Anyone having difficulty buying a house in Falkreath?

IMPOSSIBLE DAN

i figured it out do the rare gifts quest note its a misc. Quest first find the amulet of arkey for the husband if the girl whose mourning in windhelm then get the book for the blacksmith in marthol then get mammoth tusks for ysolda in whiterun then go to the jarl in faulkreath and give him black briar mead hope this helped

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i figured it out do the rare gifts quest note its a misc. Quest first find the amulet of arkey for the husband if the girl whose mourning in windhelm then get the book for the blacksmith in marthol then get mammoth tusks for ysolda in whiterun then go to the jarl in faulkreath and give him black briar mead hope this helped

Ok, I'll say this in a "nice" way so as to not be misunderstood. :)

No.

That quest isn't THE ultimate fix, I have a character with no rare item quests active who CAN'T buy Falkreath land and another who has the Amulet of Arkay quest active and unprogressed who CAN buy Falkreath land. I think that's mentioned several times in this thread already.

Um.... thanks anyway :)

Well what ever it is its remedial, even worse is this is happening obviously frequently and there hasent been an update it hasent been fixed no one has a solution and afer the game and 2 DLC's we are all down about 85 90 bucks on a game that dosent satisfy it annoys. Howhard is it really to play a game after you create it in order to identify and work out the bugs? Oh waite thats why only microsoft has it as of right now. WE ARE TESTING IT SO OTHER PLATFORMS GET THE DEBUGGED VERSION. FUCK BETHESDA AND MICROSOFT IM 100% FED UP WITH MILLION DOLLAR COMPANYS OVER CHARGEING FOR UNFINISHED PRODUCT WTF

Ok, I'll say this in a "nice" way so as to not be misunderstood. :)

No.

That quest isn't THE ultimate fix, I have a character with no rare item quests active who CAN'T buy Falkreath land and another who has the Amulet of Arkay quest active and unprogressed who CAN buy Falkreath land. I think that's mentioned several times in this thread already.

Um.... thanks anyway :)

yup agreed on mine the jarl wont even ask for the meade. i have it but he wont take it. ultimate fix is a bowl first, and a sledge hammer to the game.

Hi guys I made an account purely to see if I can offer help to you all still having problems with this plot.

I was pretty much in the same boat as everyone:

I was able to purchase the other two plots of land without problem. I'd completed the rare gifts quest, I was thane of Falkreath and Helvard was alive. I also sided with the Imperials and had the un-finishable quest of claiming bounty from Sklad and another claiming bounty from Brina which I also cant complete. I'd completed countless side quests for Siddgeir trying to unlock the dialogue but to no hope.

However the thought occurred to me today that I hadn't killed Paarthurnax, I liked the old guy and didn't want to kill him so I kept him alive. Then I wondered if killing him would have an affect on the land unlocking and to my surprise (I was hoping it would cause I was running our of ideas!) it did. Jar Siddgeir offered me one last quest to kill the bandit leader and after I'd completed he asked me to talk to his Steward, Nenya.

To cut a long post short haha, kill Paarthurnax and see if that helps.

Hope this is helps!

EDIT: Just tried this on an old save but it didn't work. I'll keep it here incase it is of help to someone else.

I do however have a couple of unfinsihed quests, I'll complete them and see what happens.

Edited by FelicisAmor
incorrect information

Hey Guys,

So I solved the problem for myself but I'm sure it only works in certain situations.

Previous Situation:

- Sided with Imperials but didn't complete any quests

- Was on the Alduin's Wall main quest

- Received note and became Thane through side quests

- Had option to buy land from Steward (can't remember name) but didn't want to yet

- Killed Helvard for DB so couldn't buy land after as a result of this game being coded by monkeys

Here is how I got out of that particular setup:

I called for the Peace Treaty (Quest: Season Unending) after defeating Alduin in Alduin's Bane quest and this allowed me to transfer control of Falkreath to the Stormcloaks through negotiations which resulted in a new Jarl and new Steward. Went and talked to the new Jarl and he gave me the option to become Thane after helping people in Falkreath, since I had already done that I became Thane instantly. Talked to the new Steward and the Buy Land option was there.

I was so f***ing happy that I can now 100% this game.

AimedBarrel

Edited by AimedBarrel

Hi guys I made an account purely to see if I can offer help to you all still having problems with this plot.

