Do not pay for the extra levels

lemonlacerater

I was hoping that this kind of stuff wouldn't happen on wp7, but I guess it would happen eventually. Please everybody, lets send a message saying that this is not ok by not purchasing this content. If we do everything from now on will have an extra cost.

Take angry birds for example. Would you pay 1$ for each new bird when it became unlocked? Would you pay to unlock levels that other versions get for free? No because it is part of the game and should be in included in the original purchase. This game released today and already had two map packs out. Don't be naive people, this is a test to see if they can milk us for even more then there already outrageous game prices do. Don't let what happened to retail games happen to wp7 games.

Shut up......

Isn't this supposed to be a community where people can discuss things? There was nothing wrong with what Lemon wrote, and it is an issue which deserves discussion, so let us try to treat each other with a little respect.

Because Lemon has a point. And although the levels are one thing, the mushrooms are really quite something else. They are power-ups which are part of the game, and are needed at points. Being given the choice of either waiting for two hours to gain more mushrooms, or paying real money for them, is just plain wrong. You should be able to gain them by performing well, and this *feature* is something which is a game breaker.

As for the levels, the game doesn't come with very many (considering that they are over so fast), but at least people can choose whether to purchase them or not. It is a harder choice with the mushrooms.

I agree that this is a worrying trend, and I do hope that Microsoft see next to no mushroom sales at least.

Edited by Ooyah
Typo

@ east x

If we pay for the levels now, then every other game will start being short on content and we will have to pay more and more for something should be free. If we can wait and not purchase the dlc in the first games that do this then hopefully the will understand that it will not work, and in the end we will receive better games because they won't be just half the content. And we will get free dlc to further our games. I wasn't trying to offend anybody, was merely trying to cut this idea before it became the norm.

I think the game overdoes it a bit on DLC, but on the other hand, it's up to us whether or not we think a new set of levels is worth a dollar - not Lemon. That's surely why everyone is annoyed with him.

Very true, of course. Maybe Lemon was a bit... over zealous. And myself too, in coming to his defence with too much gusto. :)

Just imagine if that mushroom thing spreads, though? Paying for an intrinsic game mechanic is horrible. I know that some games on the 360 give you the opportunity to buy certain items earlier than you might otherwise obtain them in the game, but this is another level to that. The only reason it takes a couple of hours to give you more mushrooms is to frustrate you into buying them, and that is pretty nasty minded. In that way, it is different to the "buying extra levels" thing, which doesn't worry me as much, to be honest, as annoying as it is. The mushrooms are not a nice little extra, or something special... they are a basic part of the game.

Just imagine, for example, an RPG where you can buy healing items with real money, or wait several hours to obtain them. The possibilities for this spreading are endless.

Edited by Ooyah
Typo

Who cares if it spreads? We had horse armor over 5 years ago, and yet we still have games with long, fulfilling experiences with and without DLC.

Buy the items if you want, otherwise don't. Don't worry about this being the first Horseman of the Game Apocalypse, because it's not.

I think people will buy the extra level. I mean its only a dollar on an addictive game. Is it wrong, IMO yes this content should have been with the game. At least world 3 was free adding some new life to this short game. Unless we see an increase in gamer score I wont be wasting any extra money on this or any other game.

Now the issue of the mushrooms... It is ridiculous!!! WTF? Why would I want to pay for them? I have plenty of other things I can do on my WP7 or elsewhere I can wait. Reminds me A LOT of facebook games (which I hate!). Why people get sucked into giving away all there money for nothing is beyond me.... now to figure out a way to capitalize on that idea =)

And another thing... Why can you spend MSP on DLC and more Mushrooms when you cant use them to buy the game in the 1st place? Whats up with that?

Who cares if it spreads? We had horse armor over 5 years ago, and yet we still have games with long, fulfilling experiences with and without DLC.

Buy the items if you want, otherwise don't. Don't worry about this being the first Horseman of the Game Apocalypse, because it's not.

Fine by me if you don't care! ;)

The horse armour was not an intrinsic game mechanic, it was a fancy extra. The mushrooms are a basic game mechanic. Surely you can see the difference there? Whether you care or not. :)

And I don't think this is a Horseman. Just an annoyance. I would more consider it the first Pee Wee Herman of the game apocalypse. :)

Isn't this supposed to be a community where people can discuss things? There was nothing wrong with what Lemon wrote, and it is an issue which deserves discussion, so let us try to treat each other with a little respect.

Because Lemon has a point. And although the levels are one thing, the mushrooms are really quite something else. They are power-ups which are part of the game, and are needed at points. Being given the choice of either waiting for two hours to gain more mushrooms, or paying real money for them, is just plain wrong. You should be able to gain them by performing well, and this *feature* is something which is a game breaker.

As for the levels, the game doesn't come with very many (considering that they are over so fast), but at least people can choose whether to purchase them or not. It is a harder choice with the mushrooms.

I agree that this is a worrying trend, and I do hope that Microsoft see next to no mushroom sales at least.

I played through the whole game, got all the achievements, without spending a penny more than what it cost to purchase the game.

I don't see the mushrooms being any more necessary than the DLC levels. I actually don't mind the DLC levels, they aren't that outrageously priced, I mean it's a dollar for 15 more levels. So basically, you pay half the price you paid for the game, and you get twice the content of what you started with. If you really think this is too much, perhaps you need a better job.

