FAQ: How to Stat Grind and Create Strong Characters

Asturgis

Well, it is also a matter of defeating a BR70 Absolute Conqueror or a BR130 one lol I followed your advice, I am in Numor Mine and I am BR05 lollllllllllll

As soon as I get my party upgrade, it's boosting time :)

Grind in Obsidian Trail in Blackdale, but I advice you only do it until you can beat the rest of the quests (which was BR 15 for me) like killing the Ancient Dragon and Validus.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it man (sorry, my english is good but not that good), what do you mean I need to grind in Blackdale until I can finish the quests. If you were BR 15, then it is roughly 10 fights for me right now. I am BR05 and if I fight anything I take 2 BR a pop :)

So are you telling me to do all the disc 1 side quests with a low BR and grind after ? Is that it ?

The idea is to postpone grinding until you get the 6 leaders you want and all the soldiers to fill out your team.

Also, even though your Battle Rank will rise quickly the fact is you will get more stats from it. For example if you are fighting a relatively easy monster and at the end it says your strength went up, in reality it might have went up 1 point. Whereas if you are fighting really hard monsters and it says your strength went up, it went up 5 points. So even though your battle rank rises quickly, your stats go up faster than if you are fighting weaker monsters.

OK :) I didn't get it. But it is proving difficult to plan this whole thing up. Sooner or later, I will have to fight and I will take 2 BR at a time. In this case, my stats will suck, right ? I will get to BR20 in like 10 minutes, but won't my characters be even weaker than on my first playtrough ?

Enter Blackdale, go to the right into the new area. There is a Skull Scavenger group there. Kill it, go back to the previous area, save, reload, and then kill it again. Repeat this until you are satisfied with your unions and can go on with quests and the story, or until you reach BR 30 (they stop giving nice stats after that).

The rest was answered by Eektor, ty ^^

I think I am going to have to restart again... Rush has already learned 2 single-hand arts, and uses only those even if I equiped him with two katanas from the start. I also have about half the soldiers you suggested, but the other half isn't on my officer list. And I am using teams with 2 healers and 1 lotion + leaders, but for some reason one team NEVER gives me the option to resuscitate. Something is wrong and I'd better start again. I'm fed up with this game.

Thanks for your Blackdale advice, with a BR 7 party, these two birds are hard as nails, I manage to win 1 out of 5 fights, it uses all my herbs and I don't have cash to buy some more. Maybe I should have grinded a little more before this point, until say level 10.

I think I am going to have to restart again... Rush has already learned 2 single-hand arts, and uses only those even if I equiped him with two katanas from the start. I also have about half the soldiers you suggested, but the other half isn't on my officer list. And I am using teams with 2 healers and 1 lotion + leaders, but for some reason one team NEVER gives me the option to resuscitate. Something is wrong and I'd better start again. I'm fed up with this game.

Thanks for your Blackdale advice, with a BR 7 party, these two birds are hard as nails, I manage to win 1 out of 5 fights, it uses all my herbs and I don't have cash to buy some more. Maybe I should have grinded a little more before this point, until say level 10.

There are enough herb and lotion users there, and I don't have problems with commands coming up. Don't forget to buy herbs, almost all my money went to herbs and I have at least 80 of each I can use at all times. About Rush learning 2 one handed skills already, it shouldn't make that much of a difference, I wouldn't start over because of that.

Here are the names of my soldiers so you can search for them (maybe 1 or 2 are after Nest of Eagles, but you can't have 9 soldiers in your unions before that anyway): Deacon, Beiroth, Glauque, Sutherby, Canna, Atis, Gene, Caplan, Damecus.

Gene and Caplan will be replaced when I find better ones.

Well, I'm pretty scared that my Rush wil have Emmy's flaws : a slow developement because he will have to concentrate on two weapon styles and not one. On my first playtrough, he had only dual-wield arts and he was a beast. I'm not that far anyway...

For your squads, I am missing Sutherby (my favorite) but have Lunderby for now. I also put Riddle and another "weapon arts only" guy who had a lot of HP, just in case. All the others (Deacon, Canna and Atis) are also in my party, but Beiroth, Glauque, Gene, Caplan and Damecus are not available to me. I have replaced them with similar characters, but their HP is really weak.

