343: Next Halo will be 'much better'

Hishoa

Dark made a point. Call of Duty doesn't 'own' loadouts, perks, or any of that. Thus, Halo didn't "copy" Call of Duty. End of discussion...there's honestly no arguing that, and if you persist to, you're just being stubborn.

What other games have loadouts, PERKS, kill-cams, killstreaks, and prestige mode all in the same game that aren't already copying CoD?

The only other game that has all of this in it that isn't CoD is Crysis 2 which guess what is biting off them as well.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that Halo needed to evolve. It did that on every entry, but the core of the gameplay always stayed and had always been teamwork, map control and the trinity of guns, grenades and melee. Most of that was lost in Halo 4. Map control is a thing of the past since ordinance spawns wherever the fuck at whenever the hell intervals. Guns are the only useful way to fight now, grenades don't do a thing in terms of damage and are useless besides sticking people and melees are useless outside of back smacks because everyone spawns with a goddamn shotgun.

Pretty much. Reach changed a bit from Halo 3's competitive experience, but the core gameplay was still there...despite the maps sucking total ass. Halo 4 doesn't feel the same as previous installments.

It's a run-and-gun type of game now. Much like...dare I say it...any other Multiplayer FPS on the market.

The game just failed as a whole on the multiplayer end. It's still fun from time to time, but it's just a shell of what Halo used to be. It's just plainly obvious that the multiplayer didn't get as much attention that it needed.

I wrote more than I wanted to here and went off on a tangent but whatevs. Part of me is obviously really sad with how this game turned out and it's hard to not show it.

Well, at least your voicing your opinion instead of trying to force yourself to enjoy the game as I did almost all of December. One could hope that Halo 5 will have an enjoyable Multiplayer experience, but I know it's not gonna happen.

What other games have loadouts, PERKS, kill-cams, killstreaks, and prestige mode all in the same game that aren't already copying CoD?

The only other game that has all of this in it that isn't CoD is Crysis 2 which guess what is biting off them as well.

*Yawn* Have you played Max Payne 3, Far Cry 3, or even Assassin's Creed Brotherhood/Revelations/3? They have almost all these features and just because they do...they aren't copying Call of Duty. Call of Duty influenced them, of course, but they're not "copying" the damn game.

I know for a fact you're not going to reasonable so if you choose to reply (which you will because I know stubborn people like you) don't expect me to waste my time trying to tell you that...

CALL OF DUTY DOESN'T "OWN" ANYTHING.

TL;DR; If you are defending Call of Duty so much, hop off these Halo Forums and go chat with people of the Black Ops II Forums.

Because Call of Duty isn't a videogamers Videogame. Call of Duty has been adopted as the go-to game for all of the casuals that will buy and play just a single game. I've been to midnight launchs for a CoD game before. Half the people in that line couldn't tell me how many Call of Duty games there are in the series or even what the name of the console is they'd be playing the game on.

And Population size online doesn't necessarily mean anything. Different people in different time zones play at different times of day. You're talking about players in countries all around the world. 100,000 people at a time might represent a country or two, but that doesn't account for people that are working, sleeping, or otherwise unavailable during the same time on the other end of the planet. And even at only 100,000 players, it's still 4th most active game on Xbox Live. If you go by that standard of judgement, does that mean any game with 100,000 people or less online sucks? So games like Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Far Cry 3, and Mass Effect 3 suck? Not mention offline games that don't even generate an online population like Catherine, Dragon Age, Fallout, Skyrim, etc...? The argument of "Only 100,000 people" has no basis for a game being bad.

And Population size online doesn't necessarily mean anything. Different people in different time zones play at different times of day. You're talking about players in countries all around the world. 100,000 people at a time might represent a country or two, but that doesn't account for people that are working, sleeping, or otherwise unavailable during the same time on the other end of the planet. And even at only 100,000 players, it's still 4th most active game on Xbox Live. If you go by that standard of judgement, does that mean any game with 100,000 people or less online sucks? So games like Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Far Cry 3, and Mass Effect 3 suck? Not mention offline games that don't even generate an online population like Catherine, Dragon Age, Fallout, Skyrim, etc...? The argument of "Only 100,000 people" has no basis for a game being bad.