I was pretty much in the same boat as everyone:

I was able to purchase the other two plots of land without problem. I'd completed the rare gifts quest, I was thane of Falkreath and Helvard was alive. I also sided with the Imperials and had the un-finishable quest of claiming bounty from Sklad and another claiming bounty from Brina which I also cant complete. I'd completed countless side quests for Siddgeir trying to unlock the dialogue but to no hope.

However the thought occurred to me today that I hadn't killed Paarthurnax, I liked the old guy and didn't want to kill him so I kept him alive. Then I wondered if killing him would have an affect on the land unlocking and to my surprise (I was hoping it would cause I was running our of ideas!) it did. Jar Siddgeir offered me one last quest to kill the bandit leader and after I'd completed he asked me to talk to his Steward, Nenya.

To cut a long post short haha, kill Paarthurnax and see if that helps.

Hope this is helps!

EDIT: Just tried this on an old save but it didn't work. I'll keep it here incase it is of help to someone else.

I do however have a couple of unfinsihed quests, I'll complete them and see what happens.

Hey Guys,

So I solved the problem for myself but I'm sure it only works in certain situations.

Previous Situation:

- Sided with Imperials but didn't complete any quests

- Was on the Alduin's Wall main quest

- Received note and became Thane through side quests

- Had option to buy land from Steward (can't remember name) but didn't want to yet

- Killed Helvard for DB so couldn't buy land after as a result of this game being coded by monkeys

Here is how I got out of that particular setup:

I called for the Peace Treaty (Quest: Season Unending) after defeating Alduin in Alduin's Bane quest and this allowed me to transfer control of Falkreath to the Stormcloaks through negotiations which resulted in a new Jarl and new Steward. Went and talked to the new Jarl and he gave me the option to become Thane after helping people in Falkreath, since I had already done that I became Thane instantly. Talked to the new Steward and the Buy Land option was there.

I was so f***ing happy that I can now 100% this game.

AimedBarrel

Thanks for both these, unfortunately tried both a long time ago and neither worked.

If not Helvard, seems that anyway the Jarl has gone mad at you for something.

This is the UESP:

If the Dark Brotherhood quest Kill Helvard has been completed, you may not be able to purchase this property.

• http://images.uesp.net/6/66/Pc22.pngYou can inspect the relationship rank with the jarl by using the player.getrelationshiprank console command (normally you should get -2 foe, or worse) and set a good relation (positive, max 4) with player.setrelationshiprank command. A relationship rank of 3 or better will allow you to purchase property. The jarl's ID, which may vary, is required for both commands.

So this is the workaround for PC, but obv 360 users have to wait for a patch.

Bye.

If not Helvard, seems that anyway the Jarl has gone mad at you for something.....

Yep but no clue what and I've tried explaining on the UESP forum several times but once they get an idea there it tends to stick.

However if anyone needs proof feel free to pop round and I'll show you the save game. ;)

• 1 month later...
If not Helvard, seems that anyway the Jarl has gone mad at you for something.

• http://images.uesp.net/6/66/Pc22.pngYou can inspect the relationship rank with the jarl by using the player.getrelationshiprank console command (normally you should get -2 foe, or worse) and set a good relation (positive, max 4) with player.setrelationshiprank command. A relationship rank of 3 or better will allow you to purchase property. The jarl's ID, which may vary, is required for both commands.

So this is the workaround for PC, but obv 360 users have to wait for a patch.

Bye.

Sometimes I wonder if you've shown the PC workaround just to annoy the 360 users that have no access to purchasing said land.

Regardless I read through the entirety of this thread, followed every nook and cranny, and still incapable of purchasing the land. I completed every possible quest plot, pretty much before discovering Falkreath, except for the College of Winterhold and the Dragonborn questline before finding the Elder Scroll, both of which is currently completed. Sided with the Imperials, and I'll be honest, I don't want to start a new character, just for the sake of purchasing a single plot.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, looks like I've made progress. On the same character I thought to be having issues with, I think I might actually be able to get the land now. I completed a mission in Riften that was to locate some Skooma dealer, after that, I went back to Falkreath and Sid (Sid-whatever his complicated name is) actually gave me the mission to get the black briar mead. Thank goodness doing all the stacked up miscellaneous quests has actually done something!

So basically, if you joined the Stormcloaks, you're fucked.

That's nice...

I didnt purchase the three plots of land until after becoming a Stormcloak and sacking Solitude. The only issue I ran into was having to complete enough quests to earn the title of Thane. Once I achieved that, I could purchase the plots of land before even receiving word from the courier.

