Achievement Guide (JP version)

Chiaroscuro

Credits goes to nzero from shmups.system11 forums, I just re-posted it here to help anyone with problems with the achievements:

quick tips for the achievements:

- disable automatic savings. Otherwise achievements with tally counts (like smash the car 10 times, bath mania, absorb 65.000 suicide bullets) won't work.

Death Smiles

50 Achievements, 15 are Secret Achievements

• 使い魔の進化 (5)
    Play with manual control of your option/familiar. Version 1.1 only. Use the Option Control button if playing with a stick, just waggle the right stick around if using a pad.
  • 戦いの火蓋 (5)
    Start a game in the Arcade or XBox 360 modes
  • 復活 (5)
    Use a continue(!)
  • 地獄の鎌 (5)
    Defeat Deathscythe (Stage A-1 Boss)
  • 大地に喘ぐ者 (5)
    Defeat Jordan (Stage A-2 Boss)
  • 根を下ろし立つ者 (5)
    Defeat Whroon (Stage B-1 Boss)
  • 継し者 (15)
    Defeat Sakura (Stage B-2 Boss)
  • 羊羊羊 (10)
    Defeat Mary (Stage C-1 Boss)
  • 炎を司る双竜 (10)
    Defeat Bavaria (Stage C-2 Boss)
  • 双子の竜王 (10)
    Defeat Devaria.Givaria (EXTRA Stage Bosses)
  • 次元の扉で叫びし者 (20)
    Defeat Jitterbug (Last Boss)
  • 闇の帝王 (50)
    Defeat Tyrannosatan (True Last Boss)
  • 地獄への入り口 (20)
    Select LVL3 for 5 stages during a game. The 5th time you choose LVL3 you'll activate Death Mode for the rest of the game, with the star-shaped revenge bullets that your option can absorb for items
  • 地獄の洗浄 (50)
    Select LVL3 for all stages, play the Extra stage (Canyon), Final stage (Castle), and clear the game. The Castle stage will be at maximum rank, Death Mode Level 2
  • 任務完全遂行 (30)
    Clear the game without continuing
  • 爆発物禁止 (20)
    Clear the game without bombing
  • 長女 (10)
  • 長女の実力 (20)
    Clear, 1CC the game with Rosa
  • 二女 (10)
  • 二女の実力 (20)
    Clear, 1CC the game with Follet
  • 三女 (10)
  • 三女の実力 (20)
    Clear, 1CC the game with Windia
  • 四女 (10)
  • 四女の実力 (20)
    Clear, 1CC the game with Casper
  • デイオール四姉妹 (100)
    Clear the game with every character
  • 家族との再会 (5)
  • 私の友人 (5)
    Return Windia to the real world or Windia remains in the spirit world
  • 仕返しはほどほどに (5)
  • おなかいっぱい (5)
    Return Casper to the real world or Casper remains in the spirit world
  • ただいま (5)
  • みんなでお風呂 (5)
    Return Follet to the real world or Follet remains in the spirit world
  • 看板娘 (5)
  • 長女の憂鬱 (5)
    Return Rosa to the real world or Rosa remains in the spirit world

For these, there will be two options during each character's ending. The first option will have the character return home, the second option will have them stay

Make sure to watch the entire ending, don't skip past anything until you see the achievement unlock
  • デススマイルズを究めし者 (100)
    Clear all stages at LVL3 in Death Smiles Ver 1.1, including the EX Map, without continuing
  • 究めたエンジェル (80)
    Clear Death Smiles Ver 1.1. Contrary to the achievement description, continuing is not allowed

SECRET ACHIEVEMENTS

• 大食漢 (25)
    Absorb/cancel a total of 65535 bullets with your option/familiar
  • お風呂マニア (25)
    Watch the ending where Follet stays behind (the bath ending) a total of 10 times
  • 廃車処理のお仕事 (15)
    Destroy the car near the end of the Marsh stage a total of 10 times
  • あぶねぇあぶねぇ (10)
    On your last life, clear any stage with a half-bar of life and no bombs remaining
  • 食いしん坊 (25)
    Pick up 4 life-up items in a single playthrough

As continues are permitted, this is fairly easy. The fastest route to life recovery items is as follows:

1-1: Lakeshore (1-C) or Forest (1-B) LVL3
    1-2: Volcano (2-C) LVL3
    2-1: Lakeshore (1-C) or Forest (1-B) LVL3
    2-2: Cemetary (2-A) LVL3, kill the troll for a small cake life-up
    3-1: Port City (1-A) LVL3, 2x trolls for 2 small cake life-ups
    3-2: Marsh (2-B) LVL2, destroy the car for a small cake life-up
    (in the castle, defeating Jitterbug without using a bomb grants a large cake)
  • 友達に手を上げるなんてっ! (10)
    While playing as Windia, wait for Sakura to self-destruct. Playing at LVL1, you'll have to sit through about 10 cycles of bird pattern → pot pattern before she times out. Continuing is OK
  • 弾幕薄いよ! (20)
    Make it to the boss without firing, bombing, or entering power-up mode

The pacifism achievement has to be done with the lakeshore (stage 1-C) as your first stage. LVL chosen and damage sustained don't matter, but continuing isn't allowed. Contrary to the description, bombing is permitted. After your bombs run out, you can ram enemies for a half-point of damage and temporary invincibility to escape
  • 止まって見えるわ! (5)
    Press the Pause Button (Back Button) during any stage
  • Heroine of justice (25)
    Deliver the final blow to every boss at least once by using a bomb, does not have to be done in a single playthrough.

