Beyond Good & Evil HD

daishichi

Beyond Good & Evil HD

As you may have heard, Xbox Live is re-releasing the original BG&E as a downloadable game, upgraded to HD graphics. I'm really looking forward to playing it again (and getting achievements for it!).

I think this is a very strong sign that the sequel is moving forward...unless the DLC bombs. Per this IGN article:

"If you're a diehard fan, it's a likely bet that Ubisoft will be watching to see how well this re-release does before deciding on the fate of the sequel...considering how few people played it the first time around, there's a ton of you out there who should go ahead and set some Microsoft Points aside for Beyond Good & Evil HD".

Sucks that BG&E2 is a sort of hostage to market whims, but I'll be doing my part and grabbing it on release day (not set yet, but "soon" should mean Q1, or at latest Q2).

• 1 month later...

The game is officially out and they did a stupendous job porting it. Too soon to have any worthwhile sales data, but we should know soon enough and, as you said, I'm sure the fate of the second game will depend on the success of this one. At a $10 pricetag, though, nobody has an excuse not to buy this gem.

Bought it 8am on release day, finished the Slaughterhouse last night. As enjoyable (and obsessive) as I remember.

I must agree. It's only a shame the achievements were so easy and the game was so short. Would've been neat if they had added some more bonus missions or side stories to the remake. I finished the game 100% in a few hours, which apparently was fast enough to get me first on the 200/200 board.

So I was curious about sales figures, so I scrolled down on the leaderboards to see how many players appeared there: my screen froze up at 11, 155. So at $10 each, that's $111,550 earned on this arcade release, assuming it froze up at the bottom of the list. Not so encouraging re: warranting a sequel, I'd say (Limbo sold 300,000+ copies).

Meanwhile, I have to admit to an embarrassing position of 1075, due to getting only 95% complete: I missed the Vorax's Lair, which can only be done when you have Peyj as a partner. I got everything else, all animal pics an M-disks, but that one pearl seems to subtract 5% from 100%.

There are a few different factors to take into account regarding the sales of an Arcade game that could have an effect on its sales. It does goes past the 11,155 point you stated, so that's a good sign. The limitations of HDD space or lack of Xbox Live hinders a lot of people from being able to purchase it. A lot of kids underage also can't get access to MS points unless they buy the card from the store. The lack of 1000 achievement points or common prejudice against the purchasing of arcade games either because of a fear of being too short and limited in features or lack of physical data (having a disc and case) will deter people from buying it. Plus it's only been a few days. I'm sure a ton of people will pick it up as the month goes on.

These are all issues that BG&E2 wouldn't have. It'll be a full retail game with a shelf life and 1000 Gp to draw in players that wouldnt even normally play it (as sad as that is, at least it's financial support.) BG&E2 will, by default, do better than the original primarily for two reasons.

1. The hardcore fans that played the first either on the original consoles or the HD port and loved it enough to warrant a full-retail purchase of the sequel.

2. The achievement hunters, including our own X360A community, who will be after those 1000 Gp regardless (the one real saving grace of the existence of achievements IMO. It may support and encourage undeserving games like Movie Licensed trash, but it also gets more support for those little gems that otherwise would've been ignored)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...