is this game any good?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just bought it on sale at GAME here in Aus for $8AUD brand new. Games are released here at $100-120 so it's an epic deal over here.

Anyway I've played the first level so far, it's pretty enjoyable. Well worth the spare change in my pocket.

• 1 month later...

The platforming hasn't improved since the ps1 era, the climbing mechanics and animations look terribly dated when compared to assassins creed or infamous.

I only played for achievements it was relatively painless but will take at least 15hours to 1000/1000. The guide writer is having a laugh with his 7-10hrs estimation.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Tomb Raider Legend was FAR better. It had a generally light tone, with funny conversations over the radio to keep you excited for upcoming landmarks. Underworld took far too dark of a turn, with the radio removed completely and the story gets pretty convoluted when you get your final weapon, which is... (Stop reading now to avoid small spoiler)

Thor's freaking hammer. It shoots lightning and everything.

I bought this in early 09 but only finished the first level. I got the urge to try it again after playing Guardian of Light and I remembered why I didn't play further. This game has some of the clumsiest, non-fun combat ever. The manual aim is slow as hell and enemies take a lot of hits to kill due to apparently no locational damage. Put about 4 bullets in one guy's head and he was still standing. Why they went with the archaic lock-on system over a smooth system such as Uncharted I will never know.

Edited by Killbomb

its a pretty long game, and almost all achievements are for endless collecting (almost 190 ! items) and level completing, completely dull :(

and the storyline..eh what story? I must have missed it

enemies are repetetive , duh spiders like resident evil part 1, just stupid

the controls are at best mediocre since the camera movement makes you wanna vomit at times

legend was FAR better than this boring repetition, no more tomb raiding for me

its a pretty long game, and almost all achievements are for endless collecting (almost 190 ! items) and level completing, completely dull :(

and the storyline..eh what story? I must have missed it

enemies are repetetive , duh spiders like resident evil part 1, just stupid

the controls are at best mediocre since the camera movement makes you wanna vomit at times

legend was FAR better than this boring repetition, no more tomb raiding for me

I have to agree, a friend got an easy 600 and he doesn't do points so I thought I would give it a crack " how bad could it be" the playing of it is crap, the 3rd person view - crap, storyline as above is there one?

It's so dull that it's taken me about 4months of 1/2 hr sessions to get to level 3, I won't quit but I don't fancy doing hours at once....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I dunno.

I dunno cause I lost interest half way through the first level since I was lost and couldnt figure out where to slowly swim to get past drum roll - locked door that require you pick stuff up to insert into it. I coulnt find the stuff. I guess by now I am too used too red arrow pointing me where to go next or hint with a button press or some such. Anyways thats usually a bad sign for me. I am going to try it again tonight.

reporting - after swimming around for 5 min I found the last thing I had to insert into the door. Got to 1st boss jumped around a lil and realized something. After Prince of Persia this platforming is just way sub par. Anyways still cant get into the game.

• 3 months later...

Just in case there is still anyone out there looking at this in the bargain bin, I add my recommendation. I picked this up for £4 and it's well worth the money. It certainly has some problems, notably with the camera angles and a bit of a stupid story (in my opinion), but I found the gameplay enjoyable, with some good puzzles.

One thing I would say is that I didn't really enjoy the dlc packages, especially as they cost me far more than the game itself.

It's quite a good TR game, although don't play it unless you've played TR: Legend, else it might not make much sense (it is the direct sequel after all). And really, considering the length of both games verses that of typical TR games, I kind of wish TR:L and TR:U were just one game. Playing the original TR or TR: Anniversary would also help (there's a reason TR:A was released).

• 4 weeks later...
The platforming hasn't improved since the ps1 era, the climbing mechanics and animations look terribly dated when compared to assassins creed or infamous.
Nonsense. inFamous' idea of climbing mechanics is "let's have the player run up to a wall and mash the jump button as fast as he can until he reaches the top." Tomb Raider might not be the best game with climbing in it, but it's miles ahead of inFamous for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
It's worth that price, if you ask me. It's an enjoyable game, despite a few bugs here and there. And the achievements are really easy to get. :)

x2. I recently completed both DLC packs. It's time consuming just a little bit, but none the less an easy completion if you have the time.

• 2 weeks later...

It's an excellent game, up there with my favorites in the tomb raider series. A lot of the puzzles were excellent and memorable (assuming you aren't an achievement whore who uses a walk-through to solve and find everything as fast as possible, basically accomplishing nothing). Overall the graphics were excellent, the story was solid, level design at times brilliant... etc. If you are into action adventure games then you'll love this, if you are primarily into shooters well then you'll probably want to look elsewhere, because that is not the primary focus of this game.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...