• 4 weeks later...
Make sure you don't have a radiant open from another location as it locks out the Jarl, check this: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Becoming_Thane and scroll down to the Falk part. I had "The Mirror" open under Misc. quests, couldn't do anything until went back and finished it.

Samurai Ralan's suggestion is spot on! I had a rare items radiant quest to find an Amulet of Arkay for a person in Windhelm. I couldn't find the amulet for a long time and gave up. After getting a hint from the Syrim Wiki site I found the amulet and completed the quest.

Once this quest was completed I could get missions from the Falkreath Jarl, for fetching Black Briar Meade and killing some bandits, and unlocked the ability to purchase land and build a house. Previously I spent an hour trying to buy land but the Jarl wouldn't grant quests and his steward kept giving me the same radiant slay dragon quest that led no where.

Thanks much to Samurai Ralan!

Samurai Ralan's suggestion is spot on! I had a rare items radiant quest to find an Amulet of Arkay for a person in Windhelm. I couldn't find the amulet for a long time and gave up. After getting a hint from the Syrim Wiki site I found the amulet and completed the quest.

Once this quest was completed I could get missions from the Falkreath Jarl, for fetching Black Briar Meade and killing some bandits, and unlocked the ability to purchase land and build a house. Previously I spent an hour trying to buy land but the Jarl wouldn't grant quests and his steward kept giving me the same radiant slay dragon quest that led no where.

Thanks much to Samurai Ralan!

This has also been looked into at length. I've said that I have a character who HAS completed the Amulet of Arkay quests who can NOT buy Falkreath land and IS thane there and another who HASN'T completed the Amulet of Arkay quest and CAN buy Falkreath land.

This quest is NOT a deciding factor.

This has also been looked into at length. I've said that I have a character who HAS completed the Amulet of Arkay quests who can NOT buy Falkreath land and IS thane there and another who HASN'T completed the Amulet of Arkay quest and CAN buy Falkreath land.

This quest is NOT a deciding factor.

I didn't get the option to purchase land until I completed quests for the Jarl. Since miscellaneous quests sometimes do not list an originator (kill giant here, rid this place of bandit leader), you could try to complete as many of the generic quests as you can and go speak to the Jarl, or just get some more jobs from him until he offers you some land.

I didn't get the option to purchase land until I completed quests for the Jarl. Since miscellaneous quests sometimes do not list an originator (kill giant here, rid this place of bandit leader), you could try to complete as many of the generic quests as you can and go speak to the Jarl, or just get some more jobs from him until he offers you some land.

Only the steward (The female altmer, Neranya I think) gives quests here, I'd completed the Jarl's 2 quests, (bandits and reserve) quests and become a thane there a LONG time before Hearthfire appeared but he always refers to me as a miserable wretch no matter how many of the rare radiant quests Neranya hands out to me. I've also done all of the quests for the people in the Falkreath area and completed the civil war quest-line in favour of the empire.

Only the steward (The female altmer, Neranya I think) gives quests here, I'd completed the Jarl's 2 quests, (bandits and reserve) quests and become a thane there a LONG time before Hearthfire appeared but he always refers to me as a miserable wretch no matter how many of the rare radiant quests Neranya hands out to me. I've also done all of the quests for the people in the Falkreath area and completed the civil war quest-line in favour of the empire.

That may be the problem then. Once I completed the bandit extermination job, he made me Thane and offered the land. I had not obtained that title prior to Hearthfire.

That may be the problem then. Once I completed the bandit extermination job, he made me Thane and offered the land. I had not obtained that title prior to Hearthfire.

Yup same here , first time with 1st character just playing the dlc content. I lost track of all the misc quests and just did them until I found the Falkreath ones.

Guessing that if you start on an old save from main game glitches are possible.

Maybe a npc died and you can't progress, but Bethesda usually fixes these issues. Hmmm.

I wish but no, my first main character I stopped using well before Hearthfire who was also a thane had no problem buying the land either, as I said elsewhere the ONLY factor that seems to work in every game/save I have is that the woman at half-moon mill being alive allows me to buy the land and when she's dead I can't.

