Trying to play Special Ops with a friend - different protocol version?

SHawk996

Both of us are from the US, East Coast (We live 20 min apart...work together). Got copies of MW3, go to play spec ops together, and get this error...WTF?!

"Unable to connect to special ops host, because they're running a different protocol version."

Both of us have the patches for the game. Both can play multiplayer just fine...what the hell?

I'm having the same problem. I downloaded the patch and my buddy hasn't. He tried restarting his box but thats not working.

Yep, ditto. We've both restarted ours multiple times.

I'm a huge user of xbox.com, and just noticed today they COMPLETELY re-vamped the website. I'm sure that's not helping anything...sigh.

A title update went live within the last half hour. You can only matchmaake within your versions. Both restart your xboxes and you'll be fine.

just found out how to fix it, the person who hasn't received the new update needs to clear their system cache then start the game up again, it worked for us anyway!

This happened to my cousin and I as well last night. We were in the middle of a Survival game when He got booted and forced w/ the download of this update. We are in the same apartment, different rooms, I did not get the update.

As we couldn't find anything online about it at the time He tried clearing his cache and when it didn't work then I cleared mine. Haven't had any further issues since.