That still doesn't explain its steep drop in activity following the weeks after release. Your argument of people being online at different times of the day does not change the notion of Halo 4 perhaps being the worst rendition of the game in the series. I believe player count plays a significant role in whether or not a game is "good" -- if a game (that is multiplayer-heavy) can't hold the attention of a consume for a reasonable amount of time (2-3 months), I would argue that makes the game "bad"; this is compounded further by how embarassingly low Halo 4's online activity has dipped within its three month debut. I remember people saying "oh, wait until the DLC comes out.. they'll flock back!" or "just wait until Christmas, it'll surely correct itself".. nope, nothing -- 343i's lack of a some sort of definable skill system and working playlists absolutely killed this game's multiplayer. It's dull, repetitive and frankly, unrewarding. I sincerely don't blame any player who's put Halo 4 on the shelf and moved to greener pastures.

Half the people in that line couldn't tell me how many Call of Duty games there are in the series or even what the name of the console is they'd be playing the game on.

Duh. Because the majority of people who play Call of Duty are under the age of 24 and have the attention span of 5 minutes...which is why they need to play a run-and-gun shooter that involves no strategy or teamwork.

Halo 4's online activity has dipped within its three month debut...

It's dull, repetitive and frankly, unrewarding. I sincerely don't blame any player who's put Halo 4 on the shelf and moved to greener pastures.

And I don't blame them either, the game is boring. A lot of us know that and are agreeing with that.

But for Razor to say that all of Halo's players went to Call of Duty is a childish argument. He makes it seem like Black Ops II is the only other game on the market, and therefore, it's everybody's fall back game.

Which isn't true. What about the Single Player gamers who still play Skyrim (which still has a very active community), Assassin's Creed 3, Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, and Dishonored? What about all the Arcade games that are fresh from last year? What about the people who are still playing Battlefield 3? Or the multi-platform gamers who play a little bit of each game on their 3DS, Xbox 360 and PC?

Just because Razor likes Black Ops II and thinks it's better than Halo doesn't mean everyone else does, and that everyone else has chosen to fall back to it.

Edited by BiggD

At this point honestly I'm just kind of waiting for something to come out. Jumping around with Oblivion, Fallout 3, Halo 4, and Anarchy Reigns. Ended up cancelling Tomb Raider because they announced a multiplayer component for it, so right now the only game I'm looking foward to is GTAV and Dark Souls 2 (Keeping an eye on Splinter Cell too. Looks like it might be a return to series roots.)

At this point honestly I'm just kind of waiting for something to come out. Jumping around with Oblivion, Fallout 3, Halo 4, and Anarchy Reigns. Ended up cancelling Tomb Raider because they announced a multiplayer component for it, so right now the only game I'm looking foward to is GTAV and Dark Souls 2 (Keeping an eye on Splinter Cell too. Looks like it might be a return to series roots.)

Tomb Raider is a day 1 for me multiplayer or not. and GTAV of course. I'll probably get Bioshock Infinite too.

I'm with you. I had to cancel my pre-order of Tomb Raider as well. It's not the fact that it has Multiplayer, it's the fact the achievement list has 15 MP achievements and they're all ridiculous. Instead of them taking it easy and making them something along the lines like 'finish a match on every map' they go ahead and create total luck-based ones. The rest of the list is complete shit and doesn't have ANY Story-progression achievements. Besides $60 for a 10 hour Tomb Raider Campaign? No thank you.

I'm just finishing up Mafia II and Sleeping Dogs. Crysis 3 next month will keep me busy until GTA V arrives.

Dark, do you know when Dark Souls II is supposed to come out? I've been looking forward to that one.

And I don't blame them either, the game is boring. A lot of us know that and are agreeing with that.

But for Razor to say that all of Halo's players went to Call of Duty is a childish argument. He makes it seem like Black Ops II is the only other game on the market, and therefore, it's everybody's fall back game.

Which isn't true. What about the Single Player gamers who still play Skyrim (which still has a very active community), Assassin's Creed 3, Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, and Dishonored? What about all the Arcade games that are fresh from last year? What about the people who are still playing Battlefield 3? Or the multi-platform gamers who play a little bit of each game on their 3DS, Xbox 360 and PC?