Go figure... :D

So, no ways to fix this issue? I haven't tried doing more misc quests for the steward to see if she would randomly have the dialogue option eventually so I'm curious if anyone has tried that yet? I can't buy the house in Markarth either as the steward simply refuses to talk to me except for a few occasions when he's willing to give me a quest so I was thinking maybe there is a small chance the steward in Falkreath would suddenly have the dialogue option too? I don't know, wishful thinking I guess. I'm not really that excited about starting a new character :/

So, no ways to fix this issue? I haven't tried doing more misc quests for the steward to see if she would randomly have the dialogue option eventually so I'm curious if anyone has tried that yet? I can't buy the house in Markarth either as the steward simply refuses to talk to me except for a few occasions when he's willing to give me a quest so I was thinking maybe there is a small chance the steward in Falkreath would suddenly have the dialogue option too? I don't know, wishful thinking I guess. I'm not really that excited about starting a new character :/

Markarth is not part of Hearthfire. Morthal is the town to buy the house.

I seem to have a unique problem regarding Falkreath, so I posted this on Bethesda's forum for support for Hearthfire. I have received no responses.:

While I was fortunate enough to get into the betas for both Dawnguard and Dragonborn, I really wish there had been one for Hearthfire since it is the first time I have encountered this significant a glitch in the game. Basically, I simply cannot get the Jarl or the Steward of Falkreath to open the dialogue to purchase land.

I have literally completed damn near everything in the game (now including Dawnguard and Dragonborn). I am already Thane of the three holds in which land can be purchased. As such, I did not receive a letter from the Courier regarding land for sale from any of the three holds – the adoption letter was the only thing added to my inventory. Also, I have completed the Civil War quest line by siding with the Stormcloaks, so instead of the Jarl Siddgeir and Steward Nenya (who originally appointed me Thane), I have their replacements, Dengeir of Stuhn and Tekla respectively.

While I can occasionally get Tekla to open up a dialogue involving killing a dragon or a bandit leader (the one at Embershard Mine seems to be a particularly persistent thorn in the Jarl’s side), no matter how many times I’ve completed these quests, my only reward is a thanks and some gold. I have also completed quests of the same nature picked up from Valga Vinicia in Dead Man’s Drink, but those all end the same way as the ones given by Tekla. The dialogue for purchasing land just does. Not. Come. Up. Ever.

When speaking to each character, besides Tekla's occasional kill-this quests, these are the only dialogue options I receive:

Dengeir - "How are you a better Jarl than Seddgeir?" and "Why did you side with the Stormcloaks?"

Tekla - "You sound nervous about being the new Steward." and "How does a maid become a Steward."

Dengeir generally greets me with a “You’re not as stupid as you look.” But given the backhanded nature of the comment, I don’t know if this means I have his favor or not. So I don’t know if continuing to do these quests will change anything – though I actually suspect not. Based on some things I found on the Interwebs regarding what is a fairly common glitch, apparently, is that there are some radiant side quests that if not completed might gum up the works. So I began running down the list of open quests to complete them all in hopes this might unlock the dialogue.

However, it seems the reason these quests are all still on my list is because I can’t complete them. Let me explain:

Named Quests

• Repairing the Phial – After speaking with Quintus Navale, he asks me to bring him Unmelting Snow, some Mammoth Tusk Powder and a Forsworn Heart. Unfortunately, due to the fact that I already had a Briar Heart in my inventory when starting this quest, when I kill the Forsworn Briarheart in Sundered Towers, the quest does not commence after taking his heart. The quest arrow simply hovers over the corpse. If I travel back to Quintus with the items, he does not respond with dialogue that moves the quest forward.

Incidentally, when during Dragonborn Neloth asks for a Briar Heart, I went back to Sundered Towers. Sure enough the Briarheart was alive again and was still designated by the quest arrow when “Repairing the Phial” is selected. I hoped that maybe there was a slim chance that taking his heart might satisfy both quests. Spoiler: it doesn’t.

Miscellaneous Quests

• Return to Esbern – Okay, this one I can complete, but I don’t want to. Paarthurnax is just too cool. I can’t bring myself to kill him. I mention it merely for reference that it’s still active in case that means anything.

• Collect bounty from Skald – Well, he thanked me and gave me gold, but the quest never completed. It’s still in my quest log, but Skald is not interested in talking about this subject any longer. In fact, after initially completing the mission, I had a quest arrow with the little doorway follow me around the map telling me where to collect the bounty. This did not persist past the first reload, but now I can no longer select it as an active quest despite the Toggle Active command not being greyed out in the menu. Neither Skald, Jod, Madena nor Bulfrek have any quest dialogues whatsoever. Incidentally, it should be noted that having this quest incomplete did not interfere with Skald offering me the plot of land.