For the castle stage, either Jitterbug or Tyrannosatan is ok for this one
  • お金持ちが好き (25)
    Collect 500 large crowns within a single stage
  • 億万長者 (10)
  • もっと億万長者 (20)
  • もっともっと億万長者 (50)
    Earn a score of over 100, 200, and 300 million points respectively
  • 大復活 (20)
    Continue 50 times

For all achievements: Default settings are required. Only the Ver 1.1 specific achievements can be done in Ver 1.1, the rest have to be done in Arcade or XBox360 modes. No restarts

Death Smiles Mega Black Label

Downloadable expansion for Death Smiles that adds 10 Achievements, 1 of which is a Secret Achievement

• 実力の半分 (5)
    Enter Power-up mode at 500
  • 私の生きる道 (15)
  • 新しい家族 (15)
    Return Sakura to the real world or Sakura remains in the spirit world
  • 忘れられし番人 (15)
    Defeat Ozier (Stage 4-B Boss)
  • CAVEからの挑戦状 (50)
    Clear every level at Lv999 in one playthrough (continues allowed)
  • 欲張りもん (25)
    Build the counter to over 50,000
  • 地獄の扉 (5)
    Select Lv999 for any level
  • 急がば回れ (15)
    Go to the castle stage after clearing both EXMaps (4-A and 4-B)
  • せっかち (5)
    Go to the castle stage without entering either EXMap

SECRET ACHIEVEMENTS

There is one, for 100 gamerscore. We'll know more when this is actually released.

That's some useful information--I'm sure it will help a lot of people on this site! I plan on actually making a real guide (with strategies, full achievement translations, etc) soon...but I've been so busy lately that I haven't even had time to play any game much less write up a guide.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i just realized there is a missing secret achievement, they're supposed to be 15 but i count just 14 in the list.

i think is the one with 3 "B" as icon that should be something like:

• 白馬の王子様 (10)
    Push down each boss with only the bomb

Edited by Pegaso1972

• 2 weeks later...

食いしん坊 (25)

Pick up 4 life-up items in a single playthrough

As continues are permitted, this is fairly easy. The fastest route to life recovery items is as follows:

1-1: Lakeshore (1-C) or Forest (1-B) LVL3

1-2: Volcano (2-C) LVL3

2-1: Lakeshore (1-C) or Forest (1-B) LVL3

2-2: Cemetary (2-A) LVL3, kill the troll for a small cake life-up

3-1: Port City (1-A) LVL3, 2x trolls for 2 small cake life-ups

3-2: Marsh (2-B) LVL2, destroy the car for a small cake life-up

(in the castle, defeating Jitterbug without using a bomb grants a large cake)

This doesn't work.

A-1 LVL3 does not have 2 small cake life up.

Everytime I get the cake in A-2 LVL3, B-2 LVL2 and kill Jitterbug, the achievement doesn't unlock.

Any clues?

u need 4 (A-2 LVL3, B-2 LVL2 and kill Jitterbugg is 3)

get one in Volcano (2-C) LVL3

about A-1 LVL3 i got it, while i didnt find in Lakeshore (1-C) or Forest (1-B) LVL3

Where in level C-3 LVL3 is it? Is there something I certain I need to do or kill?

I can't find them in the Lakeshore or Forest either.

Edit: Nevermind, I got it by making sure I chose LVL3 for every level execpt B-2 LVL2 where I unlocked the achievement. Thanks for the help.

I'm having problems with this though. "Make it to the boss without firing, bombing, or entering power-up mode".

I did it with and without bombs and nothing unlocked.

Edit: It unlocked when I switched to LVL3.

"Collect 500 large crowns within a single stage. "

Any better tips for this? I can start C-2 LVL3 with 1000 on the counter but I can't get 500 crowns. Then again I don't know how many I'm even getting, it barely looks like I'm getting any crowns.

Edited by yamayamayaamaa

"Collect 500 large crowns within a single stage. "

Any better tips for this? I can start C-2 LVL with 1000 on the counter but I can't get 500 crowns. Then again I don't know how many I'm even getting, it barely looks like I'm getting any crowns.

you have to do it at the volcano stage, and you need to activate the power up there

you have to do it at the volcano stage, and you need to activate the power up there

I said C-2, which is the Volcano stage.

When do you activate the power up?

What gives large crowns?

Edit: Got it. I was dying too early. The large enemies and rocks give crowns. For anyone going for this, try to stay alive and in power up mode until you get to the part where large rocks spew out of both sides of the screen, shoot them all!

"Absorb/cancel a total of 65535 bullets with your option/familiar"

This has to be done in Arcade/Xbox 360 mode right?

Edited by yamayamayaamaa

• 1 month later...

Would it be possible to update the achievement list to also show the achievement icon next to each one? I could keep track easier of which ones I have and which ones I need this way. It takes awhile to go through my list and match up the Japanese characters otherwise. Thanks in advance if you are able to do this.

am i the only one with problems with the http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/death-smiles/achievements/ page?

Whenever i open it all the secret achievements i already got appear un-checked.

Then there is a mistake in the new 実力の半分 500でパワーアップをする achievement, that is stated as 80 points instead of 5.

I tried to email the mods with no success :(

• 2 weeks later...

I still don't have an answer to my question of whether or not you can use Ver. 1.1 to get the absorbing bullets with the familiar achievement, but as I was reading a Japanese achievement guide today, it seems to say that you need to basically keep using your power-up mode to bring your meter down all the time, because if your meter is at 1000 down in the bottom left corner, any bullets you absorb at the time don't count towards the achievement. No way to confirm this yet and don't have the desire to try to confirm it, but if anyone else does, let me know of the results.

Does anyone know if choosing "restart stage" disables the 1CC achievements? As in I get to the final level, lose a life and want to restart? When it restarts I still have my score,bombs and lives from before.

Also is it required you goto the Extra stage for the 1CC achievements? I've been skipping it, going straight to the castle.

• 2 weeks later...