At BR 07, if I make 3 unions of 4, my HP are like 1400, 1200 and 1100, and if I do 2 unions 1800 and 1400, which is hardly enough for the bird thnigie in Blackdale lol

Well, I'm pretty scared that my Rush wil have Emmy's flaws : a slow developement because he will have to concentrate on two weapon styles and not one. On my first playtrough, he had only dual-wield arts and he was a beast. I'm not that far anyway...

For your squads, I am missing Sutherby (my favorite) but have Lunderby for now. I also put Riddle and another "weapon arts only" guy who had a lot of HP, just in case. All the others (Deacon, Canna and Atis) are also in my party, but Beiroth, Glauque, Gene, Caplan and Damecus are not available to me. I have replaced them with similar characters, but their HP is really weak.

At BR 07, if I make 3 unions of 4, my HP are like 1400, 1200 and 1100, and if I do 2 unions 1800 and 1400, which is hardly enough for the bird thnigie in Blackdale lol

Beiroth should be available for you, I'm quite sure of it. The others come just before Nest of Eagles. On my second playthrough (I ruined the first like everyone else :p) my Rush had one handed, dual wield AND two handed (I like having all skills) and he was still quite a beast with 2 Parrying Tataraichi's. I beat everything on that playthrough including all DLC bosses. So, again, it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Weird, I could grind on Skull Scavenger groups easily. Maybe you're fighting wrong. Keep most units on standby except for 1. If they get hit, pull them back and heal, and send in a different union to deadlock them. If a union dies, you have union 3 to deadlock, and another union to revive. Just try to never get more than 1 union deadlocked and you should be fine.

How do you "chose" which union will do the deadlock ? It is always, always my first unit (Rush). And how do you "pull back" a union as you say ? last but not least, if on a turn everybody uses combat arts, everybody is locked, right ?

To give an example on what commands prevent a union from being deadlocked:

Stay on your toes

Set up the field

Attack from afar

There are a few more but these come to mind right now and gives you the idea.

So, use any command where they do not attack or attack from afar with 2 unions, and use combat/mystic arts with the remaining union. There you go, only one is deadlocked.

You can't really pull a union out of deadlock just like that. But, they will most likely get hit by the enemy, and the command ''Heal yourself with mystic/item arts'' will come up. This will get them out of deadlock (as the warning message already tells you, unless you put that off in the configs)

That's what I thought and observed but I wasn't sure, as it is hard to understand what happens sometimes. Now I understand why people use Hexes and Evocations : to attack from afar without being deadlocked. It confirms my opinion : Caedmon is a must have, and yours : Irina too.

BTW, how do you train her Psionics (I can get Bluff to Bluff II and learn 2 new moves if she's in the roster but that is it, other battle options never appear) and should I choose "Combat arst for sure" or "Mystic arts" when she asks me twice ?

I'm grinding in Blackdale, the fracking birds ALWAYS kill one guy in Rush's team (or another). It pisses me off GrrRRRrrr :(

I will soon have 0 gold and won't be able to buy herbs. Do you know where I can make money without my BR going up ? I could run through levels to find chests with money in it, but what pain...

I think except the Rhagoh quest which gives 10K (and the boss is hard as nails), no quest on Disc 1 will give me money. Oh, yeah... The one with Validus lol. At what BR should I tackle him ?

Edited by Asturgis

I thought I screwed up with my group when I got rolled by the enlightened 7 add-on, but really it was because I was to low. I played a 5/5/5 then entire game and got up to BR120 before pwning the absolute conq. I was able to beat every DLC boss once i was 110-120 but it was more a matter of having a good amount of HP. As it stands now my unions have 9130/8233/9506 HP respectively. So just level in the Ancient Ruins Metopan Tier and kill the Ancboldrs.

Further more I never had second chance or fatal eclipse yada yada. I only had blackout (which personally I think sucks compared to gae bolg). All I needed was Baulson to have Heaven's Gate which he got during my fight with the Welkin Dragon. With that coupled with everyone else's specials it was smooth sailing (mostly).

Edited by Sasuke11

Yeah that's always been my main issue when fighting bosses on this game

I could do more than enough damage but my HP just didn't cut it, it's quite annoying really, they have HP but not much attack, I have attack but not much HP

Well that'll change this time around I hope, just completed all the quests on disc one except Silver Falcons Part Two, I think I'm about to enter Aqueducts so back onto disc two soon which is when I can really start leveling :D

I'm doing the most annoying quest ever now: The Assistant. Hope I'm done soon because I can almost go back to grinding. I also want all quests done a.s.a.p. I only finished the quest to open Athlum's guild before the others to get my team completed (Jager)