Just because Razor likes Black Ops II and thinks it's better than Halo doesn't mean everyone else does, and that everyone else has chosen to fall back to it.

If you look at my post, you'll see that I didn't include the bit from Dark that referenced CoD. I only made the case that Halo 4 couldn't hold the attention of its audience, and therefore concluded that the game isn't as good as earlier titles (possiibly even as a game itself), and that I'm not surprised that fans are exploring other games, CoD or not.

I will say, however, the CoD is more successful with its own features (classes, perks, ordinance/killstreaks) simply because that's what its player base expects. Halo 4? It seems 343i is having a very bad time.

I don't think they've got a release date for Dark Souls 2 yet, but for some reason Fall rings a bell with me. Probably shooting for a September or October release. Definitely can't wait for it though :D I loved the first one. I just hope the multiplayer is a bit more accessible than the first one. I'd rather they just make a permenant co-op instead of having to find and summon people in every area (or at the very least, give us the ability to single out friends without having to drop the summon sign 200 times.)

I'm with you. I had to cancel my pre-order of Tomb Raider as well. It's not the fact that it has Multiplayer, it's the fact the achievement list has 15 MP achievements and they're all ridiculous. Instead of them taking it easy and making them something along the lines like 'finish a match on every map' they go ahead and create total luck-based ones. The rest of the list is complete shit and doesn't have ANY Story-progression achievements. Besides $60 for a 10 hour Tomb Raider Campaign? No thank you.

I might reconsider the day 1 then. I'm a huge Tomb Raider fan. I might start TR Anniversary Japan version, I love that game.

Halo 4 couldn't hold the attention of its audience, and therefore concluded that the game isn't as good as earlier titles, and that I'm not surprised that fans are exploring other games, CoD or not.

I will say, however, the CoD is more successful with its own features because that's what its player base expects. Halo 4? It seems 343i is having a very bad time.

Well...I can agree that Halo 4 can't hold the attention to those who play it and that Call of Duty is indeed a successful franchise.

343 tried and they messed up. Halo 5 won't be any better.

I don't think they've got a release date for Dark Souls 2 yet, but for some reason Fall rings a bell with me. Probably shooting for a September or October release. Definitely can't wait for it though :D I loved the first one.

I'm excited! I only played a bit/saw some gameplay at a friend's house of the first one unfortunately but I'm going back this summer and playing through it for myself. Seems like a very, very good game!

I might reconsider the day 1 then. I'm a huge Tomb Raider fan. I might start TR Anniversary Japan version, I love that game.

I had never played any Tomb Raider entry before :p I've watched my friend play through the older ones countless times back in the day but I never bothered playing them. This one caught my attention until all the shit with MP and achievements. I'll probably be missing out on a good Single Player experience...but it wouldn't be the first time that happens to me, lol.

I don't see any reason to cut out the game just because of a few achievements. Don't let acheivements run your life! D: If you still think the single player will be awesome, than go for it. Personally I backed out because I hate what they've done with the game. It was originally a Survival Horror with QTE button sequences, both things I love. But now that they've added multiplayer, it's become apparent how much the gameplay isn't what I thought it was going to be. Multiplayer is going to be another bland and bleak run n' gun shooter and they're going to adapt that gameplay into the Campaign as well. What it boils down to is this game's sadly attempting to become just like Uncharted. I don't want another Uncharted. I'll go play Uncharted if I want Uncharted. I want the Survival Horror Tomb Raider that I was promised with lots of dark caves, vicious traps, and stranges tribal warriors. Not Helicopters and crashing Airplanes and all the other stuff that wouldn't be available when you're STRANDED ON A FUCKING ISLAND! Makes about as much sense as LOST and I hated that fucking show.