• Kill the leader of Uttering Hills Camp – This one’s kind of strange. After working my way to the leader I find him already dead. The quest arrow is there hovering above his corpse. I can search the body, but nothing comes of that beyond the loot. I fire an arrow into him, but being already dead, nothing at all changed. I even tried re-animating and then killing him again, but this did not satisfy the quest requirements either it seems. I reloaded the game and left his corpse there…

• Find Rjorn’s drum – I have. I gave it back to him, actually. I don’t know why this is still in active quests.

• Purchase a house in Windhelm – Oh, boy. From what I’ve gathered, speaking to Jorleif before completing the quest Blood on the Ice locks the player out of ever being able to purchase the house, Hjerim. He has the dialogue option for it, but will only respond with comments about some recent “unpleasantness” and that the house is not ready for purchase. I do not believe I ever initiated Blood on the Ice since it is neither still in my active quests nor the list of those I’ve completed. Consequently, I can never begin the investigation that completes this quest and opens the dialogue for purchasing the house.

The group of NPCs that is supposed to appear in the graveyard never show up. I have even gone as far to steal the key to Hejerim from Tova Shatter-Shield and unlock the door, but once inside this did not make the quest initiate either. When I search around the mansion, I find places that display the ‘A’ button prompt with the text “Investigate InvestigationTarget”, but pressing ‘A’ has no effect. I can pick up the “Beware the Butcher!” notices but no matter how many I obtain, again the quest does not initiate. I’m not 100% certain, but I believe this prevents me from becoming Thane as well.

• Report Leifnarr’s death to his family – I would love to do this, but evidently I found Leifnarr’s body before getting this quest from his wife, Grosta, so his family never opens a dialogue string for me to report his demise. Grosta still mutters to herself about where he might be, however.

• Investigate the Bards College – I have. I’ve completed this quest but it will not drop out of my list. Viarmo has the quest arrow over his head, but his dialogue options are only about how the war has affected the college and what he knows about dragons.

• Ask Aldis for information about Angeline’s daughter – Seems simple enough, he’s right there in Solitude, but the problem comes with the fact that I’ve already sided with the Stormcloaks in the Civil War quest line before initiating this quest. In turn, Aldis, being an Imperial, has been removed from the map entirely. When this quest is selected, the arrow points to Solitude, and when I arrive it hovers above an open spot on the ground where Aldis would be standing when the Imperials still held the city.

While researching solutions to my problem, I found that some players were having difficulty getting the original Jarl of Falkreath, Sidggeir, to give them the land option because they had not completed a set of radiant quests called Rare Gifts. This is a set of requests for items from various NPC characters, among them is Aldis, all of which must be completed before Siddgeir opens the dialogue option. Now for his part Aldis needs a copy of the semi-rare book, The Mirror, of which I happen to still have a copy. There appear to be at least 3 copies of the book in the world, so I’m not 100% certain whether or not I’ve actually done Aldis’ segment of Rare Gifts.

This is just a theory, but since I cannot recall having talked to Aldis at all, I may never have done his segment of this quest, may have never given him the book and now I cannot due to the conditions I mentioned above. Perhaps, despite the fact that the Jarl of Falkreath has been replaced by Dengeir, the condition that all of the Rare Gifts quests need to be completed for the Jarl (or Steward) to give the dialogue option to buy land has been held over and is still in play? My basis for this theory stems from the fact that this is the only quest I mention that has any connection to Falkreath, albeit tangentially by Aldis’ connection to Siddgeir through the Rare Gifts quest and not directly to Dengeir and/or Tekla.

I must emphasize that given that reportedly I must reach level 78 before I’ll see a Legendary Dragon, I really don’t want to have to re-start a game just to get the last 2 Hearthfire achievements. Is there any way to loosen whatever criteria is necessary to get Dengeir and Tekla to sell me the final plot of land?

I really think I'm screwed, tho'.

@ Jack Frost:

It's not unique at all, with the exception of a few quests my problem seems extremely similar.

2 things:

1) Have you killed the female vampire at Half-moon mill near Falkreath or is she still "alive"?

2) I also have a quest I can't hand in to Skald and the inactive diamond refuses to change to an active arrow. If your mill female is alive I'm starting to think Skald may well be our causal factor for the problem. However I sided with the Imperials in the civil war and in my game Skald's holed up in the Palace of the kings at the main meal table watched over by some newly assigned Imperial guards.

Any thoughts on these?

P.S. I did start a new character who'd had no connection with Falkreath whatsoever and the ONLY quests she did for Siddgeir was the "kill the bandits in Ember mine". No "help the people" requirement and she wasn't a thane in Falkreath.

Edited by buggss