when to research?

anomalous views

so i made it to the 8 page of threads and didn't see this question.

Is there a reason to not fully research until later in the game? are the research bonuses higher when you research a tougher lead head, spider..., so on and so forth. Just wondering in case i should not fully research until later levels.

Actually research as much and as often as you can! If you hold off you will most likely miss out of maxing it. Security Cameras and Nitro Splicers were the hardest for me. Mainly do to the number of them and how good of score you can get and how much that score gives you. There are some enemies that you see very few of, and going back in the levels things are less populated. So definitely do not hold off. I took pictures of absolutely everythings I ran into until I maxed it out.

thank you for the response. i can max out all the research with no problem, at any point in the game (most of them in Neptunes bounty or the level right after, though). I was just wondering about the bonuses. but you did not mention it being better to wait and neither did any one else, to bad that would have been good incentive to hold off on research until later in the game. I've gone ahead and beaten the game in all its splendor. i was just hoping to maximize damage. to be honest though, with the right tonics and a little patience. I've never dropped below a full clip of any ammo or below 6 med packs or eve hypos in any fight. (even fighting off two big daddies right after each other)

again thank you for the response.

• 4 weeks later...
the only one I didn't max out was the bouncer

where are they?

I always find the big daddies but not the bouncers

Bouncers are a type of Big Daddy. They are the ones with the drill or lance for a right hand and are some of the first ones seen. They can be seen in a few levels afterwards too. I recommend researching them as soon as possible and maybe even taking a couple photos of each to reassure you the achievement for maxing out research if you don't have it already.

I highly recommend researching earlier. The Big Daddies, Little Sisters, and Security can prove difficult to max out - sometimes you are stuck photographing the same one two or more times to get the achievement for maxing out all research. Researching earlier allows you better abilities and allows you to deal more damage to your enemies that you couldn't get otherwise. Researching a splicer from an earlier level is no different than researching a later one - it just gives you less time to max out their research tract. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I just finished the game this very moment, and it looks like I didn't fully researched the Little Sister and the Bouncer.

Since there are no more Big Daddies alongside Little Sisters, I guess I won't be able to complete these 2 researches in this play through, right?

If you saved or harvested every Little Sister in the previous levels, then the Research PhD achievement would be impossible to get on that playthrough if you didn't fully research them.

You can always find Big Daddies wandering around Rapture, however.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

If you're playing on hard, definitely research as much as early as you can as you deal more damage to researched enemies. If you're doing a play-through on easy to wrap up some cheevos then I would wait until you have photographer's eye. A good strategy on hard is to blast em with some liquid nitrogen, snap some shots, then blow their brains out with explosive buckshot.