Fine by me if you don't care! ;)

The horse armour was not an intrinsic game mechanic, it was a fancy extra. The mushrooms are a basic game mechanic. Surely you can see the difference there? Whether you care or not. :)

And I don't think this is a Horseman. Just an annoyance. I would more consider it the first Pee Wee Herman of the game apocalypse. :)

I don't know, an apocalyptic Pee Wee Herman sounds kinda scary...

This is par for the course on mobile platforms. They follow a shareware esque model. This practice isn't going anywhere. You either accept it or you lose.

At least you aren't paying for lives or in game money as is par for the course on the Apple app store

I played through the whole game, got all the achievements, without spending a penny more than what it cost to purchase the game.

I don't see the mushrooms being any more necessary than the DLC levels. I actually don't mind the DLC levels, they aren't that outrageously priced, I mean it's a dollar for 15 more levels. So basically, you pay half the price you paid for the game, and you get twice the content of what you started with. If you really think this is too much, perhaps you need a better job.

As I have been trying to say, I am talking about the mushrooms. :) I have no problem with the levels. I have no problem with the price. It is just the concept of paying for a game mechanic that I am perturbed by, that is all. Am I really expressing myself so dismally that my point cannot even be discerned?

Thanks for the job tip, very kind of you, but, using your eyes, you would be able to see, visually, that I am discussing not the actual coinage involved, but the concept, and that the additional levels bother me very little. If you really cannot see that, perhaps you need a better optician. :p

As I have been trying to say, I am talking about the mushrooms. :) I have no problem with the levels. I have no problem with the price. It is just the concept of paying for a game mechanic that I am perturbed by, that is all. Am I really expressing myself so dismally that my point cannot even be discerned?

Thanks for the job tip, very kind of you, but, using your eyes, you would be able to see, visually, that I am discussing not the actual coinage involved, but the concept, and that the additional levels bother me very little. If you really cannot see that, perhaps you need a better optician. :p

FYI, the levels thing wasn't directed at you. I just happened to reply to OP and quote you because you said that having to pay for the mushrooms to finish the game is a game breaker.

My point was, you DON'T have to pay for the mushrooms to beat the game. I beat the game without changing my phone date, paying for mushrooms, or anything. In fact, I didn't even bother being conservative with my mushrooms. I did the two boulder achievements in one level, and the all 4 powers in another level the next day. I didn't wait on purpose, but instead just got bored and came back later. So I suppose if I had tried to get all the achievements in one sitting it may have been an issue, but it was only about 10 hours in between tries.

Anyway, this whole mechanic is nothing new. There are tons of games already out there that use this and similar concepts. If you don't like it, don't buy it. That's about all there is to it.

I was hoping that this kind of stuff wouldn't happen on wp7, but I guess it would happen eventually. Please everybody, lets send a message saying that this is not ok by not purchasing this content. If we do everything from now on will have an extra cost.

Take angry birds for example. Would you pay 1$ for each new bird when it became unlocked? Would you pay to unlock levels that other versions get for free? No because it is part of the game and should be in included in the original purchase. This game released today and already had two map packs out. Don't be naive people, this is a test to see if they can milk us for even more then there already outrageous game prices do. Don't let what happened to retail games happen to wp7 games.

I totally agree.

• 1 month later...

Maybe I over looked but I haven't seen anybody mention there's no new achievements. That's why we pay higher prices for our games. If you compare any identical game (Xbox live) to the iPhone or Android wp7 games are higher. Why? Achievements. I'm cool with that, that's why I got a wp7 phone. Therefore any DLC you pay for should come with achievements (50 in this case). If you buy this DLC you don't understand economics. Nobody should buy any DLC without achievements. If you don't buy it MS will get the message. If you do buy it expect to start paying for all kinds of stuff in the future with nothing in return.

Now Mushrooms (smurfberries). These are dangerous. MS is charging for ammo. I hope people are smart enough not to buy these. If they do it will spread like cancer to other games. Before you know it every other wp7 game will set you back 10-15 bucks to max out achievements.

That's nonsense. Anybody who wants more levels for Beards & Beaks and doesn't mind paying a dollar for them should buy them. New Achievements would have been better, but that's not the only reason to get new content. The new levels also introduce new gnomes, crows, and hazards, so they're actually a pretty good value.

Angry Birds - New levels no new achievements -free - Great

Beards & Beaks - New levels no new achievements - cost - Rip off

Don't get me wrong I love DLC but if your charging give us achievements. If people are dumb enough to pay for DLC without achievements they will spread like cancer to other games. If hardly nobody buys this they would probably come back and add achievements. All it takes is a couple bad apples to spoil the whole bunch. Unfortunately it looks like we already got them apples.

I'm ok with levels, but they're asking to pay for power-ups, or "wait a couple of hours before they regenerate"?

Seriously what the fuck is with that?

I kno right? They gave you a free one, but I didn't realize the 'Mushroom Fueled Excess' Achievement meant you had to win the level too, and I used it on a water level. The magnet screwed me and threw the gems on the other side of a river, I couldn't get them back without buying another mushroom pack :(. Cost me 50¢ for the win