I don't see any reason to cut out the game just because of a few achievements. Don't let acheivements run your life! D: If you still think the single player will be awesome, than go for it. Personally I backed out because I hate what they've done with the game. It was originally a Survival Horror with QTE button sequences, both things I love. But now that they've added multiplayer, it's become apparent how much the gameplay isn't what I thought it was going to be. Multiplayer is going to be another bland and bleak run n' gun shooter and they're going to adapt that gameplay into the Campaign as well. What it boils down to is this game's sadly attempting to become just like Uncharted. I don't want another Uncharted. I'll go play Uncharted if I want Uncharted. I want the Survival Horror Tomb Raider that I was promised with lots of dark caves, vicious traps, and stranges tribal warriors. Not Helicopters and crashing Airplanes and all the other stuff that wouldn't be available when you're STRANDED ON A FUCKING ISLAND! Makes about as much sense as LOST and I hated that fucking show.

I'm worried about this too. Too much new style gameplay and it's nothing like the classics or even legend & underworld. I'm waiting for remakes of TR 2&3 though that will possibly be a very long wait.

Well I never base my purchase off achievements, it's only this game that has me doing so and it's because of my OCD with my completions :( Truth is though, I might end up getting it during the summer when its price has dropped because I still can't see me enjoying it that much.

But I know what you mean, after reading everything about the game and seeing everyone's reactions, you're not the only one who's dissatisfied with the fact that they've made it more Action-Adventure/Run-and-Gun and less Survival-Horror. It's a shame.

Let's get something straight, I don't think Call of Duty is a better game than even Halo 4. I love Halo, it's been my favorite series since the first one. It's because I love it so much that I am hurt to see it brought so low. I hate that they felt they needed to make Halo like every other shooter to sell more copies.

Don't get me wrong I play Call of Duty, but it really sucks. But it is the most popular and successful game around for a reason. And that's why everyone tries to copy their formula thinking it will bring their game just as much success.

There was no reason to bring custom classes, kill-streaks, kill-cams, perks, and prestige mode to Halo. None whatsoever. It was change for the sake of change. What really pisses me off is that for months they kept saying Halo needed to innovate and evolve when all they did was make it like every other FPS on the market. Nothing about Halo 4 is innovative. It's mimicry at its best.

Let's get something straight, I don't think Call of Duty is a better game than even Halo 4. I love Halo, it's been my favorite series since the first one. It's because I love it so much that I am hurt to see it brought so low. I hate that they felt they needed to make Halo like every other shooter to sell more copies.

Don't get me wrong I play Call of Duty, but it really sucks. But it is the most popular and successful game around for a reason. And that's why everyone tries to copy their formula thinking it will bring their game just as much success.

There was no reason to bring custom classes, kill-streaks, kill-cams, perks, and prestige mode to Halo. None whatsoever. It was change for the sake of change. What really pisses me off is that for months they kept saying Halo needed to innovate and evolve when all they did was make it like every other FPS on the market. Nothing about Halo 4 is innovative. It's mimicry at its best.

Well here I was thinking you were a Black Ops II fan and came on the Halo forums to bash it. I do apologize for my wrong assumptions...

Halo 4 needed to change. It had to, it couldn't stay the same as Halo 3. But, the manner in how it changed isn't acceptable to many, myself included.

Halo's Multiplayer is boring and sucks now. That we can all agree on.

Halo 4 needed to change. It had to, it couldn't stay the same as Halo 3

You are only saying this after the fact. If Halo 4 was Halo 3 with HD graphics and a few new tweaks (in the same fashion that Halo 3 was Halo 2 with a few tweaks) You would love it. We'd all love it and eat it up every day for breakfast lunch and dinner.

It would have sold just as much if not more than it ended up selling. The only change Halo needed was to return to it's roots and not put out Reach 2 which it ended up doing.

You are only saying this after the fact. If Halo 4 was Halo 3 with HD graphics and a few new tweaks (in the same fashion that Halo 3 was Halo 2 with a few tweaks) You would love it. We'd all love it and eat it up every day for breakfast lunch and dinner.

It would have sold just as much if not more than it ended up selling. The only change Halo needed was to return to it's roots and not put out Reach 2 which it ended up doing.

PThe only similarities I can draw between Reach and Halo 4 are Armor Abilities and a progression rank system. IMO, Reach is miles ahead of Halo 4.

Edited by Hishoa