas as compared to the old ones, but at the same time I enjoyed going through previously explored areas from a different perspective. I like the idea that there is more going on in the Sprawl while Issac is fighting his way through as well.

On the downside, I hope the developers come up with more story ideas than...

*MINOR SPOILERS*

...that of betrayal. This is the third time in a Dead Space game (at least my experience) that someone who was helping you eventually turns on you. It just seems a bit overdone at this point. I would have also like to see some sort of new game+ be available, because I had tons of health and stuff saved in the store by the end, but then I realized it was all useless since doing Zealot will have to be from scratch.

As far as the price goes, I'm not complaining, 560 points is fine when other games give less content for more money. As a couple examples, anyone who has played the Force Unleashed DLC's would probably agree that 800 points is too much for those levels, even though they are cool, just too little on content. Also, I don't play COD, but I just know that spending 1200 on a few maps for those game seems like a huge ripoff to me.

Anyway, just my thoughts on Severed. Hope to see more Dead Space 2 DLC's down the road.

They were not Bf and Gf in extraction, she was in love with sam who die din the first level. i personally felt more of a connection between lexine and McNeil more than lexine and gabe.

It doesn't have to explain how they became BF GF, but it does need to explain why lexine is so important, as all you really hear is they want her child to study, there is very little behind it.